2013 Malaysian Grand Prix build-up in pictures

F1 Pictures

Giedo van der Garde, Caterham, Sepang, 2013

Malaysia is the destination for round two of the world championship and the teams are all set at the track for action to begin tomorrow.

Here’s a selection of pictures from the build-up to the race weekend.

F1 pictures

View more F1 pictures

Images ?? Ferrari spa/Ercole Colombo, Lotus/LAT, Mercedes/Hoch Zwei, Red Bull/Getty, Force India, Sauber, Caterham/LAT

31 comments on 2013 Malaysian Grand Prix build-up in pictures

1. faulty (@faulty) said on 21st March 2013, 15:15

Keith, any chance to have the photos of Alonso and Rivola cycling around Sepang? They’re on a flash slideshow in the Telegraph story about Jenson, but they’re really tiny and one of them looks like desktop material.
    Thanks.

2. Van der Garde’s helmet is fantastic! Are we seeing another Vettel-esque helmet changer I wonder (hopefully not)?

• andae23 (@andae23) said on 21st March 2013, 16:30

I believe not: he mentioned on Twitter the helmet change is because Malaysia is Caterham’s ‘home race’. It does look spectacular though!

• @andae23 – thanks, phew! Agreed though, what a wonderful design! It’s a good deal better than many of the ones Vettel churns out anyway!

• @vettel1: Why can’t they keep the design if they’re good. Why do they have to make a one off deal?

• @aish – I’m guessing it’s either for PR reasons or because they are specifically to commemorate or symbolise something, so as much as I’d like to see certain helmets retained it’s unlikely to happen.

For Vettel though, I do find it quite interesting sometimes to see what he comes up with his designers! I particularly liked Austin’s last year.

• George (@george) said on 21st March 2013, 17:48

Yeah I really like it, great style.

3. John H (@john-h) said on 21st March 2013, 16:28

We always hear how drivers need to be at the peak of fitness and how much of an athlete you need to be to be successful in F1, however as far as I can tell Kimi seems to have ‘let himself go’ a bit lately and yet he just won the last race? Mentally he’s clearly in a good place by eating a few pies now and again, so good for him I say! (or am I way off the mark here?)

• AlonsoWDC (@alonsowdc) said on 21st March 2013, 17:30

You probably are.

Do you have any proof or indication that a WDC driving at top level in 2013 has ‘let himself go?’

• Standing next to Grosjean will make most F1 drivers look like they let themselves go..

• zippyone (@zippyone) said on 21st March 2013, 19:52

You are way off the mark.

I think it’s the opposite, Kimi appears to be fitter this year than last, he barely seemed to break a sweat in Oz, do you remember when he used to get out the car all red face and sweaty – not always on especially demanding tracks.

And he is 33 now, same age as me – he’s about 20 days older than me I think, wish I was half as fit as him.

4. The shades that Kimi wears are Oakley, I looked for them and they’re flippin’ expensive, not to mention Kimi’s ones are gold plated, and custom polarized, whatever that means…
    Oakley is his sponsor too.

5. shon (@lsd25) said on 23rd March 2013, 10:41