2013 Malaysian Grand Prix grid

Caterham

*Three-place penalty for impeding Nico Rosberg

2013 Malaysian Grand Prix

Browse all 2013 Malaysian Grand Prix articles

109 comments on 2013 Malaysian Grand Prix grid

1. matt88 (@matt88) said on 23rd March 2013, 10:08

Considering how the launch control and tyre management worked one week ago for Ferrari, I’m quite optimistic for the race. My prediction is that they’ll have to take care more of Hamilton than Vettel, Mercedes has shown consistency during the whole weekend and I wouldn’t be surprised of seeing them fighting for victory.

On the contrary, I don’t believe that Lotus will be able to perform again their ‘trick’ with tyres, a 4th-5th place for Kimi is more likely if no accidents happen to the guys in front of him.

And McLarens? The uncertain weather is the classic ‘Button situation’, maybe a shower can help him to achieve an unpredictable win as Alonso did one year ago…

2. Alex Brown (@splittimes) said on 23rd March 2013, 10:40

I know so many have said it, but well done Felipe. Looks like he’s been gradually ramping up his game since coming back from the accident, rather than going all out from the get go. Hopefully will make the constructors championship more interesting than the last three years!

• @splittimes – I know it’s early days yet, but I think you could even say Ferrari are constructor’s favourites currently – Massa is doing a good deal better than Webber relative to his teammate, and Vettel & Alonso are fairly close. Massa is doing a very good job though – maybe Ferrari’s decision to retain him was the right one after all (fingers crossed)!

3. RandyMandy (@randymandy) said on 23rd March 2013, 11:07

Hamilton/Rosberg will be fighting for the victory along with the top 3 and kimi…

4. Oana Cambrea (@cutteroz) said on 23rd March 2013, 11:46

I don’t think it was the fresh set of tyres that helped Vettel be a second quicker than Massa. I think it was the fact that the car was setup for rain. Red Bull had a good nose there, from my point of view. I’m sure he’s going to win tomorrow though. The Ferraris have a really strong pace. Plus, Hamilton and Sutil, again were quite good. I don’t think they should be underestimated. We’ll see what happens tomorrow.

• Oana Cambrea (@cutteroz) said on 23rd March 2013, 12:27

I meant to say I’m sure Vettel is not going to win tomorrow. Sorry about that…

• Palle (@palle) said on 23rd March 2013, 12:40

The RBR9 is probably one of the best in the wet, but so is the Mercedes and neither of those, nor Webber was close to Vettel – he outclassed everyone in Q3 today. But for the race tomorrow it will be difficult for him, especially if it is dry all race, then he will get in trouble with tire wear, and Kimi might triumph again, despite starting 10th.

• Tifoso1989 (@tifoso1989) said on 23rd March 2013, 13:58

I think it was the fact that the car was setup for rain

There is no rain set up in a track like Sepang, the “rain set up” is relevant only on 2 circuits on the calendar Spa & Monza. In all the circuits you need the maximum downforce of the car and that’s exactly the case when it rains. Spa & Monza are low downforce circuits ,you don’t need the maximum amount of downforce from the car to be the fastest in dry conditions, but when it rains you do
      So like i said this “rain set up” talk is only relevant in Spa & Monza

I’m sure he’s going to win tomorrow though

Well it depends on the weather, that RB9 is the fastest car on a single lap, even in race pace it is very strong but their problem is that they have an extra amount of downforce which is very good but not with the 2013 Pirelli tyres ,the weather tomorrow is uncertain but i’m sure the dry conditions will be a nightmare for the Bulls, their only chance is the rain

• Oana Cambrea (@cutteroz) said on 23rd March 2013, 14:51

Yes, I agree with that, I meant to say NOT going to win, but I hit send too early.

• Enigma (@enigma) said on 23rd March 2013, 19:16

@cutteroz

Well both Ferraris were on fresh tyres as well, so that’s definitely not the difference. But it could be they’re hoping for rain.

@tifoso1989 There’s no big setup change between dry and wet but there’s certainly a few things in the setup you can change to be quicker in the wet.

5. BasCB (@bascb) said on 23rd March 2013, 15:40

The fun part is, that we still don’t really know who is fast and who is not after this qualifying! Might get interesting tomorrow though.

6. Chris (@tophercheese21) said on 24th March 2013, 2:34

Obviously Vettel would get pole, but for sure it’s great to see Massa on the front row again.

7. Ivano (@) said on 24th March 2013, 2:54

Bianchi is going to win any way. ;)