Di Resta: Aborted Q2 lap was team’s call

2013 Malaysian Grand Prix

Paul di Resta, Force India, Sepang, 2013Paul di Resta says the decision to pit during Q2 which cost him a chance to get into the top ten was down to his team.

Di Resta aborted a lap on a dry track to chance tyres during the session but when he returned to the circuit the rain had started to fall.

“We obviously hit it wrong,” said Di Resta after Q3. “We’ve got it wrong on the pit wall, I think.”

“We should have continued the lap we were on at the beginning. We chose to abort and unfortunately on the out-lap it started raining.”

He added the team had seen the incoming shower on their radar: “Yeah they had done and essentially it was their call, they called me in, so I’m sure they’ll stick their hand up to it.

“They’re only trying to do their best job. It’s frustrating as it is at the moment, you just need to calm down slightly before you go back into the office.

“But we’re all out here to do one thing and that’s to be quick. Up until this point this weekend I must say everybody’s been at the top of their performance level we’ll keep plugging away and we’ll be constructive about it.”

“Unfortunately after such a strong weekend from where we were I think we’ve got a lot of work to do tomorrow,” he added. “But on the positive side we’ve got a strong car and essentially that’s going to be key to getting us through. We have got four sets of fresh rubber, people who’ve surrounded us will have the same but we won’t give up without a fight.”

The missed opportunity caused some friction in the garage, Di Resta’s engineer telling him “don’t shake your head at me” as the chequered flag fell on Q2. “We misjudged it,” he added. “It looked like it was a completely different tyre set.”

Deputy team principal Bob Fernley said: “It’s just disappointing, a little bit deflating, when you think you should have put them both into Q3.”

2013 Malaysian Grand Prix

Browse all 2013 Malaysian Grand Prix articles

Image ?? Force India

51 comments on Di Resta: Aborted Q2 lap was team’s call

1. Coronis (@coronis) said on 23rd March 2013, 13:11

The point here is, even if your team has made a mistake, him coming out and publicly blaming for them isn’t a good move. It can only worsen his relationship with the team, and obviously, fans don’t like it. Get on with racing, mate.

2. Michael Brown (@) said on 23rd March 2013, 13:19

Maybe they chose to abort it because his sector times weren’t good enough. Whatever the reason, it’s never Paul’s fault. Never.

3. Chris (@tophercheese21) said on 23rd March 2013, 13:36

Lol if anyone follows him on twitter, it looks like he’s been trying to make amends for his somewhat negative comments about the team. Lol

4. I love the Pope said on 23rd March 2013, 14:34

Sutil out qualified DiResta. Sutil is better. :)

5. Damien Blackman (@hyakuyagami) said on 23rd March 2013, 15:08

All drivers complain sometime but DIR is starting to get to me and I am pretty tolerant of driver quirks.

I think it’s mainly because at the moment he isn’t showing aptitude or attitude. He wants to be picked up by a top team but isn’t showing any really stand out results his team mates don’t replicate or better, and on top of that slagging of the team now?

I’m not a Sutil fan really but finding myself being drawn into his camp in the force India battle. Now there is a man driving like he is glad to be in a F1 seat.

• Joe Papp (@joepa) said on 23rd March 2013, 18:33

@hyakuyagami

Exactly! That kind of attitude and energy from Sutil makes it comparatively EASY to support him! He genuinely knows the value of the seat he has in existential terms (work that out) as opposed to sponsorship dollars or salary. To do something as unique and amazing as be an F1 driver, but then have that taken away from you (Regardless of how you might’ve precipitated the loss), yet then get it BACK AGAIN…it can’t help but encouraging sympathetic, admirable emoting on the part of Sutil that draws us fans to him. And then compare Sutil’s sheer joy at driving again to Di Resta’s interminable whining and, welll…Go Sutil!

6. Tom L. (@tom-l) said on 23rd March 2013, 15:45

Paul di Resta says the decision to run wide and then spin in Turn 8 during Q2, which cost him a place in the top ten, was down to his team.

“We’ve got it wrong on the pit wall, I think,” said Di Resta after Q3. “We should have continued trying to drive on the racing line. We chose to spin and unfortunately it didn’t improve the laptime.”

He added the team had predicted the potential loss of time through spinning during simulator work: “Yeah they had done and essentially it was their call, they were remotely controlling the steering wheel, so I’m sure they’ll stick their hand up to it.

“But we’re all out here to do one thing and that’s to be a bit mediocre. Up until this point in my F1 career I must say everybody’s been at the top of their performance level, so we’ll keep plugging away and we’ll be constructive about it.”

“We have got four sets of fresh excuses, people who’ve surrounded us will have the same but we won’t give up without a fight with my engineer.”

Sutil’s more eye-catching start to the season has caused some friction in the garage, Di Resta telling him, “Don’t drive so fast, how do you expect me to get my long-overdue promotion to a top team and prove that I’m better than Vettel? After all, I beat him in F3!” as the chequered flag fell on Q2. “We misjudged it,” Sutil apologised. “I’ll work through the data with the engineers tonight and see where I can lose some more time.”

Deputy team principal Bob Fernley said: “It’s just disappointing, a little bit deflating, when you think they should both have dropped out in Q2 like true midfielders.”

7. F1Yankee (@f1yankee) said on 23rd March 2013, 16:29

man, nobody slags their team as much as this guy. how does he still have a drive?

8. electrolite (@electrolite) said on 23rd March 2013, 18:09

I dunno guys, I think he and the car were looking pretty handy watching the onboard. If it weren’t for the rain im sure we’d have seen both FI’s in Q3. Whether it him or the team that made the call us a different matter.

And spare me the British nonsense please. I’m no Di Resta fan myself.

9. AbeyG (@1abe) said on 23rd March 2013, 20:47

I dont understand. DiResta spun twice in Q2 on those medium tires. If the team asked him to abort, its the right call since he wasnt doing anything. He could have choosed to go out with inters though.

• panache (@panache) said on 24th March 2013, 5:06

He spun twice when it was raining on the track. This happened after they originally sent him out at the start of the session only to abort a timed lap and bring him back into the pits.

10. Deurmat (@deurmat) said on 24th March 2013, 14:20

Time to make some room for Bianchi, Paul.