Vettel: “I hope we have enough tyres to survive”

F1 Fanatic round-up

Sebastian Vettel, Red Bull, Sepang, 2013In the round-up: Sebastian Vettel is worried about tyre wear ahead of the Malaysian Grand Prix.

Links

Your daily digest of F1 news, views, features and more.

Red Bulls angered by tyre wear in Sepang (Reuters)

Sebastian Vettel: “I hope we have enough tyres to survive the race and it is not a lot of fun and that is how it is.”

Hamilton: I never wanted a year out (The Telegraph)

Lewis Hamilton claimed on Friday that he had never intended to take a sabbatical from Formula One, despite Bernie Ecclestone?s assertion this week that Mercedes? ??60 million signing was prepared to leave the sport for a year rather than remain any longer at McLaren.”

Hamilton: Race pace is better (Sky)

“I wasn’t really able to exploit it over a single lap, but nonetheless I’m happy with where we’re standing. I think we’re stronger race-pace wise. If I’m honest when we did the long run it felt pretty strong and we went for quite a few laps.”

The Pursuits Interview: Luca di Montezemolo (FT)

“We are committed to drastically cutting fuel consumption and lowering emissions. But to us it was never something we made a lot of noise about. It is like washing your face, something you quietly get on and do every day.”

Button becomes a GPDA director (Autosport)

“Sebastian Vettel remains in his role as the other director alongside Button, while Pedro de la Rosa keeps the chairman’s seat despite swapping his HRT race drive for a Ferrari development role.”

Life with a limp (ESPN)

“Martin?s stock had been rising throughout that debut season in 1990. Split times during the fateful lap showed that, had he completed it, the Ulsterman would have qualified on the third row; his best grid position that year.”

Australia 2013 – race edit (F1)

Highlights from the last race.

Tweets

Comment of the day

Traverse on whether IndyCar star Will Power can finally claim the title this year after three near-misses:

If Will Power has the willpower to win, he will win. But if Will isn?t filled with the will to win, there will be no willpower to help Will Power win.
Traverse (@Hellotraverse)

From the forum

Happy birthday!

Happy birthday to Cacarella, James Newnham, TommyC and George!

On this day in F1

Kimi Raikkonen scored his first F1 victory in the Malaysian Grand Prix ten years ago today.

The podium was completed by Rubens Barrichello and Fernando Alonso.

Image ?? Red Bull/Getty

45 comments on Vettel: “I hope we have enough tyres to survive”

1. I’m really sorry for Vettel…

2. Chris (@tophercheese21) said on 23rd March 2013, 0:27

Perhaps Pirelli should just bring the Medium and Hard to every race.
    As a viewer, it’s kind of frustrating to watch, when drivers get into a good battle, and just when something’s about to happen, someone’s tyres go off the cliff.

I only they could make a tyre slightly less durable than the 2010 Bridgestone, yet still be able to push 100% on them. Perhaps they can, but who am I to say. I guess I’m just getting a bit sick of how dominating an issue these tyres are. It should be about racing, not conserving tyres.

• robfff said on 23rd March 2013, 0:38

It annoys me when I have to sit back and try watch drivers go as slow as possible and avoiding battles in order to focus on keeping the tyres alive. Whats the point of fast drivers in F1, when they are not allowed to push the car?

Sure there are counter arguments like “its the same for everyone” and “good drivers can look after their tyres while still going fast”, but you know when most the drivers come out and say “this is not what we signed up for!”, that there is a real problem.

• Aussie Rod (@aussierod) said on 23rd March 2013, 1:48

You clearly didn’t see any of Alonso’s race in Melbourne. He was pushing like mad from lap 1 to lap 58.

• Mike (@mike) said on 23rd March 2013, 2:02

when most the drivers

Other than Red bull, who else?

• SeaHorse (@seahorse) said on 23rd March 2013, 2:45

I doubt the notion that only the Pirelli’s tyres limit the pace of the cars. Even the rev limiter has a say in the speed of the car I guess. But, as Pirelli’s motorsports director Paul Hembery says even last year the teams used to say similar things and imaging what happened in the second half of the season?

• AldoG said on 23rd March 2013, 6:38

I agree and can understand your frustration. What annoys me the most are the rules: if they believe that having rubbish tyres that melt and disintegrate after few laps, at least let the drivers use as many tyres they want or need to go fast, and to use whatever compound suits their driving style. As it is now, it is just annoying.

• @tophercheese21 the problem is that everyone is trying to get their way, and since they tyres seem not to be the liking of red bull they complain.

3. zippyone (@zippyone) said on 23rd March 2013, 0:43

Fantastic comment of the day :)

4. skipgamer (@skipgamer) said on 23rd March 2013, 1:06

If Red Bull didn’t focus on ensuring they were able to adapt their car set-up to deal with this years tyre characteristics then they have no one else to blame, as other teams obviously have.

Blaming the tyres themselves is a complete cop-out.

• SeaHorse (@seahorse) said on 23rd March 2013, 2:50

@skipgamer

+1 The other teams which manage tyres better did not bring their cars out of nowhere. Barring McLaren almost all the teams have evolved their cars from last year. Whether you are able to win or not you should not blame the tyres for that, least because all teams are supplied with the same high degrading tyres.

5. Perico said on 23rd March 2013, 1:13

I find completely annoying that EVERYDAY since last season someone is talking about the tyres… it looks like Formula Pirelli, not Formula One. Tyres seem to be more important than the cars, teams, or drivers, something is wrong.

6. wsrgo (@wsrgo) said on 23rd March 2013, 1:30

COTD reminded me of that funny press conference with ‘Juan/one’ (The ‘juan’ and only Juan Pablo Montoya).

• Hamilfan (@hamilfan) said on 23rd March 2013, 2:39

Yes !! it was ” to the rising number one of formula one, juan , one wonders if one only should win one formula one one year or would juan woud’ve won that one in round one , juan ?

7. JB (@) said on 23rd March 2013, 1:42

I find it terribly funny how now he complains about the tyres… He´s the first to publicly do so. Interesting! I thought he was great at looking after his tyres…

8. OmarR-Pepper (@omarr-pepper) said on 23rd March 2013, 1:49

I hope the race is not bad for Red Bull… but as well as for any other. I mean, it would hurt the show so much if Alonso, Bianchi or whoever going well starts going back, exactly like it happened to Raikkonen last year in China, just for the tyres issue

9. McBride (@mcbride) said on 23rd March 2013, 2:18

awwww peaches, I’m sowwy…..

(My response to Vettel)

10. mantresx (@mantresx) said on 23rd March 2013, 2:33

I have a theory on why Red Bull degrade the tyres more.
    It all comes from their setup, having found more downforce (than the other teams) they can take the corners faster but the front tyres suffer more degradation, also the shorter gear ratios mean they accelerate faster and get to their top speed earlier but at the expense of the rear tyres because there’s a higher longitudinal force.
    Yes that setup makes the ultimate laptime but it’s too hard on the tyres, I think Red Bull should try a more “conventional” one and trust that their drivers will do the hard work of attacking and defending on track, the way it is know if they’re not at the front they’re sitting ducks.

11. Mlracing (@mlracing) said on 23rd March 2013, 2:48

His country man’s car also disliked the black gold for 3 years. The problem with the tyres is that it’s good for the show, but F1 drivers should be on the limit of the car every lap (atleast they shouldn’t be limited by the tyres from the get go). But sadly we can’t have both history has shown. Just to keep on wining, same with rain. Today it seems like the whole field needs to finish. If it rains and they go off, so be it. If only 6 finish so be it. I miss the times we had epic barcelona 1996 races. Today all drivers would be on their radio ”i’m scared to drive, where is the safety car no red flag even better’

12. Hamilfan (@hamilfan) said on 23rd March 2013, 3:03

“it is not a lot of fun and that is how it is.”

Well , he need not be worried at all considering red bull will create magic(some freak update) soon. It’s only a question of when . Till that arrives , he will have to be content with just 3rd place finishes . Well , that’s not so bad is it ? ..but maybe yes, its not fun , not till he wins all the time .

• John H (@john-h) said on 23rd March 2013, 7:48

He’s talking about how much fun it is to drive, not how successful he is at the moment. Tyres tyres tyres, unlike some people on here I would like to see drivers wringing out every last tenth of the car underneath them, not being advised by their engineers to drive to a certain lap time…in this case we may as well replace the drivers with robots. This isn’t like tyre conservation in past days where the driver could use his head, now all the emphasis is on the team ‘understanding’ the tyres and then the robot executing the simulated race plan.

We are human, and F1 should not just about ‘optimsing’data. I want cars on the limit pushing to the edge of the track. I want my F1 back!! End rant.

13. Ah this (f)ecking Red Bull Guys are doing whatever necessary to bring about a change in the Tyre Compounds.. The fact that there Superior Quali Pace is redundant is making them Mad..

14. “We have also seen differences in the way that individual teams use the compounds, with the hard compound lasting 15 laps for some teams and 21 laps or more for others,” said Hembery.

Tht is it Red Bull.. Oh Why Do I feel so happy when finally half the Field can do something better than a Adrian Newey Design??

15. Gerry said on 23rd March 2013, 4:06

Mark is right, it’s too much about tires, tyres, tyres, tyres, tyres!!! As soon as one starts to get into the groove in the race the dreaded tyre issue reares its ugly head! We want to watch good close racing, not a multitude of pits stops just to change tyres and ruin the complection of the race!!! I love F1 but this is rediculous!!