Vettel: “I hope we have enough tyres to survive”

F1 Fanatic round-up

Sebastian Vettel, Red Bull, Sepang, 2013In the round-up: Sebastian Vettel is worried about tyre wear ahead of the Malaysian Grand Prix.

Links

Your daily digest of F1 news, views, features and more.

Red Bulls angered by tyre wear in Sepang (Reuters)

Sebastian Vettel: “I hope we have enough tyres to survive the race and it is not a lot of fun and that is how it is.”

Hamilton: I never wanted a year out (The Telegraph)

Lewis Hamilton claimed on Friday that he had never intended to take a sabbatical from Formula One, despite Bernie Ecclestone?s assertion this week that Mercedes? ??60 million signing was prepared to leave the sport for a year rather than remain any longer at McLaren.”

Hamilton: Race pace is better (Sky)

“I wasn’t really able to exploit it over a single lap, but nonetheless I’m happy with where we’re standing. I think we’re stronger race-pace wise. If I’m honest when we did the long run it felt pretty strong and we went for quite a few laps.”

The Pursuits Interview: Luca di Montezemolo (FT)

“We are committed to drastically cutting fuel consumption and lowering emissions. But to us it was never something we made a lot of noise about. It is like washing your face, something you quietly get on and do every day.”

Button becomes a GPDA director (Autosport)

“Sebastian Vettel remains in his role as the other director alongside Button, while Pedro de la Rosa keeps the chairman’s seat despite swapping his HRT race drive for a Ferrari development role.”

Life with a limp (ESPN)

“Martin?s stock had been rising throughout that debut season in 1990. Split times during the fateful lap showed that, had he completed it, the Ulsterman would have qualified on the third row; his best grid position that year.”

Australia 2013 – race edit (F1)

Highlights from the last race.

Tweets

Comment of the day

Traverse on whether IndyCar star Will Power can finally claim the title this year after three near-misses:

If Will Power has the willpower to win, he will win. But if Will isn?t filled with the will to win, there will be no willpower to help Will Power win.
Traverse (@Hellotraverse)

From the forum

Happy birthday!

Happy birthday to Cacarella, James Newnham, TommyC and George!

On this day in F1

Kimi Raikkonen scored his first F1 victory in the Malaysian Grand Prix ten years ago today.

The podium was completed by Rubens Barrichello and Fernando Alonso.

Image ?? Red Bull/Getty

45 comments on Vettel: “I hope we have enough tyres to survive”

1. Lachie Martin said on 23rd March 2013, 4:52

Do we think the tyre degredation on the RB9 is something to do with the high amount of rake they run? I noticed the Ferrari is running more rake as well…cars driving around with the gearboxes sitting high….Kimi’s Lotus last week in Melbourne I noticed – due to the twilight – was ‘bottoming’ out regularly – with sparks…like the old days…it didn’t seem to be running any rake…..

The sparks was something I noticed – especially on Kimi’s car – I’m not sure on the affect on the tyres..but my logic says there could be something in it..

2. wigster (@wigster) said on 23rd March 2013, 5:51

I have no sympathy for Red Bull and their tyre wear issues. From the evidence so far this season it looks like some of the other teams have done a better job on managing tyre wear then them, Lotus and Force India in particular. I’m not sure they’d be complaining so publicly if they were the best front running team on the grid for tyre wear, rather than potentially one of the worst. Performance in F1 is limited by a large number of things, engine life and performance, gearbox life, aerodynamics, KERS, the bravery and skill of the driver. Most of them are things the teams themselves are unable to control and develop as much as they like and have to work with, tyres are just something else to add to the list.

3. F1Yankee (@f1yankee) said on 23rd March 2013, 6:40

i’m quite sure your team has been issued enough tires to last the race distance. whether or not you manage your allocation successfully is entirely up to you. amazingly, one might even find sport in that! shocking, i know.

i hope we don’t have a repeat of spa where red bull are crying about how unfair and dangerous the tires are, just for them to choose not to do anything about it. “i was so worried….” but not worried enough to eat the penalty and change tires.

4. Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 23rd March 2013, 6:41

Honestly, I think too much is being made of the tyres. The same thing happened last year, and everyone got on top of them beore long. Sure, they had to battle a little to understand them, but once they did, they were able to get the most out of them. And of all the criticisms of and complaints about the tyres last year, how many times did a driver run out of tyres over the course of a weekend? I can only think of one occasion – Jean-Eric Vergne in Monaco, who was forced onto the intermediates late in the race (and later admitted that they pushed too hard on the slicks because they were anticipating rain).

So in light of this, I tend to take any criticism of the tyres as “we’re not as fast as we want to be, but if the tyres didn’t have a learning curve, then we’d be a little faster”. Maybe the drivers should spend less time complaining to the media, and more time doing work on their tyres during free practice. I know which one is more likely to get them the results they want sooner …

• F1fanNL (@) said on 23rd March 2013, 8:07

@prisoner-monkeys

I agree, I have seen Vettel and Webber get out of their cars during practice on numerous occasions just to go and complain to the media. They just leave the engineers standing there with their ‘tools’ in their hands. Unbelievable.

I’d rather they be like Alonso, who hasn’t complained once all last year about any deficit to other teams.

5. MALLI (@mallikarjuna) said on 23rd March 2013, 7:19

cry baby

6. Traverse (@) said on 23rd March 2013, 8:06

My first COTD, thanks @keithcollantine :-)

These tissue paper tyres are awful. They only serve to hinder the fastest drivers on the grid by rewarding a cautionary approach, when what us fans actually want to see is a pedal-to-the-metal, all out naked, metsu hadouken race!

I also don’t understand why drivers have to use both compounds of tyre. Surely it would be beneficial to both the drivers and the sport as a whole, if the drivers had the freedom to choose whichever tyre compound best suits their driving style. This silly rule cost Sutil a bunch of points last weekend.