Hamilton says Rosberg should have been on podium

2013 Malaysian Grand Prix

Lewis Hamilton, Mercedes, Sepang, 2013Lewis Hamilton said he felt his team mate should have been on the podium instead of him after the Malaysian Grand Prix.

Hamilton finished third with Nico Rosberg close behind him. But Rosberg repeatedly lobbied his team to be allowed to pass Hamilton, who was backing off to save fuel.

Hamilton was quick to pay tribute to his team mate on the podium after the race: “If I’m honest I really feel like Nico should be standing here, generally he had better pace than me throughout the race. But he’s a great team mate and did a fantastic job today.”

“I can’t say it’s the best feeling being up here but racing is racing and I really just got to keep looking forward,” he added.

Rosberg said Hamiltons’ words were “nice to hear” and added he didn’t feel like the team owes him payback for his obedience:

“I understand I drive for Mercedes, for you guys at home who put your life into building this car over the winter and doing such a fantastic job. I’m pleased to be able to do such a great result for the team.

“But of course there’s a small side of me where I want to go flat out all the way to the end and we up on the podium myself. But the time will come for that.”

Team principal Ross Brawn repeatedly denied Rosberg’s requests during the race to be allowed to race Hamilton. He said the team were holding position after dropping back from leaders Red Bull:

“I think we obviously lost the race around the last pit stops,” said Brawn. “The prime tyre didn’t work so well for us in the third stint of dry tyres. Having lost it initially it was a question of bringing the cars back in the safest form.”

Brawn added they have cut it fine on fuel with both cars: “We were tight on fuel, the pace was a lot stronger in the race than we anticipated and we were tight on fuel and we needed to make sure we didn’t overdo it. Once the opportunity was gone there was nothing to be gained.”

He said Rosberg understood Hamilton would be expected to do the same under similar circumstances: “It works both ways, the drivers know that. We discuss these things before the race. Of course he’s very competitive and he’ll be a bit frustrated but it works both ways.”

2013 Malaysian Grand Prix

Browse all 2013 Malaysian Grand Prix articles

Image ?é?® Mercedes/Hoch Zwei

144 comments on Hamilton says Rosberg should have been on podium

1 2 3
  1. Magnificent Geoffrey (@magnificent-geoffrey) said on 24th March 2013, 11:16

Refreshing honesty and humility from Hamilton. Not the sort of thing you expect any driver to say and I respect him for that.

• Alex (@smallvizier) said on 24th March 2013, 11:21

I agree that this reflects really well on Hamilton. He knows exactly what happened and he’s speaking the truth.

I don’t think it looks so great for Brawn. During the race they told Nico that Hamilton “could go faster if he wanted” and that this was why Nico couldn’t overtake. In reality it appears that Hamilton had run out of fuel and would not have been able to resist an attack.

In contrast to Hamilton’s honesty, Brawn has basically lied to a team member in order to (understandably) gain more points for his #1 driver. Why not just tell him the truth? Nico showed today that he is a team player, the least his manager could do is trust him.

• Damien Blackman (@hyakuyagami) said on 24th March 2013, 11:31

To be perfectly honest, I think Nico will be told that just not over team radio for the world to hear

• Aced (@aced) said on 24th March 2013, 11:55

@smallvizier

I couldn’t agree more. I found it absolutely pathetic when he told Nico that Lewis could go a lot faster as obviously that wasn’t the case.

Also if a driver wants to save fuel, the best way to do it would be by slipstreaming behind their teammate or any other car for that matter. So I don’t buy the whole “fuel” drama. However low Lewis might’ve been on fuel that just wasn’t the case why Nico was told to hold position.

But it only makes sense they wanted Lewis in front in order to maximize his points if they really feel he has a better chance at the championship. Not that I agree with all that as I think everyone should have a fair shot but I guess it’s understandable why it happened.

However, I think Lewis made up for all of it with the way he handled it. Kudos to him because it’s refreshing to see such honesty in F1 for once. I wonder if Fernando would ever do such a thing. :)

That said, in that respect I would still give Mark the edge, though. It’s refreshing every time you hear him speak!

• Klaas (@klaas) said on 24th March 2013, 13:40

@aced I think it was Nico’s fault. If he felt that he was faster that Lewis why didn’t he just overtake him? He had 2 DRS zones to do it. Instead he asked Ross to move Ham out of the way. Of course Ross’ answer was negative. They were in for a bagful of points if they crashed he would have taken the blame for scre*ing both the points and Hamilton. I’m pretty sure that if Nico tried to do the job by himself Brawn wouldn’t have impeded him.

• Aced (@aced) said on 24th March 2013, 14:27

Actually, Nico wasn’t asking Ross to move Lewis completely out of the way. He was just asking for the green light to overtake him after being specifically instructed to hold position.
            And, yes, he may have failed to overtake him before that but it doesn’t change the fact that he could have just breezed past during the end stages but again was specifically told to hold position and so was Lewis.

• Eddie (@wackyracer) said on 24th March 2013, 12:01

In one part Rosberg passed Hamilton and Ham got the place back, maybe he wasnt lying

• electrolite (@electrolite) said on 24th March 2013, 12:26

I think Brawn would have got stick no matter what he did. Imagine if their new driver, Hamilton, ended up 4th instead of the podium that would validate his decision move to Mercedes in the public eye?

• Honesty and humility,yeah right.If he really felt that Rosberg should be on the podium he would let him pass easily.The truth of the matter is that Hamilton ran out of fuel and was defenseless,not sure if Hamilton would do the same,actually i’m quite sure Hamilton would blast him easily.And if Rosberg was a true winner like he’s not,he wold have past him just like that,like true champions do,ignoring team orders.The fact that he’s so obedient means that he doesn’t believe in him self enough,and fears his team.Not the marking of a true winner.Lost a lot of respect for Rosberg today,true champions shot first and ask questions later.

• John H (@john-h) said on 24th March 2013, 13:18

If Hamilton would have let him passed in such circumstances, then how does that make Brawn look, not least the team? 2 races in, Hamilton definitely did the right things here in the situation he was in.

Hamilton did right, Brawn didn’t, and that’s who Nico should be annoyed with.

• @john-h How many points does one get for being annoyed?And it’s not just points,you dont get respect,you command it,you stamp your authority.Just like in Australia Alonso doesn’t wait for the team to call him in the pits,he simply comes in and tells what tyres he want,and get’s on with it.You get to be a leader by leading,not by being led.Rosberg is setting himself up for a number two driver status,and by the look of things,that’s what he really is.

• Aced (@aced) said on 24th March 2013, 14:23

Coming in for a pitstop and making the whole team, especially your boss, look like idiotic fools by disobeying a direct order in front of everyone are two very, very different things. Besides, I don’t think Hamilton enjoys the same level of comfort that Alonso does in the Ferrari, yet.

• sonia luff (@sonia54) said on 24th March 2013, 14:59

I’m with you on this. PR garbage from Ham,if he felt that Nico deserved to be on the podium he should have told the team to let Nico past. He’s as bad as Vettel and Alonso. In fact working with Brawn he could become tarnished like Schuey

• AlexFerrari said on 24th March 2013, 21:15

Big Schumi fan here, but Hamilton did exactly the same as he did in Austria 2002: “Barrichello deserved to win…”. Right.

• JCost (@jcost) said on 24th March 2013, 16:58

But expressing that before the world standing there was very nice. I still think the best way to do it was let him.

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 24th March 2013, 13:15

Defenitely shows that both Hamilton and Rosberg are better at handling the inner team cohesion than Vettel showed. I guess it might be because these guys do know eachother well and have huge respect for eachother.

At Red Bull, its only natural that Webber feels he will not get much support from the team, the memories of several incidents mostly from 2010, but some from a later date, are too deeply cut in to forget about them.

But now back to Mercedes, its nice to see how close it is between these guys and I hope we see a tense fight between them. So far Hamilton is on top.
      On a different not, didn’t they underfuel Rosberg as well a couple of times in the last 2 years, I remember him falling down from the lead, or a podium, because of not being able to fight back for having to save fuel. Seems its something they keep doing all too often.

• There are some true things which are not mentioned in all these discussions. Rosberg tried at least during the race two times to pass Hamilton and he failed. If he could pass Hamilton why did he ask the team to let him pass Hamilton?
      Till Brawn said negative, I thing, everything was so far fine because if a driver can pass his team mate, he doesn’t need to ask the permission to pass his team mate and he should do it because we are in sport and the best must win even though it is not always the case in reality.
      What I don’t agree with, are the explanations of Ross Brawn which came later when he was asking rosberg to keep his position. By doing that he took position for a driver and that it is something I disapprove in the redbull, lotus and ferrari teams.
      I great therefore the words of hamilton and rosberg for each other. I appreciate their mutual respect which should be a lesson for Vettel and Webber and the other teams.

2. Honest, humble, and sportsmanlike. Good on him. It’s disappointing that they didn’t race properly but that’s a good attitude to take.

3. 5150 (@) said on 24th March 2013, 11:21

He should have let him past on his own. Simple as that. Normally don’t have a problem with team orders but I don’t see the need for this as early as second GP.
    Ross Brawn is a piece of ****! He just made Barichello out of Rosberg!
    Sad.
    Cudos to Red Bull drivers for exciting and clean fight.

4. Was he also specifically instructed to stay ahead of Rosberg? If not, why not let him pass in some clear and obvious way, instead of paying him tribute on the podium?

I would soooo love to pay a gushing tribute to whomever, as long as I get to occupy the place he deserves.

• electrolite (@electrolite) said on 24th March 2013, 12:26

I think Hamilton did the right thing by just racing at the pace he would. I would respect him less if he simply moved over…

• John H (@john-h) said on 24th March 2013, 13:21

He would have made Brawn look ridiculous had he done that even if he wanted to. Not the thing to do in your 2nd race for a new team.

• Colossal Squid (@colossal-squid) said on 24th March 2013, 14:06

Yeah that’s my feeling. Many are saying that Hamilton is being a good sportsman, but like Vettel’s apology it’s just lip service. If Hamilton felt so bad for holding Rosberg up he would have pulled over for him with no risk to the team’s result.

The correlation to this is that Nico could have done what Vettel did and taken the position he felt he deserved. Overall, team orders like this so early in the season are not appreciated and I say this as a Ferrari fan! At least they don’t force Massa out of position until Alonso is clearly ahead of Massa in the championship.

5. Joshua Mesh (@joshua-mesh) said on 24th March 2013, 11:22

Actions speak stronger than words. Lewis should have moved over for him.

• Traverse (@) said on 24th March 2013, 11:25

A true champion never moves over for anyone. Hamilton owes Rosberg nothing.

• Joshua Mesh (@joshua-mesh) said on 24th March 2013, 11:27

Then he should have said what he said. Its like saying one thing but doing the other. Completely fake and purely done for PR.

• Joshua Mesh (@joshua-mesh) said on 24th March 2013, 11:27

should’nt*

• 5150 (@) said on 24th March 2013, 11:33

+1 Joshua.
            @Traverse
            Hamilton is not a true champion. Not in his word nor his actions.
            Says one thing, doeas the other. Championlike? NOT

• Traverse (@) said on 24th March 2013, 11:39

@5150
            Ham definitely behaves like a true champion. A true champion takes responsibility for his own destiny and grabs opportunities by the scruff of the neck. Rosberg on the other hand complains to Brawn like a little girl (I guess that’s why they call him britney).

• Raul (@sennahakkham) said on 24th March 2013, 11:39

As a father i sometimes have to punish my kids, i dont like but it needs to be done. Does that make me fake.

The only thing Ham did wrong was to utter those words att all. He owes Rosberg nothing. This racing for all its worth.

As they say dont blame the player blame the game.

• Traverse (@) said on 24th March 2013, 11:34

@joshua-mesh
          Ham didn’t say ‘I should’ve let him pass’. He said “If I’m honest I really feel like Nico should be standing here”. The onus was on Rosberg to take the initiative and overtake Ham, not for Ham to let him pass.

• David BR2 said on 24th March 2013, 11:51

Really difficult to see Hamilton can be faulted here, though some people try.

• John H (@john-h) said on 24th March 2013, 13:23

The onus was on Brawn just to let Rosberg go past while Ham was coasting. They both obeyed team orders, but it was those that were wrong, not the actions of the drivers.

• OOliver said on 24th March 2013, 11:36

Hamilton has moved over in the past while at Mclaren, so it isn’t a big deal to him.
        What matters is when a team tries to just deceit to achieve that, in this case the team was straight forward about what they wanted to achieve.

• Alex (@smallvizier) said on 24th March 2013, 11:27

1. Most people believe that Hamilton is a better bet than Rosberg for the WDC. Therefore it makes sense (taking the long view) to have Hamilton finish first.

2. Hamilton was ahead because he performed better in qualifying. He is very good at this and he did better than Rosberg. Therefore he earned his position.

3. We’re praising Rosberg for doing what the team wanted. Let’s face it, if Hamilton had moved over then the team would have been furious.

I agree that Rosberg was faster and I would have loved to see him get his podium. On balance, had they been allowed to race, I am sure that would have happened. But Hamilton would have been crazy to move over and I believe he made the right decision.

• 5150 (@) said on 24th March 2013, 11:37

I am sure if the situation was reversed you would claim that team should have instructed Rosberg to move over.
        Hamilton should prove that. Believin g is nothing. So far thre’s nothing in between them for me.
        You don’t think Massa is better than Alonso because of qualis or do you?

• Alex (@smallvizier) said on 24th March 2013, 12:03

@5150, you’ve missed the point. I’m not talking about what the team’s decision should have been.

I’m saying, given that Hamilton was in front and the team wanted him to stay in front, he would have been crazy to move over.

If Massa had been in front of Alonso and Ferrari had told them to hold position, then I’d have expected Massa to hold position. Similarly if Rosberg was in front of Hamilton and the team told him to hold position, I’d expect him to hold position.

It’s nothing to do with who’s “better.” You respect your team manager’s instructions, instead of taking matters into your own hands.

• John H (@john-h) said on 24th March 2013, 13:26

You’re not paying attention. The team did the wrong thing, not Hamilton. Had Hamilton moved over it would have been ridiculous. Come on, people need to use their heads here.

• Raul (@sennahakkham) said on 24th March 2013, 11:31

I dont agree with your opinion. Hamilton is a a racer at heart. Meaning if you want something take your shot. Gifting your teammate a place is not racing.

• Ryne (@ryne) said on 24th March 2013, 11:36

Hamilton honestly cannot do anything right for some people. It’s a shame.

6. Traverse (@) said on 24th March 2013, 11:23

If Rosberg wanted to be on the podium, he should’ve grown some balls (like Vettel) and overtaken Ham. Much like Massa and Webber, Rosberg has solidified his position as a No.2 driver.

• Chris (@f1-98) said on 24th March 2013, 11:30

In formula 1 the team is bigger than the driver even if your 3 time undeseving champion Vettel

• FLIG (@flig) said on 24th March 2013, 11:31

+1, and he probably lost the few fans that thought he might one day become WDC.

• RedRacing0 said on 24th March 2013, 13:38

I don’t think Rosberg has the capacity as Hamilton, his first season in Mercedes and he already matched Rosberg. Give him till mid season and we will see better of their rivalry.

• Aced (@aced) said on 24th March 2013, 14:42

I don’t understand where all the hate and rudeness that you’ve shown in the last few comments is coming from but I don’t think what you’re saying is right.

Both Lewis and Nico are professional and experienced enough to know that when Ross Brawn, the team principal and not just their engineers, issues a direct order you are going to obey that order no matter what it is. It has absolutely nothing to do with one of them being a true champion and the other a little girl like you mentioned above.

Oh, and by the way, you should also consider the fact that Lewis may have been also instructed to hold position and not make way. Usually in these sort of situations both drivers are given instructions regarding what they’re going to do.

• Traverse (@) said on 24th March 2013, 14:58

If that’s the case, and Britney Nico is a professional, why did he dispute Brawn’s decision for so long?

• Aced (@aced) said on 24th March 2013, 16:05

@hellotraverse

Now you’re just nitpicking on purpose but I’m going to give you an answer either way.

First of all, it is just not as simple as you’re making it out to be. Second, there’s nothing that suggests that he was being unprofessional by disputing the decision. If you take into account the circumstances in which the call was made it’s very hard to argue that it wasn’t unfair on him so I think that gives him every right to.

For a racing driver it’s hard enough to accept such an order even if they’re out of the competition let alone in such early stages of the season. And that probably contributed even more to his frustration let alone the fact that he may have even felt somewhat betrayed by the team that he’s been with for so many years now. If you take into account all the factors which contributed to his protests, I’d say he remained pretty damn professional about it and in the end made the right decision.

7. Dimitris 1395 (@dimitris-1395) said on 24th March 2013, 11:24

Would I be too bad to say that if he feels so, he should have let him pass by himself?
    Anyway, I’d give him credit for saying that…

8. WillP said on 24th March 2013, 11:24

Good to hear from both drivers. Would have been nice to see Hamilton let Rosberg through if he felt so strongly about it though. Hopefully everyone will learn, Rosberg will get his payback and all will be well again :-)

9. ScuderiaVincero (@scuderiavincero) said on 24th March 2013, 11:26

That is properly mature Lewis. Really good of him. :)

10. Nick.UK (@) said on 24th March 2013, 11:26

The Red Bull and Mercedes situation has been one of the most stark examples of two sides of the same coin.

Mercedes could have let Nico pass safely without direct consequence to the team itself, and it was a shame to see him flounder behind Lewis for 10 laps. But it also showed how a team is able to control it’s drivers and make genuinely sound decisions. It was after all, very important to bring those cars home safely. Frankly they were very lucky there was nobody close behind them to steal the positions!

As for Red Bull, I already stated my disgust for Vettel for displaying his arrogance and clear feeling of self importance in another thread, but I’ll add here what the other side of the coin is. That was some incredible racing between them. If that had been Lewis on Vettel or Kimi on Alonso or any combination of any drivers fighting for the lead we would be singing songs of praise about how great the last stint of the race was. It was the situation that lead to it that has clearly over shadowed the brilliant display of racing skill we say earlier this morning.

At the end of today the race was both excellent and aweful. It just depends on what a great victory is to you personally. As a Webber fan, I was obviously seething with anger and to a degree, still am…

• nidzovski (@nidzovski) said on 24th March 2013, 11:41

+1. I also think that there is no need of two drivers in one team! They are all top drivers eager to win races and WDC. I wish that they are 20 indepedent teams/drivers racing each other!

• Jonny C (@loomx92) said on 24th March 2013, 13:36

I agree, it was a pretty sweet bit of racing (although whilst watching I was just thinking, my god they’re gonna crash). My problem is that they were told to hold station which at that point in the race was fair in my eyes, leading 1-2, the Mercs falling back, no need to risk the 43 points for the team.

As it stands after the race, okay Vettel was quicker overall, but had they done a repeat of Istanbul 2010 (which there were some pretty close moments) and they end up losing the constructors championship by about 40 points from a double DNF in a 1-2 position, man I wouldn’t wanna be Vettel when he Should have just stayed behind.

Even in the drivers championship, Mark truth be told won’t be up there by the end of the season most prob, Alonso was out, Kimi down in 7th, and Lewis in 3rd (but most prob Merc’ll fade away as the year continues). What was the point in risking a fair chunk of points?

Anyways might’ve rambled on a bit much. Don’t get me wrong, it was more exciting than watching Nico follow Lewis for however many laps, and I’m all for team mates going all hell for leather at each other. There’s just a time and a place, the last stint in a 1-2 with the team telling you both to cool it and coast to the flag… that’s not the time or place.

11. Chris (@f1-98) said on 24th March 2013, 11:28

I’m not a hamilton fan but from what I saw on that podium today from Hamilton made me gained some respect from him if I were Rosberg I would have thanked him for having the courage to admit he wasn’t faster than Nico and for feeling that Nico should have been on the podium.

As for Webber and Vettel it is going to be an intersting next couple of weeks.

12. Red Andy (@red-andy) said on 24th March 2013, 11:29

Ross clearly has authority within Mercedes and managed his drivers well today. That might focus a few minds as they consider their increasingly top-heavy management structure.

The mutual respect and friendship between Hamilton and Rosberg showed clearly today. They both know that if the positions were reversed, the team would act in the same way. That’s also true of Ferrari and McLaren, but not of Red Bull, which is why we have lots of friction in the latter team today and not with Merc.

• Alex (@smallvizier) said on 24th March 2013, 11:33

@red-andy, I disagree on two counts.

Mercedes – I believe they acted today to maximise Hamilton’s points as #1 driver. On this basis if the positions had been reversed, they would have let Hamilton race, knowing he had more fuel and would eventually overtake.

Red Bull – they do treat their drivers the same. At Silverstone in 2011, Vettel was ahead and they ordered Webber to back off. Today, Webber was ahead and they ordered Vettel to back off. The problem is that both times, the drivers ignored Horner. This is certainly a sign of a team with problems! But they do treat their drivers equally.

• Chris (@f1-98) said on 24th March 2013, 11:37

I for one don’t believe that Lewis is the favorite as if in another race Hamilton is in the same position as rosberg is today I think Ross Brawn would have made the same call.

• David BR2 said on 24th March 2013, 12:27

Agree entirely but the story that Hamilton is favoured was already there, pre-packed, ready to be applied at the slightest hint.

Personally I’d have preferred to see Rosberg continue to try passing, Hamilton may well have relented eventually too, I think, but I can understand (a) Mercedes not wanting to tell either driver to give way except when the faster driver behind has a chance of beating other drivers in front (which is basically the same as McLaren) and (b) not wanting to risk a 3-4 finish, which for them is a real morale boost and probably better for both drivers over the course of the season, irrespective of the order they finished today.

• Red Andy (@red-andy) said on 24th March 2013, 13:07

On Mercedes, it would be pretty silly of the team to be favouring one of their drivers so early in the season, particularly when on dry weather pace in practice and qualifying, Rosberg largely had the measure of Hamilton this weekend.

On Red Bull, it’s more about perception than reality. If Webber perceives he is being treated unfairly at the team, that will have a huge impact. The key thing on that score will be how Red Bull respond, away from the limelight and the cameras, to Vettel disobeying team orders. If he is “protected” as Mark predicted, that will not bode well for team harmony.

• Maksutov (@maksutov) said on 24th March 2013, 14:42

what a load of BS, you can’t possibly know that.

13. nidzovski (@nidzovski) said on 24th March 2013, 11:31

As Lewis was bullied as a young boy it is normal that he doesn’t like unhonesty. It was the reason why he left McLaren. Anyway I think that this was Brawn minimizing the damage. Maybe RBR should’ve did the same.

14. OOliver said on 24th March 2013, 11:34

Rosberg on several occasions did get ahead earlier with Hamilton getting the position back almost immediately. This was costing them time and tyre life. I guess the team already made the decision that whoever was ahead after the final pit stop will hold that position. And in fairness to both drivers, Hamilton neither tried to block nor Rosberg made any serious attempt to pass.
    I think there will be no ego problems at Mercedes, you won’t hear the team boss excessively praising one driver over the other, but will just acknowledge both drivers contribution to moving the team forward.
    China may well be the race Rosberg will be the driver ahead after the last set of pit stops.

15. FLIG (@flig) said on 24th March 2013, 11:37

While I understand this is the best for the teams, and what Vettel did is ‘wrong’ from the team’s perspective, it makes me wonder if I really want to watch F1 anymore. Too early in the season to be worried about ‘bringing the cars home’.

• OOliver said on 24th March 2013, 11:42

For Mercedes it is a home race and a strong finish was going to be good for the sponsors. As for RBR, it has always been a controlled mad house there.

• Chris (@f1-98) said on 24th March 2013, 11:44

Team orders are part of the sport and always will be but for me it doesn’t take anything away from me in terms of excitment in Formula 1. What if for example would you like to watch this race with no overtaking or no excitment just watching cars go round? I watch it for on track battles swaping postions lap after lap wheel to wheel racing because I find it entertaning, sure team orders are a flaw but its just a tiny one.

• nidzovski (@nidzovski) said on 24th March 2013, 11:46

Similar to Schumacher era, but in this case there are 4-5 teams with a chance to win the title in contrast to Michael’s time.

• Raul (@sennahakkham) said on 24th March 2013, 11:46

The main problem is tyres going of and no refueling. When the field is tight the teams nurse the cars alot making it more vital to obey orders. Ferrari is always Ferrari but the rules do enforce this kind of behavior because its beneficial for the teams.

• David BR2 said on 24th March 2013, 12:34

Except that Mercedes guessed the fuel consumption wrongly and told their drivers to chase the Red Bulls in the second stint, which led to Hamilton (and maybe Rosberg too) having to conserve fuel. Hamilton did his part and jumped ahead of Vettel, but perhaps paid a higher cost than Rosberg for implementing the team’s strategy at that stage, and perhaps Mercedes thought it would be unfair to then penalize him further for their earlier plan.

If you don’t like team orders (and I don’t much either) then less dependency on tire (and fuel) maintenance is probably the way to go. Otherwise the drivers are stuck having to listen and follow the team’s advice much more than they probably want.

1 2 3