Rate the race: 2013 Malaysian Grand Prix

Debates and Polls

Start, Sepang, 2013What did you think of the today’s race? Share your verdict on the Malaysian Grand Prix.

Rate the race out of ten and leave a comment below:

Rate the 2013 Malaysian Grand Prix out of ten

• 1 (5%)
  • 2 (2%)
  • 3 (3%)
  • 4 (4%)
  • 5 (8%)
  • 6 (11%)
  • 7 (18%)
  • 8 (25%)
  • 9 (16%)
  • 10 (8%)

Total Voters: 956

Loading ... Loading ...

1 = ‘Terrible’, 10 = ‘Perfect’

See the results for past seasons here:

2013 Malaysian Grand Prix

Browse all 2013 Malaysian Grand Prix articles

Image ?é?® Pirelli/LAT

388 comments on Rate the race: 2013 Malaysian Grand Prix

1. Cyclops_PL (@cyclops_pl) said on 24th March 2013, 10:07

Seriously I can’t remember a race when the WHOLE podium was decided by team orders, so early in to the season.

Anyone who thinks Vettel won over Webber fair and square – just watch Webber lap times. One does not get 1 second slower all of a sudden without any technical problems. Also Vettel’s brilliant radio message does not leave ANY doubts.

• @cyclops_pl – I’m inclined to entirely disagree here: were you a supporter of Rosberg being reigned in behind a slower driver, as would’ve happened to Vettel had he not taken matters into his own hands? I like seeing the faster driver being allowed to race for victory, so provided their wasn’t a huge risk of both cars being eliminated I would support any trailing driver from the same team taking a punt at stealing the position.

• Cyclops_PL (@cyclops_pl) said on 24th March 2013, 11:06

@vettel1

If there really was an order to maintain status quo, then both drivers would have their engines reved-down. When you turning down the engine of the leader and not the other driver chasing him, you are not protecting the leader but placing him as a sitting duck. And this is exactly what Vettel has publicly demanded via radio. Also Mark wasn’t allowed to take his lead back, his engined was not reved-up again. Fair fight indeed.

• Damien Blackman (@hyakuyagami) said on 24th March 2013, 12:07

Did you see Vettel’s first attempt to pass? He nearly gave Mercedes a 1, 2 finish. That’s why Horner told him he was being silly.

• Arrrang (@arrrang) said on 24th March 2013, 12:41

@vettel1 For me few things make sense:
        1. Team orders? eventually- yes
        2. Team tactics/strategy? yes.
        3. Team orders at this early stage os the season? no!
        So it’s a double no from me. Not for Mercedes and RBR but for Mercedes and Vettel! Brawn made Merc look silly and Vettel made RBR look the same…

• @arrrang – I disagree because I admire racing drivers being racing drivers, but respect your sentiment.

• Arrrang (@arrrang) said on 24th March 2013, 13:12

@vettel1 – you know I would love to see two drivers (even from the same team) race their wheels of for the whole season fighting for every inch of the track. No compromise. It’s a dream come true scenario. But saying that you admire racing drivers being racing drivers sounds (with all due respect) plain naive. It’s 2013, it’s how F1 has been like for the last X(30?) years, it’s loads of corporate money etc. Drivers represent the interest of their employers team wheter we like it or not. I got used to it but still don’t like it. I got used that the teams are guilty and I can criticise them for it. I’m not used to see an F1 driver pretending that this sport is all about speed only to explain his actions.. Team orders are against the sports spirit? sure. But what makes drivers against their teams better?

• @arrrang why shouldn’t we admire drivers being proper racers though? The good ‘ol days had its plus points, and if we can relive them it’s for the better as far as I’m concerned!

This article pretty much mirrors my opinion, so reading it will probably do my opinion justice more than I could!

• Arrrang (@arrrang) said on 24th March 2013, 18:48

@vettel1 I agree with the principle of having proper racing drivers. But as far as my sight reaches I don’t see even one of those on the current grid. With all my symphaty to Alonso, Hamilton and respect for Vettel- they are not that kind. They are very fast, talented but suported by their teams, sponsor – crybabies. All of them capable of acting like a true racer- when they have good cards in hand but will hope for the team to help them when they can’t achieve their goals on their own… We have heard all of them claiming how much faster they were comparing to thei teammates in the past… For me calling Vettel a true racer (only because he was “not aware” or made a egoistic action) would be hypocrisy. Today I gained lots of respect for Rosberg for not braking team orders (wich he could done with ease) and Hamilton for saying loud that he believes that Nico deserved this podium. Brawn and Mercedes lost in my eyes. As for Vettel he just gave me another reason not to support him in the future..

2. 7. The whole race was quite entertaining to watch up to lap 40-something, to be fair. As for the end, it was good fun watching Massa put in some sneaky overtakes and go from behind Perez to in front of Grosjean in 6 or so laps.

Otherwise, the race in which all of the three best drivers of the world were put to shame either by their team mates, teams, stupid behaviour or stupid mistakes, topped by the grimmest podium I’ve seen in a long while.

3. vishy (@vishy) said on 24th March 2013, 10:09

Mercedes got it so wrong, if only they had pitted Rosberg first they might have had a chance at winning.

Heart goes out to Mark. If they had pitted Mark first in the final stint, he would have been way ahead. He was already leading by about 3 seconds from the PEDELAR before the stop.

Really starting to hate the finger boy.

4. sumedh said on 24th March 2013, 10:13

Great racing between Vettel and Webber, and that too when team orders were against Vettel.

That should shut up some of his haters.

5. Rigi (@rigi) said on 24th March 2013, 10:14

this race was a farce!

the bit of respect i had for vattel / red bull is now gone, i feel sorry for mark webber, for being stuck in a team which will always favour their number 1 driver.
    mercedes also made me dislike them, at least we now know who their number one driver is, and again i feel sorry for rosberg.

i give the race 5/10, i never think highly of races that vettel wins

• Guilherme (@guilherme) said on 24th March 2013, 10:27

@rigi Would you rather have seen Vettel stuck behind Webber for 12 laps, with clearly the better pace (newer, softer tyres), just like we had to see with Hamilton and Rosberg?

When Webber ignores team orders, he’s a racer. When Vettel ignores team orders, people crucify him. Go figure.

• Rigi (@rigi) said on 24th March 2013, 10:34

@guilherme webber does not ignore team orders, that’s the problem… he explained on the podium, he was told the race was over and vettel wouldn’t go for an overtake.

• vishy (@vishy) said on 24th March 2013, 10:40

What gives you the impression Vettel was faster, and it was not managing to the end?

I think it is great that Red Bull cars raced each other but if Webber had pitted first he would have been ahead by about 4 secs at least . Also did it occur to you that Webber went on hards because he was given the information there would be no more racing after the final stop?

Vettel is arrogant and disrespectful on global television. His comments “he is slow get him out of my way” clearly tells us what the attitude is within the team.

• Guilherme (@guilherme) said on 24th March 2013, 10:55

@vishy They were running similar races. If Vettel turned his engine up, why didn’t Webber do the same and fight back? The team can’t control the engine by telemetry for, I don’t know, almost a decade now?

I’ll wait for Keith’s pit stop strategies article to comment on Webber tyre choice, but remeber, Vettel had an extra set of tyres.

Yeah, just like a certain Alonso saying “this is ridiculous” and the team duly proceeding to move Massa out of the way. I didn’t like Vettel’s radio either, that’s not the values I look up to in my favourite driver, but the team didn’t do anything to screw Webber.

6. Daniel Fidelis (@d-f1delis) said on 24th March 2013, 10:14

Rosberg passed Hamilton on the first DRS zone… If he were able to hold Lewis on the second one, I don’t think Ross would ask him to give the position back (it’s kind his fault too, he had his chance). But team orders in the start of the season always sucks…
    Vettel was the highlight of the race. In the early part of the race he said Red Bull that Webber was slow ( probably asking for a team providence). But in the end he ignored everything and rushed and passed Mark.
    Acted like a 2013 World Champion !

7. paulz said on 24th March 2013, 10:15

Brawn and Newey strain msg to the drivers, “We need to talk”. Thats ugly. Apart from internal affairs, im applause for Hulk’s speed and fighting spirit which really make himself a true challenger for next few races.

8. I don’t have a problem with Vettel racing as long as Webber is aware of that, and then they can fight to the finish. If Webber’s been told to turn his engine down then he’s obviously assuming Seb will do the same, and he then had hand tied behind his back in terms of the battle to begin with. It clearly caught him off guard.

9. zhaviator (@zhaviator) said on 24th March 2013, 10:15

in the only lap that Fer managed he counter-passed Mark with a broken front wing…i think that says it all…
    -Avanti Fer-

10. OEL F1 (@oel-f1) said on 24th March 2013, 10:16

Gave it 1 thanks to Vettel

11. 10. Very exciting race, there will be a lot of talk, but from a spectator I enjoyed it. I’m quite surprised by the community. I mean, Red Bull is right to be upset, but us? We saw great racing, we saw a driver wanting to win without caring about team orders.

Everyone would have loved Massa to defend from Alonso in Hockenheim 2010, Webber to overtake Vettel in Silverstone 2011. As a spectator I like when a driver wants to win no matter what.

On the other hand, I’m sorry for Rosberg. He deserved a podium and he couldn’t properly fight for it.

12. Marucat (@marucat) said on 24th March 2013, 10:18

I’m so tired of this, we can’t even call this racing anymore! It’s the second race of the season and already teams are deciding before the race which driver is allowed to be ahead! Yes there may be situations when team orders make sense, but to use them like this ruins it for everyone, including the drivers involved. Hamilton didn’t seem happy about a 3rd place his teammate deserved! What on earth did Mercedes gain from using team orders here? Were those few extra points for Hamilton really worth it? It sure didn’t look like he thought so! They wouldn’t have lost any points as a team by allowing Rosberg to race, who knows they may even have gained some if he managed to catch Webber. It’s unfortunate that Hamilton was low on fuel but that’s racing. If teams start ordering fixing positions for every little thing like that we may as well decide the outcome of the race before it even starts.

13. ramy (@ramysennaf1) said on 24th March 2013, 10:21

to DIZZY A, i will scream for luck and car when i see that it’s the fact,i will keep saying the same, and facts are what u see in the race results, i wish the contrary, i do, but looks like another redbull season.

• David-A (@david-a) said on 24th March 2013, 10:32

@ramysennaf1 It might or might not be a “Red Bull season”. 2 races into the year, and Red Bull have won one of them, having lacked race pace compared to Ferrari and Lotus as recently as last week.

And what makes Vettel’s success down to “luck” more than any other driver? Taking pole positions? Winning races? Being better than your teammate most of the time?

14. Guilherme (@guilherme) said on 24th March 2013, 10:21

In Silverstone 2011 everyone was fuming at Red Bull because they told their drivers to hold station for second and third at the end of the race – Webber ignored the order, and people praised him for his real racer spirit. Now they again issued team orders to hold station for the lead of the race, with many laps of racing still left – Vettel ignored, and now people are bashing Vettel. I am sorry, but I just can’t wrap my head around this double standard.

Watching Rosberg holding back behind Hamilton was already uncomfortable enough to watch. Watching the Red Bulls do the same for 12 laps would be farcical.

• hey (@hey) said on 24th March 2013, 10:25

In Silverstone they could have raced each other and finished claiming the same positions for the team anyway; in Malaysia they could have raced, knacked the tyres up and finished behind the Mercedes. That’s the difference.

• Guilherme (@guilherme) said on 24th March 2013, 10:30

That would be a problem for Red Bull, to be sure, but I don’t see why the comunity here would be upset about it (actually I’m pretty sure most would be happy). Furthermore, they could also have crashed into each other in Silverstone.

• hey (@hey) said on 24th March 2013, 10:50

Yeah, but I guess it’s all about where the crossover is between the team’s priority and the drivers’, and how far one wants to take good-honest racing before pragmatism is allowed to take over. For example I think the team should have allowed the good-honest driving in Silverstone, but pulled rank (team over drivers) in Malaysia. I can see why people might have different valid opinions on that. I guess it’s all about what we see as “good reasons”. I know where I see the clear differences but I guess I’ll leave it alone anyway. It’s a Sunday morning for goodness sake, I have DIY to do! lol

• Speeding Helmet said on 24th March 2013, 10:36

Indeed! Totally different scenario. It makes a mockery of any car set-up instruction given by the team in the future because of the doubt about whether it might be a veiled team order or not.

• M Dickens (@sgt-pepper) said on 24th March 2013, 10:33

(@guilherme) Because Mark is;
      a) Far more likeable and honest.
      b) Not coming from an inherently screwed over position within the team, he’s the underdog etc.

• PhilEReid (@philereid) said on 24th March 2013, 10:34

Difference being that Webber showed he could have passed, but he did not because he knew there was no point in doing it. He followed the orders.

15. hey (@hey) said on 24th March 2013, 10:22

Was a 7/10, but the “talking points” at the end made it a 9/10. I’m not really bothered by what happened in the grand scheme. I think Rosberg’s position is made less sour because no-one’s pretending that it shouldn’t have been Rosberg on the podium, and Seb’s just straight up confirmed himself as untrustworthy which makes things easier. It’s all very well saying “it’s racing” but the team agreed not to fight in order to save the tyres so that both cars would be ahead of the Mercs, and Seb middle-fingered his team and his team-mate and stole the race. It’s basic social rules; now I’ll like Seb to fail like I would for any common liar/thief.

PS The difference between the situations is that Hamilton was always going to have to save fuel and be slower than Rosberg regardless, whereas Mark could easily have fought too but knackered both red bull’s tyres.

And Seb’s just apologised! Bit too late mate. lol

• Agree entirely.

The other difference is that Hamilton is quite prepared to pay back his teammate in a similar situation. I can’t quite see the two Red Bull drivers looking at it so amicably –

“He is a great team-mate,” added Hamilton. “I will speak to the team, or apologise. I said to him he did a fantastic job.

“Nico deserved to be where I am. With the position in the championship the team thought it was logical to stay in position, but Nico drove a smarter and more controlled race than me today.

“Would I let him past in the future? I probably would.”