Rate the race: 2013 Malaysian Grand Prix

Debates and Polls

Start, Sepang, 2013What did you think of the today’s race? Share your verdict on the Malaysian Grand Prix.

Rate the race out of ten and leave a comment below:

Rate the 2013 Malaysian Grand Prix out of ten

• 1 (5%)
  • 2 (2%)
  • 3 (3%)
  • 4 (4%)
  • 5 (8%)
  • 6 (11%)
  • 7 (18%)
  • 8 (25%)
  • 9 (16%)
  • 10 (8%)

Total Voters: 956

Loading ... Loading ...

1 = ‘Terrible’, 10 = ‘Perfect’

See the results for past seasons here:

2013 Malaysian Grand Prix

Browse all 2013 Malaysian Grand Prix articles

Image ?é?® Pirelli/LAT

388 comments on Rate the race: 2013 Malaysian Grand Prix

1 3 4 5 6 7 9
  1. Bobby Balboa (@bobby-balboa) said on 24th March 2013, 10:22

7/10 politics aside it was an eventful race. Webber had very right to be ****** as he was so much quicker in the final stint & pulling away before he was given the order to slow down & cruise to the finish only for Vettel to play the spoiled child. Should have been Webber, Vettel, Rosberg.

Fuel & tire saving is a joke. I like the difference in tires giving many strategies a possibility but they should have enough sets to get through the race

2. I have to say the fall out in the last 15 laps has rather left a bitter taste in my mouth. Webber on the podium looked like he’d love nothing more than to go into a dark room with Vettel and give him a right hook or two. There is no doubt that the racing between Vettel and Webber was absolutely sensational stuff, but it feels as though Mark was not fully prepared for that to happen until Vettel was right up his gearbox. I feel that was underhand from Vettel, if they’re going to race they should do it with both guys having full knowledge. And there was the stuff at Mercedes which was just ridiculuous, Rosberg should have been allowed to pass Hamilton. 6 out of 10. A shame really when the race probably merited an 8 on racing action.

• David-A (@david-a) said on 24th March 2013, 10:35

@debaser01 – The problem is, Webber has demonstrated he has no issues being “underhand” either, with regards to ignoring team orders.

• I presume you mean Silverstone 2011? Underhand is referring to the fact that Webber was under the impression BOTH cars would be managing the car and the situation to the end. Given Red Bull were clearly worried about making it to the end of the race with the tyres I cannot agree with Vettel ignoring the team order from Horner. Silverstone 2011 Webber might have ignored the order but Vettel would have been aware of that and kept his guard up; they both drove hard and fair and neither car was in danger of not finishing the race due to car/tyre issues that time. Vettel caught Webber off guard and that is the part that upset me and I think Webber as well. Webber loves to race hard, and if both of them had gone to the end with Vettel coming out on top then I am certain he would not have had a problem with that. He would have been disappointed sure but Mark Webber is the first to admit the better man won.

• Mike Dee (@mike-dee) said on 24th March 2013, 11:55

I disagree. Maybe WEB was caught off guard when he came out of the pits but he held off VET then. He could then have turned is engine back up and defended (and I guess this is what actually happened). So the actual pass was fair and square. Arguably, he and his engineer should have pushed more on the inlap so he would have come out well ahead of VET, and avoided all this.

• David-A (@david-a) said on 24th March 2013, 12:12

Vettel came out of the pits near Webber in today’s race, and defended the position well. Then Vettel passed him on turn 4 of the following lap. How would Webber not have kept his guard up? Through total ignorance?

They both drove hard and fair and neither car was in danger of not finishing the race due to car/tyre issues that time.

How much more danger was there today? Hamilton was dropping back from the RBR pair with issues. The Red Bulls were pretty much fine.

3. Alex Bkk (@alex-bkk) said on 24th March 2013, 10:27

I’ve never rated a race as low as I have just done. I gave it a 2. It was depressing.

4. Lin1876 (@lin1876) said on 24th March 2013, 10:30

7.5, rounded down to 7. It was a good race with some great racing, but the win never looked like slipping from Red Bull’s grasp and the good battles were intermittent.

.5 added for the ongoing handbags after the race!

5. N7 (@m77) said on 24th March 2013, 10:30

We all have lots of opinions on what is right/what isn’t but personally for a couple of hours there I was pretty highly entertained. 9/10

6. MilleniumBug (@milleniumbug) said on 24th March 2013, 10:35

I don’t get the hate on the Mercedes team order. Didn’t they do what Red Bull should have done? Hating on Vettel overtaking Webber when he shouldn’t, at the same time hating on Hamilton/Rosberg sticking to the team order? Hardly contradicting at all

• Speeding Helmet said on 24th March 2013, 10:44

Red Bulls order was to preserve both cars to ensure a one-two finish with no problems (no driver preference, even though Weber would have been quicker if he hadn’t deliberately slowed down on team instructions) – i.e. both drivers told to slow!

Mercedes order WAS about driver preference and keeping the faster driver behind!

Difference compared to the Silverstone order in 2011 was that it again fell into the driver preference category.

7. shaggymike (@shaggymike) said on 24th March 2013, 10:36

I can’t understand why people feel the race was terrible because of the pit stop blunders, or the tense interteam rivalries. The politics, prat-falls and the passes all contribute to the excitement and drama. A dull 10 minutes at the end when everything settled down was the only negative.

8. matt90 (@matt90) said on 24th March 2013, 10:36

I gave it a 5. It started very well, and I enjoyed the formation running too because it was tense for a long while. The tension went the second that it became clear that Hamilton could not run at the pace of the Red Bulls. The bit of excitement from the Red Bulls was great, but cheapened upon hearing the circumstances of it. Watching the last 10 or so laps of coasting was incredibly dull, and overall I felt like I’d spent the race just waiting for something to happen that never really did. Plus, the DRS, particularly the second zone, was generally a joke. If we have to have DRS, it needs to be more like last week, with any overtaking happening right into the corner rather than halfway along the straight.

9. Ryan F1 (@rgbargie) said on 24th March 2013, 10:36

7/10 Decent race. Some good overtaking but the DRS was stupid. Lost so much respect for Vettel and Mercedes today. Ridiculous. 1/10 for that but purely on the actual race, it wasn’t bad, so I deem 7 a fair rating.

Props to Bianchi on a good 13th finish.

10. tmekt (@tmekt) said on 24th March 2013, 10:38

Gave it a 9. Despite the race turning out to be kind of anti-climatic, there was plenty of CLEAN action, suspense and surprising events.

The race was sort of painful to watch from the perspect of (a Finnish) Kimi fan and Bottas didn’t quite make it to points. Some people should – once again – look at the instructions of the voting, you shouldn’t vote based on how much you like Pirelli’s tyres or team orders (which are completely legal).

• Dizzy said on 24th March 2013, 10:44

you shouldn’t vote based on how much you like Pirelli’s tyres

But if the pirelli tyres affect the race in a way you dislike then I think you shoudl vote based on the tyres.

I hate them, I hate the effect they have on the racing with tyre saving & stupid passing so i will vote races down if tyres play a big role.

Same with the DRS, If passing is made stupidly easy its not getting a high mark from me!

Today I gave it 4/10.

• Bobby (@f1bobby) said on 24th March 2013, 10:48

Everyone’s on the same tyres, up to the teams to solve the puzzle. Give me ‘bubblegum’ tyres over processional racing every single time.

• Dizzy said on 24th March 2013, 12:37

You could have slightly more durable tyres & still have good racing.

My problem isn’t with the tyres degrading faster than normal, Its the level of wear & the speed of drop-off.

With things as they are you just have this stupid tyre saving all race & situations where drivers at different stages of wear are unable to race each other because of how massive an advantage fresh tyres are.

Watching F1 now is so unsatisfying for me as the racing is becoming too artificial. I used to love watching a good race & a good racing scrap over positions, Don’t get the same level of excitement or enjoyment now because of these stupid artificial gimmicks.

• David-A (@david-a) said on 24th March 2013, 11:03

@tmekt – Yeah, I was hoping Bottas could catch Vergne for 10th.

11. The race was entertaining to look at, wasn’t very entertaining to listen to. I found it quite fascinating, so I gave it a 7. Without the pit radios revealing all the team order nonsense it would have seemed quite different.

Having them (the radio messages) so openly broadcast is quite risky for the sport and arguably damages it. Its one thing to speculate and joke about team orders, its another thing entirely to have them clearly heard and the frustrations of the drivers involved. Possibly going to be lasting fallout from this.

12. Mariano (@mariano) said on 24th March 2013, 10:40

Team orders all around the front runners, an awful thing that left me with an overall bad taste when the race ended. Haven’t felt that way since a long time ago so I rated the race a 4. For many years people have criticized Ferrari for such orders but today it has been proven that all teams have being doing it openly or behind the scene when it was prohibited to do so.

13. Emma_LN said on 24th March 2013, 10:42

These bubblegum tyres are getting ridiculous.

all race everyone was just saving the tyres, all you heard on the team radio feed on the pits channel was drivers been told not to race & to instead run to a delta time to conserve the tyres.
    thats why the mid part of the race was so dull, nobody was actually racing.

also you had the dumb racing system making passing so ridiculously easy in many cases that it was just boring to see the passes occur.

the best bit of racing in the drs zone was when raikkonen passed hulkenberg without using his drs as it wasn’t working. without his drs he got just alongside nico using the slipstream & then we had a real racing into the braking zone & a real overtake whihc kimi really had to work for at the end of it.
    just shows why drs should be banned!

14. Rahim.RG (@rahim-rg) said on 24th March 2013, 10:43

Good race…but would have liked if it was dry from the start..good battle..7/10
    Today Vettel just lost a Fan..

15. dirgegirl (@dirgegirl) said on 24th March 2013, 10:46

8/10 for me. The huge gaps between knots of cars was the only real issue, and the team politics and personalities were fascinating.

If I were Marigold, I would have said to hell with it and passed Lewis. Nico is in danger of becoming a bridesmaid a la DC. Much as I wanted the Red Bull team to support Mark Webber, Seb was right to take the opportunity to pass. In the end, an apology after the fact doesn’t cost him anything, and he gets the points. F1 isn’t road cycling – there’s very little chivalry involved.

1 3 4 5 6 7 9