Malaysian Grand Prix ‘has put us on the map’ – PM

F1 Fanatic round-up

Start, Sepang, 2013In the round-up: The Malaysian prime minister gives a strong endorsement of his country’s race after the 15th running of it last weekend.

Links

Your daily digest of F1 news, views, features and more.

Ensuring future of Sepang F1 (Business Times)

Malaysian prime minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak: “Organising the Formula One has put Malaysia on the world map. It shows that Malaysia can organise an international event of this stature.”

Pic: no regrets over Caterham move (Autosport)

“I had a great year with Marussia but now I am very happy to be with Caterham for this year and the future. It’s not frustrating at all.”

Don’t be like my dad: Jacques Villenueve warns Vettel and Webber feuds between team-mates can be lethal (The Mirror)

“Ignoring is just plain wrong. The best ??example is my father and Didier Pironi. Just look at the problems that caused.”

Van der Garde to miss four FP1 sessions (GP Update)

“As it stands I will lose four Friday sessions. The first one I won’t be driving is Bahrain.”

Comment of the day

Among my favourite suggestions for yesterday’s Caption Competition were those from Dragoll, Steve Lockwood, Rambler and FunkyF1.

But I think many of you will already know what the wiunner is – this one from @Bpacman:

Mark Webber, Red Bull, Sepang, 2013

“Helmet Marko has accepted your friend request”

From the forum

Happy birthday!

Happy birthday to Yuri Kofman and Shortstick1!

On this day in F1

Damon Hill won a rain-soaked Brazilian Grand Prix on this day in 1996:

Images ?? Red Bull/Getty

81 comments on Malaysian Grand Prix ‘has put us on the map’ – PM

1. matt90 (@matt90) said on 31st March 2013, 12:15

I find that first link pretty funny, seeing as the only thing about the race which I’ve heard fans fault is the organisation.

2. GT_Racer said on 31st March 2013, 13:57

On the Brazil 1996 race.

I remember at the time the drivers said that the conditions were “On the limit of what the cars & tyres could cope with”.

It was after that GoodYear produced the monsoon tyres, However they were never used as it never got wet enough for them so they stopped producing them concluding they weren’t worth the continued R&D cost.

3. karter22 (@karter22) said on 31st March 2013, 14:20

Villeneuve was a bit dramatic with his comment. Sure it might bring him back memories but <i wouldn´t go so far as to say the webber/vettel rivalry could be fatal… at least not with these cars.

• Robbie (@robbie) said on 1st April 2013, 16:00

I think his point is about the poison that can be allowed to eat at the whole team from this type of event. JV, always a bit of a daredevil himself, has been saying for years now that the cars and tracks are safe enough and that they shouldn’t dumb down F1 anymore. And I know you wouldn’t go so far as to say the MW/SV rivalry could be fatal, but then you didn’t lose your Dad in a F1 car. None of us has. I think JV should be given a little leaway even by those who think he is being a bit dramatic. There’s nothing wrong with someone so close to this issue pointing out he’d rather not see a repeat of history, but would rather others learn from his Dad’s death. Perhaps JV is hoping his Dad’s death won’t have been in vain if some can look from that situation and not allow distractions in F1 to harm themselves or someone else in the future.

4. “Vettel’s actions at last Sunday’s Malaysian GP have sparked a worldwide storm. Despite a team order to hold position in second, the 25-year-old waited until his team-mate turned his engine down and then leaped past to take a valuable victory and seven extra points.”

I think that’s misconstruing the facts to shine Vettel in a bad light: he attacked him when he did because he had the undercut from having just pitted, there was nothing sinister about it.

• Traverse (@) said on 31st March 2013, 22:53

Agreed. The fact that Seb pitted first would’ve set alarm bells ringing in Mark’s cockpit (and no doubt Mark’s engineer would’ve informed him of the potential threat from Seb). And if the plan was to hold position, why didn’t they pit Webber first?

• @hellotraverse – really, Vettel only lost out to Webber initially because he pitted to early to rid of the intermediates, so he was just returning the compliment in the final stint.

• Robbie (@robbie) said on 1st April 2013, 16:12

In terms of misconstruing the facts, I think the fact that SV disobeyed the team, stole a win that he himself has said he is not proud of, and that he has had to apologize for in front of the whole team, proves that there was everything sinister about what he did. To boil it down to simply having ‘the undercut from having just pitted’ is miscontruing the facts much moreso than saying “the 25-year-old waited until his team-mate turned his engine down and then leaped past to take a valuable victory and seven extra points.”

He gave the team and his teammate the middle finger and told them with his actions that he will do as he himself sees fit and never mind the entity called Red Bull and it’s sponsors who put millions of dollars in his bank account and allow him riches and Championships for doing what he loves.

• Traverse (@) said on 1st April 2013, 20:55

And I for one like him all the more for it! RING DING DING!

• Robbie (@robbie) said on 2nd April 2013, 2:57

Lol, to each their own. But it must have taken something off this ‘glorious’ thing that SV did, when he stood there looking and feeling like he did something wrong as each minute went by and each contact with the key players occurred and his unpopular deed sunk in once he got out of the car. I would have thought that had he done something to revere, he would have stood behind his action with the defiance of someone who will stop at nothing to attain his goal. Rather, he looked embarassed. Why would he have something to apologize for, and why would he stoop so low to apologize for winning, if he did something so champion-worthy?

He stole a win and wouldn’t even defend it. That’s not, to me, true champion type behaviour, but that of a spoiled sport. I’d have been a little more impressed, and a little more understanding of his supposed winning desires akin to champions, if he at least backed up his own actions with something more. The burning desire of the true greats I understand. Winning this way under the guise of greatness I do not.