Button still your favourite but Raikkonen is gaining

2013 F1 season

Jenson Button, McLaren, Sepang, 2013Jenson Button has been consistently chosen as the most popular driver on F1 Fanatic since the ‘driver support’ feature was added in late 2011.

But as the 2013 begins Kimi Raikkonen has displaced Lewis Hamilton as the second favourite driver of F1 Fanatic readers.

The Lotus driver has moved quickly up the rankings since his F1 comeback last year.

Of the new drivers Valtteri Bottas is your favourite so far, having already amassed more supporters than Jean-Eric Vergne and Charles Pic.

Here’s a breakdown of how many supporters each of the drivers have at the start of the new season.

Jenson Button
Jean-Eric Vergne
Jules Bianchi
Charles Pic
Max Chilton
Esteban Gutierrez
Giedo van der Garde

McLaren are still the clear favourite among the teams enjoying almost twice as many supporters as Ferrari, with Lotus not far behind.

Despite three years of considerable success Red Bull inspire comparatively little affection. They have just fallen behind Mercedes, perhaps because the popular Lewis Hamilton is driving for the Silver Arrows this year.

McLaren
314
Toro Rosso
135
Marussia
104

NB. Figures correct as of March 30th 2013

How to show your support

Here’s how to show which drivers and teams you are supporting:

• Log in with your F1 Fanatic account
  • Select Edit My Profile from the top-right menu
  • Select F1 Teams and Drivers
  • Make your selection then click Save Changes

2013 F1 season

Browse all 2013 F1 season articles

Image ?? McLaren/Hoch Zwei

167 comments on Button still your favourite but Raikkonen is gaining

1 2 3
  1. spartacus (@spartacus) said on 1st April 2013, 12:23

sounds right jenson is a great driver and great bloke

• beneboy (@beneboy) said on 1st April 2013, 13:18

I reckon we need some clearly defined definitions for stuff like this.
      Personally I think Jenson is a good driver, one of the best of the second tier of current drivers but not quite great; which would be a superlative I’d reserve for the likes of Senna, Stewart, Schumacher & Clark.

• Traverse (@) said on 1st April 2013, 14:47

Senna, Stewart, Schumacher & Clark.

And Vettel.

• Force Maikel (@force-maikel) said on 1st April 2013, 18:03

@hellotraverse Vettel is a top class driver like Fernando Alonso and Lewis Hamilton but for any of these gentlemen to reach LEGENDARY status they need to win a title with another team. That’s just the way I feel about it.

• matt90 (@matt90) said on 1st April 2013, 18:34

Like Clark, Senna and Stewart?

• Force Maikel (@force-maikel) said on 1st April 2013, 18:39

@matt90 They drove in years when f1 was very deadly. To become legendary in the 21st century you need to win a title with different teams. That’s just the way I feel about it. Perhaps it is different for you?

• Traverse (@) said on 1st April 2013, 18:42

So if Button were to win the WDC with McLaren, he’d be more deserving of the title legend than Alonso, Vettel or indeed Senna?

• BBT (@bbt) said on 1st April 2013, 20:44

@hellotraverse

Well yes, actually!

• BBT (@bbt) said on 1st April 2013, 20:45

although maybe not Senna.

• Force Maikel (@force-maikel) said on 1st April 2013, 20:53

@hellotraverse Yes he would but both you and I know that the chances of Button winning a second title are not that big. Don’t get me wrong he’s a great driver but I feel he is not consistent enough.

About Senna, like I said Arayton raced in a different era. Back then the difference between cars and drivers were bigger then now. There were more opportunities to stick out of the pack. Nowadays there are 5 champions on the grid!

• Maksutov (@maksutov) said on 2nd April 2013, 4:43

I agree with that statement.

• jimscreechy (@) said on 2nd April 2013, 7:08

Entirely agree.

• Chris (@tophercheese21) said on 1st April 2013, 15:27

I’m going to disagree, respectfully.

I think that anyone who gets a seat in F1 is a good, if not great driver. Their strength, mental focus, and reactions are off the charts.

Those names you listed (Senna, Stuart, Schumacher and Clarke), are all LEGENDARY drivers.

Jenson is a GREAT driver. But not a Legendary driver.

• Traverse (@) said on 1st April 2013, 15:34

So karthikeyan is a great driver…okaaaay XD

• Chris (@tophercheese21) said on 1st April 2013, 15:35

I said “good, if not great”.

And I’ll bet you anything he’s 100 times the driver you are.

• Chris (@tophercheese21) said on 1st April 2013, 15:44

Never really appreciated people’s complete disregard for Karthikeyan.

Sure, he’s not the best driver in Formula 1, and to be fair, he was in a complete failure of a team. They weren’t there to try and score points, their only objective was to simply exist.

Of course he’s a good driver! If he weren’t then I’m sure HRT would’ve dropped him in favour of Ma Qing Hua.

• beneboy (@beneboy) said on 1st April 2013, 15:51

That’s why I said I think we need some clearly defined definitions for stuff like this, by normal, everyday standards any driver in F1 is a great driver but in the context of F1 there are some rubbish drivers, a lot of average drivers, some good drivers and a very small number of great drivers and in my opinion Jenson is not a great driver (even if I agree that he’s a great bloke), he’s good and possible one of the best of the good drivers but I think there is a massive gap between him and the drivers I mentioned above.

• electrolite (@electrolite) said on 1st April 2013, 20:05

I think everyone needs to chill a little bit and just take this casual comment a bit lighter…

• Carl Craven said on 3rd April 2013, 22:18

Of course he’s not legendary, there is probably only ONE living F1 legend and that is MS. How ridiculous to say he’s not worthy of being a legend. No one is!

• petebaldwin (@petebaldwin) said on 2nd April 2013, 15:17

I think the 2nd tier is probably about right. He’s in a group with other “decent” drivers such as Coulthard, Webber, Ralf Schumacher etc. All good drivers who, given the chance, could win races but are never going to consistantly deliver strong results.

In fairness, Button would probably be at the top of that group of drivers but when faced with a top driver as a team mate, will ultimately lose out. I would be willing to bet a large amount of money on Perez beating Button over 2 seasons.

• antifia (@antifia) said on 2nd April 2013, 19:44

Yep, not bad drivers but a bit of happy-go-lucky, aren’t they? Gerard Berger, Ricardo Patrese, Eddie Irvine, Rubens Barrichelo, Mark Webber, Jenson Button – all decent drivers who ended up in top teams but not as #1. The last two in the list are a bit of an exception for they were not quite elevated to a top team but, instead, one day found out that the dog team they used to drive for suddenly became a top dog. In the case of Jenson, with the added blessing of being paired with Rubens who, besides being far from great, was about 10 years past his best – bad luck Mark, had Coultard stayed put and you’d probably be double champion by now. But the truth is that neither of the two would have been hired by a top team if they knew they would be top. (yeah JB is at Mclaren now, but only after he won his title – a little less luck in 2009 and he would have exited F1 and would have been largely forgotten by now).

2. Kanman1 said on 1st April 2013, 12:24

Kimi has brought many happiness to F1 since his comeback.

Hope he stay for 2014…..

3. He’s such a cool guy, no-brainer. We all like him, whatever the team we support, he’s a pure sportsman.

4. Ivano (@) said on 1st April 2013, 12:27

Well, it would be surprising if Jenson and McLaren aren’t favorites on a British site.

• Hairs (@hairs) said on 1st April 2013, 12:35

by that logic, Hamilton should be #1 because he’s a good deal more famous than Jenson and gets far more press.

And as has been discussed, all the f1 teams apart from Ferrari and Sauber are British.

• Ivano (@) said on 1st April 2013, 12:44

I’ve noticed with most British sites, Jenson is more liked than Lewis, especially after Lewis left for Merc.

Press means little diffirence when both are world champions.

And nope, Caterham is Malaysian, Toro Rosso is Italian based in Italy, Mercedes is German, and Redbull is Austrian, according to their flags and anthems when they win races.

• Ivano (@) said on 1st April 2013, 12:49

Oops, and Force India races for India. ;)

• Bernard (@bernard) said on 1st April 2013, 14:47

All teams are based in Britain except Ferrari, Sauber and Toro Rosso. The podium flags merely signify the country they got their licence from.

• Ivano (@) said on 1st April 2013, 14:57

Yes, they’re based in Britain, but that’s not the country they’re racing for, thus they’re not British.

It’s like saying Mercedes road cars (Example) manufactured in Poland are Polish. No, they’re German, regardless of the Polish work force bolting them together on Polish soil.

• matt90 (@matt90) said on 1st April 2013, 18:44

There’s a big difference, as Mercedes road cars are still engineered largely in Germany. If a Formula 1 team did the design work in another country and just did assembly in the UK you might be right. It probably rankles with the workers actually when a seemingly random national anthem is played.

• Bernard (@bernard) said on 1st April 2013, 19:26

@ivano

They are not racing for any country, they are racing for money and a place in sporting history. Ownership is complex and nothing to do with podium flags and anthems. I could buy shares in any public foreign company that doesn’t make it British.

The teams in question use British infrastructure, most of the employees are British, the entities themselves are registered with companies house in the UK and they pay UK taxes, that makes them British in any reasonable sense.

McLaren has 50% Bahraini, 25% Luxembourgian and 25% Ron Dennis ownership, what flag do they use? I could go on but I think I’ve made my point.

• Ivano (@) said on 1st April 2013, 20:27

The fact is, regardless of where they’re built, who builds them, and to who they pay their taxes to… they’re officially not British as they’re not registered as British. Or else, they’d have a British flag.

• JP (@jonathanproc) said on 1st April 2013, 23:42

Most people aren’t that ignorant though (I hope). We know the Red Bull or Lotus are based in Britain and are a British team. Just because the bosses that are supplying money from want their flag on the car doesn’t mean I’ll believe the team aren’t British.

Therefore I wouldn’t question somebody if they told me that they support Red Bull because they are British!

• JP (@jonathanproc) said on 1st April 2013, 23:43

My previous comment is directed at @ivano

• Ivano (@) said on 5th April 2013, 14:19

@jonathanproc

They may be based on British turf, they may have British staff, but when they win, they’re not recorded in history with a British flag. So, they’re not British, and all those British staff members are working to have a non-British flag win. It’s fact, it’s ignorant to who is denying it.

• Traverse (@) said on 1st April 2013, 14:57

That’s because people envy success, hence why people dislike Ham and Vet. Both drivers (Ham and Vet) were successful pretty much from day one, so people give them less credit; Button on the other hand had to struggle blah blah blah etc…*YAWN*

LOL, Ham and Vet sounds like a Deli sandwich. :-)

• Ivano (@) said on 1st April 2013, 15:00

Personally, if I have to pick one and as I like my drivers on what they do on the track, I’m for Ham, eventhough I do recognize Jenson as a class driver.

• sonia luff (@sonia54) said on 2nd April 2013, 18:20

I disagree with your comment of ‘people envy success and that’s why they dislike Lewis and Vet’. It may be the case for you but I don’t like either and it ‘s got NOTHING to do with them being successful and I would say that would be the same for a lot of other people

• Sankalp Sharma (@sankalp88) said on 1st April 2013, 20:00

@Ivano

I think people misread Keith’s objective of the poll. He’s telling you statistics for “their favorite” driver not for who’s the “better driver”. Just because Massa’s is my favorite, doesn’t mean he’s the best. And in all honesty far from it. Meanwhile, it’s easy to see why people like Button. He always comes on the camera with a smiling face, no matter the outcome of the qualifying/race. He shows great restraint even when criticizing other drivers and the self-deprecating humor does him no harm. Bottomline, many people would vote for Button even though deep down they know Vettel, Alonso and Hamilton are better drivers.

• Maksutov (@maksutov) said on 2nd April 2013, 4:50

@sankalp88

Well, from what I can read, @ivano said:

And I agree with him/her. Even though I myself like Button’s personality the most.

• Ivano (@) said on 5th April 2013, 14:00

@maksutov Him. ;)

• petebaldwin (@petebaldwin) said on 2nd April 2013, 15:26

@ivano I think you misunderstood him – he meant that the factory is based in Britain and the staff are British.

Using your argument, Chelsea are a Russian football team and Man Utd are American!

• Ivano (@) said on 5th April 2013, 14:12

@petebaldwin

No, that’s not my arguement, because when Chelsea and Man United win, the history books records them with a British flag. Which doesn’t happen with Red Bull and etc…

• Carl Craven said on 3rd April 2013, 22:14

Unfortunately, non of the teams race for any nationality, they race for private owners or for manufacturers.

Ferrari are based in Italy and race for an Italian based auto manufacturer, but don’t race for Italy.

I think what the poster was saying was that many teams including Mercedes and Force India are infact all based in England and a huge proportion of F1 employees are infact British. That would include employees at Ferrari too.

• beneboy (@beneboy) said on 1st April 2013, 13:11

This may be a British website but people from all over the world visit it because it’s the best F1 site on the net, Keith will be able to give us more accurate figures but according to Statscrop.com only 20.5% of visitors to this site are from Britain.

• ubik said on 1st April 2013, 14:48

Visitors are not members. To be sure we need repartition pie for this kind of poll. I bet more than 50% are britain in This case, but i Can be wrong. Should the website french in french language, grosjean would be far more higher, and if it was german, Mercedes and vettel would be first. It is normal otherwise country means nothing.

• Ivano (@) said on 1st April 2013, 14:58

And they’re are no British people outside the UK?

• Jon Sandor (@jonsan) said on 1st April 2013, 15:59

You can get a sense of the degree of British influence here by looking at the support for Paul di Resta. Here’s a driver who’s done nothing in his brief time in F1 and who will be lucky if he’s still in F1 next year – and he draws considerably more support than drivers of greater skill, potential, and/or pedigree, such as Massa, Hulkenberg, or Bottas. The same thing is shown in Webber having more support than Vettel, members of the Commonwealth being “honorary Brits” for the purposes of sporting competition.

• Maksutov (@maksutov) said on 2nd April 2013, 4:52

Not the mention the hate for “Vettel”.

• petebaldwin (@petebaldwin) said on 2nd April 2013, 15:52

Support for Webber over Vettel isn’t just a British thing. I’d have thought other than Germany, Webber is the more popular Red Bull driver!

Also, regarding Di Resta, I agree that he gets a decent following simply because he’s Scottish and isn’t a particularly great driver. Having said that, I’m amazed anyone supports Massa! It’s like supporting the Man Utd reserve team – you only exist to aid the first team/driver.

• Hairs (@hairs) said on 6th April 2013, 15:02

@jonsan That’s a good point about DiResta. I wonder though, how much of that support is because people clicked on his name when he first arrived, and whether people would change their minds now?

He certainly hasn’t had a lot of supporters in the comments of late. I think whatever boost in support he got from the BBC’s attentions early on is waning quickly.

• PieLighter (@pielighter) said on 1st April 2013, 14:36

@cristian Look at your calendar and ask again. :P

• Ivano (@) said on 1st April 2013, 15:06

Well any Italian site, the majority is Red. On the German forums, it’s split between Vettel and Merc support, before it use to be between the Schumacher brothers and BMW as well. Autosport UK, is vastly McLaren and pro British, very understandably, while Autosprit in Italy is mainly Ferrari. So I do feel that a site that is co.uk does attrack British support. Got nothing against it, I enjoy my stay here, and eventhough I disagreed with Kieth in the past, he does a nice daily dose of articles, probably better than the mainstream sites.

• Maksutov (@maksutov) said on 2nd April 2013, 4:53

I feel the same.

• dennis (@dennis) said on 2nd April 2013, 13:22

McLaren has usually gotten a lot of attention in Germany since they ran Mercedes engines.
        Also, in the mid to late 90′s there has always been an anti-Schumacher camp, who jumped ship to whoever was up there for the championchip crown.
        The praise Villeneuve got from some members of the press in 1997, then of course Häkkinen and later Montoya… Pretty much like the people who support Alonso because of their shared hatred for Hamilton.

• Klaas (@klaas) said on 1st April 2013, 15:45

Unfortunately this doesn’t make Jenson any faster :)

• craig-o (@craig-o) said on 1st April 2013, 17:22

This clearly explains why Max Chilton is on 32 then. *Sarcasm*

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 1st April 2013, 21:47

@ivano @beneboy For those interested in the nationality thing, here’s the last breakdown of where site visitors are from. The top five are:

1. United Kingdom – 32.46%
      2. United States – 13.84%
      3. Australia – 6.46%
      4. Canada – 3.66%
      5. India – 2.54%

That is from seven months ago so there may have been a bit of movement in some of the figures.

Those who view this as a “British site” – whatever that is supposed to mean – should note that over two-thirds of visits are from regions outside the UK.

• Traverse (@) said on 1st April 2013, 21:56

People put too much emphasis on the .co.uk domain name. It’s like saying YouTube is an American website.

• Ivano (@) said on 1st April 2013, 22:03

Thanks and true, but it doesn’t fully mean that the regions is a reflection of where people originally come from. I’m half French, half Italian, and typing this from South Africa. ;)

• Ivano (@) said on 1st April 2013, 22:05

Also in the many English speaking company’s I’ve worked for around the world, the majority of the F1 support has been for McLaren and Williams, as most of the people there were British.

• M Dickens (@sgt-pepper) said on 1st April 2013, 22:16

(@hellotraverse)

+1 I don’t understand how people forget the internet can be accessed from anywhere on the planet.

Also, when it comes to F1 I feel that people quite so driven by which country a driver originates when choosing who they support – they more tend to analyse likeableness/driving skill etc, rather than simply saying ‘I’m British, I support the British drivers etc etc.’ I’m sure nationality still plays a role in it, but I feel it’s diminished compared to other sports.

• dennis (@dennis) said on 2nd April 2013, 13:45

@keithcollantine

In a slightly different way of saying it, there’s almost a third of your visitors from the UK. And while I’m usually a fan of your round-up, you can’t deny it’s (wild guess) at least 50 if not more percent news from british media, some of that even from the yellow/rainbow press over there.
        Yesterday it was The Guardian, The Daily Mail and even The Sun… Therefore, you should understand why people think that this is a page very heavily influenced by the UK media.

auto-motor-sport and “Spiegel” usually after races feature an international round-up with press voices from several countries, including the UK, Italy, Spain and France. Sometimes others, depending on importance.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 2nd April 2013, 18:28

@dennis

you can’t deny it’s (wild guess) at least 50 if not more percent news from British media

I can easily deny it because by your own admission it’s a “wild guess”!

But for the sake of argument let’s assume that is the case. If so, this is a reflection of the fact that most English language coverage of F1 is British. I still keep a close eye on many non-British F1 news sites and publications and they often appear in the round-up: the Austin-American Statesman, the New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, ESPN, Speed, NBC (who I also write for) – and these are just the first-half dozen that spring to mind. If I spoke other languages fluently I’d read more foreign language coverage but I don’t so it’s not a productive use of my time at the moment.

But I don’t see what connection you’re making between what percentage of links in the round-up come from British media and how many British people visit the website, and to what extent their nationality might affect which drivers they support? It all seems rather tenuous to me.

5. Funkyf1 (@funkyf1) said on 1st April 2013, 12:27

Who says nice guys finish last? JB’s killing to! Kimi wasn’t driving F1 at the time I did my peferences, so I’ve just added him. Tipping Vettel might lose a few followers after recent events. Mclaren used to be my fav team decades ago, but as much as it pains me to say it, “Without Ron, it’s as good as gone”.

6. Max Jacobson (@vettel1) said on 1st April 2013, 12:36

So much love for Red Bull and Vettel!

• Ivano (@) said on 1st April 2013, 12:46

He got a lot of love from me after Malaysia, and I’m being serious, I still feel what he did was awesome.

• David-A (@david-a) said on 1st April 2013, 12:56

I’m a Vettel fan, but I still don’t support Red Bull Racing! Ferrari is still my favourite team, as it has been since the late 90′s.

• JCost (@jcost) said on 1st April 2013, 14:40

I’m more “driver-centric”. I was a huge Ferrari fans when Schumacher was there.

• Max Jacobson (@vettel1) said on 1st April 2013, 23:13

@david-a – I can fully understand why people dislike Red Bull as well actually: they aren’t the greatest team in the world when it comes to PR, and also they don’t have the nostalgia surrounding them that Ferrari or McLaren do.

I just am not a Ferrari or McLaren fan though: there’s just something about the two of them that irritates me (perhaps it’s the fact Hamilton and Alonso drove/are driving for them, neither of whom I particularly like)!

@flig +1

• beneboy (@beneboy) said on 1st April 2013, 12:58

I’m not that surprised Red Bull are short on supporters here; for a company that specialises in PR and media relations they have done a very poor job of presenting themselves to F1 fans and I’m finding it hard to think of anyone from an F1 team that’s less likeable than Christian Horner or Helmut Marko.

• M Dickens (@sgt-pepper) said on 1st April 2013, 13:16

(@beneboy)

Vettel himself?

• FLIG (@flig) said on 1st April 2013, 15:09

Indeed, I liked them a bit better when they did stuff like Stormtroopers changing tires, or Superman at the podium.

• Klaas (@klaas) said on 1st April 2013, 15:34

@beneboy I agree with you. As a racing team RedBull have been the best in the last 3 years, one can say ‘the definition of succes’. They have everything – the best car, a young and talented driver, the status of the underdog who got to beat the BIG GUNS (Ferrari and McLaren), all the ingredients necessary in order to be at the top of F1 fans’ preferences. Unfortunately their on-track succeses and merits are shadowed by their hypocrisy and classless attitude. I can’t understand why do they allow Marko to speak publicly, that man is so delusional, it makes Luca di M look like a naive child compared to him. And Horner is ‘good’ too, he can’t speak about his team without having a go at other drivers. I think RBR should get rid of these 2 characters, they only spoil the team’s image and unfortunately it seems they spoiled Vettel too.

• Max Jacobson (@vettel1) said on 1st April 2013, 23:25

@klaas – I’m in agreeance with you: although I do like Red Bull, I do feel they let their mouths get the better of them too often. Horner is a very good team principal no doubt, but he does occasionally tar his team’s image (but not too badly I don’t think) – Marko however is just ridiculous!

I don’t quite understand what Vettel has done so wrongly though in his career to have gathered such a huge number of anti-fans: perhaps it’s merely just his assoscaiation with Red Bull that has done so, or his rivalry with Alonso (or Hamilton’s comments)?

• Traverse (@) said on 1st April 2013, 15:00

I’ve got love for Vettel, but not Red Bull…It tastes awful!!!

7. M Dickens (@sgt-pepper) said on 1st April 2013, 12:56

Hardly a suprise here – Kimi’s epically talented, and Jensen’s a true gentleman of F1.

Really hoping Kimi takes the championship this year, a man of his talent really deserves more than one.

• Mash27 said on 1st April 2013, 23:31

To say Kimi is epically talented would be stretching it a bit, for sure he’s the real deal but he’s not amazing. He can drive a good race or season but his car-control leaves much to be desired. In slippery conditions and when the car isn’t exactly to his liking he is very average; we saw that last weekend, and don’t you remember Spa 2008?.. I would say he’s better than Button but Alonso and Hamilton are some way ahead.

• Candice said on 2nd April 2013, 9:26

if you read the team report, you would knew that there’s some bugs on kimi’s car, team found it on Sat evening. Watch onboard and you will realize the car was ready to snap away from the track with massive oversteer as reported by autosport as well. Without sublime car control, i doubt he could bring the car back with handy of points.

• victor (@genevene) said on 2nd April 2013, 9:29

you’d realize his car had some issues dont you at Mal gp??

i seems to remember kimi hardly touch any cars on most of his epic outside overtakes on the corner. Same thing couldn’t be said about Alonso and Lewis.

When it comes to talent, few can match him. If only he could work harder with the team, well you cant get everything in life…

• M Dickens (@sgt-pepper) said on 2nd April 2013, 17:25

@Mash27 I’m aware he’s slightly weaker in the wet, all drivers have at least one weakness (i.e Vettel’s clumsy wheel to wheel, Hamilton will fight for positions he doesn’t have to and lose patience, Webber’s atrocious starts, Alonso’s Quali) but I feel Kimi is one of the most underrated drivers on the grid, and doesn’t really get enough credit, particularly when people refer to the ‘top three’ of Ham/Alo/Vet. Kimi’s epic wheel to wheel and quick, although I’ll admit I do love his utter indifference and rejection of the F1 PR machine.

• Candice said on 2nd April 2013, 9:24

Remember Brazil 2003??

Fuji 2007?? (alonso crash btw on extreme wet condition)

Shanghai 2007?? (setting string of competitive lap time on intermediate tyre on a drying track in which lewis suffer leading to kimi overtook him for the lead)

The F2008 was very bad on wet condition, anyone watch that season knew about it.
      Lotus ‘s technical director said the E21 like its predecessor E20 was not paritcularly good on wet condition due to its gentleness on tyre that failed to heat up the wet tyre.

Kimi is the most naturally gifted driver. Guy doesn’t do track walk, no simulator practice (he hates it), and he was asleep most of the time prior to the races.

8. David-A (@david-a) said on 1st April 2013, 12:58

I thought Van Der Garde had 1 fan for a while!

• Nick (@npf1) said on 1st April 2013, 13:26

A lot of Dutch F1 fans I know don’t even like him that much, they prefer Frijns. I’ve also seen a lot of disregard for him, perhaps even more so than Chilton in some comments.

• andae23 (@andae23) said on 1st April 2013, 14:28

I’m Dutch myself, but I’m not a fan of vd Garde. This is mainly due to his low ambition: his goal over the past few years was to drive in Formula 1 – and he has done that now. Imo, he just doesn’t have the mindset of a champion: if you’re not in F1 with the ultimate goal to win races or become champion… then what are you doing in F1?

• AdrianMorse (@adrianmorse) said on 1st April 2013, 14:03

@david-a, heh, that was me :-)

I think his first two race weekends have been fine. He had a reasonable qualifying result in Australia, and was running high initially in Malaysia, though he will need better race results if he is to make this season a success (and indeed continue in Formula 1). I’ve also been impressed by is positive attitude, and from interviews it becomes clear that he’s really enjoying his time in Formula 1.

9. Drop Valencia! said on 1st April 2013, 13:23

One thing I would say about RBR, they used to have an awesome online community, with a large, growing number of passionate and intelligent fans, then Turkey 2010 happened, and after about 4 months of RBR deleting every 2nd post, they shut their forum down due to “technical difficulties”, so far they have apparently unable to solve said problems, I think this has put alot of the online community that did follow them offside, I know it did for me.

10. DaveF1 (@davef1) said on 1st April 2013, 13:24

Sad to see that Marussia are the least supported team, I always felt that they were a lot more likeable than Caterham who strike me as quiet arrogant.

• electrolite (@electrolite) said on 1st April 2013, 14:29

@davef1 Yeah…I think a lot of that percieved arrogance is down to the amount of hot air Tony Fernandes and Mike Gascoyne were blowing at the start. Now Gascoyne, who was a real technical asset to them, is focussing on their involvement with Renault/Alpine rather than the F1 team itself and Fernandes, well – he’s quietly backed out as well.

I as a bit down on Marussia to begin with as I was amazed at how they could, somehow, do worse than HRT – but I’ve really warmed to them in the last year or so. They were gracious as they could be with the dropping of Glock and they’ve never hammered home unrealistic targets in the public eye unlike Caterham.

Like @arijitmaniac says below however, a few choices might change now…

• Ivano (@) said on 1st April 2013, 15:08

I’m disappointed with both teams. Forth year in, and still that gap from the midfield. I know it’s difficult for young teams to get established, and it has been a while since a whole new team like Jordan came in, and managed to score points right away.

• q85 said on 1st April 2013, 19:09

Stewart were probably the last team that started from scratch and achieved something.

And just look at them now 3x world champions.

• Ivano (@) said on 1st April 2013, 19:37

True, but a lot changed in personal from Stewart, to Jaguar, to then Red Bull. So ithey are three diffirent teams aside from their mailbox.

• RamboII said on 1st April 2013, 23:19

Toyota started from scratch with a budget 10x bigger then Marussia’s and caterham’s. They never won a grand prix.

• q85 said on 1st April 2013, 23:54

yes but they won a race in 3 years! JYS says there is lots of original team there but no idea how true that is.

Yes totally forgot about toyota!

11. With his act in Malaysia, Vettel for me is certainly looking more like a champion!!! I know it was unethical but so was the strategy to preserve the tyres and race till the end!! A driver should be ruthless and although u should follow the team orders but the orders should have certain sense to it!! Webber letting Vettel pass in Brazil to let him win the championship is a sensible call!!! Team management will forever cry about the team first policy but for me Formula 1 is about the drivers more than the teams!

• Klaas (@klaas) said on 1st April 2013, 15:42

Vettel for me is certainly looking more like a champion

I agree with you. On-track he definetly looked like a champion. During the press-conference he looked more like a b**** to me. Why should a champion apologize for winning a race? How can he say his overtaking wasn’t intentional? As I said driving skills – true champ, attitude – still a long way to go.

• Ivano (@) said on 1st April 2013, 16:09

He probably apologised because of PR and sponsorship pressure.

• Klaas (@klaas) said on 1st April 2013, 16:50

Was the grim face on the podium meant to promote his sponsors?

• Ivano (@) said on 1st April 2013, 20:31

Well, for Sponsorship sake, of what little was left, he had to apologise because the majority of fans, witch hunted him for it, and that didn’t look for RedBull and co if he didn’t. He knew if smiled on the podium there would be longer threads on a site like this, and most likely back in his trailer, he had his widest smile.

• WilliamB (@william-brierty) said on 1st April 2013, 17:47

@akshay and @klaas

What?????? On track he looked like a driver with no honour whatsoever. He looked desperate, irrational, almost as if it was his only chance of winning a race. He was a Didier Pironi, not a champion. You think that by being the triple world champion it somehow justifies his blatant two-fingers to the Red Bull team management? Apologizing was the very least if he wants anything in the way of support for the rest of the season, which he’s gonna need if he’s going to take on Alonso and Ferrari. Had Red Bull allowed Vettel and Webber to fight it out properly in the final stint, and had Hamilton been fueled properly, I’d have fully expected Hamilton or maybe even Rosberg to have won. Neutralizing the race and attempting to avert from the awful tyre wear Red Bull had been suffering that weekend, whilst fully exploiting the Mercedes’ fueling issue, was the only sensible call. Being a world champion does not in any way allow for frankly idiotic action. What was Vettel thinking? That his outright defiance would somehow be excused by the team just because he’s their champion? You are both arguing along the same lines as Gerhard Berger and Bernie Ecclestone, saying that Vettel is rather like Senna in that he is ruthless and that champions require this ruthless nature. Senna was a great driver, the very best, but even what some called “ruthlessness” in Imola ’89 came across to me at the time as nothing more than plain idiocy, idiocy that arguably lost him the championship that year, but that’s a story for another day. All that matters is the fact that this is not the murky days of the early 2000s when everyone would swerve out of the way when the “heroic champion” came through in a flash of red, because now the team really does know best. OK, it would have been a duller race, but Vettel’s actions diluted the championship excitement (he is now several points clear) and has given an insight into a rather unpleasant dynamic of his demeanor. On track he drove like a fool and off track he did the bare minimum to cover himself and retain any support whatsoever. At no point did he drive like a champion, and that’s why he is, and will remain, a comparably unpopular driver.

• Jon Sandor (@jonsan) said on 1st April 2013, 20:34

He was a Didier Pironi, not a champion.

Set aside for a moment Mark Webber’s routine flouting of team orders – Keith looked at how common team orders were in just the one race at Sepang and how often they were complied with on that one day. Not very often, was the answer.

So I repeat: Why do people keep acting as if the last time a driver ignored team orders was a quarter-century ago? Even if we confine ourselves to just the Red Bull team, the last time a driver at RB ignored team orders was Brazil 2012. That’s a whole two races ago in F1 time.

• Ivano (@) said on 1st April 2013, 20:39

Senna when going the win wasn’t much of a sportsman as well. And yeah, in 1989 he also lost it by taking out Mansel in Portugal with one of the dumbest moves in F1 history. Then in 1990 he took out Prost, and didn’t even try to make it look like a Schumacher accident, which he admitted the following year.

Also from your perspective about everyone swerving out of the way for a red car, that’s sounds like the view of non-Ferrari fan (?), because the Ferrari fans feel the same about everyone car swerving out of the way for certain Rothmans and West cars when they were champions.

Regardless, Vettel did well. He’s 3 times world champion, and shouldn’t be told to hold position which would have made the race duller.

• Kelsier (@kelsier) said on 4th April 2013, 16:16

Yes ignoring blackflags and then taking out another driver does make it one of the dumbest moves in F1 history. But we all know he was a stupid blockhead (and I heard his wife was ugly too).

• There will always be two different lobbies!! Well all I said was they should have let them race, if Webber wants to come first let him earn it!!!

• Max Jacobson (@vettel1) said on 2nd April 2013, 12:26

@klaas – agreed, although sadly I think that’s a consequence of the current PR machine more than anything :(

12. Arijit (@arijitmaniac) said on 1st April 2013, 13:31

Keith, do the graphs update themselves? Because many F1Fanatics would want to update their profiles with their supported driver after reading this article because many (myself included) would have forgotten about the supported driver section in our profiles and this article reminds us to update them??

13. electrolite (@electrolite) said on 1st April 2013, 14:02

Di Resta the 7th most popular? That really, really surprises me…

14. mike-e (@mike-e) said on 1st April 2013, 14:04

@keithcollantine how do you change your selection on android phone? The mobile version doesnt seem to have good access to your own profile, be that messages or this.

15. Gill (@gill) said on 1st April 2013, 14:09

Does nationality of a driver matter ? For me its not. Coz neither Force India is my fav team nor Karun Chndok / Narain Kar. was my fav driver. If I apply the same logic to every F1 fanatic, how could jenson be the no 1 liked driver in the world today, I fail to see the logic…………..

• petebaldwin (@petebaldwin) said on 2nd April 2013, 15:22

I guess it depends where you’re from… Germans supported Schumacher, Spanish support Alonso, Italians support Ferrari and the Polish supported Kubica…. If I had Karthikeyan or Chandhok as my choices, I’d not care about nationality either!!!

1 2 3