Button still your favourite but Raikkonen is gaining

2013 F1 season

Jenson Button, McLaren, Sepang, 2013Jenson Button has been consistently chosen as the most popular driver on F1 Fanatic since the ‘driver support’ feature was added in late 2011.

But as the 2013 begins Kimi Raikkonen has displaced Lewis Hamilton as the second favourite driver of F1 Fanatic readers.

The Lotus driver has moved quickly up the rankings since his F1 comeback last year.

Of the new drivers Valtteri Bottas is your favourite so far, having already amassed more supporters than Jean-Eric Vergne and Charles Pic.

Here’s a breakdown of how many supporters each of the drivers have at the start of the new season.

Jenson Button
Jean-Eric Vergne
Jules Bianchi
Charles Pic
Max Chilton
Esteban Gutierrez
Giedo van der Garde

McLaren are still the clear favourite among the teams enjoying almost twice as many supporters as Ferrari, with Lotus not far behind.

Despite three years of considerable success Red Bull inspire comparatively little affection. They have just fallen behind Mercedes, perhaps because the popular Lewis Hamilton is driving for the Silver Arrows this year.

McLaren
314
Toro Rosso
135
Marussia
104

NB. Figures correct as of March 30th 2013

How to show your support

Here’s how to show which drivers and teams you are supporting:

• Log in with your F1 Fanatic account
  • Select Edit My Profile from the top-right menu
  • Select F1 Teams and Drivers
  • Make your selection then click Save Changes

2013 F1 season

Browse all 2013 F1 season articles

Image ?? McLaren/Hoch Zwei

167 comments on Button still your favourite but Raikkonen is gaining

1. iAltair (@ialtair) said on 1st April 2013, 16:47

Vettel might gain more likes after Sepang 2013 instead of losing?

Now that is something new.

2. Force Maikel (@force-maikel) said on 1st April 2013, 18:07

So Vettel is the least supported champion on the grid. At last finally something he doesn’t finish first LOL :-)

3. Dane (@n0b0dy100) said on 1st April 2013, 18:29

Not surprised Vettel ranks so low after the stunt he pulled at Sepang.

4. Ben (@scuderia29) said on 1st April 2013, 18:33

i support the team (ferrari) more than the drivers themselves, i mean…i was a huge schumacher fan, but when he started racing for mercedes i wasnt, i supported Alonso & Massa. I dont follow a driver from team to team, before Alonso joined ferrari i respected him but i wasnt his fan as he wasnt driving a ferrari…now that he is i love him :D

• Antonio (@antoniocorleone) said on 2nd April 2013, 0:04

Exactly how I feel.
      I didn’t suport Schumacher at Mercedes but I loved him at Ferrari, just as I didn’t like Alonso at Renault but love him now at Ferrari. Strangely, I somehow didn’t like Raikkonen even when he drove a Ferrari.

• Roberto (@roberto) said on 2nd April 2013, 1:06

It’s going to be very funny when Vettel joins Ferrari (which is just a matter of time IMO) and many Vettel haters start supporting him due to this. Granted, many will ‘wait it out’ to see if he’s good enough to win races, but at least to me, anyone who didn’t see that he is a great racer until now is just blind. The fact he is beating Alonso for titles now is playing a HUGE role on how the Ferrari execs perceive him (especially when Alonso makes stupid mistakes like he did in Sepang). I believe if he beats Alonso this year as well, his move to Ferrari will come sooner then 2016.

Although this won’t do anything to better the opinion about him of many McLaren fans (or maybe it will?).

5. Make a new poll.

6. Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 1st April 2013, 21:18

I’m surprised that Esteban Gutierrez is that far down the order. At the very least, I expected him to be ahead of Bianchi, Chilton and Pic.

• Dion (@infinitygc) said on 1st April 2013, 21:24

Well, maybe not Bianchi, since he’s pretty impressive, but definitely Chilton and probably Van Der Garde and Pic too…

• electrolite (@electrolite) said on 1st April 2013, 23:31

@prisoner-monkeys I think a lot of people perhaps him as one of the bad guys simply because many were so fond of last year’s Sauber line up – obviously Hulkenberg’s there too, but on talent alone. Not saying I see him that way, but he’s definitely yet to win me over.

7. dragoll (@dragoll) said on 2nd April 2013, 4:49

I think people get too wrapped up in supporting legendary drivers, fans can support any driver in the field, regardless if they are a 7 times WDC or a 1 time race winner.

I think that’s the beauty of motorsport, any driver on their given day with a given package could be a race winner…

Some drivers end up with the car package to do the job on regular occasion, and others, well, we all have a story to share on drivers that didn’t make it in F1..

• sakis543 said on 2nd April 2013, 7:24

My favourite ever was Jean Alesi. Pure fighter.
      If he hadn’t broke his contract with Williams to sign for Ferrari, I think the history of the sport could have been different today.

8. Ilanin (@ilanin) said on 2nd April 2013, 9:39

Ah, thank you for reminding me this feature existed Keith. I have to add Bianchi. And remove Lotus.

9. glenj (@glenj) said on 2nd April 2013, 19:30

Button? For real? He cant grab an under performing car by the scruff of its neck and get a result like Hamilton, Alonso and few others can. He’s clearly a good driver and makes good decisions in changing conditions but he must surely only be up there because he’s an English driver in a British team.

10. PMccarthy_is_a_legend (@pmccarthy_is_a_legend) said on 2nd April 2013, 23:41

Why would anyone have Jenson Button as their favourite driver is beyond me to be honest. Says a lot about the crowd here in the website.
    Jeez…

11. mjk said on 17th April 2013, 8:26

Kimi the phenom,, love to see him clinch 20013 dwc… From sauber, mclaren, ferrari and now lotus, nothing have changed, always a pure racer and number one driver..
    Full respect