Supermarket boss tipped as Ecclestone successor

F1 Fanatic round-up

Bernie Ecclestone, 2011In the round-up: Sainsbury’s boss Justin King tipped as successor to Bernie Ecclestone.

Links

Your daily digest of F1 news, views, features and more.

Bernie Ecclestone fails to deny F1 rumours over Sainsbury’s boss (The Guardian)

“[Sainsbury's chief executive Justin] King recently drove into a storm of controversy when it came to light that five brands with business ties to Sainsbury’s sponsor the racing career of his son Jordan. Last year Jordan King finished second in the Formula Renault Northern European championship and this year will race in European Formula 3, a junior series two steps below Formula One.”

Vergne rails against team-mate battle (Autosport)

“People want to make out that there is a big fight. I don’t care. I’m here to do my job and get the best result for the team.”

Claire Williams defies dad Frank to close on top job (The Sun)

“When his daughter, Claire first applied for a job working in the team?s press office his reply was short ? ‘no f-ing way!’ he blasted.”

Bahrain villagers protest against race as memory of last year’s riots casts cloud on approaching Grand Prix (Daily Mail)

“This picture, taken on Easter Sunday, shows foreign labourers in the village of Barbar, west of the capital Manama, collecting equipment against a wall sprayed with graffiti in protest at the upcoming race.”

Taki Inoue: interview with a pay driver (MotorSport)

“After qualifying 26th and last, he lost fifth and sixth gears at the start before aquaplaning into the pit wall on lap three. ‘The car felt so bad,’ he says, ‘and it was a good thing I crashed early on because I didn?t even know what the pit stop procedure was.’”

Tweets

Comment of the day

I wasn’t convinced the official F1 Live Timing app is worth paying for but Tandrews says otherwise:

I got this app for the Australian Grand Prix when I was sitting in the stands. I found it great for timing because the big screens at the circuit don?t show the times of the cars in a qualifying or practice session and even then the overall positions are hard to see on the big screens due to their small size.

The car tracker is pretty accurate as well as it helps see if cars are have good gap for a run (came in handy in Q1 in the rain before it was qualifying was cancelled) or if a car can make it back over the line in time for a final flying lap.

I also used a bit when watching the Malaysian GP to check tyre compounds and it?s good with showing sector times and gaps between cars in the races.

Even though it?s quite expensive I think it?s pretty good value for a full year and i would recommend it to anyone who is going to a grand prix this year who wants more information than what they can see on track and circuit commentary.
Tandrews (@Tomand95)

From the forum

Happy birthday!

No F1 Fanatic birthdays today.

On this day in F1

But it is Shinji Nakano’s birthday. The Japanese driver who raced in F1 in 1997 and 1998 is 42 today.

Nakano came close to scoring a point on his debut for Prost at Melbourne and picked up two sixth places during his first season. A move to Minardi the following year saw less success. After leaving in F1 he raced raced single seaters in America, crossing the divide between CART and the IRL.

Since then he has mainly raced sportscars in Japan and has also been a regular at the Le Mans 24 Hours.

Image ?? Red Bull/Getty

71 comments on Supermarket boss tipped as Ecclestone successor

1. Salcrich said on 1st April 2013, 11:08

F1 – taste the difference !!

2. Bendanarama (@bendana) said on 1st April 2013, 11:16

Is it bad I’m looking through the round up trying to figure out which jokes are April Fools?

3. WilliamB (@william-brierty) said on 1st April 2013, 11:53

I really hate F1 sometimes. Of course Vergne is interested in beating Ricciardo, there’s a flaming Red Bull seat up for grabs for Christ sake! I mean, what is the point of this culture of blatant denial? F1 please listen to me. Vergne, you are interested in beating your teammate, Red Bull, the Webber-Vettel row is not settled, Grosjean, you are worrying about crashing, and Perez, of course you’re disappointed by McLaren’s performance! Rant over.

4. Bendanarama (@bendana) said on 1st April 2013, 12:00

And “Dupont F1″ turns out to be the setting of a Novel by Alex Wurz’s wife. And my interest level just fell like a stone.

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 1st April 2013, 12:11

I find it interesting to note that the novel appears to be fully-sanctioned by Formula 1. Browing through the team’s website, I noticed that there are a lot of references to other, real-life teams. For instance, one of the characters supposedly raced with Williams F1 and ART Grand Prix, and the “championship” tab has an entry list that features almost all of this year’s teams and drivers; Sauber, Marussia and Caterham are the only omissions.

Assuming that all of this is content mirrored in the actual novel, then it stands out in my mind because I’ve never known Formula 1 to be licenced in a fictional context like this before. Sylvester Stallone came close to it with Driven before Bernie Ecclestone (wisely) backed out, and I cannot name another work that used Formula 1 as a framing device, much less as a fully-authorised production with real teams and drivers featured in it.

5. the_sigman (@sigman1998) said on 1st April 2013, 15:12

LOL at Taki!!!!!

6. Moh'd AlAmmari said on 2nd April 2013, 9:20

I’m happy that not everyone talks about Bahrain as if they live in Bahrain , protesters are trying to get more attention from the media and F1 is their best way. It’s a shame how they use the event for their own selfish ambitious.
    I as a Bahraini can’t wait to attend the race anyways and I will gladly ignore political topics regarding Bahrain and F1.