Webber & Raikkonen 2014 “candidates” – Mateschitz

F1 Fanatic round-up

Mark Webber, Red Bull, Sepang, 2013In the round-up: Red Bull owner Dietrich Mateschitz says Mark Webber can stay at the team if he wishes – and Kimi Raikkonen is a candidate for the drive as well.

Links

Your daily digest of F1 news, views, features and more.

Mark Webber could keep Red Bull seat in 2014 despite Vettel feud (The Guardian)

Dietrich Mateschitz: “Whether he retires, only he will choose but Mark is definitely a candidate for 2014.”

“The championship is still on”: Defiant Jenson Button says he can still win the F1 title, despite sluggish start (The Mirror)

“The championship is still on as far as I am concerned and I am aiming for that. Definitely.”

Di Resta keeping sights high (Sky)

“I’ve a lot of respect for what McLaren do. Although they are struggling at the moment, they can develop. But we will be pushing to stay in front of them.”

Force India: V6s must not dictate form (Autosport)

Force India deputy team principal Bob Fernley: “It mustn’t be like it was in the past when the engine differentiators were overwhelming. It would be a shame if we got there.”

Rookie diary – Sauber?s Esteban Gutierrez (F1)

“After many crazy qualifying sessions in GP2 – and believe me, you are confronted with crazy situations all the time in GP2 – it was a bit ironic that my first ever F1 qualifying session was the continuation of my GP2 experiences!”

Kimi Raikkonen Lap Behind the Scenes – Top Gear – Series 18 – BBC (Top Gear via YouTube)

Tweets

Comment of the day

Adam Blocker on Ferrari retaining a veto over F1’s technical rules:

I understand that Ferrari have an immense value to the sport. I am okay with them having a minor stake in F1. However they should not be allowed a veto. They are a team competing just as the other ten teams are. They should be treated the same as everyone else when it comes to competition rules. Either everyone gets a veto or nobody gets a veto.
Adam Blocker (@Blockwall2)

From the forum

Happy birthday!

Happy birthday to JT19!

On this day in F1

Ayrton Senna made his McLaren debut 25 years ago today in his home race at Jacarepagua in Brazil.

Senna took pole position but had to abandon his car following a gearbox problem. He had to switch to the spare car and start from the pits.

Despite that he had climbed to second place by lap 20, only to be disqualified for his change of cars. Team mate Alain Prost won, beginning a season of dominance by the pair.

Image ?? Red Bull/Getty

144 comments on Webber & Raikkonen 2014 “candidates” – Mateschitz

1. diehardfanatic (@diehardfanatic) said on 3rd April 2013, 7:46

This would be a great move for Kimi! It would be a great opportunity for him to win the title again.. Many say Vettel is faster than Kimi? Then let’s see if they are in the same car. I bet Kimi would be quicker.

2. Klaas (@klaas) said on 3rd April 2013, 8:00

Jenson is talking about his chances for 2014, right?

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 3rd April 2013, 8:15

Don’t forget, he was running as high as fifth place when he ran into trouble in Malaysia. So for all its faults, the MP4-28 clearly isn’t as bad as first thought. With McLaren pushing hard on the car development and the other teams wrestling with their own problems for the time being, there’s no reason why Button can’t get back in the fight.

• Klaas (@klaas) said on 3rd April 2013, 8:34

@prisoner-monkeys

he was running as high as fifth place when he ran into trouble in Malaysia

Yeah, taking into consideration that the 2 FI and Alonso were out, make that 8th place. Maybe McLaren can catch up with the car development but unfortunately for them they can’t develop Jenson. Last year he had a much better car and couldn’t do anything with it. Given that 3 teams RedBull, Ferrari, Mercedes are also pushing like hell in the development race, Jenson’s chances are almost 0.
        On a less serious note: Button’s fans don’t have the right to think that their favourite driver can perform miracles.

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 3rd April 2013, 8:47

@klaas, I think @prisoner-monkeys is right, as you yourself have shown in your post, there’s a lot that can happen, and McLaren do seem to be on a road to improvement. If they can keep that up, and we see one race’s winner/podium contender struggling for points or failing to score in the next race, that means its so much easier to catch up even after a weak start of the year.

Button himself mentions 2009 when they had a run with it until mid season, but almost lost the title. Alonso was in the mix last year right till the end even when Ferrari had a car as bad as the McLaren is at the start of the year. And mid season Vettel was hardly in the driving seat for the championship battle even last year.

• Klaas (@klaas) said on 3rd April 2013, 10:24

@bascb Button is not Alonso. While the latter is famous for his consistency, Button’s brilliant performaces have been only episodic. The main problem with Jenson is that even if he’s given a winning car he still finds a way to struggle with it. Just look at last year.
            Even if each of his rivals fail to finish a race or two, he could well have his share of DNFs too.
            Maybe he meant to say that anything is possible in F1 and he wants to lift his fans’ spirit but I don’t think he actually believes in what he’s saying. The competition is simply too strong for him to succeed even if McLaren gets the car right.
            Anyways this is all speculations and only time will show but I can bet my house, my cows and my car that I’m not going to be proved wrong.

• Slr (@slr) said on 3rd April 2013, 10:37

@klaas I agree, Button hasn’t shown he’s capable of achieving great results when his car doesn’t suit him and he isn’t consistent enough.

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 3rd April 2013, 12:18

@klaas, @Slr, lets wait and see. Is Alonso that great? He’s been narrowly missing out on championships more often than Kimi, Hamilton and Massa combined!

Seriously its very hard to tell up front, after all not many people would have expected Button to even win that WDC, but he did. And then he was supposed to get killed by Hamilton, but he wasn’t. Instead he has found a way of beating his teammate where his skills made him better able to. Sure, Hamilton is a better qualifier. Alonso is no qualifying king himself either though, but he knows how to do his races in such a way as to beat the others often enough.

I am certainly not saying that I see Button as a sure bet to win the title, but its far to early to count him out. He has shown that he can up his game, and McLaren are known to be good at in season development. Just look back at people saying kimi was clear favourite for the title only one race back, and look at the picture now.

• Klaas (@klaas) said on 3rd April 2013, 12:46

@bascb

Maybe because he was more often in the title fight than the ones mentioned above and it’s not like those guys succeded more than him – the 3 combined have exactly the same number of titles as Alonso do.

He has shown that he can up his game

Yes, in 2-3 races per season (too bad the championship is longer) while his rivals deliver big points almost every race. As I said, he is able to perform very good but not on a consistent basis.

McLaren are known to be good at in season development

Sure, but paradoxally, they ended up 3rd in the WCC last year after starting in Australia with the fastest car. The same slump in the development race we witnessed also in 2010.
            I repeat, anything could happen this season and mathematically he can become champion, but if I was Alonso or Vettel I wouldn’t worry about Button being a contender.

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 3rd April 2013, 12:51

but if I was Alonso or Vettel I wouldn’t worry about Button being a contender.

I guess that is why its Alonso and Vettel being the WDCs and not you @klaas, they will certainly keep an eye on him/the team, if only because they know he could take points away both from them and from their rivals.

• Klaas (@klaas) said on 3rd April 2013, 12:56

@bascb It really irrelevant to the topic discussed but if you brought it up:
            Kimi missed out the WDC in 2003 – 1 time
            Hamilton in 2007, 2010 (he was still in contention in the last race) – 2 times
            Massa in 2008 – 1 time
            Summed up – 4 times
            Alonso missed out in 2007, 2010, 2012 – 3 times. Since 4 is more than 3 your statement is mathematically incorect.
            Sorry if I sound like Sheldon Cooper :)

• Klaas (@klaas) said on 3rd April 2013, 13:05

@bascb
            Keeping an eye on a rival stealing a few points in 2-3 races and considering him the one who can actually grab the title is 2 different things.
            P.S You don’t need to get personal when stating your views over the matter.

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 3rd April 2013, 13:07

Ah, thanks for the research then @klaas, I stand corrected, but I see you clearly did understand my point.

• Jon Sandor (@jonsan) said on 3rd April 2013, 15:22

This years Mclaren is much, much worse than the Ferrari was at this point last year. At both Australia and Malaysia Buttons best qualifying time was more than three seconds off the leader. Contrast that with Alonso last year in the same GP’s. And of course there is also the respective finishing positions ….

• Michael Brown (@) said on 3rd April 2013, 20:21

@Bascb Michael Schumacher also narrowly missed out on championships as well. Many of the all time greats were known for fighting for the championship many times, like Prost.

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 3rd April 2013, 22:11

@lite992 I know, I don’t have any problems with missing out on a championship several times. I was trying to show that maybe Alonso is not the half-god he was made out to be there, but just a very good and clever driver in his prime.

3. wwww said on 3rd April 2013, 8:20

Raikkonen willl beat Vettel day and night. Wet or Dry. Marko or nicht Marko.

4. Deepak (@ideepak) said on 3rd April 2013, 8:21

I hope Webber decides to call it quits, simply a ruthless driver like Raikkonen can show Vettel his place in F1. Mark Webber is no softy but I’ve always felt he is one to toe the line, while Kimi is well – Kimi.

Also why is Dietrich being referred to as the owner of Red Bull, I believe his Thai partners also have a good share in the company as well as the team. Ever wonder why we keeping seeing oriental faces at the Red Bull garage ?

5. Jay Menon (@jaymenon10) said on 3rd April 2013, 8:22

If Webber feels marginalized at RBR, then he should leave. Is he marginalized? Yes. Will he leave? No.

As much as we all love Webber and his twitter hash tag, he isnt in the same league as Vettel when it comes to consistency over the course of the season. Yes he is quick, on in flashes. Somebody in a Red Bull should not have anonymous weekend, apart from the few offs on may have. The fact is, he finds himself in one of the coveted seats in F1, in a car that qualifies on the front row 9/10 times and normally has the legs to win most of them. Even if he isnt first choice in the team, he knows that staying at RBR is his best chance to win races and finish on the podium. How many drivers pushing 37 can say that?

If he does leave RBR, will he get a drive in another top team?

6. sumedh said on 3rd April 2013, 8:23

Not sure if Kimi at Red Bull would work. From Eric’s interviews it feels like Lotus has to adjust a lot to Kimi and he is quite a different personality than other drivers.

Not sure if Christian or Red Bull will be that accommodating of Kimi. As the recent Malaysian GP has shown, Red Bull firmly thinks that drivers are nothing but employees who are to obey their bosses all the time.

But on the plus side, it will silence Vettel haters if Vettel does get an upper hand and maintains it throughout the season.

7. WilliamB (@william-brierty) said on 3rd April 2013, 8:31

Although Raikkonen and Vettel would be perhaps the most exciting driver line-up since 1988, its not going to happen. Here’s why…
    1. Raikkonen won’t be interested. He’s comfortable and has probably signed for the final team of his career. Red Bull is currently globally accepted as the pinnacle of the pinnacle of motorsport, and the means a lot of PR. There’s no way Raikkonen would even allow himself to be tricked into going into the same room as a Red Bull contract.
    2. Vettel will be plugging his resources to make sure that this doesn’t happen. As he’s just shown, he doesn’t like being beaten by his teammate, and if Raikkonen was his teammate, I would wager there is a greater than 60% chance of that happening.
    3. Marko is clearly posturing by suggesting that the Red Bull can tempt one of the grid’s finest drivers from a team that make the most of him and from an environment where he is comfortable. In reality, its about as likely as Alonso going to Red Bull in 2014; it ain’t gonna happen. Ricciardo has shown he has real talent, he will replace Webber at the end of the season, of that I am sure.

8. Bio said on 3rd April 2013, 9:00

No way Kimi ‘ll go to RB as a N° 2 driver. I see him driving fo RB only if Vettel leaves for Ferrari.

9. andae23 (@andae23) said on 3rd April 2013, 9:03

Reply to Fernley’s opinion on F1 engines: I think what he implies is that he wants equal chances for all teams – engine shouldn’t be deciding factor. In much the same way, the FIA are narrowing down the design freedom for aerodynamicists with each passing season, making it harder for the teams to really come up with a dominant design. The teams themselves are also partly responsible for that: the number of staff members Ferrari, McLaren, Red Bull and Mercedes have is ridiculous… no wonder all their cars ‘look the same’.

Paired with this is a massive improvement in the quality of racing: cars are more equal, which results in close racing. But just take a step back – is that what we really want? I for one love to just look at the cars and appreciate the team’s and designers’ hard work, as well as looking at how different teams solve the same problems differently. I feel like this is gradually becoming more a thing of the past, as people just want to see cars side-by-side really fast and that’s it. I know that the majority of F1 fans just doesn’t care, but if the cars becoming pretty much identical I do not find it as entertaining to watch, which is one of the reasons I don’t really enjoy Indycar.

Right grumpy cat, what do you want? The problem with the engine suppliers and teams is that they have way to many employees. Therefore the engine designs and car designs have all gone through many testing phases, like wind tunnel tests or simulators. And if they notice a problem, they can solve it quickly. One of the nicest things about F1 in say 1960-1980 is that all teams just did something and they would see if it worked or not when the car goes out on track for the first time. It’s something that today is revived in student racing series, where they just think really hard, try to solve problems creatively and see where they end up – and it’s just glorious to watch and admire their designs. I hope this aspect will get a boost in F1 in the near future (budget caps!!).

10. Proesterchen (@proesterchen) said on 3rd April 2013, 9:29

Looks like Mr DiResta fancies himself a carrier as a stand-up comic.

11. Howard (@howard) said on 3rd April 2013, 10:46

The way i see it is Red Bull telling Mark to decide if your staying with us next year sooner than later.

12. BasCB (@bascb) said on 3rd April 2013, 13:26

Normally I don’t find planetf1 all that reliable and great for news, but here the writer of this piece has given himself a solid base for a bit of perspective on “poor Webber”

13. Michael Brown (@) said on 3rd April 2013, 16:49

I think it will end up with them taking points off each other, which the team wouldn’t want for Vettel.

14. I wouldn’t be hugely surprised if Mark Webber retires at the end of this season, he has little chance of beating Vettel and I can imagine that’s very frustrating.

I can’t see him moving to another team seeing as no one else currently looks like they may retire.

Raikkonen is a more accomplished racing driver in my opinion, he could be a real match for Vettel.

Hopefully this gossip turns out to be true.

15. I read the “veto article” If Ferrari has a veto since 2005 why haven’t we seen decisions being made all in favour of Ferrari, regardless of the written rules we have accessed, I don’t believe that Ferrari has taken anything from other teams in terms of race results, even if they have a better stake money wise.