Brawn: Team orders ‘against my sporting nature’

F1 Fanatic round-up

Nico Rosberg, Mercedes, Sepang, 2013In the round-up: Mercedes team principal Ross Brawn admits he didn’t enjoy enforcing team orders during the Malaysian Grand Prix.

Links

Your daily digest of F1 news, views, features and more.

Brawn says team orders went against his nature (Reuters)

“I didn’t like having to give the orders I gave in Malaysia, it’s not in my sporting nature and I think the team have demonstrated many times in the past that we are very happy to let our drivers race each other.”

Jules Bianchi Q&A (Sky)

“Do you have any personal goals in 2013?
JB: ‘First of all I will try to finish every race – I know it will be something really difficult, so I will focus on that and try to gain more experience by finishing every race I can.’”

What it means to run Ferrari (Autosport, subscription required)

Stefano Domenicali: “Remember we started last year 1.6s behind and by July we had the best car. But it’s normal that you cannot keep that gradient of development. So the objective of this year is, for sure, to try to be more competitive.”

No doubting there will be a right time for wrong-time Webber (The Age)

“Red Bull has confirmed Vettel had more horsepower than his teammate in Malaysia after the technicians asked for the engines to be turned down on both cars. ‘[Sebastian Vettel's] engine was turned down, but not as much as Mark’s due to differing strategies and tyre wear,’ said a spokesperson.”

How did McLaren lose a Grand Prix by finishing first? (McLaren)

“At the same time Barrichello overtook Coulthard to retake the lead, and I well remember the thunderous cheer that immediately went up from the grandstands all around Interlagos, audible even above two competing noise sources: the fever-pitched wail of the high-revving 3.0-litre V10 engines in the 11 cars that still remained running by that point, and the rat-tat-tatting of the rain on the press room roof (or what remained of it, because the leak had now developed into a bloody great hole). Indeed, I remember blinking at the surreal sight of hapless hacks stoically hammering away at their laptops even as rainwater lapped at their ankles.”

Tweets

Comment of the day

@Lavine on the loss of FanVision:

Is the F1 app really all we are getting to replace this? I?m heading to Monza in September and hope to use a tablet on 3G to provide information.

Is there anything other than the F1 app worth investing in? If there?s nothing else then I might as well just pay the subscription for the F1 app now and get some decent use out of it instead of just subscribing for Monza in September.
@Lavine

From the forum

Happy birthday!

Happy birthday to MacLeod and Josie Maunders!

On this day in F1

Jim Clark died 45 years ago today. The two-times world champion was competing in a Formula Two race at the Hockenheimring when his Lotus veered off the road and struck a tree.

135 comments on Brawn: Team orders ‘against my sporting nature’

1. WilliamB (@william-brierty) said on 7th April 2013, 11:23

EMERGENCY!!!! Does anyone know where I can watch Race 2 of FR3.5???????? It’s not on Eurosport!!!!! Help!!!!!!

On a calmer note, Stoffel Vandoorne was epic yesterday. However I can’t help but think that had he more pressure from the short-lived “da Costa charge”, Vandoorne’s flat-spot would’ve cost him the race. Had da Costa not had a puncture yesterday, da Costa would’ve won, of that there is no question, but that still doesn’t detract from this immense talent that have seemingly lept into everyone’s attention.

2. Maksutov (@maksutov) said on 7th April 2013, 11:27

Which could have been a part of the plan.

3. Maksutov (@maksutov) said on 7th April 2013, 11:30

So why give the order ?

• chaostheory said on 7th April 2013, 16:33

Thats a good question. Only thing I can think of is Hamilton contract or just simply the fact that it was Malaysia (Petronas), Hamilton is a bigger name and a podium was at stake. For me it was really painfull to watch Rosberg struggling behind Hamilton, not allowed to pass.
      With such help from the pitlane, Hamilton will surely outrace Rosberg this year :/

• Robbie (@robbie) said on 8th April 2013, 15:07

I’ve been taking the glass-half-full attitude on this. I’d like to think they simply did not want to punish LH for a strategy that the whole team decided upon, that didn’t quite work out as well as NR’s. LH qualified higher, and stayed ahead of NR through the first two thirds of the race in spite of NR always reeling him in after their pits, and also, as the newby on the team maybe they wanted to throw LH a bone. I simply refuse to believe, and everything about this says to me, that this was not a team order that now means LH is the number one on the team. This is a team that is not likely expecting they are going to win the WCC or WDC this year, and their main goal will be to be better than last year, such as to finish in a strong 4th in the WCC, and if they’re really lucky, a weak 3rd, so I really doubt the team order means much in the grand scheme of things. Their main goal will be to progress the team toward the top 3, and to squelch one driver psychologically, the more engrained one, that obviously has no pace issues, after race 2, when they likely won’t either of them be fighting for the WDC, would make absolutely no sense.

4. Dafffid (@dafffid) said on 7th April 2013, 18:42

That’s got to be the most ridiculous account of that Brazilian GP I’ve ever read. Kimi and Fisi were due to stop again too, by taking the earlier stop DC was a cert for the win until it was red flagged. Talk about revisionist history.

• foleyger (@foleyger) said on 7th April 2013, 21:50

Fischella would definetely not have finished without another pitstop as stated in Eddie Jordan’s autobiography. Kimi surely needed a pitstop as well. was some race

5. Joe Papp (@joepa) said on 7th April 2013, 19:44

Ross Brawn is a great leader and a fine T.P. under whom I’ve no doubt it would be a joy to compete, for the right-minded driver.

• Palle (@palle) said on 8th April 2013, 19:59

@joepa: For the driver being designated with the lowest number in the team pecking order, You are absolutely right. The other driver must keep fighting his mixed feelings about weather he would be able to make the cut in another team and become the lead driver there, or stay where he is and subdue to the conditions, hoping for a miracle a la Schumi breaking a leg.

• Joe Papp (@joepa) said on 9th April 2013, 0:26

@palle – I actually don’t think it’s that hard for a driver w/ the right mindset to accept team orders, and become a #2 if necessary. Just look at how well Massa adapted to that role, and how he’s finding some prestige again, even as he labors loyally for Alonso. When a sportsman is paid handsomely for his services, he has a responsibility to his team/employer that trumps Ego, b/c it’s the team/employer that fattens the bank account and guarantees his family’s future. Why throw all that away on a petulant whim? I wouldn’t. Cheers!

• Palle (@palle) said on 9th April 2013, 9:37

Trust me, it is very hard for them. The large pay becomes a habit and it is not because of the money that they do it. To reach that level You have to love what You do, the motivation doesn’t come from the money – just ask any successful entrepreneur – the money is a nice side effect of working dedicated at a high level.
          And You’re not right about Massa – he has had massive problems of going from being a WDC for a few seconds to become a new Barrichello. His lack of results was a result of a kind of depression after his accident. It is a known fact that it takes years to get over a depression. It seems he has recovered by now, and probably he has accepted his role, but for that to take 3 years – I wouldn’t call that easy. I’m shaking my head over Ferraris patience with him, but good to see him back, except it will be better for Alonso.

6. Nikos (@azwris) said on 10th April 2013, 20:47

I can’t believe this, look who’s talking. Mr. Brawn was the master of fraud during his Ferrari and Brawn years. Shut your mouth Ross and stay behind now, you deserve this.

7. Palle (@palle) said on 11th April 2013, 16:03

@stg-pepper: You said: “It saddens me that drivers like Webber now appears abit of a Dinosaur compared to this new cutthroat, Schumacher type attitude that’s been brought in. The era of gentleman racers seems truly dead.”
    Welcome to the real world – If You haven’t realised it yet, then I can inform You that Webber certainly isn’t that type of Dinosaur gentleman racer either. His previous actions has clearly stated that he is just as selfish as anyone on the grid. The true competitive racer wants to win at all cost and more than once he steps out of line to investigate precisely how the rules are and if some rules are bendable. If they don’t have these abilities they don’t belong in F1. The Gentleman racer is just a nostalgic whim – maybe he never existed? The Schumacher type was there before Schumacher – Senna and Prost wasn’t Gentlemen racers either.