Vettel: “I don’t apologise for winning” in Malaysia

2013 Malaysian Grand Prix

Sebastian Vettel, Red Bull, Sepang, 2013Sebastian Vettel said he does not apologise for winning the Malaysian Grand Prix after disobeying orders to finish behind Mark Webber.

“I think there is not much to add than what happened,” said Vettel in a video interview ahead of the Chinese Grand Prix.

“I told the team straight after I apologised for putting myself above the team, which I didn’t mean to do. But there is not much more to say really.

“I don’t apologise for winning, I think that is why people employed me in the first place and why I’m here. I love racing so that’s what I did.”

In the immediate aftermath of the race Vettel said “it?s not a victory I?m very proud of because it should have been Mark’s“.

Vettel said the row over what happened in the final laps overshadowed a strong performance by Red Bull: “I think unfortunately people didn’t see that we performed well on the day – as a team I think we did a very good job.”

“We got a fantastic result and I think we’d had a very strong weekend in Australia already, even if we didn’t get quite the result we wanted.

“But in Malaysia we were surprised again to be at the top and racing at the top and the whole race we worked excellently well with the tyres etc… I think that’s what people forgot and I think what stuck to their heads was the way the race ended.”

2013 Malaysian Grand Prix

Browse all 2013 Malaysian Grand Prix articles

Image ?? Red Bull/Getty

180 comments on Vettel: “I don’t apologise for winning” in Malaysia

1. gzegzolek (@gzegzolek) said on 10th April 2013, 18:06

Vettel was right that he was fighting for first place with Webber.
    But why he is apologise if he thinks he did that he should as a race driver.

Second case.
    He diobeyed team instructions but in the midle of the race HE EXCPETED AND WANTED team orders for Webber. He wanted from the team to move Webber away.

• mnmracer (@mnmracer) said on 10th April 2013, 20:09

Putting aside what actually happened halfway through the race, why would being denied a team order be a reason to listen to them? As a driver, if you are not given a team order, why would the other driver deserve it?

2. WarfieldF1 (@warfieldf1) said on 10th April 2013, 18:17

Despite wanting “racing” all the way; surely whatever sort of pre race agreement communicated by the team boss should be respected, be it “if you are leading after the last scheduled pit stop then your team mate will not overtake” or “if you are leading with 10/15 or 20 laps to go your team mate will not overtake” .
    Failure of RB drivers to folow team orders probably points to Horners weak position within a team that he is clearly not the BOSS of.
    Mercedes on the other hand had a lot to loose, (on the basis of last years progress they need to maximise early season points if they are available) and had been fighting hard with each other so some sort of team order seemed understandable to prevent a mishap; although whether the correct team order was given is probably open for debate

3. vishy (@vishy) said on 10th April 2013, 18:17

I think things were not clear and Vettel took advantage of it because he thought he could get away with it. In fact he did away get away with it and 25 points. Given those circumstances Vettel should not have gone for the win as I believe that it will be very detrimental to his title chances this year.

Do I want team orders so Mark can win? No I don’t. But I sure hope he beats Vettel this season.

The only reason I can think of that Marko says no team orders is because he thinks Vettel can so comprehensively beat Webber. We might see a different Webber starting now, either totally beaten or dominating. Either way we are in for a cracker of season. I hope Mercedes also gives up team orders completely.

• Roberto (@roberto) said on 11th April 2013, 6:42

What you’re suggesting (that Webber will be incredibly focused to beat Vettel) has been the case for the last 3 seasons! Nothing has changed between these drivers since the last race and Vettel knew that before and after his move. He knew he doesn’t have Marks support anyway (as proven multiple times previously).

Webber was trying everything in his power to beat Vettel and always came up short, even in 2010 when it was all in his hands in Abu Dhabi. He fluffed a WDC himself that day and could hardly blame Vettel or the team after that.

What makes you think this is going to change all of a sudden?

4. brny666 said on 10th April 2013, 18:26

So basically he is saying he’s sorry that he had to defy and upset team orders in order to win, but not sorry to win. I think his comment is fair and that’s what he should have said right after the race in 3 weeks ago.

5. Kingshark (@kingshark) said on 10th April 2013, 18:58

Didn’t he apologize right after the race? Nice way to try to change your mind. I wonder if he reads these message boards and was hurt by the backlash, perhaps?

6. Owen Conwell (@skitty4lb) said on 10th April 2013, 19:05

I have mixed feelings about this whole situation. Webber was at a disadvantage at the time because he had his revs down and was not expecting a charge from Vettel (from what I understand). But racers are racers and should be allowed to do just that. If Vettel was faster overall he should have been allowed to pass Webber if he could. I believe given the circumstances, he should have obeyed the team, but I also think that Infinity Red Bull Racing should be the ‘Bad Guy’ in this situation, not Vettel. To protect your driver from an attack from his teammate is like giving them an undeserved victory. Winning a race also means beating your teammate and if you can’t do that, you don’t deserve to win. I just wish Red Bull would have given us a legitimate race, because had Webber know the entire race that there were no team orders, he would have race more aggressively and not been on the back foot when Vettel chased him down. Again, Red Bull should shoulder any blame being thrown around here.

• Webber was at a disadvantage at the time because he had his revs down and was not expecting a charge from Vettel

None of that is actually true. It makes such a nice story that I can see why people are reluctant to give it up though.

7. TonyRomas said on 10th April 2013, 19:11

This site should be renamed vettelfanatic.co.uk. Since when did Keith become such a Vettel fan that he injects
    Vettel-positive statements in all of his posts?

Just one example of how Keith tries to skew perspective: Christian Horner mentioned that Vettel’s engine was on more power than Webber, but Keith only reported this news a few days later, and only included it as part of the daily round up and not even as the main story of that round up, even though this was important news. And in his daring fanboy-like defence of Vettel actually missed this point completely.

I used to respect Keith for his total impartialness and professional journalism but I realised even he falls to being favourable to some drivers over some.

I’m leaving this site, for good.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 10th April 2013, 23:34

injects Vettel-positive statements in all of his posts

Can you point to where that has been done in this article?

The quote you’re referring to came from an interview Horner gave to Sky and was run in an article on March 29th, five days after the race.

I think some other sites used the quotes several days later. It’s hardly surprising they would want to use a different headline to try to make them look like something other than old news, or to disguise the fact that they’d taken quotes from someone else without crediting them.

• Roberto (@roberto) said on 11th April 2013, 5:20

I’m leaving this site, for good.

Glad to hear it, now go enjoy ‘The Sun’ and other ‘impartial and professional journalism’ sites…

• Roberto (@roberto) said on 11th April 2013, 5:23

I mean how DARE Keith not join in on the most deserved bashing of this DIRTY and disgusting driver.. shame on you KEITH!

8. Matt_D said on 10th April 2013, 19:17

Eric Boullier will not expect you to apologise for passing a teammate.

Hint-Hint

9. mnmracer (@mnmracer) said on 10th April 2013, 20:12

A young man growing up :)
    Now next time stand by your choice straight from the car, and you’ll be a real man.

10. Jason (@jason12) said on 10th April 2013, 20:25

This guy is just DEVIOUS, DISHONEST and INSENSITIVE.
    He’s neither here nor there, hence all these conflicting statements.

• David-A (@david-a) said on 11th April 2013, 1:39

@jason12

This guy is just DEVIOUS, DISHONEST and INSENSITIVE.

It’s so dishonest and devious to race someone who has come out of the pits near you, isn’t it?
      And insensitive? Maybe the tyres are sensitive, but no-one watches motor racing for sensitive people.

• vishy (@vishy) said on 11th April 2013, 2:07

Two more “ARROGANT” “DISRESPECTFUL”. Maybe you can give another Tyring explanation.

• David-A (@david-a) said on 11th April 2013, 2:24

@vishy

Yes, it is so “arrogant” and “disrespectful” to race until the end, against someone who had no issue doing so the other way round back in 2011. If anything, Red Bull should show some respect to the oldest man on the grid, and a world champion, by trusting them to race in the second race of a season without telling them that it is “silly” to do so.

• vishy (@vishy) said on 12th April 2013, 17:12

@Dizzy-A

I want them race too and not just be managed.

But this is not the first time Vettle has shown he is an arrogant spoilt kid. Calling names and making rude remarks to other drivers during and immediately after a race is something he does consistently. You need to remove your rose-tinted glasses and see things for what they are.

He is a great racer, probably the best in the current grid (along with Alonso) but he is also a kid and acts like one. Needs to grow-up.

11. caci99 (@caci99) said on 10th April 2013, 20:37

I love racing so that’s what I did

Get Mark out of the way

These two quotes go so well hand in hand with each other :)

12. I see Red Bull have now announced that they will have no team orders going forward.

I can’t see this making any real difference – neither of their drivers paid too much attention to team orders anyway.

The manner in which RB employed team orders in Malaysia, attempting to micro-manage the race from nearly start to finish, was a black eye for both Red Bull and F1. I think team orders do have a place in F1, but trying to keep one driver behind another for the last 30 laps (thirty laps!) of the second race of the season on a dry track is just way out of order.

• Roberto (@roberto) said on 11th April 2013, 6:13

If anything, Vettels actions brought this problem to light and everyone should thank him for him.. but as the poster above me said.. who needs reasons to like Vettel when bashing him is SO much more fun..

13. Jabosha (@jabosha) said on 10th April 2013, 21:51

In my opinion there shouldn’t have been team orders in the second race of the season. That being said, both Vettel and Roberg should have stayed put and then grumbled to the team internally.

• Roberto (@roberto) said on 11th April 2013, 6:16

Yes, so that this issue stays hidden and we can continue to fall asleep during the last stage of a race when team-mates have a chance to make it more exciting..

14. Come on why on earth should he be sorry? In Malaysia Vettel managed:

1) The victory
    2) The points lead both in Redbull and Drivers championship
    3) The humiliation of his teammate
    4) A new found personality, that of a Rebel who ignores authorities – something only real racers would do “Senna or Schumacher would have done the same” people say
    5) And finally he tested the patience of the Redbull executives only to reconfirm the common knowledge that no matter what he does he gets away with it.

See? Champion-deciders excluded could have any driver anywhere achieve so much in a single race?

15. He thought to himself “if Mark wants to hit me Helmut the surrogat dad will protect me”

• Jason (@jason12) said on 11th April 2013, 9:41

Agreed!
      Only knowing you have that sort of protection enable you to:
      ‘I know this wrong but whatever, I’m just gonna go ahead and do it anyway’

16. Chris (@tophercheese21) said on 11th April 2013, 1:20

Ugh. Is all just a bunch of PR bull faeces.

Vettel’s just saying it to repair his media image. He knows full well what he was doing at the time; taking advantage of Alonso being out of the race.

There is no way in hell that after several radio calls telling him to essentially stop attacking Mark, that he realized n after the race that he did something non-sporting. Riiiiiight. And Kim Kardashian married for love…..

Just stop son. Just stop.

17. Jono (@me262) said on 11th April 2013, 1:44

I dont think I have ever heard Vettel say ‘we’ and ‘team’ as many times in an interview….a new record smashed by Sebastian vettel ? :)

18. Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 11th April 2013, 6:47

That’s not a justification for what he did, and he shouldn’t be applauded for “being a racer” by doing it.

19. spankythewondermonkey (@spankythewondermonkey) said on 11th April 2013, 10:00

might be time for a new poll…..

if you had to go into battle (with guns and bullets and stuff), who would you want as your buddy-in-arms?
    o Mark Webber
    o Sebastian Vettel

be interesting as your choice would clearly be based on your perception of their relevant characters and how much you could trust them to cover your butt…..

• spankythewondermonkey (@spankythewondermonkey) said on 11th April 2013, 10:02

me, the aussie, every time!!!

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 11th April 2013, 10:13

@spankythewondermonkey I’m going to have to report you to the analogy police I’m afraid :-)

If you’re in a battle, you and your fellow soliders are all fighting for the same thing. Mark Webber and Sebastian Vettel are not fighting for the same thing.

Mark Webber is racing to win the world championship which means beating Sebastian Vettel. And Sebastian Vettel is racing to win the world championship which means beating Mark Webber.

This is where we see how the “F1 is a team sport” line, which has been chirruped incessantly by some people over the past two-and-a-half weeks, is simplistic and flawed. Yes there is a team endeavour, but there is also an individual endeavour, and this controversy strikes at the heart of that.

• spankythewondermonkey (@spankythewondermonkey) said on 11th April 2013, 10:40

ahhh, but this is not an analogy based on malaysia, this is a simple question about which of the 2 you’d like to be your wingman when your life could depend on it ;-)

20. Force Maikel (@force-maikel) said on 11th April 2013, 10:11

I’m just stunned by some of the comments here made even by some of the people I have come to respect. Was Vettel right to disobey team orders? Yes, definitely if it is only about the matter of team orders he was absolutely right to disobey them because I HATE them. But what most people seem to be forgetting in their assessment is that both drivers made an agreement with one another and the team before the race. Now what Sebastian has done is something I cannot support; an a agreement needs to be honored no matter what. The fact that he now is retracting his apology makes it even more worse for me now. And still after all of this believe Vettel has become one of the greatest drivers of his time but I will certainly not be cheering him on anytime soon in this decennium or the next!