Vettel: “I don’t apologise for winning” in Malaysia

2013 Malaysian Grand Prix

Sebastian Vettel, Red Bull, Sepang, 2013Sebastian Vettel said he does not apologise for winning the Malaysian Grand Prix after disobeying orders to finish behind Mark Webber.

“I think there is not much to add than what happened,” said Vettel in a video interview ahead of the Chinese Grand Prix.

“I told the team straight after I apologised for putting myself above the team, which I didn’t mean to do. But there is not much more to say really.

“I don’t apologise for winning, I think that is why people employed me in the first place and why I’m here. I love racing so that’s what I did.”

In the immediate aftermath of the race Vettel said “it?s not a victory I?m very proud of because it should have been Mark’s“.

Vettel said the row over what happened in the final laps overshadowed a strong performance by Red Bull: “I think unfortunately people didn’t see that we performed well on the day – as a team I think we did a very good job.”

“We got a fantastic result and I think we’d had a very strong weekend in Australia already, even if we didn’t get quite the result we wanted.

“But in Malaysia we were surprised again to be at the top and racing at the top and the whole race we worked excellently well with the tyres etc… I think that’s what people forgot and I think what stuck to their heads was the way the race ended.”

2013 Malaysian Grand Prix

Browse all 2013 Malaysian Grand Prix articles

Image ?? Red Bull/Getty

180 comments on Vettel: “I don’t apologise for winning” in Malaysia

1. caci99 (@caci99) said on 10th April 2013, 20:37

I love racing so that’s what I did

Get Mark out of the way

These two quotes go so well hand in hand with each other :)

2. I see Red Bull have now announced that they will have no team orders going forward.

I can’t see this making any real difference – neither of their drivers paid too much attention to team orders anyway.

The manner in which RB employed team orders in Malaysia, attempting to micro-manage the race from nearly start to finish, was a black eye for both Red Bull and F1. I think team orders do have a place in F1, but trying to keep one driver behind another for the last 30 laps (thirty laps!) of the second race of the season on a dry track is just way out of order.

• Roberto (@roberto) said on 11th April 2013, 6:13

If anything, Vettels actions brought this problem to light and everyone should thank him for him.. but as the poster above me said.. who needs reasons to like Vettel when bashing him is SO much more fun..

3. Jabosha (@jabosha) said on 10th April 2013, 21:51

In my opinion there shouldn’t have been team orders in the second race of the season. That being said, both Vettel and Roberg should have stayed put and then grumbled to the team internally.

• Roberto (@roberto) said on 11th April 2013, 6:16

Yes, so that this issue stays hidden and we can continue to fall asleep during the last stage of a race when team-mates have a chance to make it more exciting..

4. Come on why on earth should he be sorry? In Malaysia Vettel managed:

1) The victory
    2) The points lead both in Redbull and Drivers championship
    3) The humiliation of his teammate
    4) A new found personality, that of a Rebel who ignores authorities – something only real racers would do “Senna or Schumacher would have done the same” people say
    5) And finally he tested the patience of the Redbull executives only to reconfirm the common knowledge that no matter what he does he gets away with it.

See? Champion-deciders excluded could have any driver anywhere achieve so much in a single race?

5. He thought to himself “if Mark wants to hit me Helmut the surrogat dad will protect me”

• Jason (@jason12) said on 11th April 2013, 9:41

Agreed!
      Only knowing you have that sort of protection enable you to:
      ‘I know this wrong but whatever, I’m just gonna go ahead and do it anyway’

6. Chris (@tophercheese21) said on 11th April 2013, 1:20

Ugh. Is all just a bunch of PR bull faeces.

Vettel’s just saying it to repair his media image. He knows full well what he was doing at the time; taking advantage of Alonso being out of the race.

There is no way in hell that after several radio calls telling him to essentially stop attacking Mark, that he realized n after the race that he did something non-sporting. Riiiiiight. And Kim Kardashian married for love…..

Just stop son. Just stop.

7. Jono (@me262) said on 11th April 2013, 1:44

I dont think I have ever heard Vettel say ‘we’ and ‘team’ as many times in an interview….a new record smashed by Sebastian vettel ? :)

8. Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 11th April 2013, 6:47

That’s not a justification for what he did, and he shouldn’t be applauded for “being a racer” by doing it.

9. spankythewondermonkey (@spankythewondermonkey) said on 11th April 2013, 10:00

might be time for a new poll…..

if you had to go into battle (with guns and bullets and stuff), who would you want as your buddy-in-arms?
    o Mark Webber
    o Sebastian Vettel

be interesting as your choice would clearly be based on your perception of their relevant characters and how much you could trust them to cover your butt…..

• spankythewondermonkey (@spankythewondermonkey) said on 11th April 2013, 10:02

me, the aussie, every time!!!

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 11th April 2013, 10:13

@spankythewondermonkey I’m going to have to report you to the analogy police I’m afraid :-)

If you’re in a battle, you and your fellow soliders are all fighting for the same thing. Mark Webber and Sebastian Vettel are not fighting for the same thing.

Mark Webber is racing to win the world championship which means beating Sebastian Vettel. And Sebastian Vettel is racing to win the world championship which means beating Mark Webber.

This is where we see how the “F1 is a team sport” line, which has been chirruped incessantly by some people over the past two-and-a-half weeks, is simplistic and flawed. Yes there is a team endeavour, but there is also an individual endeavour, and this controversy strikes at the heart of that.

• spankythewondermonkey (@spankythewondermonkey) said on 11th April 2013, 10:40

ahhh, but this is not an analogy based on malaysia, this is a simple question about which of the 2 you’d like to be your wingman when your life could depend on it ;-)

10. Force Maikel (@force-maikel) said on 11th April 2013, 10:11

I’m just stunned by some of the comments here made even by some of the people I have come to respect. Was Vettel right to disobey team orders? Yes, definitely if it is only about the matter of team orders he was absolutely right to disobey them because I HATE them. But what most people seem to be forgetting in their assessment is that both drivers made an agreement with one another and the team before the race. Now what Sebastian has done is something I cannot support; an a agreement needs to be honored no matter what. The fact that he now is retracting his apology makes it even more worse for me now. And still after all of this believe Vettel has become one of the greatest drivers of his time but I will certainly not be cheering him on anytime soon in this decennium or the next!

11. Cyclops_PL (@cyclops_pl) said on 11th April 2013, 10:56

“Vettel told reporters including AUTOSPORT in China on Thursday that Webber had not assisted him in the past and was not entitled to the Sepang win.”

So the “true racer” Vettel is now also the judge who decides who is and who is not entitled to win a race? Very sportsman-like indeed. Thumbs up Seb, you’re doing just fine.

12. svianna (@svianna) said on 11th April 2013, 12:09

Sparks will fly, from here on. H. Marko already said earlier this week that no team orders will be given in the future. That is just a preemptive hypocritical comment since they know none of the two drivers will obey team orders, from here, on. I will be surprised if MW finishes the season driving for RBR. They will clash and crash and MW will be sacked. Fine by me.

13. Shahryar Ali said on 12th April 2013, 0:06

He felt sorry for what he did but now he wants to take the pressure off and focus on racing. I wouldn’t have done what he did in Malaysia but i’ll do the same what he is doing now.