Red Bull gives up on team orders as Vettel admits he would defy them again

2013 Malaysian Grand Prix

Sebastian Vettel, Red Bull, Shanghai, 2013Christian Horner has confirmed Red Bull will stop using team orders at the end of the race following the row which broke out at the end of the Malaysian Grand Prix.

It came as Sebastian Vettel told reporters he would defy similar instructions again and felt his team mate did not deserve to win the race.

Horner told the BBC the decision was taken by Red Bull owner Dietrich Mateschitz: “I had discussions with Dietrich and we agreed that Red Bull is not a fan of team orders.”

“Therefore we will not impose team orders at the end of a race. However, we expect the drivers to act on the information they have from the team.”

Vettel told reporters he did not immediately understand the order he was given during the race: “Had I understood the message and had I thought about it, reflected on it, thought what the team wanted to do, to leave Mark in first place and me finishing second… I think I would have thought about it and I would probably have done the same thing.”

“He didn’t deserve it,” Vettel continued. “There is quite a conflict, because on the one hand I am the kind of guy who respects team decisions and the other hand, probably Mark is not the one who deserved it at the time.”

“I don’t like to talk ill of other people. It’s not my style. I think I said enough. The bottom line is that I was racing, I was faster, I passed him, I won,” he added.

Vettel said he did not expect it would change how far his team mate went in supporting him because “I never had support from his side.”

“In terms of my relationship with Mark, I respect him a lot as a racing driver but I think there was more than one occasion in the past when he could have helped the team but didn’t.”

Both Red Bull drivers have openly disobeyed team orders in the past: Webber did so at Silverstone in 2011 and there was further friction in Brazil last year when Vettel was campaigning to win the championship title.

Webber said Red Bull choosing not to use team orders would make things “probably easier” in the future.

2013 Malaysian Grand Prix

Browse all 2013 Malaysian Grand Prix articles

Image ?? Red Bull/Getty

282 comments on Red Bull gives up on team orders as Vettel admits he would defy them again

1. MahavirShah (@mahavirshah) said on 11th April 2013, 16:40

To be fair I have more respect for this version of Sebastian than the other. I’d rather he man up. And that is what the public want to see. If this gives us a decent rivalry to follow in the races to come than so be it. It is no less than what we want to witness.

I think more teams should leave it at this. The whole point of getting two good drivers is to have both of them competing to win and not come 2nd. And if this does not spur Mark on to win and compete harder then I should say he needs to reconsider his future.

• Roberto (@roberto) said on 12th April 2013, 6:09

TBH I’d have rather seen Kimi, Hulk or Hamilton in Webbers place this year. All Webber has done is made a massive mess within the team and created a crappy environment to work in. He hasn’t been able to challenge Vettel for the title since 2010 (where he himself fluffed it) and I can’t see him doing it this year either. All that is going to happen is him flouting his “unfair treatment” and then playing second fiddle due to his inability to be consistent and grind out results.

2. nidzovski (@nidzovski) said on 11th April 2013, 16:48

Team orders are wrong, at least at this stage of the WDC, Vettel is faster than Webber. Webber never backed Vettel. The End!

• diehardfanatic (@diehardfanatic) said on 11th April 2013, 17:31

I’ve got to love this drama as this has been going on for weeks. Besides that Vettel driving the faster car, as from the resources that have explained in this forum pointed out that a lot of things crucially happened, and its not just the car. The fuel, the tyres, and the engine modes are one of them, which may resulted to the probability that they both followed orders but due to Vettel’s strategy, gave him the better advantage to finish the race.

Of course I agree with you that Webber never backed him. In the end Vettel was faster and better equipped to finish first. The End!.

LoL

3. olivier (@olivier) said on 11th April 2013, 17:07

The tittle should actually read like this:

Red Bull gives up on team orders as to Vettel as he admits he would defy them again

4. Jonny705 (@jonny705) said on 11th April 2013, 17:47

“on the one hand I am the kind of guy who respects team decisions…”

Made me chuckle.

5. AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 11th April 2013, 18:00

No one ever ‘deserves’ to win, this is a sport, not a charity.

They ought to have to fight for it but also respect their peers and employers. Anyone who believes Webber, or Vettel for that matter ‘deserved’ that win clearly doesn’t get competition.

6. DaveD (@daved) said on 11th April 2013, 18:18

Have you guys seen Webber’s new haircut? He looks like a giant GI Joe doll LOL Maybe he’s going to shave his head totally and take a vow of celibacy until he can once again defeat the evil Seb! :-)

7. Ed Marques (@edmarques) said on 11th April 2013, 18:43

Vettel was brilliant on his comments. People whine about team orders all the time and when onde driver ignores them he is wrong? Haha ludicrous. Vettel is right, and that’s great, now we will see if Mark can do something about it.

• John H (@john-h) said on 12th April 2013, 0:12

People whine about team orders all the time and when one driver ignores them he is wrong?

1. I whine about team orders – I hate them.
      2. But unfortunately we do have them, and so I believe in acting professionally and respecting your team boss if he gives an order.

Does that explain ‘the whining’ for you?

It’s the team bosses that are doing the wrong here.

8. andy.price (@andy-price) said on 11th April 2013, 18:53

I admired Vettel’s skill as a driver and the achievment of winning three titles is quite something. As an individual I always thought he was funny and had time for the media and fans. I was not his greatest fan.
    I’m not sure that Mark Webber has the same skill but he’s a good guy, calls it the way he sees it and has demonstrated plenty of times that he is a team player. He was right to be ****** off in Malaysia.
    The bottom line is everyone is a member of the team and gets paid by the team. He was given an order and it seemed pretty clear to me and we only got a part of it – I don’t believe Vettel misunderstood.
    After the statements that Vettel has made today about doing the same thing again and not respecting team orders – he would not drive for me again, not in China or anywhere else!

• Makana (@makana) said on 11th April 2013, 23:34

Is anyone forgetting that the TEAM could be wrong! What is the team was wrong, or is this a military outfit in which you act then object. Absolutely ridiculous reasoning!!! The team WAS wrong and the soldier defied the order, rightfully so.

• Roberto (@roberto) said on 12th April 2013, 2:15

I’m not sure that Mark Webber has the same skill but he’s a good guy

A good guy would back his teammate in the final race of a Championship deciding season. Webber is a two faced hypocrite IMO..

9. TimmyA (@timmya) said on 11th April 2013, 19:07

hmm I wonder if Red bull will win the constructors champship now that both their drivers aren’t going to listen since they are too much of bunch of wimps to tell both their drivers whose boss. Cause if they wreck each other a couple of times thats points gone or mark webber doesn’t feel like racing his hardest a few times that some more points. Yet another example what if once mark realizes some where in the season he can’t win and starts to just try to sabotage seb. All Thoughts that redbull it seems redbull never thought about when they didn’t punish seb, like lets say docking him 1mil in pay or something stupid to show him that they pay him. Cause I will almost bet anything webber isn’t listening to anything especially if it helps seb.

• mnmracer (@mnmracer) said on 11th April 2013, 19:11

Nothing is going to change, because Mark already wasn’t listening to help Seb.

• what if once mark realizes some where in the season he can’t win and starts to just try to sabotage seb

Like last season, you mean?

Like last season, you mean?

If five laps from the end of the Chinese GP the order is 1) Webber 2) Alonso 3) Vettel, is Webber really going to move over and let Alonso past? Really? I don’t believe that for an instant, but if he did that he’d be replaced by the next race. And short of doing stuff like that it is hard to see how Webber can be any less cooperative a teammate than he was last year.

10. magon4 (@magon4) said on 11th April 2013, 19:58

I don’t know how people can misread this interview as him being an arrogant brat. My goodness! It’s incredible!

• Nothing surprises me anymore…

• John H (@john-h) said on 12th April 2013, 0:17

“…get him out of the way” might have something to do with it. It’s similar to the “this is ridiculous” comments by Alonso.

Vettel is a superb driver, and he’s certainly no arrogant brat… however, I think the above quote highlights why people have taken a dislike to him.

• Roberto (@roberto) said on 12th April 2013, 4:29

No, it explains that people are trying to find REASONS to dislike him. I’m sure whatever driver they support has told this to their team 100 times over.. but it’s Vettel so “Open Fire” right?

11. Bendanarama (@bendana) said on 11th April 2013, 20:38

“I chose to overtake, because I was faster and he did not deserve the win.”

- Ayrton Senna.

If that quote had come out of that mouth, we would have praised him to high heavens, and would be commenting on how great an attitude it still is today. A lot of the attitude on here seems to be stemming from Disliike of Vettel – generally because people have somehow decided he isn’t as good as Hamilton/Alonso/Kubica/Whoever.

• Jono (@me262) said on 12th April 2013, 1:00

@bendana
      ‘IF’ being the operative word here

• Roberto (@roberto) said on 12th April 2013, 2:18

Doesn’t change the fact he’s right, you’re just affirming his point actually..

• Jono (@me262) said on 13th April 2013, 3:46

@roberto he’s right is he? confirmation of a hypothetical phrase that was never actually said by someone and then assuming and pigeon holing the reaction of the collective Formula 1 community beyond reasonable doubt? God much?

• Bendanarama (@bendana) said on 12th April 2013, 10:21

Not quite sure what you mean by that… Could I have a little more explanation of the point you’re trying to make, @me262?

• Jono (@me262) said on 13th April 2013, 4:03

@bendana I threw up a little bit in my mouth when I read your post – happens when I read presumptuous correlations between Senna and Vettel. Point is Senna never said “I chose to overtake, because I was faster and he did not deserve the win.” Do you know why?? …because he never had to overtake an inferior teammate for a win

I dont think its because he’s not as good or better than anyone, i think its because of his demeanor. He is one of the worst sore losers in the world of professional sports today. Granted, some people admire that and twist it to ‘a will to win’ akin to real champions but realistically, Vettel and most other drivers could only dream of attaining the persona and charisma of Ayrton Senna. One would think the only way is up for Vettel, will be good to see him put his silly finger away and mature a little

• Bendanarama (@bendana) said on 13th April 2013, 7:11

Well, your overdramatic nonsense aside there, I think you’re actually missing – either accidentally or deliberately – the point of what I said. I know Senna never made that quote. The whole point is that if he had, people would have treated it like it was the statement of a saint and a brilliant thing to say.

Its nothing to do with Vettel attaining the persona of Senna. The point is a comparison of the way the two drivers are perceived. Had Senna said something like that – bearing in mind that Ayrton was hardly a saint when it came to actions on and around the track – it would have been treated as wonderful and brilliant. Vettel says it and he gets treated like a war criminal.

By the way, if comments on F1f make you throw up, I suggest seeking medical attention, as you appear to be far to delicate for the rigours of the internet.

12. Swindle94 (@swindle94) said on 11th April 2013, 20:45

As much as I love the kimi/lotus duo, I really hope kimi joins RBR next year to show Vettel how talented he really is.

• Palle (@palle) said on 11th April 2013, 22:16

@swindle94: You mean the Kimi, who needs a GPS to find his way around the track, hehe. Ok, I love Kimi also, but lets face the facts: if You don’t believe a driver is talented after 3 WDC’s, then nothing will ever convince You, because Your dislike of the driver is clouding Your judgement.

13. matt90 (@matt90) said on 11th April 2013, 21:12

“I never had support from his side.”

Nonsense. There have been occasions when Webber disobeyed team orders, but to suggest he never obeyed them is false.

14. xjr15jaaag (@xjr15jaaag) said on 11th April 2013, 21:13

Can we just forget this now?
    It was a minor incident but this is being blown out of proportion by the fans of certain driver(s)

15. Dane (@n0b0dy100) said on 11th April 2013, 22:24

No team orders at Red Bull? Advantage Ferrari /Alonso.

I hope this comes back to haunt Vettel come brazil.