Red Bull gives up on team orders as Vettel admits he would defy them again

2013 Malaysian Grand Prix

Sebastian Vettel, Red Bull, Shanghai, 2013Christian Horner has confirmed Red Bull will stop using team orders at the end of the race following the row which broke out at the end of the Malaysian Grand Prix.

It came as Sebastian Vettel told reporters he would defy similar instructions again and felt his team mate did not deserve to win the race.

Horner told the BBC the decision was taken by Red Bull owner Dietrich Mateschitz: “I had discussions with Dietrich and we agreed that Red Bull is not a fan of team orders.”

“Therefore we will not impose team orders at the end of a race. However, we expect the drivers to act on the information they have from the team.”

Vettel told reporters he did not immediately understand the order he was given during the race: “Had I understood the message and had I thought about it, reflected on it, thought what the team wanted to do, to leave Mark in first place and me finishing second… I think I would have thought about it and I would probably have done the same thing.”

“He didn’t deserve it,” Vettel continued. “There is quite a conflict, because on the one hand I am the kind of guy who respects team decisions and the other hand, probably Mark is not the one who deserved it at the time.”

“I don’t like to talk ill of other people. It’s not my style. I think I said enough. The bottom line is that I was racing, I was faster, I passed him, I won,” he added.

Vettel said he did not expect it would change how far his team mate went in supporting him because “I never had support from his side.”

“In terms of my relationship with Mark, I respect him a lot as a racing driver but I think there was more than one occasion in the past when he could have helped the team but didn’t.”

Both Red Bull drivers have openly disobeyed team orders in the past: Webber did so at Silverstone in 2011 and there was further friction in Brazil last year when Vettel was campaigning to win the championship title.

Webber said Red Bull choosing not to use team orders would make things “probably easier” in the future.

2013 Malaysian Grand Prix

Browse all 2013 Malaysian Grand Prix articles

Image ?? Red Bull/Getty

282 comments on Red Bull gives up on team orders as Vettel admits he would defy them again

1. what an ignorant d0uch3 Vettel sounds like, I think he should fight on an equal plain field, and then win as we all expect, he is just going full schumacher.

2. John H (@john-h) said on 11th April 2013, 23:40

For those that think that Vettel did and is doing the right things, for me this is going to end in a mess for all concerned. Let’s wait and see.

• Maciek (@maciek) said on 12th April 2013, 1:24

I agree, this all smells of bad blood from here on in, and it’s probably going to end in tears for everyone at Red Bull.

• Jono (@me262) said on 12th April 2013, 1:46

this whole kerfuffle has given Vettel extra ‘wings’ within Red Bull and since it didn’t go south for him at alll, now he is just free to think and do what he wants without any repercussions. I liken it to when parents lose control of a child…they grow up to be monsters

3. Shahryar Ali said on 11th April 2013, 23:42

” If its Multi12, its all fine and Team orders are good, if its Multi21 then i am not Ok with it because i am the one who deserves it” Doubles standards from Vettel.. As it is more likely to be Multi12 in most of the races, team orders play in Vettel’s hands. That is the only reason RedBull considered team orders( To prefer Vettel).

If Vettel has problems with team orders, why did he agree to Multi12/Multi21 thing?

• Palle (@palle) said on 12th April 2013, 16:58

If RBR wanted to use team orders to favor Vettel, then they would have asked Webber to move over. Seen from a Team perspective that could have been natural, to make sure he maximised his points tally. Of the 3 titles he won 2 with a margin smaller than 7 points.

4. Aimal (@aimalkhan) said on 11th April 2013, 23:58

Sebastian Vettel aka Eric Cartman – “whateva !! I do what i want &%^&$”

5. F1Yankee (@f1yankee) said on 12th April 2013, 1:32

Infiniti Red Bull Vettel Racing announces Christian Horner is stepping down from his role as Team Principal, as the position is redundant. This will enable Christian to bring greater focus to his continuing role of Chief ******** Officer. To compliment this, Infiniti Red Bull Vettel Racing will be bringing new upgrades to China, including new flexi-lip and blame deflectors.

6. Ivano (@) said on 12th April 2013, 1:40

As much as I like Vettel now, and support his move in Malaysia, this might blow his chances to race for Ferrari?

• Roberto (@roberto) said on 12th April 2013, 2:22

Maybe if he joined alongside Alonso, but I doubt Ferrari would allow that. If anything Ferrari like him more after this. They’ve been desperately trying to find Schumi No 2 and he might just be it..

7. coefficient (@coefficient) said on 12th April 2013, 12:58

News Headline

“RACING WORLD IN SHOCK AS DRIVER TRIES TO WIN A RACE”

It really is time to move on from this. Vettel went up in my estimation after Malaysia. Why? Well, because he raced until the end. I hate all this namby pamby “not fair, you didn’t press the go slow button” rubbish. I want to see 24 tough racers going at it hammer and tongs until the bitter end, I don’t want 2 thirds of a race. I want the ragged edged, car on the brink, raging battle right to the flag. Its the only truly fair way, anything else is just nonesense. Holding Vettel back is punishing him for being better and artificially keeping Webber ahead is impossible to swallow for this grumpy old git!! LOL!

8. deepak kumar (@deepak2709) said on 12th April 2013, 15:12

vettel has lost a little respect that he had from me when he said “he didn’t deserved it”… webber was only following team orders…

9. Drezone said on 13th April 2013, 2:58

Simple

One car per team and every driver for themselves and we wouldn’t have this rubbish and politics

For those that reckon Schuie and two STR’s should have moved over for vettel in brazil 2012 because he would pass them anyway

Well they may as well not race and have just vettel on the track by himself since he will win anyway