Rate the race: 2013 Chinese Grand Prix

2013 Chinese Grand Prix

Nico Rosberg, Mercedes, Shanghai, 2013What did you think of the today’s race? Share your verdict on the Chinese Grand Prix.

Rate the race out of ten and leave a comment below:

Rate the 2013 Chinese Grand Prix out of ten

• 1 (1%)
  • 2 (1%)
  • 3 (1%)
  • 4 (2%)
  • 5 (4%)
  • 6 (10%)
  • 7 (24%)
  • 8 (36%)
  • 9 (16%)
  • 10 (5%)

Total Voters: 896

Loading ... Loading ...

1 = ‘Terrible’, 10 = ‘Perfect’

See the results for past seasons here:

265 comments on Rate the race: 2013 Chinese Grand Prix

1. The Last Pope (@the-last-pope) said on 14th April 2013, 16:10

6/10

A DRS overtake overkilll. Strategically interesting maybe, but too hard to follow (using tv only). Very little REAL on track racing. Race had no stability with driver positions jumping around all over the place, race position was seemingly unimportant so you don’t really care if one driver overtakes another (even if it was a nice pass).

2. George (@george) said on 14th April 2013, 16:14

I was going to give this a 7, but the fight between Vettel and Hamilton at the end was brilliant, so it gets another point :)

3. TMF (@tmf42) said on 14th April 2013, 16:39

the only time someone raced today was Vettel in the last four laps which tells the whole story about F1 at the moment.
    But seeing them coast around the track and pulling of a few artificial maneuvers for the show is not why I tune in – strategy ok but that borders to chess.

• Jason (@jason12) said on 14th April 2013, 16:44

Yea!
      That conjured up MEMORIES of what used to be….

4. minnis (@minnis) said on 14th April 2013, 16:45

5/10 for me. Was looking like it’d be a great race – Alonso and Raikkonen hunting down Hamilton, Webber charging from the back, and vettel, button and hulkenburg fighting through with an alternative strategy. What we got was the Ferrari’s blitzing past Hamilton like he wasn’t there, through no fault of his own, just DRS, not terribly many passes on track, and those that were were mainly DRS anyway. While I appreciate the strategy of the pits, I want to see drovers fighting on the track.

The only highlight was vettels charge at the end, and even that wasnt amazing, with no wheel to wheel action.

5. Hairs (@hairs) said on 14th April 2013, 16:47

Very very tedious race. The only entertainment came from Vettel in the last few laps and the various driver mistakes.

Other than that, it was watch the clock lap-to-a-time racing. Not my idea of fun at all.

6. bull mello (@bullmello) said on 14th April 2013, 18:03

8 – I waited some time before deciding what score to give this race. Partly to see what the stewards decided on the possible DRS penalties and partly to weigh in the factors of the current tires and DRS assisted passing. Having watched F1 since the 60s and seen a myriad of rule changes, technological developments and other mitigating factors, one thing hasn’t changed. That is how the driver performs within the given parameters in comparison with the other drivers on the track operating under the same circumstances. The teams can provide different equipment and strategies, but it is still up to the driver to deliver on the track. Alonso delivered the best performance with what he had to work with in this race. The team had the right strategy and equipment, but Alonso drove the ideal race using the equipment, conditions and rules to his advantage. He used the DRS zones to his advantage better than the other drivers. Not merely to pass, but passing at the right time to get ahead and stay ahead.

I can sympathize with many who do not like the contrivances of the current F1 rules and the tire situation as well. I agree, but, remembering totally processional races with little or no chance for anyone to pass no matter how skilled the driver, we certainly do not want to go back to that. While DRS does make passing easier, passing and making it stick is something else. Tweaking the DRS zones could make it better. The tires can also be changed, mostly in the regulations and how many tires to fine tune that situation. Taking care of tires and equipment have always been a factor for the driver. F1 is a constant changing balancing act between, drivers, teams, tech, rules, qualifying and the race itself. It used to be qualifying was more important than the race because there was little chance to pass. With a few adjustments the balance could be shifted slightly and improved. Then, of course comes 2014 and a whole new set of checks and balances.

Anyways, I gave this race an 8 because it was exciting through most of the race. Some drivers used their skills to the maximum and excelled because of it. Others made mistakes and paid for it. The different strategies paid off for some and not for others. The drivers who qualified well were rewarded. Skills trumped strategies. Meaning, those who took a chance in qualifying for best lap did better than those who laid back conserving tires. That is a good result.

Drivers of the race – Alonso, Kimi, Hamilton, Ricciardo, Hulkenberg, Bianchi. Honorable mention – Button, Vettel, DiResta

7. Liz Gregson (@elsybetg) said on 14th April 2013, 18:14

Overall the tyres dictated the race today. It was a very strategic race and very preempted. Despite this it was good to see some takeover maneuvers now and again but to be honest I’m beginning to get tired of Pirelli controlling the race pace. The end of this season you won’t see Vettel/Alonso/Raikkonen/Hamilton winning the championship. Instead Pirelli are after that number one spot themselves…. a sad state of affairs and something real racing drivers may (and even already are) getting frustrated with…

8. Frost_Byte_94 (@frost_byte_94) said on 14th April 2013, 18:25

A lot of drivers shuffled around on different strategies and some good battles on the track, but a lacklustre qualifying session and they got DRS all wrong.
    8/10

9. Force Maikel (@force-maikel) said on 14th April 2013, 18:41

I gave it an 8/10 but DRS is really a killer on this track isn’t it but I think perhaps we need to start looking at it in a different way. With the tyres being as bad as they are maybe artificial overtaking isn’t as bad as it looks. These tyres seem to be destroying themselves to pieces when they sniff the slightest bit of dirty air. So maybe without DRS drivers wouldn’t even attempt a pass at all! Give it a think people, I’m not saying its still a good thing but It’s not the evil we think it is.

When it comes to tyres I completely agree with the criticism but these are the tools they find themselves with and they need to master them, just like they did in the past two years. These are the best motorsport teams and drivers, if they don’t want to adjust to a difficult situation they don’t really deserve to be here.

10. wasiF1 (@wasif1) said on 14th April 2013, 19:04

It deserve 8 & at every point there was something but here in Bangladesh Star Sports ruined the show for us as they showed commercial break at some important overtaking time.

11. dAniy said on 14th April 2013, 19:56

7/10

Good race for the top 3 pilots specially Kimi. 2nd place with front wing so hardly broken is really a great performance. Bad luck for Webber, again. Congrats to the rookies for an awesome race in the battle for last points.

As for Vettel, nice comeback in the last few laps but for me all he does is showing us that he is a jerk and all he cares is winning. Pushed rules to the limits today and few drivers (Massa) had to avoid him in order to avoid a potential crash. He takes the F1 fun away.

12. socalf1fan (@socalf1fan) said on 14th April 2013, 20:34

I really enjoy the strategy element (maybe that’s why I’m a button fan?), so I rated this race relatively high : 8. I’m surprised that is the most commonly chosen rating though.

Highlights were the vettel run at the end and a great race from Ricciardo. The tires and DRS were a bit too much.

I’ll say that when I saw that marrussia lock up in front of HAM in one of the final corners, my heart was pounding…

13. Patrickl (@patrickl) said on 14th April 2013, 20:35

I kinda liked the race actually. Guess I’ve gotten used to hating the tyres. Good to see that more people are starting to hate them though.

I’d rather see a boring race with some actual overtakes rather than an “entertaining race” with not a single proper overtake. Although Alonso (or was it Hamilton?) driving past Button on the outside was quite funny. Even though of course it was just the tyre difference.

Good on Vettel for trying the offensive. Nearly made it if he hadn’t flinched when the actual pressure came.

• F1fanNL (@) said on 14th April 2013, 21:15

Yeah, it’s amazing Vettel has won 3 championships with his poor ability to handle pressure.

14. electrolite (@electrolite) said on 14th April 2013, 20:59

I enjoyed it, but to be honest I found it difficult to know who was running where a lot of it. Usually this excites me – but I didn’t really know when to be getting excited about passes and when not. A lot of the time people were being let through easily because of differing strategies.

Nevertheless, some good racing and it scrapes an 8 for me.

15. Bendanarama (@bendana) said on 14th April 2013, 21:21

7 for me. Interesting, but not enthralling.

16. R.J. O'Connell (@rjoconnell) said on 14th April 2013, 21:59

Best race of the year so far, honestly. Not saying that solely as an Alonso supporter – because I can understand that someone streaking out to a huge lead at the end can kill the excitement for some people, but there were also the battles between Lewis and Kimi that seemed to go on all race, Vettel’s mad dash to make up 11 seconds in four laps and nearly nick a podium place, a great drive by Hülkenberg for a lot of the race despite his fade towards the end, Button salvaged 5th from an awful McLaren, Ricciardo established himself as “not the guy that’s supposedly warming up Da Costa’s seat”, a frantic start and overall, good racing.

Would have been more interesting if Webber were still around at the end, just because a charge from 22nd into the points would have seemed academic to me because of his style.

17. josephrobert (@josephrobert) said on 14th April 2013, 22:02

I was a little busy on sunday morning so I could not give the race 100% attention.

Now that f1 cars can overtake, with toys and mega long straights we saw Jenson button not defend so that his lap time would not be compromised. In effect an endurance event on who could get from A to B while nursing fragile tyres.

Nice to see 5 world champ in 5 different cars ride to the top.

18. MentalMurph (@mentalmurph) said on 14th April 2013, 23:07

I’ve been an avid F1 fan for at least 20 years and I think I’m beginning to become a bit disillusioned with the current F1 regulations, this race really cemented that for me.

The tyres and DRS are obviously the main issue. Tyres that disintegrate in a short period of time don’t promote flat out flag to flag racing. Drivers and teams are preoccupied with making the tyres last as long as possible, driving to a target lap time and ensuring they don’t overstress them so they can make as few pit stops as possible. To me a GP should be a flat out race with drivers at the limit throughout the whole race, the artificially fragile tyres don’t make that remotely possible. Button asking the team if he should defend his position against Hamilton, or stick to his target lap time, really drives home that something isn’t right.

DRS is far too powerful. If the car behind is fast enough to get under 1 second to the car in front, they can easily deploy DRS and the massive speed difference makes a pass inevitable. There is no real driver skill involved and the defending driver has no chance, as they are at a huge artificial disadvantage.
    During the motogp race last week, I was up off the sofa cheering as Rossi reeled in Crutchlow, Pedrosa and Marques. I even woke the baby up during the battle for 2nd. My heart was pounding and I absolutely appreciated the skill and bravery of the riders as they raced flat out. I didn’t get any of that feeling today.

Maybe I’m not an F1 fan, maybe I’m a racing fan. I really have to question whether F1 is really racing at the moment. It feels more like Mario kart. Get rid of the artificial aids to “improve the show”, the show should be the best drivers, driving the fastest cars flat out for nearly 200 miles to find out who is the fastest.

• redlight said on 15th April 2013, 1:57

I’ve been watching F1 about as long as you and I’m dismayed too. It’s so sad that when an F1 race finishes now on a Sunday I find myself wondering if there’s anything else on today, where I might see some racing.

It’s been some time since I’ve been dozing off during a race but yesterday was a real struggle. I woke up a bit when Seb was pushing at the end. The race was really not worth a 6am start and I’m starting to think seriously about ditching my Sky contract.

If you’re into strategy ruling everything and every race being won and lost not on the track by racers but in the pits by geeks and PCs then you must really love F1 now. If you’re into flat out racing then look elsewhere. Damn shame.

19. Ed Marques (@edmarques) said on 15th April 2013, 0:11

7, good race, but these tyres are ridiculous.

20. Kimi4WDC said on 15th April 2013, 0:41

Loved it. I would hate to be a McLaren fan lately though…