Rate the race: 2013 Chinese Grand Prix

2013 Chinese Grand Prix

Nico Rosberg, Mercedes, Shanghai, 2013What did you think of the today’s race? Share your verdict on the Chinese Grand Prix.

Rate the race out of ten and leave a comment below:

Rate the 2013 Chinese Grand Prix out of ten

• 1 (1%)
  • 2 (1%)
  • 3 (1%)
  • 4 (2%)
  • 5 (4%)
  • 6 (10%)
  • 7 (24%)
  • 8 (36%)
  • 9 (16%)
  • 10 (5%)

Total Voters: 896

Loading ... Loading ...

1 = ‘Terrible’, 10 = ‘Perfect’

See the results for past seasons here:

265 comments on Rate the race: 2013 Chinese Grand Prix

1. Timothy Katz (@timothykatz) said on 14th April 2013, 11:00

I turned it off.
    Yesterday I watched nothing happening at all for a lot of qualifying.
    Today, I saw lots of cars being passed by other cars via the DRS. Like turning on a tap.
    I saw drivers not even bothering to defend their positions because of DRS.
    Then I saw a few cars making a set of tyres last less than laps. Less than ten.
    I’m going to watch the WEC this afternoon. Should be a better race.

2. Lotus49 (@lotus49) said on 14th April 2013, 11:00

I have given it an 8, based on the fact that there was a lot of action and the result was in doubt until well into the race. Conspiracy theorists will have long debates about Mark Webbers weekend, runs out of fuel in qualifying then his wheel falls off after a pitstop. What a pit crew!
    Next year will be a total turn off. Six cylinder, sewing machine engines (with artificial sound generators?), limited to 14,000 rpm, with three thimbles full of petrol and toilet tissue tyres. Best enjoy it while you still can. Don’t forget folks, Formula E starts next year. Oh! I’m soooo excited!!!

• Dizzy said on 14th April 2013, 11:09

Don’t watch Indycar do you.
      They already have V6 Turbo’s similar to what F1 will run in 2014.

They sound great & the racing has been so much better than anything F1 has produced the last 3 years. Drivers love driving them as well because there more ‘fun’ than the 3.5Ltr N/A V8′s (Again similar to what F1 use now) they ran previously.

3. Liam McShane (@motor_mad) said on 14th April 2013, 11:09

How is everybody rating this so high. Nothing exciting happened apart from Vettel at the end. Nobody defended positions because everybody is racing their own race 2/10.

4. RagingInferno (@raginginferno) said on 14th April 2013, 11:33

8/10 – A great race with plenty of action right to the flag, but was ultimately held back by a poor qualifying session on Saturday and an overpowered DRS on Sunday.

5. montreal95 (@montreal95) said on 14th April 2013, 11:42

Gave it a 7. No more, for two reasons:

1) The tires. I’ve never criticized them in the past but this was too much. My criticism is mostly directed at F1 though not Pirelli, ’cause they’re only doing what they were asked to do

2) Pathetic DRS. Really one of the worst implementations of DRS ever. In China overtaking was not too hard even without the DRS so to give them 2 big zones is a joke. For next year only the pit-straight one should remain

• @montreal95 +1 on everything except this:

For next year only the pit-straight one should remain

There were plenty of ballsy overtakes there before, which DRS irradiated. For me, a much reduced one on the back straight or possibly even a short ones between turns 10 & 11 to try and promote some overtaking there.

• montreal95 (@montreal95) said on 14th April 2013, 12:12

@vettel1 I can agree on the much reduced back straight DRS zone. A much shorter one on the back straight or only the one at the pit straight it makes no difference IMO to overtaking on the pit straight. Because the cars could get so close on the back straight, that even when they didn’t pass there and then, they then breezed past on the pit straight.

But here’s where I was coming from: I don’t remember any ballsy moves into turn 1 from the bad old pre-2009 days, unless there were special circumstances like changeable conditions. So a DRS zone ONLY on the pit straight will allow to replicate that without making the overtaking on the back straight too easy, which it will be, even with reduced zone length. Really, does the longest straight on the calendar need a DRS zone?

• irradiated eradicated*, damn autocorrect!

Maybe not from those bad old days, but we’ve had plenty the last few years – off the top of my head I can remember Hamilton on Button in 2011.

Really, does the longest straight on the calendar need a DRS zone?

Absolutely not, although I honestly think there are very few places that actually needDRS zones! tracks like the Hungaroring and Suzuka need DRS zones, not easy overtaking tracks like Shanghai or Spa!

• M Dickens (@sgt-pepper) said on 14th April 2013, 12:34

(@vettel1)

Really, does the longest straight on the calendar need a DRS zone?

+1.

• montreal95 (@montreal95) said on 14th April 2013, 14:30

@vettel1 But in 2011 there was already DRS at the back straight, which allowed Hamilton to cruise up to Button’s gearbox for the pass. It’s not impossible to imagine that if, instead of the DRS zone on the back straight we had one on the pit straight the effect would be the same(=brilliant pass into turn one), with additional benefit of not having DRS on a 1.2km straight

I completely disagree regarding the need for DRS. I think most of the tracks in the championship need DRS, just not on the huge main straight. Back when the cars were still not too affected by the dirty air and could follow each other closely, you didn’t have to be on a kilometer long straight to overtake. DRS purpose must be to re-create some of that ability without resorting to costly measures. Putting it on the longest straight on the calendar completely misses the mark.

For example, in Canada DRS should be activated on the straight leading to the hairpin not from the hairpin, and also possibly on the pit straight. In Bahrain DRS should be activated on the short straight behind the pits, etc. etc.

• @montreal95 – couldn’t the closing be recreated by just a short DRS zone on the straight though, or indeed the one between the hairpin and the final turn?

Anyway, I think DRS really isn’t necessary in a lot of places and it should only be used on shorter straights to try and reclaim the lost time following another car. So in most of the places it is currently located indeed it’s not at all necessary.

• montreal95 (@montreal95) said on 14th April 2013, 14:43

@vettel1 The segment between the hairpin and the last turn, don’t think so. It’s too short to have any significant effect. Anyway this is a small technicality. I think we’ve mostly came to an agreement on this issue :)

6. andae23 (@andae23) said on 14th April 2013, 11:46

8/10 – I think today’s race was very strategy-focused: the soft-mediums 3-stoppers, the mediums-soft 3-stoppers and the 2-stoppers. And it was really interesting to follow the developments with live-timing. In a way, the easy DRS-passes actually ensured everyone had the opportunity to make their own strategy work without getting stuck. Maybe it’s a personality thing, but I quite like it when halfway through you really have an idea of how this is going to pan out.

But of course, there is the other side of the coin: on-track overtakes were very easy and very predictable. However, there was some drama from time to time: the Force India collision, Gutierrez going ‘Schumacher’ and the Raikkonen/Perez and Webber/JEV collisions. Loved some of the overtakes, notably Alonso’s overtakes in the long right-hander and Hamilton on Button in turn one. Also loved the fight for third on the last lap.

In the end, great result, excellent drive by the entire top five, and how ’bout Ricciardo in seventh! Good race, not excellent, so an 8/10 from me.

7. ME4ME (@me4me) said on 14th April 2013, 11:53

10/10 for me. Really enjoyed the race. A couple of great overtakes, some great battles, and some interesting strategies. This is pretty much what I watch F1 for. I do understand people complaining about the tires yesterday after qualifying. But at the race, it made it very interesting and everyone has the same problems to deal with. Everybody knows the softs would go off, and it’s up to each team to optimise the car and driver style to get the max out of them. Vettel did great in that aspect, Button not so much. Alonso really stand out today though, and did everything perfect. This race was e perfect example why the nr1 drivers at the top teams deserve their top spot inside their team. Alonso, Raikkonen, Hamilton, Vettel and Button beating their teammate’s all by some margin.

• andae23 (@andae23) said on 14th April 2013, 11:56

@me4me

This race was a perfect example why the nr1 drivers at the top teams deserve their top spot inside their team.

Indeed: you can be a fast driver, but if you can’t make your strategy work you’re nowhere!

• Rosberg was brutally unlucky, again. He seems to have last years chronically unreliable Mercedes while Hamilton drives some different car.

• TMF (@tmf42) said on 14th April 2013, 13:56

@me4me Not sure if we watched the same race :) – there were a few overtakes that looked good but the tires made it impossible for the guys in front to really defend and with 2 DRS zones there is nothing to defend, so none of these moves were really “difficult”. Radio messages like “Don’t fight let him thru” – was the main vibe of this race. Hamilton was within a second of Raikkonen but could never challenge him because after 4 laps the tires made it impossible. How awful the tires made the race was shown by Vettel – he gained 12 seconds within 4 laps.

• clmdwn222 said on 14th April 2013, 16:18

spotted on

8. Michael (@michaelf1) said on 14th April 2013, 12:11

I voted 8 because over the past few years, the Chinese Grand Prix hasn’t seen that many incidents and today we have seen plenty! It made the race more exiting but lack of overtakes is the reason i’m not going any higher.

9. matt (@f1supreme) said on 14th April 2013, 13:05

i voted 3 only because of the final few laps,otherwise i would have voted less.before that final few laps the race was very boring.
    someone said there were some great battles,what great battles?there were none.

10. The Race is not too good also Not too bad but it lacked the Killer like Previous Chinese GP’s
    I think If Pirelli needs to Continue Like this kind of Rubber They need to expand their Choice of tires. We need a Tire Between Soft and Medium.
    A Soft Kind of tire which gives atleast 12 – 14 Laps(Qualification and Race 1st stint Combined) in a Circuit Where Tire will have Maximum Punishment.

11. the-judge said on 14th April 2013, 13:28

FIA please get rid of DRS and I will get interested. This is too much! if your good enough you can pass without a 20 kph advantage. Keep KERS though!

12. Seems like every GP is way above average! That’s a pretty good trick. I only pay attention to these polls because I’m curious to see what sort of race will one day get rated an average “5″.

13. Nickpkr21 said on 14th April 2013, 14:06

8/10

Qualy boring

No team orders, but stopping lap crucial, all numbers twos affected, only mercedes understood how to do it !

14. the_sigman (@sigman1998) said on 14th April 2013, 14:07

9/10! Various strategies and great action!

15. Keamo said on 14th April 2013, 14:17

I’d give it a six. I’ve seen way better.