Webber handed grid penalty for Vergne collision

2013 Chinese Grand Prix

Mark Webber, Red Bull, Shanghai, 2013Mark Webber has been given a three-place penalty for his collision with Jean-Eric Vergne during the Chinese Grand Prix.

According to the stewards: “The driver of car two [Webber] admitted that he attempted to overtake car eighteen [Vergne] because he believed car eighteen would give him sufficient room.”

“Car eighteen maintained its normal line through the corner and car two was unable to avoid the collision. The driver of car two admitted it was his mistake.”

Vergne said: “I think Mark could not have got through from where he tried and I?m not even sure if he was trying to pass me.”

“Certainly I didn?t even know he was there. Unfortunately, the impact put me into a spin and the incident damaged my floor. From then I lost a lot of downforce. It was not a good race from then on, having lost a lot of time and having to drive a damaged car.

“It?s not been a good weekend, as I did not have a smooth time of it from the start. However, as I said yesterday, the pace of the car has improved in the break since Malaysia, as could be seen from what Daniel was able to do today. Therefore I am now looking forward to Bahrain with a positive outlook.”

Webber said he was “coming from a reasonable distance behind” when he made the move. “Jean-Eric was really wide, but when we came close to the apex he wanted to hit it, which he is entitled to do, but by then I was committed to the inside and the incident happened.”

2013 Chinese Grand Prix

Browse all 2013 Chinese Grand Prix articles

Image ?? Red Bull/Getty

83 comments on Webber handed grid penalty for Vergne collision

1. Xander (@xander) said on 14th April 2013, 11:55

Enjoy driving for Porsche Mark. It’s been a fun ride.

2. Zantkiller (@zantkiller) said on 14th April 2013, 12:03

Webber has signed a 5 year deal with Porsche for WEC.

I think it is best he goes from F1 if he is not liking it.

• @zantkiller

I don’t think it’s about liking F1 or not as it’s more about liking Red Bull. Mark still has a few F1 years left in him and he could easily find a place with let’s say Williams (if Maldonado runs out of money), or Lotus (if Raikkonen makes the switch to Red Bull or they decide to ditch Grosjean), but…it wouldn’t be a sensible choice. Whichever team he might choose to sign with in F1, except for Red Bull, won’t be able to provide him with a better shot at the title than he had at Milton Keynes. And since Red Bull clearly won’t provide him with that chance either anymore, switching back to endurance seems like his best bet. Plus, it’s a long term contract with a factory team, if the rumours are true. Surely that weighs more, from every single point of view, than a short term contract with any F1 team.

Hell, if I were him I’d throw my helmet at Helmut Marko right now and go ask Porsche to let me have some fun in one of their GTE Pro cars for the rest of the year before switching full time to LMP1 next season.

Plus, as a die-hard endurance fan, I can’t wait to see McNish, Wurz, Davidson and Webber all fight for the win in LMP1. It’s like the 2000s we never got in F1…

• Joe Papp (@joepa) said on 14th April 2013, 17:25

Plus, it’s a long term contract with a factory team,

@tony031r – much better to be a driver in a formula on a team that actually wants you and values your presence, than spend another year w/ RBR where they only just remember to put the wheel nuts on and begrudgingly provide you fuel for the car in the first place.

Webber had a great run in F1 but surely has maxed his potential, and the animosity from his “team” can’t be worth enduring if there are greener pastures elsewhere.

I’ve always been a fan of his though and am so glad he collected two historic wins at Monaco so that he could do backflips into the pool!

3. ME4ME (@me4me) said on 14th April 2013, 12:06

Im not shocked he actually got a penalty, his move on Vergne was quite clumsy. It’s unlike Mark to do something like that, very much like Alonso driving into Vettel at Malaysia. Seems like Mark was under some pressure from himself, and was in a hurry. He should’ve waiting for the DRS zone for an easy overtake, cause this was just wasn’t going to happen. A very dissapointing weekend for him, and to get a penalty for next week must leave a sour taste.

4. Dizzy said on 14th April 2013, 12:25

I was initially going to say a penalty would be harsh, However I just saw the in-car shot from Mark’s car on the BBC & seeing that it was clearly 100% Mark’s fault.

The 2 trackside shots make it looks like Mark was at least partially alongside with JEV just cutting across. However the in-car from Mark’s car shows clearly that Mark came from miles back, wasn’t alongside & just drove straght into JEV’s Right Rear.

5. GeeMac (@geemac) said on 14th April 2013, 12:28

I can only take this to mean that Webber thought Vergne would jump right out of his way as soon as he appeared in his mirrors. Mark, you learned in Malaysia that your own team members aren’t all that willing to let you benefit from team orders, so why would you expect a member of your sister team to make your life any easier?!

6. James (@jamesf1) said on 14th April 2013, 15:04

Having watched the 2007 Chinese GP the other night as part of Sky’s build up this weekend, I cant see too much difference between this incident at the same corner where Ralf Schumacher clattered in to Alexander Wurz.

In that event, I cant remember Ralf getting a penalty? Like Webber today, he retired from an unrelated incident further on in the race, but that was all. I apapreciate the regulations have changed since then and expected standards raised, but I feel that a grid penalty for Mark is a little unjust.

7. Irejag (@irejag) said on 14th April 2013, 16:46

I like Mark, but when it comes to passing my opinion is that the car ahead has every right to the racing line and does NOT have to move or leave room. It is up to the car behind to leave the racing line and make the pass. In other words, this was Mark’s fault, but i still feel that he should not be given a grid penalty. If it is allowable I would just make him have to do a drive through within the first 3 laps of the next race.

8. HoHum (@hohum) said on 14th April 2013, 17:48

No wonder RBR favor Vettel over Webber, what a loser, unbelievable, ADMITTING fault.

9. Patrickl (@patrickl) said on 14th April 2013, 20:43

Have to say it’s about time that Webber got penalized for one of his boneheaded moves. Just go over all the accidents that he caused and how incredibly little penalties he has gotten for them. It’s truly amazing/ridiculous.

• Drezone said on 15th April 2013, 7:28

Boneheads

That’s funny

You new to F1

I suppose running out of fuel in quali and loose tyre in the race is one of his boneheaded moves

I’m pretty sure webber has caused less accidents than half the grid let alone vettel and even Schumacher for that matter and he doesn’t run up the back of people behind safety cars or run into the sides of other drivers on a straight with no curves or smash barge boards off the track like his teammate

Bonehead move

That’s gold

• David-A (@david-a) said on 15th April 2013, 19:15

@Drezone – Webber caused more accidents than Vettel, even in 2010. Webber had several incidents in Abu Dhabi 2012 (with Massa, with Perez), Monza 2011 (rammed Massa’s rear), Korea 2010 (spun, car rolled across track, collecting Rosberg), Europe 2010 (hit a backmarker while fighting for position, flipped his car), Australia 2010 (hit Lewis Hamilton on 2 seperate occasions, and broke his own wing), Singapore 2010 (collides with Hamilton again), and so on.

10. Melchior (@melchior) said on 15th April 2013, 0:56

It looked to me like Vergne was leaving room for Webber because of his wide line into the turn,which was clearly not the case in the end.
    Webber admitted his mistake for causing the accident and got penalised.Fairs fair.
    It was unfortunate for both drivers and i was disappointed with Webber because he was having a good race making up for that fuel rig stuff up in quali.It would have been interesting to see where he would have ended up,position wise,at the end of the race.