Hamilton: McLaren’s problems “not unusual”

2013 Bahrain Grand Prix

Jenson Button, McLaren, Shanghai, 2013Lewis Hamilton says McLaren’s problems with their new car are “not unusual” for them.

Hamilton followed the development of the MP4-28 before leaving McLaren to join Mercedes. “I thought that the car looked the same, but I was told that they?ve changed the car completely,” he said in an interview on the official Formula One website.

“They?ve probably made some big decisions which they thought would translate into big gains, but that hasn?t happened. Actions like that are not unusual with McLaren. I have experienced that in the past, particularly in 2009 and in 2010 as well.

“So it?s not unheard of that they make drastic changes. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn?t.”

Hamilton added he’s had difficult staying in contact with his former team: “I went to see them in Australia.”

“But I also tried to see them in Jerez, at the test, and there Sam Michael threw me out of the garage. That wasn?t very positive and I don?t feel very good about that.”

“Martin [Whitmarsh] has been great and I have to say that I haven?t had enough contact, so I will give Martin a call.”

2013 Bahrain Grand Prix

Browse all 2013 Bahrain Grand Prix articles

Image ?? McLaren/Hoch Zwei

59 comments on Hamilton: McLaren’s problems “not unusual”

1. coefficient (@coefficient) said on 19th April 2013, 15:39

I don’t think this will make for pleasant reading back at Woking. It’s foolish to burn your bridges as you go because you may need to retreat back across them in the future. Yet another Hamilton clanger! Oh well, at least he’s candid if a little loose tongued.

2. jochenrindt78 (@jochenrindt78) said on 19th April 2013, 16:23

Sam Michaels was probably worried lewis would start “tweeting”

3. F1Ray said on 19th April 2013, 16:29

Over the winter, Hamillton said in various interviews, how he would bring ideas, etc, over to Merc, from what he experienced at Mclaren. It may not be crucial car data, but more like working systems, etc. He is then surprised to be asked to leave the McLaren garage, after spouting about the aforementioned to the media. For those who think it was wrong to be asked to leave, can you imagine Ross Brawn being happy about Button wandering about in the Merc garage, talking to some of his old workmates. It is not normal for a driver from one team, to be allowed into another team’s garage, regardless of who it is, so I don’t see why Hamilton can’t appreciate that.

4. 23kennyboy23 said on 19th April 2013, 16:35

People say the Jenson/Perez lineup is weak and I’d have to agree, but to be honest they could only have slightly improved on that with Hulkenburg, they still more or less have the best drivers available to them at the time.

5. Jason (@jason12) said on 19th April 2013, 16:59

McLaren enjoys UPS and DOWNS.
    Unlike Redbull they don’t wanna be consistently on top.

• Jason (@jason12) said on 19th April 2013, 17:03

When no one excepts, now and then, they’ll just come up with dog of car.

Then enjoy developing it throughout the season.
      Then almost be fastest just as the season ends.
      Hahaha! So funny….

6. Parazar said on 19th April 2013, 21:46

Here you go.

McLaren PR director Matt Bishop responded by saying: “Sam didn’t throw Lewis out of our garage.

“Rather, he gently guided him out since our car was being worked on by our mechanics at the time, with a number of its dismantled components clearly visible, which no-one from a rival team should see.

“Lewis knew he shouldn’t have been in our garage in the first place, just as all team personnel know they shouldn’t enter rival teams’ garages.”

Bishop pointed out Hamilton had also spent time in their paddock hospitality “at a number of grands prix” so far this season and had always been “warmly welcomed”.

7. I don’t think Hamilton has done anything wrong regarding to his move to Mercedes, but he should have factored in that McLaren weren’t going to see his move to Mercedes in the way they should, I don’t think he should feel the need of hanging out with his old crew he is guilty of nothing and he should try to avoid mixing himself with his old crew during F1 operations.

8. “But I also tried to see them in Jerez, at the test, and there Sam Michael threw me out of the garage. That wasn’t very positive and I don’t feel very good about that.”

That’s just a manly issue, a bit of body contact can spring nasty reactions, every guy has experienced that rage. Perhaps Hamiton was discussing the manner he was sent out, that according to Whitmarsh wasn’t impolite, what’s impolite was to stand near another f1 team, a bit like staying to close behind someone at the atm.