Hamilton gets gearbox change penalty

2013 Bahrain Grand Prix

Lewis Hamilton, Mercedes, Bahrain International Circuit, 2013Lewis Hamilton will be moved back five places on the grid for the Bahrain Grand Prix due to a gearbox change.

Hamilton incurred the damage on the car at the end of final practice when he suffered a suspension failure and tyre delamination.

Hamilton joins Mark Webber and Esteban Gutierrez who already have penalties for this weekend’s race.

2013 Bahrain Grand Prix

Browse all 2013 Bahrain Grand Prix articles

Image ?é?® Daimler/Hoch Zwei

24 comments on Hamilton gets gearbox change penalty

1. ME4ME (@me4me) said on 20th April 2013, 11:25

Seems Mercedes still got the reliability problems they had last year, with Rosbergs car already broken down twice in a race, and now Hamiltons’ in practise. Thats trouble 3 weekends out of 4.

• andrewf1 (@andrewf1) said on 20th April 2013, 11:27

@me4me
      I really think this has absolutely nth to do with Mercedes reliability. Pretty sure if it hadnt been for that blown-up tire, they wouldn’t have changed the gearbox.

• ME4ME (@me4me) said on 20th April 2013, 11:30

Is it actually confirmed it was the tire blowing up? To me it seemed like a suspension failure, which then ruined the tyre.

• Edz101 (@eddieb101) said on 20th April 2013, 12:05

suspension failure would hardly do that much damage and in that way to the tyre…I think the tyre itself went and then caused the suspension issue and as a result of that gearbox change…have you ever seen what damage a tyre can do when it blows out like that? …. i have and the whole wheel arch and suspension arm on the car in question had to be replaced… However, the only true and honest thing to say is we won’t know until they confirm what happened.

• Hamilton will have a DNF, I can tell. Anybody wants to bet?

2. andrewf1 (@andrewf1) said on 20th April 2013, 11:26

So, Hamilton gets a penalty because of Pirelli’s joke-tires. Nice job, Pirelli.

3. Dev (@dev) said on 20th April 2013, 11:26

this would help force india, to get higher in the top ten and aim for good points.

4. clappy (@danielc) said on 20th April 2013, 11:27

Here come’s Hamilton’s bad run, we all know it will be a bad run it happen’s every season ah well id start on primes if he is 5th because with grid penalty he has a free choice.

5. Nomore (@nomore) said on 20th April 2013, 11:45

Feel sorry for Ham

6. kbdavies (@kbdavies) said on 20th April 2013, 11:49

The delamination caused the suspension faliure, which in turn caused the gearbox issues.

7. My prediction-
    Ham- DNF
    Rosberg will lose out on strategy.
    Vettel- Win
    Alosno- 2nd
    3rd- Up for grabs. Hopefully Kimi but what heart says brain doesn’t acknowledge.

8. Highstoned (@highstoned) said on 20th April 2013, 23:00

What about Massa on hard in 4th, could rob them all maybe…

9. Theoddkiwi (@theoddkiwi) said on 21st April 2013, 3:56

Debris cause the tyre to fail, and through no fault of the driver or the team they get a penalty