Vettel drives the future Russian GP track in Sochi

F1 video

Sebastian Vettel has had an early look at the future home of the Russian Grand Prix.

The video above shows Vettel driving the Sochi track, which is still under construction, yesterday. The inaugural Russian Grand Prix is expected to be held in November next year

Vettel was encouraged by the the layout of the new track: “I think by the looks of it, by the drawing, I think it could be a very interesting and challenging track with some fast corners and hopefully plenty of places to overtake so the racing is quite exciting.”

Pictures: Vettel drives the Russian Grand Prix track in Sochi

F1 video

Browse all F1 videos

Images ?? Prism

43 comments on Vettel drives the future Russian GP track in Sochi

1. Nick.UK (@) said on 23rd April 2013, 12:59

Well that video ended quite abruptly.

I don’t know much about Sochi, but when I hear “Street Circuit” I kind of expect there to actually be a city there…

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 23rd April 2013, 13:36

@nick-uk – The city is being built. And it’s not like Korea, where the government funded the construction of a circuit in the middle of nowhere in the vain hopes of triggering growth in the region. The Sochi circuit winds through one of the Sochi Olympic Precincts (the other is up in the mountains), the stage of the 2014 Winter Olympics. All those buildings in the background are Olympic venues.

2. Calum (@calum) said on 23rd April 2013, 13:14

Nice noise from that car, brutal front end though.

3. Stretch (@stretch) said on 23rd April 2013, 13:28

I have only ever seen Infinity cars at the Aus GP, and I think we got a dealership this year. I’m curious, how popular are they over there in Europe?

4. ShaneB457 (@shaneb12345678910) said on 23rd April 2013, 13:28

As I’ve been studying russian for about two years, I’m really happy that a russian GP will happen in the near future. To be honest, the track looks quite interesting, especially the fast left hander but I suppose like all tracks, we wont see if the track will encourage overtaking until cars actually drive on it.

5. matt90 (@matt90) said on 23rd April 2013, 14:25

Nice that he drove it in a car with such fantastic racing pedigree.

6. iAltair (@ialtair) said on 23rd April 2013, 15:34

Nice to see the World Champion doing his homework even before this track has been confirmed in the calendar.

7. petebaldwin (@petebaldwin) said on 23rd April 2013, 16:20

Not sure about the track. Mainly 80-100 degree bends so not sure if this will allow for much overtaking. Fingers crossed I’ll be wrong but it just doesn’t look exciting….

8. electrolite (@electrolite) said on 23rd April 2013, 17:00

So err, it’s an Infiniti advert?

9. Guccio (@concalvez00) said on 23rd April 2013, 17:27

It looks so sober over there and the car is ugly.

10. DC (@dujedcv) said on 23rd April 2013, 22:18

So its a rallycross grand prix :)

11. OmarR-Pepper (@omarr-pepper) said on 23rd April 2013, 22:38

Is all that water from the construction or it rains like in a forest there?

12. GeeMac (@geemac) said on 24th April 2013, 7:26

Seems pretty early to be having promotional events in Sochi don’t you think. I know RBR have a history of doing these promotional videos (they did one in Korea with karun Chandhok driving round the track before the proper tarmac surface was laid and again in Austin before the race last year with DC driving the circuit which was all dirt at the time). Those were quite good teasers because (a) Chandhok is a bit of a fans favorite and (b) DC isa fan favorite and the concept was pretty unique. The Sochi run just seemed like, well, like driving a rubbish looking SUV round a grim, wet, Russian building site.

13. sennapart2 said on 24th April 2013, 9:03

In South Africa, I have seen only 2 on the road.
    I must say that the pictures I have seen on the internet of the Infiniti Fx Vettel Edition are simply stunning.
    Remember also that Vettel is the Director of Performance at Infiniti.