Michael Schumacher will get back behind the wheel of an F1 car on the Nurburgring Nordschleife next month, Mercedes has confirmed.
Schumacher will drive a 2011 W02 on the longer version of the track which held Germany’s round of the world championship between 1951 and 1976.
“Schumacher will post a demonstration lap on the Nurburgring?óÔé¼Ôäós legendary Nordschleife in a Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 W02 to say ‘thank you’ to his fans for their years of loyal support during his F1 career,” said Mercedes in a statement.
The run will take place on Sunday 19th May ahead of the start of this year’s Nurburgring 24 Hours sportscar race.
Schumacher said: “I have a lot of fond memories of the Nurburgring and am really looking forward to giving fans and friends from my home town of Kerpen, which is quite close to the Nurburgring, something to remember as they see me drive by.”
“But it will be a fantastic experience for me too, driving along the Nordschleife in a state-of?óÔé¼ÔÇ£the-art Formula 1 Silver Arrow, particularly in view of the fact that the Silver Arrow?óÔé¼Ôäós legend began here. Posting a lap in a modern Silver Arrow on the most beautiful and most testing circuit in the world, what a brilliant mix ?óÔé¼ÔÇ£ it?óÔé¼Ôäós every motor racing driver?óÔé¼Ôäós dream!”
Recent F1 drivers and cars to have tackled the Nurburgring Nordschleife including the following:
- Nick Heidfeld on the Nurburgring Nordschleife
- Nico Hulkenberg laps Nordschleife in Williams Hybrid Porsche
- Kimi Raikkonen laps the old Nurburgring with Kim Dotcom
2013 F1 season
- Take F1 Fanatic’s new 2013 season quiz
- F1 Fanatic’s new year thanks and credits 2014
- The complete F1 Fanatic 2013 season review
- The drivers, teams and cars of 2013
- Schumacher’s condition “slightly improved” after second operation
Browse all 2013 F1 season articles
Image ?é?® Mercedes/Hoch Zwei