Schumacher to drive F1 car on Nordschleife

2013 F1 season

Michael Schumacher, Mercedes, Yas Marina, 2012Michael Schumacher will get back behind the wheel of an F1 car on the Nurburgring Nordschleife next month, Mercedes has confirmed.

Schumacher will drive a 2011 W02 on the longer version of the track which held Germany’s round of the world championship between 1951 and 1976.

“Schumacher will post a demonstration lap on the Nurburgring?s legendary Nordschleife in a Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 W02 to say ‘thank you’ to his fans for their years of loyal support during his F1 career,” said Mercedes in a statement.

The run will take place on Sunday 19th May ahead of the start of this year’s Nurburgring 24 Hours sportscar race.

Schumacher said: “I have a lot of fond memories of the Nurburgring and am really looking forward to giving fans and friends from my home town of Kerpen, which is quite close to the Nurburgring, something to remember as they see me drive by.”

“But it will be a fantastic experience for me too, driving along the Nordschleife in a state-of?ǣthe-art Formula 1 Silver Arrow, particularly in view of the fact that the Silver Arrow?s legend began here. Posting a lap in a modern Silver Arrow on the most beautiful and most testing circuit in the world, what a brilliant mix ?ǣ it?s every motor racing driver?s dream!”

Recent F1 drivers and cars to have tackled the Nurburgring Nordschleife including the following:

2013 F1 season

Browse all 2013 F1 season articles

Image ?? Mercedes/Hoch Zwei

49 comments on Schumacher to drive F1 car on Nordschleife

1. wsrgo (@wsrgo) said on 25th April 2013, 10:42

Hope he pushes more than Heidfeld did in the BMW..

2. Journeyer (@journeyer) said on 25th April 2013, 10:43

So… will he go for the lap record? I hope he does. Will they allow him to, though?

3. jh1806 (@jh1806) said on 25th April 2013, 10:47

I’m going to the ‘ring about 1 week after this, cannot believe I will miss it!

4. goondu86 (@goondu86) said on 25th April 2013, 10:48

Even if they do not allow a proper run, it’ll be amazing to see current day F1 car on 1 of the legendary tracks. And we need in car footage of the whole run on Youtube with 1080p. That will be all.

5. Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 25th April 2013, 11:14

Does anyone know if Schumacher’s raced on the Nordschleife before? I don’t believe he did in his DTM and F3 days.

6. andae23 (@andae23) said on 25th April 2013, 12:09

“[...] driving along the Nordschleife in a state-of–the-art Formula 1 Silver Arrow, particularly in view of the fact that the Silver Arrow’s legend began here. Posting a lap in a modern Silver Arrow on the most beautiful and most testing circuit in the world, what a brilliant mix – it’s every motor racing driver’s dream!”

Let’s go through this once again, shall we?

- This is an evolution of the original 2009 Brawn GP car, which in its development process was rebranded as a ‘Mercedes’, after the eponymous car manufacturer decided to buy the team that had somehow won the championship that year.

- This is the silver arrow. Not ‘a’ silver arrow, but ‘the’ silver arrow.

• fangio85 (@fangio85) said on 25th April 2013, 14:35

“Silver arrow” is a term used for more than one car, and indeed for more than one manufacturer. It was coined by the media to describe the 1930s Mercedes and auto union grand prix cars that were dominating at the time, and has since been used to describe quite a few racing cars.

• andae23 (@andae23) said on 25th April 2013, 14:56

I would say the last Mercedes car that I can kind of see is a silver arrow was the W196, but I mean… seriously, current generation F1 cars are still called ‘silver arrows’? I would much rather have that the W25 would be recognized as the ‘true’ silberpfeile, similar to ’158′ and ‘Alfetta’ – I get the feeling Mercedes are just over-hyping the name ‘silver arrow’… and that annoys me.

• matt90 (@matt90) said on 25th April 2013, 16:56

I’m surprised that Audi don’t play up to the heritage for their le mans cars, as Auto Unions were silver arrows (and most Audi sportscars have been silver).

7. Paulocreed (@paulocreed) said on 25th April 2013, 14:49

He will probably have to pit after one lap to change tyres.

8. tobinen (@tobinen) said on 25th April 2013, 14:54

I’d love him to go for a timed lap but I’d be surprised if he does or is allowed to

9. rankx (@rankx22) said on 25th April 2013, 14:55

To judge by the picture he doesn’t color his hair any longer.

10. Francorchamps (@francorchamps17) said on 25th April 2013, 16:55

Nurburgring is far too dangerous, it’s easy to go over the barriers with a modern F1. I think he won’t be allowed to do a lap under 7 min or something like that.

• Boomerang said on 25th April 2013, 22:18

The only setup that can ‘safely’ hold F1 on the this track is the one used in Monaco. With maximum ride height, of course. There are few jumps on the track and I’d like to see aerodynamic sensitive car, like modern F1, holding it together without loss of control. Quite challenging indeed.

11. msoerensen (@msoerensen) said on 25th April 2013, 17:13

Call me Schumacher crazy, but it makes me happy knowing he will get to race on the Nordschleife.

12. If the dangers aren’t too great, I do hope Schumacher is allowed to post a laptime – it’s safe enough for a Zonda R, so an F1 car shouldn’t be too bad I wouldn’t think!

• Tifoso1989 (@tifoso1989) said on 25th April 2013, 22:14

I don’t think so the track is too dangerous for an F1 car, the driver in a Zonda R is more protected than he is in an F1 car plus the fact that an F1 car will be much more faster around those dangerous corners I still cannot believe the lap record set by Stefan Bellof in 1983

13. Bobby (@f1bobby) said on 25th April 2013, 18:51

I hope they let him take it off the leash.

14. OmarR-Pepper (@omarr-pepper) said on 25th April 2013, 20:12

Is the old part of the track with proper tarmac? If not, he won’t be allowed to try to break the lap record.