Vettel: “You don’t want any gifts”

2013 F1 season

Sebastian Vettel, Red Bull, Bahrain International Circuit, 2013Sebastian Vettel says the thrill of winning would be diminished if he felt his success was being handed to him.

Speaking to NBC last weekend, Vettel said: “Of course a win is always exciting. But you don’t want to win, how can I say, the wrong way.”

Vettel, who scored a controversial win in Malaysia after overtaking his team mate when he’d been told not to, said: “You want to work for it and you want to make sure that you get the feeling you really achieved the win because you worked for it.”

“You don’t want any gifts, that’s for sure, because it just doesn’t feel the same,” Vettel added. “If anybody puts me a piece of paper here and says ‘sign here, you’ll win the race’ or ‘sign here, you’ll win the championship’ – ultimately in a way that’s the target, to win the championship. But where the excitement when you sign a piece of paper and you know the result before going into the race?”

“I think the thrill you wait for when the lights are on, when the lights go off, to start racing, the thrill once you’re in the race, to fight for position, make sure you’re consistent, you look after yourself, after the car, the tyres etc… and you fight and race hard until the end. And when you cross the line then and you win the race that’s the biggest satisfaction you can get.”

“So I think we’d lose a lot of the excitement and the thrill if you just write the story beforehand.”

“Sometimes it doesn’t help telling the truth”

Following the Malaysia fall-out Vettel said he accept it wasn’t always possible for him to get his point across clearly in the media:

“I think first of all you have to some degree limited input on how much you can change or influence your image. Because ultimately people have the right to make up their own minds. For sure with the situation with the media as it is they obviously have the power to make things come across the wrong way.

“But I think the most important is that deep down yourself you know the truth. Sometimes it doesn’t help telling the truth because people are maybe not ready for it or not really listening. I think controversy is always more popular than probably the truth. But I think these things they equal out.

“It’s a long process, it’s a long career probably people have in Formula One. It’s a long season as well so with all the stuff going on sometimes of course you feel why people don’t get what’s really going on. But then, as I said, the most important is really that you know for yourself. The one thing I really care about is that the team knows, the people I work with, the people I enjoy my time here together with, that they really know what’s going on.”

Vettel is one of the three drivers on the grid who does not use Twitter: “I’m not a fan of social media,” he admitted.

“Some people like it, some people don’t. I don’t judge anybody but it’s not made for me, I don’t see the need to tell everyone what I’m doing.”

2013 F1 season

Browse all 2013 F1 season articles

Image ?? Red Bull/Getty

228 comments on Vettel: “You don’t want any gifts”

1. HaulassHarry said on 26th April 2013, 23:50

Vettel derserved the win at Malaysia! When he asked his team to have Webber move out of the way at the halfway point in the race, they told him to chill there was still half the race to go. Then a quarter of the race later, they tell him to hold position with the infamous “multi 21″ command. Just when was he suppose to pass Webber? I guess when Vettel came in for for tires too soon on the first stop, it was over for him as far as the team was concerned. And then people fault him for not following team orders! What a joke! He should have not only passed Webber, but wrecked him doing it, then jumped up and down on the podium laughing!!

2. MartyF1 said on 27th April 2013, 0:20

Yes nothing like pointing out that those who disagree with you have a “derangement syndrome” to make for rational arguments.

Personally I would warm to Vettel a lot more if someone took the time out to show him how to celebrate with his index finger in the correct fashion. The way he does it is different to how I’ve ever seen it done, and is more in line with a middle finger gesture.

• celeste (@celeste) said on 27th April 2013, 0:28

So your reason to dislike Vettel is his celebration?

He is not saying that everything is due to people hating Vettel; but you can read some comments and some are pretty irrational, to be polite, and when another driver has made the same mistake and his fans choose to ignore it and conden another driver for what they price in their favorite there is no other way to xplained than hate…

• It would help your objection immensely if you made a rational counter-argument instead of complaining about his finger.

• MartyF1 said on 27th April 2013, 16:41

There are lots of things to dislike about the guy, I was just giving an example of one that didn’t make your list then it gets thrown back in my face.

3. MartyF1 said on 27th April 2013, 0:45

My opinion of Vettel is complex and not as simple as a few points on an arbitrary list. When people try to cite reasons for disliking Vettel and give examples, these examples are thrown back in their faces by quoting similar yet not identical situations by other drivers.

Everyone is entitled to make up their own mind about a driver without a swarm of apologists trying to classify them into a single group of disgruntled whingers.

• Kim Philby (@philby) said on 27th April 2013, 0:56

I on the other hand like arbitrary lists. But only for the sake of conversation. I say I don’t like him because I genuinely I don’t like him and I don’t feel the need to justify this to my self. @Jon Sandor raised some points and they were fair. But is this everything about Vettel? of course not because as you said it is much more complex.

• celeste (@celeste) said on 27th April 2013, 1:00

MartyF1 @philby fair enough. If you don´t like someone nothing can be done.

But at least there most be a level of “justice”. If driver A does something and his fans price him as the best thing that have walked under the sun; and then driver B does the same, but get called names, to say the least, you can´t put weight an take their opinions seriously…

• MartyF1 said on 27th April 2013, 16:45

I don’t think anyone can sensibly make an argument that Vettel isn’t an extremely talented driver. For some people that’s all that matters, but not for me.

• TMF (@tmf42) said on 27th April 2013, 10:10

I think the difference is the 2fold support. In football you support a team. In F1 you usually support a team and a driver and whenever somebody chooses to switch teams a F1 fan could find himself in the odd position to cheer for a guy they previously trashed – the oddness is nothing more than a coping mechanism.

4. Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 27th April 2013, 1:17

I take back everything I said about Christian Horner being a poor manager. He’s clearly convinced Sebastian Vettel that his success is his and his alone, and not the product of favouritism from within the team.

• othertales said on 27th April 2013, 12:35

Indeed!

• I’m sure you wrote a lengthy and thoughtful post expounding on how exactly you think Seb’s success is due to “favoritism from within the team” but the computer unfortunate ate it.

• mnmracer (@mnmracer) said on 27th April 2013, 14:34

Obviously.
      It’s not like you have to take one line out of context, and ignore all the praise Vettel gives to the team every team, to come to that conclusion

Oh wait…

• David-A (@david-a) said on 29th April 2013, 18:06

Tell me then @prisoner-monkeys , why a driver might get favoured in the first place, or why you feel that Vettel’s success was handed to him, while everyone else earned their wins?

5. fangio85 (@fangio85) said on 27th April 2013, 1:38

Trash talking vettel makes you look as silly as trash talking Alonso imo. They are both excellent drivers, they are also both very intelligent, and I find it funny reading comments that try to make either of them look any less. I must be in the minority that respects and likes them both. It’s ridiculous to say who else would win the wdc with vettels red bull, of course he’s had dominant cars, so did Alonso when he won back to back titles. Ayrton senna also had dominant cars, as did schumacher, and indeed the majority of world champions. I am a ferrari fan, I support my favourite team, but I judge drivers on performance, not what colour their car is. I have a lot of respect for vettel, as I do for Alonso, and indeed Hamilton and raikkonen.

• TMF (@tmf42) said on 27th April 2013, 10:07

I’m with you on that one. It’s one of the most competitive field of drivers I can remember. While I’m more of a RBR fan, I enjoy watching VETs, ALOs, HAMs, RAIs racing craft immensely and whoever wins deserved it.

6. Only after Vettel ends his career he will possibly see the full picture as it stands he knows that is RBR star.

• mnmracer (@mnmracer) said on 27th April 2013, 14:36

Odd. I don’t remember Jim Clark as Lotus star.
      They say ignorance is a bliss, but it’s times like this I can appreciate the complexity of life.

7. Neel Jani (@neelv27) said on 27th April 2013, 7:14

I have a doubt.

During the press conference before this year’s Chinese GP, a journo asked Seb that was the win in Malaysia a payback for Brazil 2012?

Seb replied, “Probably you could indirectly say so. I never had support from his side. In terms of my relationship with Mark, I respect him a lot as a racing driver but I think there was more than one occasion in the past when he could have helped the team but didn’t”

Isn’t that contradicting?

• F1fanNL (@) said on 28th April 2013, 22:11

@neelv27

No. He’s just saying he thinks it’s odd for Webber to expect help from him when he has never received help from Webber.

8. AndrewMansell (@andrewmansell) said on 27th April 2013, 8:11

LOL!

9. maxthecat said on 27th April 2013, 12:03

Sorry Seb, but pretty much all your victories have been handed to you. You’ve had easily the best car for years.

• F1fanNL (@) said on 28th April 2013, 22:11

Keep telling yourself that.

• Robbie (@robbie) said on 29th April 2013, 17:57

Virtually every time, the WDC has the WCC winning car, and if not, then it is a car that is a very close second place car in the WCC. That doesn’t mean the WDC didn’t have to earn his title and not squander the package he had, not buckle to pressure, not buckle to competitors on the track. He still has to take the tools he is given and convert that to Championship winning points.

But to say he doesn’t want it handed to him after asking the team to have MW move over for him, is entirely hypocritical and hardly feels like a Champion going after hard-fought honourably-gained points toward a title. MW was fighting hard and going by the team strategy too.

10. Carl Craven said on 27th April 2013, 12:34

Seriously Sebastian? While I don’t doubt your ability, you have had pretty much the best car on the grid for several years (this year being an exception as it’s much closer) It doesn’t get any easier than that in F1.

• 2011 yes, 2010 yes (despite the reliability issues) 2012 not the fastest and 2009 the Brawn was too dominant initially. So “handed to him” is a major misjudgement.

11. iAltair (@ialtair) said on 27th April 2013, 18:29

Here we go again, all the comments with Vettel having the best car.

So where the heck is Mark Webber?

• xjr15jaaag (@xjr15jaaag) said on 27th April 2013, 19:52

Didn’t you hear?
      Red Bull clearly made Marks car a whole 5 seconds per lap slower by taking a jackhammer to the innards of the car, and they put a bomb in it; the agreement is that if he beats vettel, they set the bomb on a timer so he can reverse his decision.

• Makana (@makana) said on 28th April 2013, 12:55

I believe that!
        But seriously, the faster car argument is falling apart. When asked who was his toughest team mate to beat ever; Nico Rosberg said Mark Webber, and Nico is not slouch next to Lewis these days, so do the math people… or actually, where’s my tin foil hat…

12. Ron (@rcorporon) said on 28th April 2013, 20:44

At the end of the day it doesn’t really matter what Seb says because the haters won’t agree and fans will still back him.

Great article though and it was nice to see Seb speaking a bit more frankly this time.