Hamilton: “No one controls me” after leaving McLaren

F1 Fanatic round-up

Lewis Hamilton, Ron Dennis, McLaren, Interlagos, 2008In the round-up: Lewis Hamilton says no one “controls” him now he has left McLaren.

Links

Your daily digest of F1 news, views, features and more.

Free at last: How Mercedes switch has left Lewis Hamilton relaxed and ready to win again (Daily Mirror)

Hamilton talks about how he feels free of the control exerted by his father and Ron Dennis, and refers to an incident three years ago where “in my personal life I was having someone saying things to me which was really affecting me… and unfortunately, it did affect me”.

Fernley: Gains hard to find (Sky)

“Apart from McLaren, who we know will come back and be as strong as always, for the rest of the teams there is not much left in these cars as they are today.”

Renault: no backing off for V6 switch (Autosport)

Renault Sport F1 deputy manging director Rob White: “We are very conscious that all the teams we currently supply expect us to be fully engaged and committed. I strongly believe that it needs to be business as usual on the race track in 2013.”

Bouris facing judgment, too (The Age)

“Some time in 2012, Delta Topco’s shareholding structure changed. The individual shareholders disappeared from the register and the company now has four times as many shares on issue, held in the names of a bewildering assortment of funds associated with CVC, JPMorgan, US vulture fund BlackRock, asset managers Waddell & Reed and insurer MassMutual.”

Vettel and Webber ‘will clash again’ (BBC)

John Watson: “I think the team have shown incredible weakness by not penalising their number one driver and they have now created a rod for their own back.”

Lewis Hamilton explains how an F1 steering wheel works (F1 Fanatic via YouTube)

Tweets

Comment of the day

Sonia Luff has a particular reason to support Jack Harvey in GP3 this year:

I?m following Jack Harvey as he is a local boy for me. I don?t know him well personally but have met him at a friend’s house. He seems like a good lad and is really focused on his career.
Sonia Luff (@Sonia54)

From the forum

Happy birthday!

Happy birthday to Peter Dixon!

On this day in F1

Mike Spence lost his life on this day in 1968. He had taken over Jim Clark’s entry for the Indianapolis, Clark having lost his life earlier that year.

Spence was struck on the head by a wheel from his car after hitting the wall during practice at the speedway.

He had finished on the podium in Mexico three years earlier. Over the next two seasons Spence scored a series of fifth place finishes in a Reg Parnell-run Lotus and later for BRM at the wheel of their chronically unreliable H16-engined car.

Image ?? McLaren/Hoch Zwei

132 comments on Hamilton: “No one controls me” after leaving McLaren

1. Sankalp Sharma (@sankalp88) said on 7th May 2013, 0:19

It’s good that Hamilton has completely moved away from Mclaren. But it really would do him no harm to show some restraint when talking about Ron Dennis. Yes Dennis is a bit of a control-freak, but he’s also the man responsible for putting Hamilton in Mclaren.

• Traverse (@) said on 7th May 2013, 3:28

Better to be a free ant than a caged lion.

• celeste (@celeste) said on 7th May 2013, 4:33

@hellotraverse cute. But he will be and an anonymous ant, with out those nice $60MILLIONS, that pretty private plane and his pop star girlfriend… maybe a little gratitud and to say something nice about his old team; instead to repeat that McLarean is the F1 equivalent of Guantanmo

• paulguitar (@paulguitar) said on 7th May 2013, 5:43

@celeste

When will these kinds of comments stop? It is if you think Hamilton was used as some kind of social experiment, and needs to be eternally grateful. Perhaps you could try watching some of his karting performances in the early days. McLaren owe him at least as much as he owes them. Maybe it is time to quit with this tired, repetitive nonsense?

• celeste (@celeste) said on 7th May 2013, 5:50

@paulguitar the thing is I don´t see anyone in McLaren speaking ill of Hamilton, and saying how happy they are about don´t have to worry about what they drivers tweet anymore; and gratefulness doesn´t have a date of expiration. At least I was taught that you don´t bite the hand that fed you, not now not ever. I´m getting a little tired about his speech. So I´m not buying his “brand”.

• Rooney (@rojov123) said on 7th May 2013, 6:49

@celeste Are you suggesting that he should have stayed at Mclaren, closeting all his frustrations and ? Lewis Hamilton moving away from Mclaren is almost the same as each and everyone of us who moves out of our parent’s houses when we grow up, facing challenges that life throws at us. He was brought up by Mclaren. Just like how your parents raised you. When you are ready to be independent, you move out. That’s what humans do. Deal with it!

• Sankalp Sharma (@sankalp88) said on 7th May 2013, 7:00

@rojov123

“Lewis Hamilton moving away from Mclaren is almost the same as each and everyone of us who moves out of our parent’s houses when we grow up, facing challenges that life throws at us.”

Yes, that’s absolutely right. But to add to that, just because you move out from your parents’ house doesn’t mean you have to be a **** to them later!

• celeste (@celeste) said on 7th May 2013, 7:16

@rojov123 Have I say that Hamilton should have stay in Mclaren? No.
            Yes, he is at every right to move to another country, team, or planet.

But instead to “Yes I leave McLaren because it was hell in earth, and poor Hami couldn’t tweet about me and my teammate telemetry or record a rap hit song becaiuse they wouldn’t let me” ; he couldn be thankfull and respectfull and say “yes I leave McLaren because I wanted another challange. McLarean is a great team and I thankfull for all the years they suported my career”.
            Because I’m pretty sure even by being good at karting there not a lot of chances to get to F1, even more to get to a top team with out previous experience.

• Rooney (@rojov123) said on 7th May 2013, 8:20

@sankalp88 @celeste Are you guys serious? You are taking his words completely out of context. Celeste, when you were living with your parents, were you allowed to do whatever you want? House party, drinking, bringing home fellas for one night stands…etc? I think not! But after you move into a new place that is not a controlled environment, you can! Hamilton’s words are similar to what you might say to your friend “Whew, I am so glad I am out of my parents house now. I am a free bird and I can do whatever I want. My dad wont be able to tell me what to do/wear/eat/… anymore..Awesome!!” . If you don’t say that, then there is definitely something wrong with you.
            I have heard every single one of my friends say something along those lines after they move. But, I have never heard anyone say. “My parents brought me up with a lot of love all these years and I am now grateful to them for being there to help me get ready for new challenges like this in life.
            He has respect and gratitude. But, he doesn’t have to show it each and every single time. Cheers

• John H (@john-h) said on 7th May 2013, 8:21

I agree with @celeste ,I don’t think its great to keep criticising former emloyers in public, especially Ron who gave him so much. Having said that, I’d rather this than him not talk at all.

• F1 Noob (@noob) said on 7th May 2013, 12:39

@celeste your comment is COTD for me… Loved your counter argument of ant against lion.. Keep it up..

• OmarR-Pepper (@omarr-pepper) said on 7th May 2013, 15:55

Hamilton’s words are similar to what you might say to your friend

@rojov123 you can say it to your friends, not to the media. He is a media figure, but he should learn, in his “independent and mature” self, what politeness is. I agree with @celeste and @john-h . He can rap, party, that’s great, but why ranting about “old papa” Dennis publicly?

• Mike (@mike) said on 7th May 2013, 19:12

@omarr-pepper

It seems very strange that as a fan of the series you are asking for more self censorship! O.o

• kbdavies (@kbdavies) said on 7th May 2013, 13:23

@hellotraverse – But he certainly can never be as anonymous as you are. See.

• MaroonJack (@maroonjack) said on 7th May 2013, 13:37

@celeste
          Actually Hamilton spoke very positively about his former team on more than one occasion, but whenever he says something even slightly critical, then boy oh boy… you people surely know how to blow it out of proportions!

• JCost (@jcost) said on 7th May 2013, 14:47

I think @celeste read the wrong interview.

• Traverse (@) said on 7th May 2013, 15:09

@jcost
            I think @celeste has a crush on Hamilton and is jealous of Nicole. ;)

• celeste (@celeste) said on 7th May 2013, 16:16

@maroonjack Yeah, I kind of like consistency. And I´m pretty loyal person (blame it on my dad). If you are gonna talk about a past boss, you should be thankful always, not some times.

@jcost Not, I read the right one. But I will coincide that anyone should be entitle to their own opinión and interpretation.

@hellotraverse as much as it is fun to blame it on my sentimental life, it isn´t so. But I will admit I dislike Nicole, but it is because she can´t sing the right notes to sabe her life and she was in a group with the Word “pussy” on it.

Now I need to work… So have fun…

• Mike (@mike) said on 7th May 2013, 19:13

In @celeste defense you need to keep in mind the context of the comment he was replying to I think.

• celeste (@celeste) said on 7th May 2013, 20:56

@mike My hero…. ;)

• jimscreechy (@) said on 8th May 2013, 7:13

Sorry have to agree with @Celeste on this one, I read the whole article and he didn’t speak derogatorily about Ron Dennis in any way. It was an honest representation of who Ron is and how he runs his business, what, is this disputed or is it the simple fact he’s said this which is ticking people off?

In fact I struggle to interpret it in the way some of you have. I am nothing but a great admirer of Ron Dennis and cringe when I hear him spoke of in a bad light but this was a testiment of the man’s strength of character and some of the possible downsides in dealing with characteristics like this. I mean he capares his character to that of his father in a very level headed way, I can’t see the issue. Are some of you suggesting that to do anything other than praise someone unreservedly in an unrealistic glow of angelic reverence shows a lack of repect? Ridiculous.

• zicasso (@zicasso) said on 7th May 2013, 19:39

@celeste
          This article is clearly aimed at people who don’t like the guy and to steer arguments vs/against who does. And, that never fails…
          Journalists know that people have a tendency to create a storm every time, assess and criticise LH beyond reason i.e. private jet, girlfriend when he is, allegedly, simply expressing his opinion about his previous employer. You are definitely entitled to your opinion, and of course, as a fan I would like to think I am being fair. I have not seen him make a bad comment on TV about McLaren since he left. He knows Ron better than any of us and we can only assume they still have a reasonably good relationship. Do you think he (LH) would go to daily Mirror and destroy that and call him a control freak?

• tmax (@tmax) said on 8th May 2013, 2:13

@celeste It is very sad that lewis is always at the receiving end of this story. I mean everybody says how Ron and Mclaren gave him a a life and it is because of Mclaren that he is who he is today. Please keep in mind Ron Dennis was not running any charity. Ron is a smart individual. he saw the talent early on and he grabbed it before somebody else could grab it. It was just a matter of time that such talent can be kept under wraps. One can always say it is because of Mclaren he is a world champion. Out of the 5 WDC today on the grid everybody except vettel drove for mclaren and only Lewis could be a WDC with Mclaren. In fact Lewis was the only guy who could give them a WDC in the last 14 years. The Great Newey was there for Kimi at Mclaren. How many time should Lewis keep thanking Ron and Mclaren ? Just because Ron gave him a chance does not mean that he is obligated life long. Lewis has given enough credit to Ron and co during these years. Again ask Newey, Prost, Senna, Alonso, Kimi , Montoyo how they felt in Mclaren !!!!

At least for once people should think what Lewis have given to Mclaren instead of parroting the message what Mclaren and Ron has done to Lewis.

• mantresx (@mantresx) said on 7th May 2013, 6:13

I guess he’s not planning to go back to Mclaren anymore. Remember how he said to keep the door open? How things change.

• anon said on 7th May 2013, 8:28

He owes nothing to Ron Dennis. He was put in the McLaren seat because they felt he was the right guy for the job. He clearly was because he matched the double world champion Alonso in the same machinery immediately.

2. Calum (@calum) said on 7th May 2013, 0:21

Dammit Lewis, I wanted to know which button sets Multi 21!

3. Journeyer (@journeyer) said on 7th May 2013, 0:43

I was there at the Manila Speed Show! :) Great experience. They should’ve gotten Stockinger’s Twitter account right though! It’s @imstockinger.

4. Kimi4WDC said on 7th May 2013, 1:19

Random Pirelli rant with regards to their change of compound for Spain, compare to previous years:

I think Pirelli don’t care about racing it self. They succeeded in their marketing raid on F1. Everyone by now heard of Pirelli and even teams wont stop talking about them. Pirelli is a sole sponsor who is being mentioned on TV all the time.

They are not in sport for competition, if they were, they would been developing their tyres to give more grip and last longer at the same time.

It is sad, but I have to agree with pessimists, that this is hardly sport now.

One thing I’m sure 100% about Pirelli is, that due to their lack of character (they should be deciding what tyres F1 should be using, not F1), you will never see this brand of tyres on my car.

• Nick.UK (@) said on 7th May 2013, 1:48

Sure, everyone is talking about Pirelli. But is it all positive? What good does generating negative talk do them, so your argument that they only want to promote themselves falls flat on its face at the first hurdle. Also why should FOM not have control over the type of tyres in its sport/business? Pirelli are like a building contractor, they do what the client asks them. It’s the same thing here.

While I’m not a huge fan of the 2013 tyres myself, I can’t see your comment as anything more than a misunderstanding of why Pirelli has made the tyres the way they are.

• Kimi4WDC said on 7th May 2013, 4:17

I’m sorry, I though I did not have to write it out in an essay. I think pretty much everyone here can fill the gaps between the line as we all follow the same thing. Of course there is plenty of negative, when does that become an obsolete PR campaign? Considering size of the company compare to other three recent suppliers, I dont think management accounting department at Pirelli think negative factor is doing them any greater harm than good.

I don’t mind rules, but when something fundamental being used as a tool – this is where I’m jumping off the wagon for exiting racing and diversity of strategies.

As I said many time before when I was defending them last year and this year. I don’t have any issue with them creating the tires with certain specifications. But when they further start playing with the tyre selection I find it unfair manipulation.

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 7th May 2013, 7:30

– if they would do that, tell me, who would they be competing with Kimi4WDC?

• Kimi4WDC said on 7th May 2013, 10:07

For the same reason as any other participant of the sport. To push yourself beyond limit. Which is of course not the case, hence the whole situation I’m ranting about.

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 7th May 2013, 11:16

that’s not sport, that’s training yourself. Or setting a world record. It becomes a sport when you can win over others doing the same.

And Pirelli are doing it by matching the challenge the FIA/teams set them by asking for “races like the 2010 Canadian GP”.

• anon said on 7th May 2013, 8:29

Pirelli are under instruction by the FIA to create a these tyres. Pay attention.

• Kimi4WDC said on 7th May 2013, 10:08

So are tams and everyone involved to obey rule set. Your point?

• anon said on 7th May 2013, 14:11

The point is, Pirelli are building the product that they are being pushed to design by the FIA and FOM instead of what they themselves might have designed were they given greater flexibility. Bernie himself has spoken out on the tyres and made it clear that he wants Pirelli to continue their current policy, and one would presume that he is exerting his political influence in private as well as in public to keep things as they are.

Equally, going to the other extreme, as Bridgestone did, might not necessarily work either – Bridgestone noted that, since they ended up being taken for granted, that in the end they only hit the headlines when their tyres failed to work as expected. Remember the extreme knee jerk reaction from the teams back in 2009 when Bridgestone brought the super soft tyres to Australia and found that their usable life was a lot shorter than expected (even shorter than Pirelli’s tyres were lasting)? Having teams scream about Bridgestone’s super soft tyres being dangerous and unusable hurt their reputation for a long time, since nobody cared that the tyre wear in the following races was negligible by comparison – it was the extreme negative events that people remembered rather than the normal state of affairs, so in the end Bridgestone found that their approach did little to improve their image at all.

• Matt_D said on 8th May 2013, 16:07

Rubbish.

First, it was the FOTA who proposed the specs for the tyre change, not the FIA or the FOM.

Second, the FOTA didn’t give Pirelli any great detailed list of desired changes, all they asked for was less durable tyres, specifically enumerating an ideal of 2-3 pit stops per race. They didn’t ask for a microscopically narrow (and migratory) performance window. Or tonnes of clag. Or that the tyres should be destroyed the first time they were overheated. Pirelli threw those in for no extra charge (a “lagniappe,” as the Cajuns say).

The tonnes of clag was a problem identified in preseason testing in 2011. At the time, Pirelli attributed it to the short lead time on the spec change not allowing for sufficient R&D to eliminate it. Yet here we are more than 40 races on and its still as big a problem as ever.

Third, Pirelli employ professional racing tyre engineers. The FIA, the FOM and the FOTA do not. A proper professional (or subject matter expert) will warn off a client if they naïvely ask for a product that is not suitable for the proposed task. It’s called due diligence. Pirelli have failed in theirs.

The gold standard for racing program tyre support was created by Leo Mehl, who headed Goodyear’s racing division for 33 years, an era in which Goodyear became the dominant tyre supplier to virtually every motor racing venue on the planet, everything from the NHRA to the WKA. In those days, Leo was regarded as the most powerful man in all of motor racing because no sanctioning body using Goodyear tyres could make any rule changes that would alter how the tyres interfaced with the tarmac in any way whatsoever without first consulting with Leo to confirm that Goodyear could support it.

The secret to Goodyear’s success was Leo’s understanding of the true origin of the money they were being paid for their products and services: the fans who’d paid to watch the race. WRC or IMSA or FISA might have been the client, but Leo never lost sight of who really was paying his salary. And his cardinal rule was never to permit his company’s product to fail the fan’s expectations. So Leo didn’t mind telling the client “No” when it was for their own good.

More’s the pity Paul Hembery can’t be more like Leo Mehl and less like P.T. Barnum.

As for Bernie, the chief problem with being an eccentric octogenarian billionaire is that it eventually becomes impossible to tell the difference between bombast and senile dimentia.

5. OmarR-Pepper (@omarr-pepper) said on 7th May 2013, 1:30

Lewis says all these things about freedom, but in the end he was able to show how good he is because of the support of those “control freaks” he talks about. I really hope he can be champion with Mercedes again, or else he would have to swallow his own tongue.

6. OmarR-Pepper (@omarr-pepper) said on 7th May 2013, 2:07

3 weeks seem long enough to see that comment (and it’s a good comment, but…) chosen COTD.

It’s envy I have never got one :P

7. Traverse (@) said on 7th May 2013, 2:23

Lewis definitely appears to have found himself after spending all of his professional career under the command of Dennis. It’s comparable to when a child leaves home, they’ll either prosper and go from strength to strength, or end up running home with their tail between their legs. From what I’ve witnessed, I don’t see Ham ever rejoining McLaren, leaving them was clearly the best move of his F1 career thus far.

• OmarR-Pepper (@omarr-pepper) said on 7th May 2013, 2:33

got stressed of cars breaking down. Now his cars last, but let’s see what opinion he gives after this year. He might now win any races, especially now, that the group of top teams has risen to 5 (McLaren will recover for sure, Lotus, Ferrari, RedBull and Mercedes itself). So if he has to challenge 10 drivers (looks like Nico is not going to bother, after Malaysia we know that) it will definitely be harder to win.

8. Yappy said on 7th May 2013, 3:31

Who is this John Watson and why is he still voicing over past events. Why penalize your leading point scorer? He did not cost the team fines or points. We do not know what has been said behind closed doors. Maybe Webber has first choice of upgrades now, maybe Vettel donated the prize money to Webbers charity. Does it really matter anymore? Webber and Vettel have clashed before and they will clash again. It is the nature of a hungry driver. If John Watson is so needy of attention then he should become a team principle and show us how it is done.

• celeste (@celeste) said on 7th May 2013, 4:17

Here is an idea, lets send all the old drivers to a island and let them fight Hunger Games/ Battle Royale style and made it a reality tv show, they will have attention and we can get over this subject… ;)

• uan (@uan) said on 7th May 2013, 4:18

One bit that seems to be missing from the Malaysia story is that Dieter M doesn’t want team orders. Everyone talks about Vettel breaking team orders and how the WCC is the most important thing, but DM is the guy writing the hundreds of millions of dollars of checks every year, and as he made clear all the way back in 2010, he’d rather lose a championship (the WDC one at the time) they have team orders.

Yet Horner/Newey/RBR go against THEIR boss quite often issuing team orders. And for all those saying the WCC really matters to the team, I think the only thing that matters is what matters to the team owner. And he doesn’t want team orders. Bad for the brand image.

• anon said on 7th May 2013, 8:34

He’s just continuing the tradition of Brits critcising German drivers.

It’s ridiculous that Red Bull weren’t giving Vettel their full support since he’s the reason for three championships in a row. John Watson doesn’t seem to understand that Vettel and Newey are the only people that truly matter in that team. Vettel can veto anything Horner has to say.

9. MB (@muralibhats) said on 7th May 2013, 4:07

Without Ron, Hamilton was nothing. What a way to pay back the respect.

• -1

Without Ron, Hamilton was nothing?, without Hamilton, McLarens last title was when sorry?

• RamboII said on 7th May 2013, 17:31

In 2008, scored by Alonso who would have been a four time world champion.

• anon said on 8th May 2013, 14:56

But Alonso got matched in his first season by a rookie, and given that Hamilton improved in his second season Alonso would have been blown away by Hamilton.

Alonso had his opportunity to make history in the best machinery in 2007 but he failed to even beat a first year driver.

Maybe 2014 will be Alonso’s year.

• MB (@muralibhats) said on 7th May 2013, 17:38

Lol. How could Ham win championship if he was not allowed into McLaren! That too start a rookie season with a top team!

• Traverse (@) said on 7th May 2013, 17:53

A driver as talented as Hamilton would’ve made it to F1 one way or another. It’s like saying Messi would be nothing without Barcelona.

• MB (@muralibhats) said on 8th May 2013, 14:00

I never said Hamilton is not talented enough to come to F1. maybe the ‘nothing’ was too harsh. Who has the fortune Hamilton enjoyed to be mentored by Ron from the age of 13?

• Traverse (@) said on 8th May 2013, 19:21

@muralibhats
          How many 10 year olds have the balls to walk up to a man like Ron Dennis and display such supreme confidence and have the talent to back it up, that a top team like McLaren feel compelled to sign him. Hamilton made his own “fortune”, and paved his own destiny. If McLaren hadn’t signed him another top team would’ve.

10. Chris (@tophercheese21) said on 7th May 2013, 4:07

You left Mclaren to be free like a butterfly… We get it. Stop telling us.

Lewis is my favourite driver, but we get the point.

• celeste (@celeste) said on 7th May 2013, 4:14

You left Mclaren to be free like a butterfly… We get it. Stop telling us

WORD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Traverse (@) said on 7th May 2013, 4:27

Maybe journalists should stop asking him about McLaren/Ron Dennis.

• Rooney (@rojov123) said on 7th May 2013, 8:24

• GeeMac (@geemac) said on 7th May 2013, 9:30

That is exactly the point.

In the three week gap between races the journos need something to write about, so rehashing a story about Hamilton’s move to Mercedes is as good a story as any because it will get a fair amount of hits. He gets asked questinos, he answers them. It’s not his if we get bored of the answer!

• Damien Blackman (@hyakuyagami) said on 7th May 2013, 11:34

That’s exactly it, the journalist know this is a question with answers to get tongues wagging and will keep asking it.
        It’s obvious Hamilton wasn’t totally happy at Mclaren or he’d still be there. So obviously some negative point will be brought up when he is asked anything along the line of “What’s better about life at Mercedes than at Mclaren”.
        Anything he says in such a situation will cast Mclaren in a negative light in some form or fashion.

• Journeyer (@journeyer) said on 7th May 2013, 12:54

@hellotraverse But it’s still Lewis answering it. He can answer it while showing due respect to Ron. It would’ve been nice if he looked forward more than looked back. :)

• Traverse (@) said on 7th May 2013, 13:12

I’d rather have a brutally honest, ‘what you see is what you get’ Hamilton, than a ‘I better watch what I say because it might affect the way people perceive me’ Button. :)

• Oople said on 7th May 2013, 14:07

I’d rather have an honest but considerate Hamilton.
            What’s your point?

• Traverse (@) said on 7th May 2013, 14:36

What’s your point?

People complain daily that there are no honest people in society anymore. People in powerful positions protect their false reputations by taking out super-injunctions, politicians/celebrities lying left right and centre etc. But then when a guy like Lewis wears his heart on his sleeve and actually says how he really feels, people have a go at him. That’s my point. :)

• bull mello (@bullmello) said on 7th May 2013, 16:03

He is out of control!

More racing and less talking is better. But, when they’re not racing, what else is there to do? Inquiring minds want to know.

Seriously, it is good to see both sides helped each other, but they have moved on. Let’s go racing!

11. Abdurahman (@) said on 7th May 2013, 5:02

Hamilton is a free man. He is in no way controlled by Mercedes AMG, Petronas, Puma, Monster Energy Drink, Blackberry, etc etc etc etc…..
    I always root for Ham, but this is getting to be too much. Shut up already and drive man! If anything it is just tacky to keep hearing these comments from him. Just wait till you have your autobiography written or your memoirs or whatnot.

12. wsrgo (@wsrgo) said on 7th May 2013, 5:14

Harvey’s a pretty good driver, but I don’t think he’ll be a championship contender in GP3 this year. He’s generally been the slowest of the ART’s in pre-season testing behind Daly and Regalia. 2012 will be a learning year for him.

13. AdrianMorse (@adrianmorse) said on 7th May 2013, 5:48

Annoying to see that the forum and F1Fanatic live is being abused by people (bots?) advertising streams.

On John Watson, Red Bull have stated that there won’t be any more team orders, so there is no need to control either drivers. Webber and Vettel have demonstrated often enough that they can race safely (Turkey 2010 being the only incident in four years as team mates), so there won’t be any need to control the drivers. The only problems in the RBR garage might be the chily relationship between Webber and Vettel, but I think they’ll make it to the end of the year together.

• Kimi4WDC said on 7th May 2013, 6:16

Though I agree with your annoyance. The streams are the only reason why I’m back to watching F1 since 2003. I watched nearly every free practice session for last two and a half years. During that time I saw just one race on TV, due to lack of internet access.

I don’t understand how FOM justifies all the revenue they missing on by not going with global live streaming with on demand replays and other fancy features they can plug into it. Even if it was a $15 monthly fee they would be better off, not counting on all the sponsors.

Sad thing it’s not the matter of Bernie retiring, but finding a new leader to replace him who can stop giving away control to all the stake holders who can never agree on anything.

• MilleniumBug (@milleniumbug) said on 7th May 2013, 6:35

If only F1 could be streamed like WEC Spa..

• AdrianMorse (@adrianmorse) said on 7th May 2013, 8:50

Indeed, it’s a real shame there is no legal streaming. I also use streams on occasion, mostly for practice sessions, but it really feels like you’re heading into the seedier parts of the internet. Afterwards I always find a few windows hiding behind my main browser window, advertising online gambling at best, though more commonly scantily-clad women making indecent proposals. It makes me feel I should hide the screen from my wife and children when I want to watch free practice one.

The amount of spam sent to the F1Fanatic forums today is another example that the people offering the streams are not very pleasant. It’s not the occasional “would you be interested in my stream” type of message, but rather a screen-filling intrusion that makes it hard to view any proper content.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 7th May 2013, 16:21

@adrianmorse Sorry about the spam problem – the forum has been cleaned up.

Of course any assistance from those who’d like to help out as moderators is welcome:

14. mikkomixxx (@mikkomix) said on 7th May 2013, 7:39

I was present at the Manila Speed Show. The first time you hear an F1 car is certainly unforgettable.
    Props to Lotus F1 team for bringing the experience to the Philippines.

Here are some fan videos I took from the event. The speed of the car is unbelievable, I can’t follow with phone camera LOL

Lotus F1 Engine Start

Lotus F1 Flyby at the Mall of Asia

Lotus F1 2 Seater Demo Car

15. smudgersmith1 (@smudgersmith1) said on 7th May 2013, 7:46

reference the development curve of these cars, be great to see McLaren ,slowly reeling them in and maybe catching and overtaking the big guns as the season closes, cmon JB !!!

• dodge5847 (@dodge5847) said on 7th May 2013, 9:55

As a JB fan, I am kind of tempted of putting a little bet on as I am sure the odds are really good, however I don’t see me/him winning.

• beneboy (@beneboy) said on 7th May 2013, 23:37

@dodge5847
        JB is 20-1 to win in Spain, 50-1 to get pole position and 50-1 to win the WDC (McLaren have the same odds for the WCC) at Ladbrokes. That’s pretty big odds but I suspect they’re also quite representative of JB’s chances, even with some pretty good upgrades I can see him struggling this season.

(Apologies for shamelessly promoting the company I work for :-) )