2013 Spanish Grand Prix grid

*Three-place penalty for impeding Kimi Raikkonen

2013 Spanish Grand Prix

Browse all 2013 Spanish Grand Prix articles

Image ?é?® Daimler/Hoch Zwei

67 comments on 2013 Spanish Grand Prix grid

1. Osvaldas31 (@osvaldas31) said on 11th May 2013, 14:04

Mercedes have great chances to finish in top10 tomorrow!

2. Rigi (@rigi) said on 11th May 2013, 14:05

doubt we’ll see either of the mercedes on the podium, they’re only quick over one lap and lack a lot of race pace!

3. Eggry (@eggry) said on 11th May 2013, 14:05

the Q2 lap from Hamilton was really stunning but never repeat in Q3…What was that? sort of magic window? Whatever, Mercedes took front rows. Still their tyre management is in doubt so I would consider Vettel, Kimi, Alonso as contenders.

4. OmarR-Pepper (@omarr-pepper) said on 11th May 2013, 14:08

Perez beat Button Ooooooooooh!!! something happened? I couldn’t see the quali :(

5. Pinaki (@pinaki) said on 11th May 2013, 14:09

Mercedes just getting better and better. Wouldn’t be surprised if they manage to get both their cars in the podium tomorrow. GO LEWIS!!!

• Traverse (@) said on 11th May 2013, 14:11

Agreed, a fantastic performance from Mercedes. Hopefully they’ve improved their race pace. *fingers crossed*

• Nick (@nick101) said on 11th May 2013, 15:11

I’m sorry, but how is this a fantastic performance? It’s the 3rd pole for Merc so far this season and we’ve only at race 5.

If they actually manage to not lose 3-6 places during the race as has been the norm, then that would be an impressive performance.

• Traverse (@) said on 11th May 2013, 17:20

@nick101
          I would say 3 pole positions out of 5 races is pretty fantastic, especially when you consider how poor Merc were last year. There race pace isn’t quite there (yet) but they’ve definitely made significant progress.

• Nick (@nick101) said on 11th May 2013, 17:25

Like I said, which you don’t seem to have quite picked up on, they have had 2 other pole positions so far this season which have translated into exactly zero wins.

How you can conclude that they have made significant progress based simply on the fact that they have achieved another pole position is quite beyond me.

As I also said, if they get through tomorrows race without losing between 3-6 positions, then we can assume they’ve made some progress. Until then, all they have to cheer about is the Saturday afternoon glory – sadly not where you win any points and hardly significant in this day and age of F1.

• Neel Jani (@neelv27) said on 12th May 2013, 9:09

@nick101: What he means is the quali performance to which I agree.

6. Illusive (@illusive) said on 11th May 2013, 14:10

Watch out for Hamilton vs Vettel at race start, should be pretty interesting first few laps.

7. Ivan B (@njoydesign) said on 11th May 2013, 14:12

I really didnt see the Mercedes front row lockout coming… wow.

• MagillaGorilla (@magillagorilla) said on 11th May 2013, 16:16

@njoydesign, though they are the team I pull for…I too didn’t put them in my prediction (bar Hamilton to finish P4), but instead went with Ferrari for front row. We should have known better thanks to the past 3 qualifying alone…oh dear, wont make that mistake at Monaco.

8. wsrgo (@wsrgo) said on 11th May 2013, 14:13

Alonso underqualifies the car yet again, and this time, Massa follows suit. As for Webber, the less said, the better…

• puneeth Bharath (@puneethvb) said on 11th May 2013, 14:16

ohh Yeah…. even if he was on pole you would probably say the same :P … I thought he got 5th because MW and RG qualified poorly else he would’ve been 7th..

• Sri Harsha (@harsha) said on 11th May 2013, 14:28

I dis agree about Ferrari and Alonso he did what he could. Mark was Under perfomed in Q3 and Q2 in my View but he can make up that in race with Better TIRE MANAGEMENT

• Gaz said on 11th May 2013, 14:29

Have you missed the previous four races? The Ferrari isn’t considered a particularly strong qualifying car – it’s certainly not bad, but it’s not phenomenal. Even a qualifying specialist like Hamilton would probably only get an extra tenth or so out of it at most during Qualifying; which in this case would put Alonso 4th on the dirtier side of the grid. 5th and 6th is a decent effort given the qualifying calibre of the cars and drivers ahead.

• Max Jacobson (@vettel1) said on 11th May 2013, 15:10

I thought the Ferrari was looking to be on par with the Red Bull personally, so the fact Vettel beat him could be interpreted as Alonso therefore having under-performed.

• puneeth Bharath (@puneethvb) said on 11th May 2013, 18:14

I thought Redbull and Lotus were gonna be the quickest in qualifying… but Mercs have locked out the front row… maybe Vettel and Kimi underperformed… :P
        Just being sarcastic…
        Seriously though I dont think Alonso under performed in qualifying… Ferrari were not fast enough on a single lap respective to Merc, Redbull and Lotus… IMO webber and Romain both had poor Q3 laps and that gave Alonso a couple of places on the grid …
        That was a mighty lap from Nico considering he was 2 tenths faster than hamilton… and Vettel did pretty well to qualify ahead of Kimi….
        Looking forward to the race, I have a feeling that it will be between Vettel and Alonso for the win and Kimi and Hamilton for 3rd…

• Atticus (@atticus-2) said on 11th May 2013, 15:18

Here’s the bang. The combined best of the Ferraris’ are actually better for both Alonso and Massa. Strange. Could have been caught out by the sudden drop in track temp in Q3.

• Toto said on 12th May 2013, 1:08

Yeah right. He underaualified again and yet beat his trammate once again. And yes he underaualified massively once again even though we know that his setup is always for the race and thinking of race pace while other drivers in front of him are going for the glory and the points on Saturday .

9. Aimal (@aimalkhan) said on 11th May 2013, 14:13

Disappointing show from Ferrari.. Was expecting them to be higher up the grid.

10. WilliamB (@william-brierty) said on 11th May 2013, 14:13

1:20.7 with four races worth of R and D, plus full commitment and 0.6 seconds lower than Hamilton in testing. I simply don’t understand that.

• Calum (@calum) said on 11th May 2013, 14:18

It’ll probably be tyres?

Softer (faster) tyre used in testing?

• brny666 said on 11th May 2013, 14:29

This has been going on for years now. There must be many reasons, colder air gives more engine power is sure to be one of them. The tire also should be more rubbered in by the end of testing, and maybe the cold affects the tire deg but not the one lap performance.

• matt90 (@matt90) said on 11th May 2013, 14:31

The conditions may have been more favourable then, and in testing the track would probably have been far more rubbered in if Hamilton set his time near the end of a test.

• Max Jacobson (@vettel1) said on 11th May 2013, 17:10

@william-brierty softer compounds, a more rubbered-in track and colder temperatures can pretty much explain away that deficit. The engines would be workit better, the tyres better and I’m not sure but were they using DRS more often?

• WilliamB (@william-brierty) said on 12th May 2013, 10:04

Yeah, that’s it. In testing there were no DRS restrictions, and I think Hamilton set that on the softs. Throw in a bit of extra engine power and it all makes sense, and actually makes 0.6 seconds look relatively small. Thanks, Max.

11. matt90 (@matt90) said on 11th May 2013, 14:14

Very impressive from Rosberg. As a Hamilton fan, I’m finding Rosberg’s speed a little worrying!

12. Guilherme (@guilherme) said on 11th May 2013, 14:22

I wonder, how long until FRIC gets banned? :P

Disclaimer: I’m not saying this as some sort of sore loser Vettel fan, it’s just that I have no faith whatsoever in the FIA after they banned Lotus’ reactive ride height system.

13. Balaji (@armchair-racer) said on 11th May 2013, 14:27

Lotus or Vettel for the win tomorrow. Really disappointing from the Ferrari’s. Perez once again brillant and if I was Button I would be one worried man.

14. Yobo01 (@yobo01) said on 11th May 2013, 14:34

I’d really love to see Rosberg winning tomorrow. He’s not my fauvorite driver, but I think he deserves a good result. Beating Hamilton like that in qualifying was impressive. I just watched the comparison between the two, Rosberg was flying compared to his team mate.

• Damien Blackman (@hyakuyagami) said on 11th May 2013, 14:53

Not disagreeing with you but after Bahrain it seems like Rosberg is chasing a more qualifying-centric setup in general than Hamilton, which is one of the things that was pointed out in the Sky coverage comparison, he loves that loaded up, pointy front end.

I really hope though that both drivers do well in the race. I am more of a Hamilton fan but you can’t really argue with Rosberg’s qualifying recently can you?

15. Sri Harsha (@harsha) said on 11th May 2013, 14:46

Drivers of the day for me : Nico Rosberg , Sergio Perez.
    Honorable Mention :Sebastian Vettel for his Q3 lap to keep him self in contention/

• Max Jacobson (@vettel1) said on 11th May 2013, 15:19

@harsha agreed, and disappointment of the day for me is Perez’s teammate: Button just wasn’t at one with the car at all, and it showed in his ultimate lap time. It’s especially disappointing considering he had been in the top 10 in every previous race of the season.