Rate the race: 2013 Spanish Grand Prix

2013 Spanish Grand Prix

Mark Webber, Red Bull, Circuit de Cataunya, Barcelona, 2013What did you think of the today’s race? Share your verdict on the Spanish Grand Prix.

Rate the race out of ten and leave a comment below:

Rate the 2013 Spanish Grand Prix out of ten

• 1 (4%)
  • 2 (3%)
  • 3 (6%)
  • 4 (10%)
  • 5 (15%)
  • 6 (18%)
  • 7 (21%)
  • 8 (13%)
  • 9 (5%)
  • 10 (5%)

Total Voters: 778

Loading ... Loading ...

1 = ‘Terrible’, 10 = ‘Perfect’

Do you think F1 has got the balance right with DRS and tyres this year? Have your say here:

See the results for past seasons here:

2013 Spanish Grand Prix

Browse all 2013 Spanish Grand Prix articles

Image ?? Red Bull/Getty

291 comments on Rate the race: 2013 Spanish Grand Prix

1. matt90 (@matt90) said on 12th May 2013, 17:56

I actually found myself turning to my revision during the end of the race. Revision! What has the world come to?

2. andae23 (@andae23) said on 12th May 2013, 17:56

I have to admit… this is the fifth race this year and… every race, apart from the Malaysian one, is now a faint memory. I do remember them, but not for the epic battles I have seen on track, not for the heroic comebacks or champions fighting each other at the absolute maximum of their abilities. I was thinking about it last week and so far the strategic battles have been fascinating, but none of 2013′s races has had that ‘spark’, or ‘X-factor’ to use a fancier word.

When the new rules were introduced a few years back, I liked this new formula: it was exciting, the races were memorable and everything was great. But we’ve had these regulations for a few years now and to be honest, I just want those ‘boring’ races from pre-2009 back.

The tipping point for me were Hamilton’s messages over the board radio and also post-race: it was pathetic listening to a man not enjoying his profession and during the post-race interview, I actually felt sorry for him. He wasn’t enjoying it, I’m sure a lot more drivers aren’t enjoying it and I’m not enjoying it. I think the entertainment should be drivers driving 100% all the time, not 80% – the overtakes that we see should be seen as a ‘bonus’. I’m sure I will enjoy watching 90 minutes of on-board camera shots of this new formula a hell of a lot more than the current formula.

Just one more thing: a few weeks back in one of the ‘rate the race’ articles, a reader said after a very long time of watching he finally decided this wasn’t the formula he has enjoyed watching for so many years. I’m still a relatively young fan but I have to say: F1 really should get her act together if I’m still interested in watching it in five years’ time.

• dkpioe said on 12th May 2013, 18:09

im sure Alonso and Raikonnen enjoyed it. Mercedes have not learnt in 4 years about tyre wear, and have produced a car that is only fast for one lap where tyre wear does not count. Ive watched f1 since 1994 and will watch it forever, i am loving this year! it is so much better then the 2001-2004 schumacher ferrari era where Bridgestone made tyres just for ferrari and ferrari had unlimited testing.

• Must agree to this. I started watching late -70 but got really hooked in the -80. But after some of the MS years I stopped watching and have recently been coming back. Last years first half was the best I’ve seen for ages. Loved it and saw the full season again during the winter.
        I don’t mind if my favorite driver doesn’t do well as long as not the same driver wins every race.

I remember the horrid Trulli Traines as well.

This was a 7 for me.

• andae23 (@andae23) said on 12th May 2013, 18:09

Really looking forward to Monaco by the way.

• In their minds, all drivers can outdrive their engines, tyres, suspension, race-strategies. Doesn’t make it so.

BTW, I absolutely loved the comment by LH “I can’t drive any slower”. Kimi, more over- we have a new tee-shirt caption writer!

• Antonio Nartea (@tony031r) said on 12th May 2013, 18:20

@andae23: If F1 keeps to the same concept, as a series, for another season (and by that, I mean past 2014 with the engine and regulation changes and all) I don’t just see it losing fans but interest from the teams, drivers, sponsors and the lot as well. And with the way ACO are setting up WEC’s future, they might just be the big winners in terms of popularity on both sides (spectators and constructors / drivers’ involvement), in this equation.

Bernie is making a huge mistake by considering F1 infailable as a series, in my opinion…there are world class competitions that have taken a bigger blow for less / that have proven things can go wrong incredibly fast. WRC, MotoGP, WTCC and FIA GT come to mind.

• andae23 (@andae23) said on 12th May 2013, 19:14

@tony031r

Yes, like a house of cards.

Regarding your second paragraph: that’s indeed a very good comparison. F1 is still infailable in a way that I’m sure it will exists as long as the FIA exists, but indeed there will come a point where die-hard F1 fans will say “that’s it, this has gone too far.”

• kbdavies (@kbdavies) said on 12th May 2013, 22:29

Very well said.

• Trido (@trido) said on 13th May 2013, 4:42

Agree 100%. I really never thought I would miss those days.

3. dkpioe said on 12th May 2013, 18:19

i give this race 7/10
    the drs i still dont like, the tyres i love!
    the tyres give this whole new element to f1 – and the team and driver that gets the best out of them still comes out on top. I watch rally and see them with so many more different conditions, ice, gravel, tarmac etc, and think this tyre debacle and moaning is nonsense. the teams just need to get to know the tyres, they did last year as the year went on and they will this year (and mercedes will not as usual!)
    tyre wear is not a new thing in f1, people are just spoilt with recent knowledge, ie the era from 90s to 2000s.the same people complained about processional racing (and threatened to stop watching, but kept watching). Think back to the 80s, download some old races… and you will see this is nothing new with tyre wear. these are world class teams and world class drivers. today we saw a masterclass from a great driver showing up the rest of the field. we do not hear him moaning about tyre problems, because he gets on with the job, analyses and works out how to be the best driver in the situation. last year we saw him often driving a bit slower on purpose, and then speeding up during races, as he read all the elements correctly. there are too many moaners in f1, they need to adapt.

• Lamalas (@lamalas) said on 13th May 2013, 21:17

+1. I am suprised by all the negative comments regarding the tyres. I personally loved the 3-4 stop strategies as it kept the race intresting to follow. Of course not everyone enjoys trying to firgure out who is where, what gap they need to get the strategy working etc. My sister only ever watches the opening lap as is has the highest chance on crashes…

I rewatched the first 2 races of 2005 and I like it so much more the way it is now!
      Overtaking was near impossible and I could just skip to the pitstoprounds. In the current format, the driver has a huge influence on the result. Partially due to the field being close but also because of the challenge the tyres give.

As far as this race goes, it wasn’t my favourite of the year but I enjoyed watching it and wasn’t bored for a moment!

4. Kim Philby (@philby) said on 12th May 2013, 18:43

I went for a seven and let me justify it. I ‘ve been watching since 1985 and I have to say that this era isn’t as bad as it looks. People have short memory, let me remind you SPA 2007. It is the Ferraris 1-2 Mclarens 3-4 and what happens? We have 3 great drives Alo/KImi/Ham and another pretty decent one the 2006-2009 version of Massa, running in circles for 44 laps with the Ferraris lapping constantly 3-4 tenths faster, in what is supposed to be (I agree also) the best circuit in the calendar. The competition is so far back and really nothings happens for the whole race! Do you wanna go back there? I sure don’t.
    As far the great ’80s check with wikipedia and you ‘ll find out that the difference between the pole position time and the fastest lap of the race was even greater than today. What that means? That the drivers had to do even more nursing, tires, engines, transmissions and mostly fuel. The ’90′s? after the old guard left Senna (tragically), Prost, Mansel, Piquet it was a Newey fest and thanks be to Schumacher we had some competition but only between 2 teams each year, save 1997 were Mclaren and Benetton was also compettive alongside Williams and Ferrari. So explain my statement yes the race wasn’t brilliant but I think it was just that: a mediocre in the good year for F1.
    P.S. It was great for the championship too. We have 3 drivers and 3 teams fighting, Monaco and Canada is coming, cheer up!

• Dizzy said on 12th May 2013, 19:03

a mediocre in the good year for F1

I’ve been a fan since the 60s & I’ve found very little ‘good’ about f1 this year.

the passing is uninteresting, unexciting & boring to watch because of the drs & the drivers are no longer ‘racing’ there lapping to a pre-set laptime nursing the tyres.

martin brundle raced in the 80s/90s & he said on skys coverage today that when he was racing in that era while managing fuel/tyres was a factor he never had to run as far off the pace as they do today to look after the tyres.
      Niki Lauda has said similar on german tv as have other past f1 drivers of the pre-refueling era.

Also consider a big difference, In the era you mention drivers had options on how they ran there race because they had complete freedom in what tyres they ran.
      If you picked the soft’s you ran flat out (Or close to flat out) expecting to need to stop for tyres, If you ran the hard’s you did drive conservatively knowing you had no scheduled stops so needed to keep some life in the tyres for the end. You also had medium compounds which were somewhere inbetween.

Now you no longer have these options because all the tyre compounds wear (At similar rates this year) & your forced to run the compounds Pirelli tell you to & must run both compounds in a race.

Welcome to the FIA Formula Pirelli World Artificial Gimmicks Championship! :(

• Kim Philby (@philby) said on 12th May 2013, 19:37

Yes they nursed mechanical parts instead of tires and that’s what bothers many that Pirelli gets mentioned far more than the teams. After all it is the teams that fail to make interesting so to be imposed rules like this.
        What I am saying is that choosing from a dismal race to judge a whole era is unfortunate in light of the fact that we have had some outstanding races in 2012 and some pretty decent so far in 2013. Barcelona is a bad example because is well known that is hard on tires. Another damning example of the previous spec tires is Monza 2010: Vettel running for 52 laps comfortably on the softer compound and changing to the harder one on the last lap.
        I would too prefer the tires to have a much lesser role but until we discover the next big thing that spices things up, avoiding processional races I ‘ll put up with it because yes, we ‘ve seen worse.

5. Michelle13 said on 12th May 2013, 19:08

Todays race was the final straw for me, I will not be watching the rest of this season & have cancelled my tickets for the Canadian & American GP’s.

I will also NEVER put Pirelli tires on my road car.

• fangio85 (@fangio85) said on 13th May 2013, 0:43

Pirelli make excellent road tyres, and if you don’t like f1 don’t watch it. Better yet, stop whining and acting like you not watching affects the sport in any way. I’m a fan of every era of f1, and while its not perfect at the moment, I think a lot of people are overstating it and making it out to be much worse than it is.

6. tmekt (@tmekt) said on 12th May 2013, 19:37

Tyres made it more interesting. If you compare this to the most Spanish GP we’ve had in the past it was definitely more exciting with at least some wheel-to-wheel action. Had the same race happened in 2010 (when the tyres were bulletproof) for example you could’ve predicted the top 5 result on Friday: 1-2 for Mercedes by a country mile, Ferrari 3-4 and Kimi occupying the 5th place.

Even though there still was a largely dominant car (which made it too easy for Alonso), tyres and DRS together provided at least some variance to strategies and made it possible to gain positions on-track even.

In terms of what the races have been like in 2012 and this year, though, it was too processional for me to give it anything above 6.

7. josephrobert (@josephrobert) said on 12th May 2013, 19:46

Alonso’s first lap double overtake infront of his home crowd, you could hear them

Alonso taking the lead, and going on to win his home GP – crowd going wild, I hope he get’s a world championship at Ferrari

8. LawFish (@lawfish) said on 12th May 2013, 20:01

maybe if i get a good batch of tyres on race day, things will go my way.

9. Luis Conde (@luchingador) said on 12th May 2013, 20:27

I want to see driver fight each other, not fight the tyres

10. liam (@) said on 12th May 2013, 20:35

Good race a 3/10, also My driver of the day was Hamsy, the way he overtook all those cars in reverse was second to none.

11. Broom (@brum55) said on 12th May 2013, 20:52

Hasn’t the whole season been an exercise in tyre conservation. And is it fair to punish Lotus and Ferrari for doing the best job with the tyres?

Anyways as someone who sat through many Spanish GPs this was probably one of the better ones.
    But I agree that there is nothing worse than seeing cars not pushing when behind a fellow car in order to take a position in order to save tyres.

12. Jarv F150 (@jarvf150) said on 12th May 2013, 21:04

Rubbish!
    I would love to see a driver just loose it and go as fast as they can for the entire race and burn all the tyres up just to prove a point.

13. zak misiuda (@zakmf1) said on 12th May 2013, 21:55

it comes to something when Paul Hembry is dictating how many stop are possible on the sets of tyres. let’s all face it, this is no longer a championship for the best drivers in the world its a championship for tyre conservation and is getting a bit ridiculous. And seriously another de lamination of a tyre this race!! sort it out Pirelli please for the good of Formula 1

14. Starbuck (@starbuck) said on 12th May 2013, 22:08

Not too much action but I wasn’t bored at any point. 6.5/10.

Thankfully, there wasn’t too much moaning about the tires from the ORF commentators. The Pirellis are fantastic at the moment.

15. DaveD (@daved) said on 12th May 2013, 22:35

I gave it a 5. I would have given it a good rating for Fernando even though I’m not a big Alonso or Ferrari fan. But he deserved the win. But the domination of the race by tire issues??? No, I would give the race a “1″ for that aspect.