Drivers change helmet designs for Monaco weekend

F1 pictures

Jean-Eric Vergne helmet, Toro Rosso, Monaco, 2013

As has become a tradition in Monaco, several drivers have swapped their regular helmet designs for different variations.

Two of them are sporting designed used by past drivers. Kimi Raikkonen is using a designed styled on that used by James Hunt as he did last year.

Meanwhile Jean-Eric Vergne is using a helmet close in design to that worn by Francois Cevert. This year will see the 40th anniversary of Cevert’s death.

Sebastian Vettel rarely passes up an opportunity to change his helmet design. is Monaco helmet includes a picture of Stirling Moss winning the 1961 Monaco Grand Prix, famously resisting pressure from the chasing Ferraris for much of the race.

The rear of Vettel’s helmet design features a pin-up girl whose clothes become more transparent when the helmet gets warmer.

Fernando Alonso is using a gold coloured helmet similar to that he wore at this race last season and Paul di Resta is using a special design with a playing cards theme.

Finally, Pastor Maldonado’s references Williams’ troubled start to the season with the slogan “No points no party”. It also features a picture of the patron saint of Monaco, Saint Devota, after whom the first corner on the circuit is named.

F1 pictures

View more F1 pictures

Images ?é?® Ferrari spa/Ercole Colombo, Lotus/LAT, Daimler/Hoch Zwei, Red Bull/Getty, Force India

72 comments on Drivers change helmet designs for Monaco weekend

1. DaveF1 (@davef1) said on 23rd May 2013, 20:49

Vergne’s is by far the best. Simple and classy.

2. celeste (@celeste) said on 23rd May 2013, 20:50

I liket most, minus HamiltonĀ“s monstrosity helmet, and Di RestaĀ“s

3. Joshua Mesh (@joshua-mesh) said on 23rd May 2013, 20:52

Jean-Eric Vergne looks really nice. Alonso’s as well.

4. Mads (@mads) said on 23rd May 2013, 21:04

JEV’s helmet is one of the best helmet designs I have ever seen. Its simple, yet not at all boring. Its bright, it’s classy, and the Red Bull logos don’t really detract from that design like they (and most other sponsor logos) usually do.

5. Max Jacobson (@vettel1) said on 23rd May 2013, 21:05

I love the originality and genius in Vettel’s helmet – genius!

Vergne’s is very good too: it’s nice to see him commemorating who I think was one of the great unrealised talents in formula 1.

6. James_mc (@james_mc) said on 23rd May 2013, 21:24

Hamilton’s is a bit of an abomination. However, at least it is better than Dan Ricciardo’s. Surely he must be embarrassed with his “special Monaco helmet” generally consisting of an advert for a country?

7. OmarR-Pepper (@omarr-pepper) said on 23rd May 2013, 21:41

No points, no party.
    Williams must be thinking: No respect, no seat next year
    But jokes aside, Pastor’s motto makes me think he is upset for what Williams is bringing him this year

8. Jason (@jason12) said on 23rd May 2013, 21:53

:D
    Lewis and Nicole….. So Cute!!!

9. R.J. O'Connell (@rjoconnell) said on 23rd May 2013, 21:56

I wouldn’t mind if Vergne kept that design for the whole season. Cevert’s helmet livery was and still is one of the best.

10. Angelia (@angelia) said on 23rd May 2013, 22:14

There is a rumour going around that Bernie wants to ban Kimi’s helmet because it is giving away free publicity to ‘Rush’.

11. andae23 (@andae23) said on 23rd May 2013, 22:16

I think it’s too bad helmets nowadays are so detailed. A helmet used to be a form of distinguishing yourself from the other drivers, so that the spectators would instantly know who is racing that machine going 300kph. Helmets like Cevert’s, which is one of the most striking helmet designs in F1 history – so striking that after 40 years people still recognize it, even when those awful Red Bull logos are added.

Alonso’s “Sin ’08” made me smile :)

12. Antonio (@antoniocorleone) said on 23rd May 2013, 22:21

I am a Ferrari fan but Seb’s helmet is one of the most original helmets I’ve ever seen.
    I just realized that after all there is something that I like about him – his helmets. He has had some original ideas lately like the one in Singapore last year with the lights on top.
    I also like Vergnes helmet but Seb’s is in a class of its own.

13. Rennan said on 23rd May 2013, 22:23

I think Lotus is trying to seduce me with that Daft Punk livery.. Damn, I wish the pit crew were using Daft Punk helmets.. would be the best thing ever

14. Fer no.65 (@fer-no65) said on 23rd May 2013, 22:39

I usually hate Vettel’s designs. I just don’t like them, too flashy and all. But this one is brilliant, with the old pictures. And yeah the girl…

But JEV’s the best. There’s something about those classy styles that just get you (even after covering half the helmet with that annoying Red Bull logo). Like Hunt’s replica last year.

15. xjr15jaaag (@xjr15jaaag) said on 23rd May 2013, 22:43

I like all of them, with the exception of Maldonados and Hamiltons one; it doesn’t look particurlarly brilliant in my opinion; a bit too garish, and for some reason it reminds me of Vettels bahrain 2009 helmet.
    Jevs is really quite brilliant, Sebs is quite funny; a bit of a laugh, Di Restas is really nice and clean, Ricciardos is a masterful execution of detail, Alonsos is pretty nice,but the Santander logos don’t sit very well with the overall theme.
    Kimis is a lovely clean design, and Grosjeans is just a really nocely executed piece of artwork.
    Maldonados is a bit garish for me, and it looks like it was designed by a comittee, like his normal helmet; it’s far too busy for my liking.