Alonso: Red Bull have had it “too easy”

F1 Fanatic round-up

Sebastian Vettel, Fernando Alonso, Circuit de Catalunya, Barcelona, 2013In the round-up: Fernando Alonso says Red Bull are complaining about the tyres this year because it’s been “too easy” for them to win in previous seasons.

Links

Your daily digest of F1 news, views, features and more.

Red Bull have lost edge – Alonso (BBC)

“Sometimes, when you win too easy for some years, it is difficult to lose some races afterwards.”

‘Monaco pole still crucial’ (Sky)

Mark Webber: “The decisive factor to win on Sunday? Definitely a good qualifying position. It’s not going to be like Shanghai or Barcelona where you can be a long way out of position in the early parts of a grand prix.”

Vettel: Red Bull not lone tyre critic (Autosport)

“I think generally, I hear the drivers’ voices in the meetings we have together. Even if you pinpoint Lotus and say they have the best car for these tyres and these conditions, still their drivers complain. They have the same problem as us, just to a lesser extent. That doesn’t mean no-one else is complaining.”

Kimi Raikkonen on 2014: “The decision has to come from me…” (Adam Cooper’s F1 Blog)

“I?m sure there are some options, it?s no secret. There are also options that I don?t drive anything.”

Kimi Raikkonen interview: F1’s quiet man suffers for his art (Sport 360)

“The bigger worry was about the car. The thing is that in winter testing you know very quickly if the car is going to be s***. And if it?s s*** you know you?ll be wasting your time for the season.”

2013 Monaco Grand Prix – Wednesday Press Conference (FIA)

“I don?t want to think about the future too much at the moment. I think that yeah, you?ve got to live for the moment and I don?t think that trying to agree a lengthy deal for the future is something that is interesting at the moment for me. I?m 13 years in the sport, I want to have freedom and that feeling that if it doesn?t feel right any more: stop. But I definitely don?t feel that yet. It feels that it is going to be a long way down the road. For me, that freedom is important in the future.”

Daniel Ricciardo Q&A: I?m ready if Red Bull call (F1)

“I am ready. But I also don?t want to jump into things. Right now I am with Toro Rosso and will do my best here. Should there be any knocking, I am ready.”

Perez still confident McLaren can win (Reuters)

“We know that at the moment there’s no chance, no way we can think of that but we have to give our best… no-one in the team is giving up.”

Ryan Hunter-Reay, IndyCar, Sao Paulo, 2013What?s it cost to compete in Formula One? An IndyCar comparison (NBC)

“Top F1 team: $470 million [??312.58m]; Top IndyCar team: $15 million [??9.98m].”

James Lawton: The James Hunt I knew is the subject of a new F1 movie (The Independent)

“What Hunt wanted to talk about, in some considerable passing, was a surefire commercial initiative. He had a plan to market a salad that would be enhanced by immersion in a microwave.”

McLaren: Honda not involved with P13 (Autocar)

“The source said: ‘At the moment there is no anticipated impact on the road car division as a result of the Honda deal.'”

Tweets

Comment of the day

No live Formula Renault 3.5 on Eurosport UK this weekend – we get delayed coverage of a bike race instead:

Looks like it?s highlights only at 11.15pm on Eurosport in the UK. Fingerlickin? useless. Eurosport in other countries has the race live ?ǣ why do they think Britain wants to watch bikes from the weekend before instead of a live race?
@Tomsk

From the forum

Happy birthday!

Happy birthday to Emmet!

On this day in F1

Ayrton Senna scored his record-breaking sixth Monaco Grand Prix win 20 years ago today.

The race was led by Alain Prost to begin with before he was penalised for a jump start, which he compounded by stalling his engine.

Michael Schumacher was also running in front of Senna when he suffered hydraulic failure before half-distance. Senna won ahead of Damon Hill and Jean Alesi as Prost recovered to fourth after his jump start.

Here’s Senna on his way to a win which put him back in the lead of the championship:

Images ?? Red Bull/Getty, Chevrolet

109 comments on Alonso: Red Bull have had it “too easy”

1. TMF (@tmf42) said on 23rd May 2013, 12:34

I think Alonso is a great driver and currently one of the best – but I can’t stand this guy. Not sure what it is but whenever he talks – I’m starting to hope that anyone but him will win this year’s WDC.

• Max Jacobson (@vettel1) said on 23rd May 2013, 16:10

@tmf42 I’m the same: I’ve never really liked him (I was a Schumi fan though back in the day when I wasn’t really an avid follower!) and I’ve just been repelled by him more since he became Vettel’s biggest rival and the subsequent comments he has made because of this.

Things like this only serve to reinforce my dislike for him.

• puneeth Bharath (@puneethvb) said on 23rd May 2013, 20:26

@Vettel1 and @tmf42

I can understand where you guys are coming from… because I feel exactly the same about Vettel :) I rate vettel as one of the best drivers along with Hamilton and Alonso but his(Vettel’s) comments always make me dislike him more and more…….

• Max Jacobson (@vettel1) said on 23rd May 2013, 21:14

@puneethvb absolutely fair enough: I don’t ask anybody to like him, just to respect the guy’s talents and you’ve done just that so kudos to you sir ;)

I also think Alonso is a bloody good driver and I respect him immensely, but of course that doesn’t mean I like him – far from it in fact!

2. GT_Racer said on 23rd May 2013, 16:17

Vettel’s right, There not the only team or drivers who have criticized the 2013 tyres.

I’ve been saying all year that practically every team & every driver has complained about the tyres, The only difference is that Red Bull have been the only one’s to do it in public.
    The other drivers complain in private yet don’t say anything about them in public because there all too PR friendly nowadays.

If you did a secret poll with the drivers asking about the tyres You would almost certainly get 95% of them vote as disliking them, Do the same thing in Public & you would get the opposite result.

There were plenty of issues while I was around the F1 paddock where you would hear teams/drivers voice one opinion in public yet say something different in private & its frustrating, Especially when your standing next to a driver giving an opinion in an interview when he’s said the complete opposite to you in a private conversation 5mins earlier.

3. Sri Harsha (@harsha) said on 24th May 2013, 6:24

Alonso hardly tried to distract Vettel and RBR by saying We are fighting Newey etc last year and in some aspect it was Acceptable. But saying the RBR are winning every thing is easy is blatant Ignorance.
    It doesn’t matter you won or lost In F1 Nothing is easy to get. It takes lot of hard work from every one.
    Can he say he won two titles easily cos he has the Mass Damper and Better suited Tires for his Renault back in 2005-06.
    May be Vettel throws his toys out or may be he cry’s when things doesn’t go his way or he disobey orders to get wins but he always says it was all due to his team’s Hard work where as Alonso constantly trying to portray himself as the One above every thing. I really wanted to see how Alonso reacts when he lost his complete driver/greatness tag to other driver. It will showcase the True Alonso.