Grosjean hit with ten-place penalty for Ricciardo crash

2013 Monaco Grand Prix

Romain Grosjean, Lotus, Monte-Carlo, Monaco, 2013Romain Grosjean will receive a ten-place penalty for the Canadian Grand Prix following his collision with Daniel Ricciardo.

Grosjean hit the back of the Toro Rosso driver on the run to the chicane on lap 63, putting both out of the race.

“I could see that Grosjean had got a good run out of the tunnel and that he was close, so I defended my line and the next thing I knew he was over the back of me,” said Ricciardo.

“I haven?t seen it on a TV yet, but at the moment I believe it was a misjudgement on his part and a costly one that was quite dangerous, even if we are both okay.”

It was Grosjean’s fourth crash of the weekend. He hit the wall at Sainte Devote twice during practice and also damaged his car at the chicane.

2013 Monaco Grand Prix

Browse all 2013 Monaco Grand Prix articles

Image ?? Lotus/LAT

40 comments on Grosjean hit with ten-place penalty for Ricciardo crash

1. Todfod (@todfod) said on 26th May 2013, 17:39

This guy never learns. At least last year he showed some speed before the occassional shunt.. but this year he hasn’t impressed anyone with his pace or racecraft.

I doubt we will see him on the grid for another year if he keeps going on racing like this

2. Magnificent Geoffrey (@magnificent-geoffrey) said on 26th May 2013, 17:41

Four individual crashes in one weekend. Unacceptable. Add to this all the accidents he caused last year, and I really don’t know where Lotus will finally draw the line.

Yes, he’s a nice guy. Yes, he’s got speed and skill. But this is Formula 1. You cannot keep crashing as often as he has. I thought he’d made progress this season and had kept his nose clean, but then he goes an blows it with the most accident-strewed weekend of his career so far.

The thing for me is, you know he’s going to be involved in more crashes in the future. Enough is enough, I feel. I’ve ran out of patience with Grosjean.

• Chris (@ukphillie) said on 26th May 2013, 18:36

Well. I don’t think your patience is much of a concern to Grosjean..However Eric Boullier also looked and sounded out of patience. And that is of much more consequence to Grosjean.

3. Rigi (@rigi) said on 26th May 2013, 17:50

he had a bad weekend, hope he gets over it and starts from the form he had in bahrain…
    he’s a talented guy, he didn’t crash at all this year until now!

4. safeeuropeanhome (@debaser91) said on 26th May 2013, 17:52

A hypothetical but what would happen to the penalty if Lotus said enough is enough and dropped Romain for Canada. Is it a punishment just against him, or against the driver of car 8 in general?

• Magnificent Geoffrey (@magnificent-geoffrey) said on 26th May 2013, 17:55

Just him. Whoever took that seat wouldn’t get a drop.

• Eoin (@eoin16) said on 26th May 2013, 22:17

Isn’t it a penalty against him for the next race he competes in?? Basically they could drop him until the last race of the season and he would just have to serve it then. That is my understanding of the penalty but of course i could be wrong! I want to see Davide Valsecchi in the car.

5. Force Maikel (@force-maikel) said on 26th May 2013, 17:58

He can do much better then this but I do hope Lotus has the sense to drop him from F1. He needs to find a home somewhere else, maybe NASCAR is a better suitable place for him. Everything has a limit and I think he has just gone over it.

6. Spawinte (@spawinte) said on 26th May 2013, 18:00

Well he’s had a ban already so what’s this gonna do apart from making sure he’s wrecking people further down the grid.

7. Joshua Mesh (@joshua-mesh) said on 26th May 2013, 18:06

“I understand Perez is aggressive but didn’t know he’s that stupid. He came too fast to the corner, there was no way he could make it.” KimiRaikkonen on SKY

8. Eddie (@wackyracer) said on 26th May 2013, 18:12

Lotus might want to raise the budget for this crash dummy

9. Lauri (@f1lauri) said on 26th May 2013, 18:28

Peaple say he is fast. I think he just drives on 101% all the time which makes him crash-crash-crash. Anyone has stats about Massa in his early days in Sauber? I remember Villeneuve talking F1 isn’t place for him etc. Somehow I think Massa crashed a lot less then Gro.

10. Maimai (@maimai) said on 26th May 2013, 18:39

Fortunately Ricciardo isn’t a championship contender, otherwise it would’ve been a one race ban for Grosjean.

11. craig-o (@craig-o) said on 26th May 2013, 18:40

4 crashes in one weekend is a bit much… He’s been nowhere compared to Raikkonen for much of the season, Lotus must be seriously considering other options…

12. Irejag (@irejag) said on 26th May 2013, 21:01

Romain is going to get someone killed.

13. ME4ME (@me4me) said on 26th May 2013, 22:02

I think it’s time for Lotus to put Grosjean aside, and put Valsecci in the car. With Raikkonen possibly going to Redbull next year, it’s important to have stability in the team, and by giving Valsecci the change to get expiercence, they would make life easier for the long term. That way, they only would need to find 1 other driver over the winter. If by any change, they could get Webber from Redbull, they’d have a reasonable line-up next year, not with a sublime driver like Raikkonen, but certainly a more stable pair of drivers.

• invisiblekid said on 26th May 2013, 22:15

Yeah IF they drop Grosjean (and I think they should) and IF Kimi goes to RB, Lotus will be starting 2014 with a radical engine change with two new drivers to the team either: new to F1 or new to racing F1 as their job.

I think Grosjean should have another chance, but one more bad contact/crash of which I’m sure will happen, then it’s gotta be bye bye. But is it too harsh to drop him midway through the season?

14. Enigma (@enigma) said on 26th May 2013, 23:44

1) He’s only been crashing and having incidents this weekend. I think if he keeps keeping his nose clean as he did in the first five races he can do a good job.

2) How has Grosjean got a more severe penalty than Chilton? Chilton’s incident was much worse in many respects in my view.

15. melkurion (@melkurion) said on 27th May 2013, 9:53

Although i agree he deserves a penalty, I think ppl are exagerating here. He had a bad weekend yes. But as ppl have already pointed out it’s the first crash this year. Also, schumacher did the same thing last year ( and the year before) and got a 5 place penalty. So inconcistany by the stewards decisions in my oppinion.