Rate the race: 2013 Monaco Grand Prix

2013 Monaco Grand Prix

Fernando Alonso, Ferrari, Monte-Carlo, 2013What did you think of the today’s race? Share your verdict on the Monaco Grand Prix.

Rate the race out of ten and leave a comment below:

Rate the 2013 Monaco Grand Prix out of ten

• 1 (6%)
  • 2 (3%)
  • 3 (5%)
  • 4 (8%)
  • 5 (10%)
  • 6 (15%)
  • 7 (22%)
  • 8 (19%)
  • 9 (9%)
  • 10 (3%)

Total Voters: 759

Loading ... Loading ...

1 = ‘Terrible’, 10 = ‘Perfect’

See the results for past seasons here:

2013 Monaco Grand Prix

Browse all 2013 Monaco Grand Prix articles

Image ?é?® Ferrari/Ercole Colombo

287 comments on Rate the race: 2013 Monaco Grand Prix

1. fangio85 (@fangio85) said on 27th May 2013, 0:23

Disappointed Massa didn’t win.
    Perfect race for perez if his objective was to flatspot his tyres till they became octagonal.
    Good result for Alonso, he did a brilliant job of driving miss daisy.
    Excellent bunny hop by maldonado, though I am disappointed that he needed chiltons help.
    Nice attempted corkscrew by grosjean, but I’m not sure ricciardo was keen on his job as jump in the attempt.
    Massa did a flawless job… Of recreating his practice crash.
    And, it must be said, top job by the camera operators! There was a big risk of a small amount of excitement this year, its good to see they avoided showing us any of it, they’ve preserved that special Monaco feeling well*

*special = boring as hell

• fangio85 (@fangio85) said on 27th May 2013, 0:31

Seriously though, the bit that made me smile was vettels response to his team saying no points for fastest lap “but satisfaction”, Haha, one thing I admire him for is his sense of humour

• Alexandre (@vzx7qf) said on 27th May 2013, 11:15

I agree 100%. A race track where almost the driver stays in the same place where they start is not a good race track. I also like all the glamour surrounding Monaco but at the top of all I like watching a race with several maneuvers and real overtaking opportunities and Monaco do not have anything of that. If I could, I eliminate Monaco from the calendar. This is not racing and I do not want to see scenes like that (Monaco races are very, very boring). I rated with a 1.

• Mike Dee (@mike-dee) said on 27th May 2013, 17:28

@fangio85

Disappointed Massa didn’t win.

This must have been a tough 4 1/2 years for you then!

2. Ron (@rcorporon) said on 27th May 2013, 0:42

Another boring Monaco parade with a few nice passes and a lot of silly crashes.

2 / 10.

Bring on Canada.

3. bsnaylor (@bsnaylor) said on 27th May 2013, 1:06

+100
    utter Pirelli yawnfest

4. bsnaylor (@bsnaylor) said on 27th May 2013, 1:14

agreed, so glad i didn’t pay to go this year

5. soundscape (@soundscape) said on 27th May 2013, 1:21

5/10, an average race at best.

A few exciting moments, with bold pass and pass-attempts, and a few dramatic crashes (thankfully no serious injury), but a very stop-start race with the majority of the time spent by drivers managing tyres. Again.

I found myself spending a lot of the race wishing it would hurry up and end. The nose-to-tail procession was boring, and occupied most of the 78 laps.

6. Travis (@mcmerctn) said on 27th May 2013, 1:53

Voted a 7. Monaco has never been an easy place to pass at, and the first part of the race before the safety car was no exception. The racing behind the top 4 was pretty crazy all day. Lots of incidents, some decent racing (if the TV actually showed it), and a DRS that was barely noticeable. Seeing how close it was through the bottom half of the top 10 was good too. I’ll be looking forward to seeing what effect those tire changes will have when they get to Canada, though.

7. SLUSHIE said on 27th May 2013, 5:03

Incredibly boring race. Not at all exciting, major tire conservation from start to finish. In post race interviews Vettel commented that the Mercedes were driving like buses in the first part of the race. Very minimal passing attempts by the same few drivers. Even Alonso said screw it and let Sutil past instead of getting run into.

The chicane out of the tunnel is a joke. With cars not staying in the track and having to give the place back/arguing about giving the place back it, its really gimmicky.

This race is nothing more than an exhibition, and they should treat it as suck and make all the drivers drive clown cars or something.

8. Njack (@njack) said on 27th May 2013, 6:35

4/10. Most drivers cruising for 90% of the race.

9. Nigelstash (@nigelstash) said on 27th May 2013, 7:30

There was a bit of excitement but you can’t really call this a race. I do enjoy watching cars being pushed to the limit around this ridiculous circuit, and for that reason I would like to see it on the calendar, but it is time to accept that when you have the lead car driving deliberately slowly and still winning the race it doesn’t fit any reasonable definition of the word ‘race’ at all.
    The solution? Recognise that this is an exhibition race and award points accordingly. For this race only, award 3 points for pole position, 2 for second and 1 for third. Same for the race. The pole sitter will then most likely come out with 6 valuable championship points for leading the exhibition – useful for the championship and a fair reflection of this race’s relative value.
    To encourage drivers to show that they can drive at the limit of grip award 3 points for the fastest lap, 2 for the second fastest and 1 for third fastest. This wouldn’t encourage overtaking but would at least let the drivers show off a bit -this is Monaco after all.
    Finally, to give some purpose to the rest of the teams in the race let their relative finishing position be the decider in any tied points situation at the end of the season and let normal constructors points apply.
    This is a unique event so no harm in a unique points system. Just don’t let Bernie near the sprinklers!

10. SeaHorse (@seahorse) said on 27th May 2013, 7:45

I admit here that, though I had had interest in F1 for quite long time, I started following it closely only since late last year. So I do not understand what is so special about the Monaco GP. Except for its narrow track coupled with the notoriously high chances of ending up in the barrier if you tried to make some passes, I feel there is nothing to it. I mean there is no racing in it.

IMO the race here was worse than Spain 2013. Except for a very few patches of racing, Monaco GP in my opinion was simply a demonstration run of modern formula one cars, bringing to the fore the perils of too much reliance on aerodynamic grips. I do not think there is any need to add a premium to the score just because it is Monaco. It is inexplicable how people could rate this race with 9s and 10s? Was it good enough to compete with Brazil 2012? A clear No. Anything more than a 5 is way too much for this demonstration.

11. Peter Hatch (@cntchds) said on 27th May 2013, 8:25

More of a procession than a race. I feel bad for Hamilton for losing out on his position under the safety car. Other than that I was just mad about Perez the entire race. McLaren needs to get him under control. Passing Button was the only good thing he did today. Pass on Alonso left him to either slip through the chicane or get hit by Perez. Terrible driving from him especially seen on his attempts on Raikkonen. The defending driver should not be the one who has to move out of the way of some idiot charging through with no intention to avoid the collision.

12. Melchior (@melchior) said on 27th May 2013, 8:49

Another generous 4 from me.A few exceptions to that rule but another tyre conservation exercise where drivers are expected to drive (not race) to a particular and consistent lap time.

13. Oskar (@oskar) said on 27th May 2013, 9:45

At least in Barcelona several teams try to save their tyres, and others did not. Yesterday in Monaco everybody was saving tyres in a precession. Saying that Barcelona was one of the most boring races and Monaco is a”ten” seems to be ilogical for me.

14. MarcusAurelius (@marcusaurelius) said on 27th May 2013, 10:34

I hate to admit it, but to be honest the Indy 500 last 20 laps were more exciting than the Monaco GP.

It wasn’t Rosberg but Red Bull who controlled the pace. They were happy for Rosberg to take his win and did nothing whatsoever to attempt to overtake. Only Perez and Sutil were doing something interesting.

Max Chilton in the Marussia was even faster than the Red Bulls!! Come on, this was a procession…

15. caci99 (@caci99) said on 27th May 2013, 10:35

Unfortunately, I can’t rate the race. I only watched the first part, until the red flag. Then, had to live for some other commitments. The first part was boring though, I see some of you had fun anyway with the second part. Glad it worked out for some.