Kobayashi tests Ferrari F1 car at Fiorano

F1 Pictures

Kamui Kobayashi, Ferrari, Fiorano, 2013Kamui Kobayashi had a chance to drive a Ferrari Formula One car at the team’s Maranello test track day.

The Japanese driver got behind the wheel of a Ferrari F10 as raced by the team in 2010. F1 teams are allowed a limit number of runs using old machinery for filming purposes.

Kobayashi drives for Ferrari’s GT racing team in the World Endurance Championship.

“The first feeling was one of great happiness,” said Kobayashi. “I raced against this car and I knew how quick it was, so it was very important to get some experience of it.”

“Last year?s race in Brazil was the last time I drove a Formula One car and now I am racing in WEC in a 458 GT and the impressions are completely different.”

“But it wasn?t hard to readapt, because in the past, I?ve driven all sorts of cars and I?m used to change.”

Kobayashi drove the car to familiarise himself with it ahead of his planned run at the Moscow City Racing event on July 21st.

F1 pictures

View more F1 pictures

Images ?? Ferrari spa/Ercole Colombo

60 comments on Kobayashi tests Ferrari F1 car at Fiorano

1. SeaHorse (@seahorse) said on 28th May 2013, 8:55

How did Kobayashi land in the Ferrari net? Is it because he was a Sauber driver or is it because he is Toyota backed? With all the scope for driver shuffle across several teams next year, he could get back into F1 in 2014, though the probability of this happening seems to be too small.

2. Crom said on 28th May 2013, 10:34

Great photos, it’s heartwarming to see Kobayashi again, and in a Ferrari, what a dream for him. He’s greatly missed in F1, especially considering the calibre of some of the drivers this season.

3. Allan Kobanawa (@allanlol86) said on 28th May 2013, 12:55

I wonder why Ferrari has chosen to test with Kamui, rather than their third driver, De la Rosa… who would also be looking for a chance to get to drive again..

Just marketing or does he have something Ferrari want?

I want to believe the latter!

• Joe Papp (@joepa) said on 11th June 2013, 18:26

Would KK have had to pay Ferrari for this test, or would it have been part of his normal duties for the company per his employment as a driver in a different series?

4. Zantkiller (@zantkiller) said on 28th May 2013, 14:18

If he was to replace Massa that would be the 2nd time a driver who has driven under Sauber for 3 years had replaced a Brazillian number 2 driver at Ferrari.

5. ScutigeraChris (@kamui-fan) said on 28th May 2013, 15:18

It’s depressing to see an exciting and talented racer who was forced out of F1 to perform test runs for fans to boost Ferraris appeal. Whilst he was never WDC material Kobayashi was nonpariel in entertaining me during races and whilst his WEC assault will keep him sharp, I feel irritated that Sauber have to run Gutierrez instead of him, purely on monetary grounds.

I sincerely hope he returns to F1 in the near future, not just for his skill but also due to the fact there are no Asian racers despite Asian events constituting a hefty amount of the races.

6. Ben (@scuderia29) said on 28th May 2013, 15:46

the f10 does not lend its self the the 2013 livery at all!

7. Paul (@frankjaeger) said on 29th May 2013, 1:26

Definitely a premature exit from F1, I pray for him to return. Kimi and Kamui could tear the field up