2013 F1 season
Kamui Kobayashi has pledged to refund the donations made to his support programme if he fails to secure a place in Formula One.
Kobayashi lost his seat at Sauber last year due in part to a lack of support from sponsors. He set up a Kamui Support programme for fans to donate money to his racing career.
The campaign has raised ¥184m (£1.2m) so far. But Kobayashi, who is racing for Ferrari in the World Endurance Championship this year, says he will only use the money to further his F1 career.
“Personally speaking, I want to come back in Formula One next year,” he told his official website.
“And today, there is one thing I want to be clear about Kamui Support. The all donations of Kamui Support has not been used at all this year, because this was purely for F1 seat.”
“And if I don’t need to use them for next year’s F1 seat, I want to return all to whom made donation.”
“At Monaco Grand Prix, I spend whole weekend with the Scuderia Ferrari team,” he added. “And following Monday, I had a chance to check F1 cars at Fiorano for Moscow event scheduled in July. I will also have a chance to test simulator near future.”
“I will put all of my effort for the jobs Scuderia Ferrari offered to me and hoping to give you good news as soon as possible. So, I wish you all the best and keep supporting me.”
2013 F1 season
- Top ten passes of 2013: Vote for the best
- Three-day test to take place next week
- Force India hold off Sauber challenge for sixth
- Williams recruit Red Bull and Lotus aero staff
- 2013 F1 season is lowest-rated year since 2009
Browse all 2013 F1 season articles
Image © Ferrari/Ercole Colombo