Nico Rosberg, Mercedes, Monaco, 2013

Caption Competition 31: Pirelli and Mercedes

Caption CompetitionPosted on | Author Keith Collantine

Nico Rosberg, Mercedes, Monaco, 2013

Mercedes are in hot water after their rivals discovered they conducted a 1,000km tyre test for Pirelli in secret ahead of the Monaco Grand Prix.

Nico Rosberg went on to win the next round of the championship in Monaco.

Submit your funniest caption suggestion for the picture above in the comments and a selection of the best will be chosen for tomorrow’s round-up.

Caption Competition

Browse all previous Caption Competitions

Image ?? Pirelli/LAT

108 comments on “Caption Competition 31: Pirelli and Mercedes”

Jump to comment page: 1 2 3 4 5
  1. we’re winning !!!

2. “Come on, Nico, hit tyre trouble! We’re both screwed if you win this thing.”

3. “Least he could do is wave… ungrateful *******.” ;)

1. Steve McGrath (@)
      1st June 2013, 21:11

2. Brilliant.

4. Following the secret tyre test, Pirelli at long last acquired two trackside seats at the sold-out Monaco Grand Prix.

5. “Sir,Please let go of my hand, I know you’re edgy each time a Mercedes goes past but I think we sorted those de-lamination issues out at that test last week.”

6. “It’s not going to look good if Nico wins this is it?”
    “No, no it isn’t”
    “I thought so. *sigh*”

7. Dude, who invited that guy from Red Bull?
    Not me, damn, what’s he doing here?
    Hire him…. now!

1. Good one!

8. ‘So it’s agreed, we switch sides halfway through the FIA investigation’.

9. “Nico, this is not looking good. You can go faster now.”

10. Steve McGrath (@)
    1st June 2013, 20:15

#1 Is that his last lap?
    #2 Yup
    #1 78 laps and a Merc still in front eh??
    #2 Yup
    #1 These Pirelli shirts of ours really crease up don’t they?
    #2 Yeah Much prefer the Mercedes gear we were wearing 3 weeks ago…
    #1 [Cough]..shh!!!! [Cough]

11. In the round up:
    After finishing the 1000 km test, and due to their excessive degradation rates of the tyres and the unexpected extra sets of tyres that were brought to the circuit during the test, Mercedes were asked by Pirelli to pay for half of the sets of tyres used. However, and after Mercedes refused to do that, Pirelli threatened them to expose the test story to the public to put them in trouble, which was the case in the end.

12. “ok, take a razor and make Nico’s tyres look worn”

13. I knew we should have got some bait for this fishing trip…

14. …so I said to Nico, “How are you going to treat the tyres?”
    He said he was just happy to have a good long “P” on them.
    And he’s winning – maybe he’s onto something?

15. Music on headphones, The Beatles:
    Do you want to know a secret?,
    Do you promise not to tell?, whoa oh, oh…”

16. “So my girlfriend keeps telling me I’m being secretive. I don’t get her. First of all she should’ve noticed I stayed at the pub after she left and I totally booked the hotel room for me and my mistress with my own name.”

17. Traverse (@)
    1st June 2013, 21:37

“Is that Rosberg or Hamilton?”

18. Dion (@infinitygc)
    1st June 2013, 21:44

Another one:
    Pirelli weren’t quite sure what the fuss was, since Mercedes had already hired dozens of their engineers before the test.

1. Dion (@infinitygc)
      1st June 2013, 21:46

*what the fuss was about

19. #1: Whoa! How is Nico still leading? I thought Mercedes had some problems with their tyres.
    #2: That’s the mentality kid!

20. Pirelli guy 1: “Exclusive offer – join F1 today and get free inseason testing for the first year.” Sounds good, right?
    Pirelli guy 2: Should add “Offer only applies to car manufacturers – VW, Toyota and BMW”. Remember, we always “act professionally, with transparency and in absolute good faith.”

Jump to comment page: 1 2 3 4 5