Newey crashes on formation lap in Lamborghini race

2013 F1 season

Adrian Newey, Alberto Sabbatini, Lamborghini Super Trofeo, Silverstone, 2013Adrian Newey suffered an embarrassing crash when he got behind the wheel in yesterday’s round of the Lamborghini Super Trofeo Europe championship at Silverstone.

The Red Bull chief technical officer lost control of his car during the formation lap ahead of the second race of the weekend and swiped the barrier on the Hangar straight. The damage put his car out of the race.

The designer of the last three world-championship winning Formula One cars was sharing his Lamborghini Gallardo LP 570-4 Super Trofeo with Alberto Sabbatini, editor of Italian racing magazine Autosprint.

The pair finished eighth in the preceding race on Saturday. Newey started 14th and dropped back following a spin, but the appearance of the Safety Car helped them regain lost ground.

“It?s the first time I have raced since September last year,” said Newey after Saturday’s race. “I had a good battle to start with and then I had a spin ?ǣ I thought I had done it myself, but I later discovered there was damage to the rear of the car, so I might have had a tap.”

His crash in race two is the latest in a series of accidents for Newey during race appearances. He was taken to hospital following a crash in a Ginetta G50 race at Snetterton in 2010 and also crashed during the 2006 Le Mans Classic.

Newey competed in last year’s Silverstone Super Trofeo round, finishing 11th and 15th in the two wet races.

2013 F1 season

Browse all 2013 F1 season articles

Image ?? Lamborghini

40 comments on Newey crashes on formation lap in Lamborghini race

1. tonyyeb (@tonyyeb) said on 3rd June 2013, 11:27

I think the obvious statement of “stick to designing them” has to be said.

2. Liam McShane (@motor_mad) said on 3rd June 2013, 11:28

Stick to designing Adrian.

3. bpacman (@bpacman) said on 3rd June 2013, 11:36

There’s only one man to be blamed for that crash.

Mark Webber

4. Bendanarama (@bendana) said on 3rd June 2013, 11:42

I’d only just stopped laughing at his performance in the ginettas a couple of years back.

5. Lauri (@f1lauri) said on 3rd June 2013, 11:46

I don’t wish to be rude, but maybe this is why he likes and wishes to design yachts. You can easily enjoy your work!

6. Hamish (@hamish) said on 3rd June 2013, 11:49

….and Red Bulls secret test of the Pirelli’s fails miserably.

7. Sergio Perez (@sergio-perez) said on 3rd June 2013, 11:55

The hilarious part is you can actually hear his voice !

8. zenman1 (@zenman1) said on 3rd June 2013, 12:10

As the old saying goes, Don’t give up your day job Adrian!!!

9. Pete (@repete86) said on 3rd June 2013, 12:20

They aren’t using Pirelli tires, are they?

10. GeeMac (@geemac) said on 3rd June 2013, 12:28

Oh Adrian…

11. AdrianMorse (@adrianmorse) said on 3rd June 2013, 13:20

I don’t know about you guys and girls, but I’ve always had this instinctive feeling of “I could drive one of these cars” (whatever formula I’m watching) perhaps not at the limit but still producing respectable lap times. This video, however, along with others such as Richard Hammond driving the Renault F1, are signs that perhaps driving fast cars is a little more tricky than it looks from the outside.

• Traverse (@) said on 3rd June 2013, 14:01

• beneboy (@beneboy) said on 3rd June 2013, 14:04

@adrianmorse
      I used to think exactly the same mate.
      I’ve done a few track days (mostly on bikes) and a couple of years ago I was at Oulton Park for a track day where a few of the BSB riders turned up to do some practising. Even though they were using bikes that were almost standard spec (not their BSB superbikes) and we were riding very similar bikes they were flying past us in the corners and doing lap times we just couldn’t get close to. At one point I was overtaken by one of them riding an R6 even though I was on a GSXR1000 :-(
      I’ve had a go of a fully kitted out SuperStock bike and I couldn’t get within 10 seconds of the lap time you’d see proper racers doing at the same track even though I’ve been riding a Fireblade on the roads for several years.

Doing racing speeds definitely looks easier than it is !

• dragoll (@dragoll) said on 4th June 2013, 2:17

I was riding on some pee wee 50’s around a go kart track with a group of 250cc production bike racers in Australia. These guys weren’t at the front of the grid either, but they rode rings around me and my mates, on pee wee 50’s! From then on, I realised just how good these guys actually are… Although after that day, I worked out a couple of tricks they use

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 3rd June 2013, 15:02

@adrianmorse Definitely.

• GeorgeTuk (@georgetuk) said on 3rd June 2013, 17:01

@adrianmorse Couldn’t agree more!

And then it makes it even more amazing how close they are at the sharp end!

Remember doing Palmersport day and just going a few laps with the professional speeding around everyone else, braking later and power on earlier, the adjustments mid corner. He’d lapped everyone in 2 laps!

• Gaz said on 3rd June 2013, 17:05

Fear also plays a part. Controlling your fear will reduce your lap time considerably!

• DD42 said on 3rd June 2013, 22:36

If you can really control a car, i.e have the throttle control so you can drift as you please, place the car on a 20 pence at 150mph and trail brake effectively a proper racing driver isn’t that much faster. I’ve mentioned it before check out “how to overtake jenson button” on youtube.

If you know more about a circuit and the car and you are very skilled at car control you could be faster than an f1 driver in a racing category that suits you.

I think if given 3 years unlimited practice I could be in F1 however I’d never be as good as Raikkonen, even if I’d been training for my whole life (he’s the best natural talent imo)

• DD42 said on 3rd June 2013, 22:40

But I agree, step into an F1 car tomorrow and my best lap times in a red bull would be way slower than Chilton’s but I’d probably crash on the first timed lap!

• dragoll (@dragoll) said on 4th June 2013, 2:18

@DD42 Then explain how Ralph was slower than Michael Schumacher in F1 given that Ralph had been racing longer than his brother?

• Dan Brown (@danbrown180) said on 4th June 2013, 11:10

I drove an Indycar and spent most of the time trying not to kill myself.

12. SouthAussie94 (@mpj1994) said on 3rd June 2013, 13:22

Reminds me of when Australian Rules Footballer Jason Akermanis raced in a V8 Supercars support category a few years back.

Sorry Adrian but Jason wins the “Best Crash on the Warm-Up Lap” award…

13. Traverse (@) said on 3rd June 2013, 14:13

Newey: “Hey, this is easy, I’m just warming up me tyre’s nice and good like, nice and-WHOAH!!!!!!!” *Crash!!Bang!!Wollop!!*

• Traverse (@) said on 3rd June 2013, 14:24

*tyres
      What this proves is that being a great designer and having a wealth of knowledge about the sport doesn’t necessarily transfer to the track (in the same way that being a great boxing coach doesn’t mean that you can succeed in an actual fight).

14. hzh (@hzh00) said on 3rd June 2013, 14:17

I guess he had tyre degradation issues on his formation lap. But wait… this is not his F1 car…
    Weird!

15. mantresx (@mantresx) said on 3rd June 2013, 16:47

hehe nice to see F1 engineers getting the same coverage as drivers (on this site at least)