Newey crashes on formation lap in Lamborghini race

2013 F1 season

Adrian Newey, Alberto Sabbatini, Lamborghini Super Trofeo, Silverstone, 2013Adrian Newey suffered an embarrassing crash when he got behind the wheel in yesterday’s round of the Lamborghini Super Trofeo Europe championship at Silverstone.

The Red Bull chief technical officer lost control of his car during the formation lap ahead of the second race of the weekend and swiped the barrier on the Hangar straight. The damage put his car out of the race.

The designer of the last three world-championship winning Formula One cars was sharing his Lamborghini Gallardo LP 570-4 Super Trofeo with Alberto Sabbatini, editor of Italian racing magazine Autosprint.

The pair finished eighth in the preceding race on Saturday. Newey started 14th and dropped back following a spin, but the appearance of the Safety Car helped them regain lost ground.

“It?s the first time I have raced since September last year,” said Newey after Saturday’s race. “I had a good battle to start with and then I had a spin ?ǣ I thought I had done it myself, but I later discovered there was damage to the rear of the car, so I might have had a tap.”

His crash in race two is the latest in a series of accidents for Newey during race appearances. He was taken to hospital following a crash in a Ginetta G50 race at Snetterton in 2010 and also crashed during the 2006 Le Mans Classic.

Newey competed in last year’s Silverstone Super Trofeo round, finishing 11th and 15th in the two wet races.

2013 F1 season

Browse all 2013 F1 season articles

Image ?? Lamborghini

40 comments on Newey crashes on formation lap in Lamborghini race

1. mixwell (@mixwell) said on 3rd June 2013, 17:16

He was “unlucky” :D

2. Namlak said on 3rd June 2013, 18:23

Multi-21, Adrian…

3. Joshua Mesh (@joshua-mesh) said on 3rd June 2013, 18:39

You’re not a real racing driver until you crash a lambo :P

4. PJ (@pjtierney) said on 3rd June 2013, 20:36

Shortly after that, another Lamborghini spear into the armco at the opposite side, which brought out the Red Flag. Myself and @Ajokay were there watching the marshalls rebuild the barrier.

5. Optimaximal (@optimaximal) said on 3rd June 2013, 22:37

Probably worth reminding that he took to the wheel of both the RB6 and the Leyton House he designed last year for the BBC.

He lapped both of them around Silverstone.

• DD42 said on 3rd June 2013, 22:48

I wonder what would have happened if the impossible happened and Newey was faster than Vettel in the RB6? Obviously at his spritely age we would be realising he’d missed an opportunity! Would Red Bull have signed him as their driver and designer so we could see a one man focused team like Brabham again?!

6. William Cook (@billy59824) said on 4th June 2013, 1:10

Vettel punted him from behind… he’ll doing ANYTHING this year for a “W”

7. Paul Barrass (@damleda) said on 4th June 2013, 11:14

He’s done this many times now. He totalled a classic GT40 a few years back, which is equally amusing and sad :-(

Now having said that, I have heard he is pretty quick, but when he hasn’t been out for so long he should have been a bit more thoughtful (I’m not going to say careful, as careful drivers are slow)