Shortened DRS zones for Canadian Grand Prix

2013 Canadian Grand Prix

Heikki Kovalainen, Caterham, Montreal, 2012The Circuit Gilles Villeneuve will revert to two DRS zones for this weekend’s race but they will be shorter than those used two years ago.

Two zones were used for the Canadian Grand Prix in 2011 but just one was available last year.

Two will be used again this year, as is practice at most other races on the calendar. However the total length of the DRS zones will be shorter than it was in 2011.

This year the first activation point will be 55 metres before the turn 12 kink compared to 168 metres two years ago. The second DRS zone will also be shortened by one metre.

The two zones will be triggered by a single activation point 110 metres after turn nine. It was previously located at turn ten.

2013 Canadian Grand Prix DRS zones

2013 Canadian Grand Prix

Browse all 2013 Canadian Grand Prix articles

Image ?? Caterham/LAT

59 comments on Shortened DRS zones for Canadian Grand Prix

1. Hunt the Shunt (@hunt-the-shunt) said on 4th June 2013, 20:08

As proud as I am to be English I was not cheering when Button won the 2011 Canadian Grand Prix when he was at one point at the back of the pack because the overtakes were FAR too easy for him and he had Schumi done like a kipper on the back straight when he was running 3rd because he just couldn’t defend himself against the power of the big button on JB’s steering wheel.

Back in the good ol’ days before KERS, DRS & Pirelli I watched the 1998 race and loved every minute – there was drama, crashes and REAL overtaking.

I recently read somewhere (may have been on here) one fan mentioning he would not be going this year because of the lack of overtaking in the hairpin where he once sat was down to the DRS anticipation onto the back straight.

Pirelli and DRS have RUINED this spectacle of a race in recent years and I fear this years race will be exactly the same. I cant imagine our Murray commentating on modern day F1 I fear he would be so bored it wouldn’t be the same.

Hamilton ftw? yaaawwwn!

2. Deej92 (@deej92) said on 4th June 2013, 20:49

DRS really doesn’t need to be used on the Casino Straight. The DRS should only be used where overtaking is a lot harder. I think the straight between turns 7 and 8 should have one. I suppose at least the FIA have shortened the DRS zones.

3. specialk69 (@specialk69) said on 4th June 2013, 21:11

Now I’m not the biggest DRS fan, but it seems to me that all of this criticism is slightly harsh. DRS is here to stay whether we like it or not, at least the FIA are trying to not make it a slam dunk when it comes to using it to overtake in the race.

Think back to the start of 2012, when the DRS zones for Melbourne were announced, there was stinging criticism back then, but it turned out to be premature and a good configuration for the track, and what’s to say this will be no different?

Give it a chance at the very least.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 4th June 2013, 21:23

@specialk69

Give it a chance at the very least.

I’m getting a bit tired of hearing that after two-and-a-half years. I was prepared to accept the view it could be ‘fine-tuned’ but I’m growing less convinced it can be.

DRS is here to stay whether we like it or not

Says who? I remember some people saying the same about refuelling. Thankfully they were proved wrong.

• specialk69 (@specialk69) said on 4th June 2013, 21:31

I’m afraid in a short-term aspect it is, We’ve seen no indication that the FIA are prepared to ditch it in fear of a return to processional races.

The same can be partially said about the tyres to be honest, but people are still sticking with the belief that it has improved the racing aspect – I’m not convinced, but I’m not complaining about the current racing.

4. Philip lane said on 4th June 2013, 21:41

They should use World Series by Renault DRS system. They can use it for a fixed time normally between 350 and 400 seconds per race anywhere on the track. Making it available for drivers to defend with aswell.

5. David (@mansellsmoustache) said on 4th June 2013, 21:58

If I remember correctly, there was a compromose that all tracks possible would have 2 DRS zones to get teams to agree to abandon free use of DRS in qualy.

Otherwise teams would have run shorter gearing for qualy and made DRS useless in the race.

If I recall correctly we are paying the price for that compromise now.

6. AlanD said on 5th June 2013, 0:11

this to me highlights a part of why i dislike the drs system, the fact they use it on every track & that its always placed on the longest straght.

some tracks don’t need drs & why always place it on the longest straght where there was often a lot of good racing to begin with.

drs was supposed to help make overtaking more possible in places where before it wasn’t. putting the drs zones in places where we already saw a lot of overtaking & using it on tracks where we already saw good racing without drs just means were going to end up with yet another drs-fest where passing is so easy it makes the race a complete farce.

the poll done on here not long ago shows that majority of fans dislike drs now, if they keep using it like they do it will only continue to lose fan support.

7. AdisF1-FAN said on 5th June 2013, 0:52

I have an idea!
    Why should the DRS be activated if the car behind is less then a second
    so I thought like this: keep the DRS and allow normal, old-school slipstreaming highspeed overtakes. How? Well, make DRS available to the car behind if he`s 1.0 to 2.0 seconds behind :)

8. Eastman (@eastman) said on 5th June 2013, 2:18

If it rains there won’t be any DRS anyway.

Packing rain gear and expecting sunshine!

9. andae23 (@andae23) said on 5th June 2013, 6:34

Aside from the fact I hate DRS with whole my heart, I do think there is one positives: the DRS activation point now lies before the hairpin’s braking zone, which should stimulate overtaking into the hairpin. But I’m afraid the first DRS zone will be used to sail past the leading car, after which the overtaker can use the second zone to pull away.

10. Yosi (@yoshif8tures) said on 5th June 2013, 12:03

If I had a buck for every time the commentators say; “That was a pretty straight forward pass.” Then I’d be very rich.
    We never used to think of passes as straight forward. There’s no longer any skill or finesse required. Just push a button and fly right past.
    If the Canadian Gp is boring this year, as it was last year, I won’t be at all surprised. (Unless it rains of course)

11. jacobf90 (@jacobf90) said on 5th June 2013, 15:02

I wonder if flipping the way DRS is used on its head would make it more useful or competitive. I’m thinking by placing the activation point far earlier, (eg Montreal – have the activation point mid corner/corner exit on the hairpin) allowing the driver to determine the earliest point at which they & the car can handle the reduced down-force without the rear of the car breaking away (allowing greater acceleration due to reduced down-force) & then having a DRS DE-activation point along the back straight (possibly where the current activation point is) to then negate all of the advantages DRS gave ready for both cars to compete for the next corner. I think the main problem is the overspeed which DRS allows, at times 10-15 kph, even if two cars are side by side & brake at the same point there is going to be only one winner; the car with the overspeed. I can’t say I’m completely against DRS, just it needs to be harnessed in the right way to find the balance of competitive overtaking & breezing past another car. It’s just something I’ve been thinking about for a little & thought I’d put it out there.

• S2G-Unit (@s2g-unit) said on 5th June 2013, 16:38

I always thought there should be a deactivation poiint along the straight. DRS is supposed to help bring the car closer, not allow it to fly past.

They need to either:
      -cut DRS zones in half?
      -create DRS de-activation point

Put DRS in places where there is NO overtaking normally.

I don’t understand why it’s so hard to understand or fix.
      I wish the FIA would tell us something.

12. I’d have thought, if they really have to have two zones, then maybe two activation points, each for a DRS zone into turn 8 an another zone into turn 1.

That DRS zone into the “Wall Of Champions” chicane, is just plain silly.

13. Ole (@oskaalb) said on 8th June 2013, 12:31

There may be a misunderstanding here: ‘As in 2011 the two zones will be triggered by a single activation point at the exit of turn ten. It will be positioned 110 metres after the corner which is later than it was at Canada’s first Grand Prix with DRS.’
    According to the circuit map on the FIA website, the detection point is just after turn nine, long before the turn ten hairpin, not at the exit.

14. FranciscoM said on 10th June 2013, 1:53

I’m puzzled why Vettel used DRS on his final lap after overtaking a Caterham on the hairpin. While he was enabled to use DRS going thru the DRS detection point, there was no car ahead of him when driving at the 2 DRS zones on his way to the checkered flag. Can somebody explain me if this is allowed by the rules ? In other words, I understand DRS is used for overtaking, not for gaining an unfair advantage when racing alone.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 10th June 2013, 2:00

He was behind it at the activation line which was at the exit of turn nine, so he was still able to use it in the two zones even though he had already passed the Caterham at turn ten.