Rate the race: 2013 Canadian Grand Prix

2013 Canadian Grand Prix

Fernando Alonso, Ferrari, Circuit Gilles Villeneuve, Montreal, 2013What did you think of the today’s race? Share your verdict on the Canadian Grand Prix.

Rate the race out of ten and leave a comment below:

Rate the 2013 Canadian Grand Prix out of ten

• 1 (4%)
  • 2 (3%)
  • 3 (3%)
  • 4 (7%)
  • 5 (8%)
  • 6 (22%)
  • 7 (26%)
  • 8 (20%)
  • 9 (5%)
  • 10 (2%)

Total Voters: 586

Loading ... Loading ...

1 = ‘Terrible’, 10 = ‘Perfect’

See the results for past seasons here:

2013 Canadian Grand Prix

Browse all 2013 Canadian Grand Prix articles

Image ?é?® Ferrari/Ercole Colombo

212 comments on Rate the race: 2013 Canadian Grand Prix

1. Ginola14 (@ginola14) said on 9th June 2013, 20:48

4 for me…..not much going on during the race except for VDG messing up Webber’s race and getting a stop-go for his efforts and a run-in between the Hulk and VDG again. Rest of the race was rather run-of-the-mill in terms of genuine excitement. di Resta and Vergne were brilliant mind. Alonso and Hamilton probably extracted the maximum from their cars but the Red Bull Vettel combo was just unstoppable today.

2. zicasso (@zicasso) said on 9th June 2013, 20:49

5 from me. Boring for the most part as saving tire’s strategies dominated the race and at one point it felt they weren’t racing against each other.

• Max Jacobson (@vettel1) said on 9th June 2013, 20:52

@zicasso I didn’t see much tyre saving honestly! It’s perhaps still not ideal for some which I can understand but personally I thought the amount of pushing was good.

• Bobby Balboa (@bobby-balboa) said on 9th June 2013, 21:08

I remember Webber being told on his radio to hold position until the end of the stint to save his tyres

• Chema Carrasco (@chemakal) said on 9th June 2013, 21:47

That’s all? One driver gets told to save tyres and the race was greatly influenced by it? I saw Vettel touching the wall and missing a chicane, Alo avoiding wall and the guys in front exchanging best times

• zicasso (@zicasso) said on 9th June 2013, 21:08

It’s difficult to understand the massive gap Mercedes allowed Vettel to build. Red Bull and Ferrari were racing and pushing but I am not so sure about the rest. Mercedes have some work to do – more tire testing perhaps. :)
        5 is probably a bit harsh as I was a bit annoyed with LH loosing the second place. In retrospect, Vettel did a superb job and there were some fair fights which is always nice to watch.

• Steve McGrath (@) said on 9th June 2013, 21:29

I can’t work that out – The early gap Vettel got over the Mercs. I thought they may have been racing to a delta early on. For Lewis to get 19 laps out of the supersofts there was some sort of tyre saving going on although I don’t think the Merc is as quick with a full tank of fuel as the RBR.
          The tyre deg improvement from Mercedes is surely no coincidence!?

• clappy (@danielc) said on 9th June 2013, 21:09

Max what did you think of Ham today dude, I was really impressed considering he as been struggling lately Ros was really worrying me. I know its Canada and Ham is good here but Ros has also never been beat bye a teammate at this track so to be faster in most sessions and a big gap in pace all race really although Merc went diff strategy he still dominated.

And wow at Vet like I said I never use to like the guy I now like him a lot 2nd fav perhaps behing Hammy. Everyone predicted Alo would run away with it but it didn’t happen.

• Max Jacobson (@vettel1) said on 9th June 2013, 21:19

@danielc Hamilton had a very solid performance I thought, particularly given Rosberg’s woes! I thought he maybe could’ve pushed Alonso a bit harder towards the end but he managed his tyres well and put in a very good qualifying performance so yes he did about the best he could in the circumstances!

It’s good to see someone appreciating a good drive also irrespective of the driver ;)

• clappy (@danielc) said on 9th June 2013, 22:03

Vet is a class act my friend, I don’t rate webber though as consistency is not his strong point. Id like to see Vet with a stronger teammate just to put the doubts to rest(no doubts from me).

It would just be good to see him in a car with Alo or Ham wouldn’t it. I think if he had a 5 year run with 1 0f those he would either win 3-2 in seasons or lose 3-2, they would all be faster at diff points.

That is the only reason I think people doubt Vet all because we have seen Alo v Ham. Its not Vet fault his records spk for their self im not sure many could have his statistics, especially qually wise maybe only Lewis.

3. DaveF1 (@davef1) said on 9th June 2013, 20:50

Meh, it was pretty boring.

4. MahavirShah (@mahavirshah) said on 9th June 2013, 20:51

Halfway through the race I could have sworn we were back in Valencia. Very odd that Canada was such a dry affair, I mean when only the top 5 finished on the same lap, something was definitely not right. Maybe the rain caused the track to be so green that no one really wanted to push. As a result it felt like everyone was waiting for something to happen, maybe a safety car or a cloudburst. This has to be the most boring race in Montreal I have seen.

5. Traverse (@) said on 9th June 2013, 20:52

Very good race 6/10
    I was amazed by di Resta’s ability to conserve his tyres whilst maintaining a competitive race pace, the same can’t be said for Sutil who clearly let his personal feelings for Hamilton overrule his duty as a race driver to obey the rules.

6. Captain Sorbet (@captain-sorbet) said on 9th June 2013, 20:54

So people are praising the fact that drivers are “able to push”. Is it just a coincidence that Vettel ploughed the rest of the grid? Do people really want to see the same thing every race? He may be one of the most talented drivers ever, but he is also one of the most consistently dull on track… Sorry Seb, but it’s true!

• Max Jacobson (@vettel1) said on 9th June 2013, 20:58

@captain-sorbet that to me shows that Red Bull have the best car. Aren’t the best supposed to win I may ask?

Besides, even though up front the battle was non-existent it was still there in the rest of the field just as in 2011; this is no 2004!

• Captain Sorbet (@captain-sorbet) said on 9th June 2013, 21:20

Yeah, fair point. The best car/driver is meant to win… I just worry that people aren’t being careful for what they wish for. 2004 is certainly not what anyone wants, even someone calling themselves a ‘purist’ shouldn’t want that…

It was a decent race, with a lot going on everywhere but I hate the thought of RB running away with it…

• Max Jacobson (@vettel1) said on 9th June 2013, 23:05

@captain-sorbet agreed: from an F1 fan’s perspective it’s not nice to see anyone run away with it (even if I do really like the driver, who could tell by my @mention)! I suppose though at least the racing is good enough unlike 2004 as you’ve said!

7. raddie (@raddie) said on 9th June 2013, 20:54

6 – a little bit boring

8. David-A (@david-a) said on 9th June 2013, 20:56

+ Drivers able to push
    + Good battle for 2nd, Massa also passing a few

• Guilherme (@guilherme) said on 9th June 2013, 21:03

@david-a +1 on the ratings.

People saying that we are back to the early ’00 are completely out of touch with reality. For the first 6 races I’ve seen people complaining about drivers not being able to push, being told to race to delta times from lap one, and for once that wasn’t the case in this race, drivers could finally push or make different strategies work (look at di Resta), and I’m just glad we had a race where drivers could on a decent pace (unlike Monaco and Catalunya).

The only bad things were the effectiveness of the DRS – as always – the lack of battle for 1st place and the ridiculous booing at the end.

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 9th June 2013, 21:18

yeah, apart from the Lull in the middle, and DRS cutting several really beautiful defensive drives short (Rosberg, Bottas, Sutil, …) it was a solid race really.

• David-A (@david-a) said on 9th June 2013, 21:19

For some reason my post got cut off.

I also meant to put:

– Little battle for lead
      – Poor crowd on the podium

9. Jimmy Hearn (@alebelly74) said on 9th June 2013, 20:59

Good to see everyone pushing the pace with little disregard to tyre degradation. As I said before, Lotus who were so proud that they had these tyres solved, really had nothing solved. The tyres are going to come and go, in and out of each cars sweet spot, all through the season; there is little consistency in the tyre Pirelli produces.

10. Antonio Nartea (@tony031r) said on 9th June 2013, 20:59

I think this race proved DRS and the Pirellis are not the only things that are fundamentally wrong with F1 in the current era.

We had a race where everyone was pretty much able to push and at the end of it all I can remember is seeing a bunch of drivers getting lapped, watching Massa highway-passing through the field, Alonso playing a very slow catch-up game with Webber and Hamilton, Sutil ruining his race (or getting his race ruined) three times and the Sauber guys making a fool of themselves.

While I’m aware we finally got to see “some” proper racing, somehow I still have the feeling F1 is yet to find its balance. One weekend we’re running delta lap times and witness random shuffles in the field, the next we’re having massive early-opening gaps and all but 4 drivers getting lapped…

In my book this was way too resemblant of the 2000-2004 era and I’m sorry to say it but this isn’t racing either, it’s just a different kind of lottery where the tyres are indeed not the decisive factor anymore…but the drivers aren’t either…

Anyway: 5 from me. And thank god Le Mans is coming…

11. JPedroCQF1 (@joao-pedro-cq) said on 9th June 2013, 21:01

8/10

Good batttles on track all over the field, despite the domination from Vettel. Good, entertaining race.

12. A solid 7.
    No real battle for the lead but we got to see most drivers pushing like crazy and some great battles.
    Di Resta even managed to do a 1:18 after spending 50+ laps on one set of mediums.

Impressive performance from Vettel, Alonso, Vergne and Di Resta.
    They should’ve dropped the second DRS zone and make the first one longer or vice-versa.

13. Calum (@calum) said on 9th June 2013, 21:03

Nice to get a race without much mention of “rubber compound, ring-shaped wheel covers” – Canada delivers once again!

14. JackySteeg (@jackysteeg) said on 9th June 2013, 21:04

Not the dullest race ever but certainly the worst Canadian GP I can remember. 5/10 simply because I can’t bring myself to give my favourite track a lower rating.

15. Jon Sandor (@jonsan) said on 9th June 2013, 21:04

I gave it a 7. It wasn’t really fantastic, but compared to what we’ve seen so far this season – one of the dismal seasons I can remember – it was decent. Tyres were not the single biggest factor for a change, which is worth a point or two.

So, will we now see Lotus demanding that the tyres be changed immediately, and Red Bull insisting that they’re fine the way they are? Shockingly bad result for Lotus and Kimi. I was hoping Kimi would mount a strong challenge this year and save us from yet another Vettel/Alonso showdown.

• tmekt (@tmekt) said on 10th June 2013, 11:21

Lotus’ result was mostly down to bad qualifying and Kimi had technical difficulties in the race, especially with brakes (even as bad as them completely disappearing at some point).

They opted for a dry setup which sacrificed the quali but apparently didn’t work in the race either. Certainly a race to forget for Lotus.