Rate the race: 2013 Canadian Grand Prix

2013 Canadian Grand Prix

Fernando Alonso, Ferrari, Circuit Gilles Villeneuve, Montreal, 2013What did you think of the today’s race? Share your verdict on the Canadian Grand Prix.

Rate the race out of ten and leave a comment below:

Rate the 2013 Canadian Grand Prix out of ten

• 1 (4%)
  • 2 (3%)
  • 3 (3%)
  • 4 (7%)
  • 5 (8%)
  • 6 (22%)
  • 7 (26%)
  • 8 (20%)
  • 9 (5%)
  • 10 (2%)

Total Voters: 586

Loading ... Loading ...

1 = ‘Terrible’, 10 = ‘Perfect’

See the results for past seasons here:

2013 Canadian Grand Prix

Browse all 2013 Canadian Grand Prix articles

Image ?? Ferrari/Ercole Colombo

212 comments on Rate the race: 2013 Canadian Grand Prix

1. Captain Sorbet (@captain-sorbet) said on 9th June 2013, 20:54

So people are praising the fact that drivers are “able to push”. Is it just a coincidence that Vettel ploughed the rest of the grid? Do people really want to see the same thing every race? He may be one of the most talented drivers ever, but he is also one of the most consistently dull on track… Sorry Seb, but it’s true!

• Max Jacobson (@vettel1) said on 9th June 2013, 20:58

@captain-sorbet that to me shows that Red Bull have the best car. Aren’t the best supposed to win I may ask?

Besides, even though up front the battle was non-existent it was still there in the rest of the field just as in 2011; this is no 2004!

• Captain Sorbet (@captain-sorbet) said on 9th June 2013, 21:20

Yeah, fair point. The best car/driver is meant to win… I just worry that people aren’t being careful for what they wish for. 2004 is certainly not what anyone wants, even someone calling themselves a ‘purist’ shouldn’t want that…

It was a decent race, with a lot going on everywhere but I hate the thought of RB running away with it…

• Max Jacobson (@vettel1) said on 9th June 2013, 23:05

@captain-sorbet agreed: from an F1 fan’s perspective it’s not nice to see anyone run away with it (even if I do really like the driver, who could tell by my @mention)! I suppose though at least the racing is good enough unlike 2004 as you’ve said!

2. raddie (@raddie) said on 9th June 2013, 20:54

6 – a little bit boring

3. David-A (@david-a) said on 9th June 2013, 20:56

+ Drivers able to push
    + Good battle for 2nd, Massa also passing a few

• Guilherme (@guilherme) said on 9th June 2013, 21:03

@david-a +1 on the ratings.

People saying that we are back to the early ’00 are completely out of touch with reality. For the first 6 races I’ve seen people complaining about drivers not being able to push, being told to race to delta times from lap one, and for once that wasn’t the case in this race, drivers could finally push or make different strategies work (look at di Resta), and I’m just glad we had a race where drivers could on a decent pace (unlike Monaco and Catalunya).

The only bad things were the effectiveness of the DRS – as always – the lack of battle for 1st place and the ridiculous booing at the end.

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 9th June 2013, 21:18

yeah, apart from the Lull in the middle, and DRS cutting several really beautiful defensive drives short (Rosberg, Bottas, Sutil, …) it was a solid race really.

• David-A (@david-a) said on 9th June 2013, 21:19

For some reason my post got cut off.

I also meant to put:

– Little battle for lead
      – Poor crowd on the podium

4. Jimmy Hearn (@alebelly74) said on 9th June 2013, 20:59

Good to see everyone pushing the pace with little disregard to tyre degradation. As I said before, Lotus who were so proud that they had these tyres solved, really had nothing solved. The tyres are going to come and go, in and out of each cars sweet spot, all through the season; there is little consistency in the tyre Pirelli produces.

5. Antonio Nartea (@tony031r) said on 9th June 2013, 20:59

I think this race proved DRS and the Pirellis are not the only things that are fundamentally wrong with F1 in the current era.

We had a race where everyone was pretty much able to push and at the end of it all I can remember is seeing a bunch of drivers getting lapped, watching Massa highway-passing through the field, Alonso playing a very slow catch-up game with Webber and Hamilton, Sutil ruining his race (or getting his race ruined) three times and the Sauber guys making a fool of themselves.

While I’m aware we finally got to see “some” proper racing, somehow I still have the feeling F1 is yet to find its balance. One weekend we’re running delta lap times and witness random shuffles in the field, the next we’re having massive early-opening gaps and all but 4 drivers getting lapped…

In my book this was way too resemblant of the 2000-2004 era and I’m sorry to say it but this isn’t racing either, it’s just a different kind of lottery where the tyres are indeed not the decisive factor anymore…but the drivers aren’t either…

Anyway: 5 from me. And thank god Le Mans is coming…

6. JPedroCQF1 (@joao-pedro-cq) said on 9th June 2013, 21:01

8/10

Good batttles on track all over the field, despite the domination from Vettel. Good, entertaining race.

7. A solid 7.
    No real battle for the lead but we got to see most drivers pushing like crazy and some great battles.
    Di Resta even managed to do a 1:18 after spending 50+ laps on one set of mediums.

Impressive performance from Vettel, Alonso, Vergne and Di Resta.
    They should’ve dropped the second DRS zone and make the first one longer or vice-versa.

8. Calum (@calum) said on 9th June 2013, 21:03

Nice to get a race without much mention of “rubber compound, ring-shaped wheel covers” – Canada delivers once again!

9. JackySteeg (@jackysteeg) said on 9th June 2013, 21:04

Not the dullest race ever but certainly the worst Canadian GP I can remember. 5/10 simply because I can’t bring myself to give my favourite track a lower rating.

10. Jon Sandor (@jonsan) said on 9th June 2013, 21:04

I gave it a 7. It wasn’t really fantastic, but compared to what we’ve seen so far this season – one of the dismal seasons I can remember – it was decent. Tyres were not the single biggest factor for a change, which is worth a point or two.

So, will we now see Lotus demanding that the tyres be changed immediately, and Red Bull insisting that they’re fine the way they are? Shockingly bad result for Lotus and Kimi. I was hoping Kimi would mount a strong challenge this year and save us from yet another Vettel/Alonso showdown.

• tmekt (@tmekt) said on 10th June 2013, 11:21

Lotus’ result was mostly down to bad qualifying and Kimi had technical difficulties in the race, especially with brakes (even as bad as them completely disappearing at some point).

They opted for a dry setup which sacrificed the quali but apparently didn’t work in the race either. Certainly a race to forget for Lotus.

11. Pennyroyal tea (@peartree) said on 9th June 2013, 21:04

I told you the results on Friday…At this point it’s easy to predict who’s the strongest at each venue or weather condition. I predicted on Friday a runaway victory for Vettel, today Sunday that’s the headline of the news. Red Bull have always been fast here, for some reason they never converted those 2 poles but now there was virtually nothing to take their victory away.

12. JamieFranklinF1 (@jamiefranklinf1) said on 9th June 2013, 21:05

I really don’t know what you guys were watching, or why you’re complaining. Many of you have been saying how you hate the tyres and the delta times etc. We got a race where drivers were pushing, there was some great wheel to wheel racing out on track, and DRS wasn’t as effective as it has been here in the past and yet it’s still boring, or not enough?

Well, I enjoyed it. Disappointing day for McLaren, but it was great to see Alonso get up to second, and looking forward to the British GP.

13. Stefan Kelly (@brawngp) said on 9th June 2013, 21:05

Not The best Canadian GP I’ve seen but the warm up lap alone was better than the last race at Monaco! Gave it 8, solid race.

14. Slr (@slr) said on 9th June 2013, 21:07

8/10 for me. There was no battle for the lead, but we saw plenty of good racing behind Vettel.

• Magnificent Geoffrey (@magnificent-geoffrey) said on 9th June 2013, 21:56

@slr Agreed. Lots going on to keep you entertained without any long, boring lulls in action.

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 10th June 2013, 7:57

I think 8/10 is a bit high for it @slr, there was a lull in the middle part and too many DRS passes that ended a very good battle (ROS-WEB-ALO as well as SUT-MAS for example), but it certainly was a very solid race.

15. MacLeod (@macleod) said on 9th June 2013, 21:08

maybe a 5 was to much the double drs was too much should be only one. And i saw not many overtakes bad tv coverage.

16. clappy (@danielc) said on 9th June 2013, 21:10

Maclaren must not like it(I no car is not the best but come on) that they have the same drivers for next year they need to get a new one in im thinking Hukenberg or even try get Rai back. I think if they had a choice and But was not such a great character they would probably have him only race this year and next with the new regs. I think he is gradually on the wane.

• Antonio Nartea (@tony031r) said on 9th June 2013, 21:50

@danielc

they need to get a new one in, I’m thinking Hukenberg

Yeah, because Hulk is doing such a greater job in that Sauber than Button and Perez are in that equally bad McLaren…
      I’m sorry but if Button and Perez are overrated, then so is Hulkenberg. None of the three are managing even the slightest over-performance at the moment, so I find it hard to imagine how one would do better than the other in the current McLaren.

Bringing Hulkenberg in as a replacement for either Perez or Button at the moment would be like switching Grosjean for Maldonado. Absolutely pointless.

• clappy (@danielc) said on 9th June 2013, 22:33

ok well im sorry but Hulkenberg in the Sauber is not comparable, im not saying their bad I think Perez is doing ok I just think they could do with 1 better driver that’s all they don’t heve out and out pace in the car or driver maybe Hulk is a bad choice on this season, but PDR is doing great and in Hulks first year back after a yr out he handidly beat paul. It just must be frustrating for them, can you honestly see them even going close when the car is as fast as the others I cant. I bet they regret not having Ham he is more the future than But.

17. FullSpe3d (@dryyoshi) said on 9th June 2013, 21:11

5/10
    Feels like the Schumacher era in the early 2000’s. At least tyres weren’t too much of a factor and DRS was not as unfair as expected but a lack of action all around the circuit in the end.

18. Mike Dee (@mike-dee) said on 9th June 2013, 21:12

Although Vettel did not make it too interesting for the win, it was pretty good behind him. A bit too much DRS still, but much less than I feared when seeing the double DRS straights.

Surprised to see only 5 cars on the lead lap (and Rosberg was not far from being lapped).

19. TMF (@tmf42) said on 9th June 2013, 21:13

8/10 tires that hold brought us a good race. DRS was a bit stupid here and made for too many artificial overtakes, but other than that it’s exactly how F1 should be.

20. Zantkiller (@zantkiller) said on 9th June 2013, 21:14

Boring race.

Completely sympathise with the people booing.

• Makana (@makana) said on 9th June 2013, 21:42

And why were they booing? Because Seb was flying at the front? Or because DRS was the actual excitment killer one again…