Rate the race: 2013 Canadian Grand Prix

2013 Canadian Grand Prix

Fernando Alonso, Ferrari, Circuit Gilles Villeneuve, Montreal, 2013What did you think of the today’s race? Share your verdict on the Canadian Grand Prix.

Rate the race out of ten and leave a comment below:

Rate the 2013 Canadian Grand Prix out of ten

• 1 (4%)
  • 2 (3%)
  • 3 (3%)
  • 4 (7%)
  • 5 (8%)
  • 6 (22%)
  • 7 (26%)
  • 8 (20%)
  • 9 (5%)
  • 10 (2%)

Total Voters: 586

Loading ... Loading ...

1 = ‘Terrible’, 10 = ‘Perfect’

See the results for past seasons here:

2013 Canadian Grand Prix

Browse all 2013 Canadian Grand Prix articles

Image ?é?® Ferrari/Ercole Colombo

212 comments on Rate the race: 2013 Canadian Grand Prix

1. Colossal Squid (@colossal-squid) said on 9th June 2013, 22:34

Other than Vettel’s dominance, there were interesting battles throughout the field, particularly Alonso-Hamilton and Webber-Rosberg. I thought DRS wasn’t overpowered, and I was happy to see drivers pushing on the medium tyres towards the end of the race. Overall, I enjoyed the race but it didn’t blow me away. A solid 7.

2. Antonio (@antoniocorleone) said on 9th June 2013, 22:35

I think it was the second best race of the year (after Bahrain – never thought I’d ever say that) with lot of quallity racing and the Drivers seemed to be pushing all the time. Tyres weren’t the main factor in this one thats why I gave it a 8/10.
    It seems that when it comes to circuits that require good traction and rear tyres, Red Bull dominates, and when its all about front tyres (example: Barcelona, China) than Ferrari seems to get the best out of it. In Silverstone it will be a little bit of both and its going to be great to see who comes out on top there.

3. clappy (@danielc) said on 9th June 2013, 22:35

Alo walking it based on practise was wide of the mark.

4. yuya (@john-locke) said on 9th June 2013, 22:47

8/10

Alonso saved this race..

5. Mihkel (@kossur7) said on 9th June 2013, 22:50

One question – were the tyres changed before this race or not? There was an example of new tyres on Friday, I get that. And these tyres are supposed to be used from Silverstone til the end of the season if all the teams agree. But it is not possible that the tyres with the same softness level where used at this race and at Barcelona. Alonso beat Vettel in Barcelona by 35 secs or something like that. And today Vettel beat Alonso by 20 secs. It is not possible. The differnce is almost a minute. It seems that Red Bull was the one who also had a secret testing day or something cheatish again
    Also it seems that if the new tyres, which are harder, will be used from Silverstone onwards, there will be some one stoppers at the end of the year beacuse today some cars managed to do only one stop.

• beneboy (@beneboy) said on 9th June 2013, 23:58

@kossur7
      I don’t think the tires have been changed, there was no announcement on SKY.
      Barcelona and Montreal are very different circuits, for example: Barcelona is one of the highest tire wear circuits, Montreal is one of the lowest, Barcelona has some long and very fast corners, Montreal doesn’t.
      The weather conditions this weekend will have had quite a big effect too, most of the practice sessions were wet or damp so setting up the car would have been more difficult and there would have been a fair amount of guessing involved. The track wouldn’t have the normal amount of rubbering in either so it probably changed quite a bit more than normal during the race.

6. obviously said on 9th June 2013, 23:01

Vettel was able to run fast because there are no high speed corners which are the strength of Ferrari and Lotus and weakness for Red Bull and Mercedes, but quite a few slow speed corners that require a good traction, which is a strength of Red Bull and Mercedes. It’s coincidence that tracks came up in this order.
    If tyre usage between teams is more or less like in Spain, you can expect Silverstone, Nirburgring, Hugaroring and Spa to be perfectly suited for Ferrari and Lotus, while Red Bull and Mercedes will have to settle for 4th or lower. Especially with Force India’s strong pace at tracks like Silverstone and Spa.

7. Cryptowillem (@cryptowillem) said on 9th June 2013, 23:45

I gave it an 8.

Yes, Vettel ran away with it up front, but there were some great battles all the way down the field. Great performances from a few drivers, and plenty of overtaking without always talking about tires.

8. Angelia (@angelia) said on 9th June 2013, 23:55

5 – The race was boring. The medium tyres lasted to long, and there wasn’t enough room for variation of strategies. The field was spread out to much. It does seem a bit reminiscent to the ’00’s years.

9. JoeLegssss said on 10th June 2013, 0:20

Horrific news about the Marshall that lost his life. Tragic

10. tmax (@tmax) said on 10th June 2013, 0:23

Good Job by Vettel. Sorry to see some of those Ferrari fans booing him. Not very Tifosi like.

Gave the race 6/10. Not a bad one for a nice Sunday afternoon. Not too spicy , not too sweet. Just around the medium. I was expecting a little bit of rain or safety car to spice it up a bit though .

What happened to Kimi ? He was totally out of pace .It looks like Lotus is only able to conserve tires and not race fast. it becomes a challenge for them when others are able to manage their tires.

And the McLaren …. Jenson disappointed face after the race in the interview said it all. Being lapped, beaten handsomely beaten by Force India and Torro Rossi they are relegating themselves to midfield. Needless to say the once supreme Williams Renault is a back market now. Good Job by Botas. It is just a matter of time some big team picks him. McLaren maybe ?

11. JoeLegssss said on 10th June 2013, 0:23

Very annoying actually when you remember that year when the marshals were running about in the first sector and one guy fell over. I hope they changed their protocol or improved the marshals training after that near miss.

12. f1freek (@f1freek) said on 10th June 2013, 0:26

I don’t understand why so many are against DRS. There was plenty of overtaking with the drivers push ing hard and the DRS advantage wasn’t really that much, Alonso was going to pass Lewis no matter what, the Ferrari was way quicker on a straight line.

13. Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 10th June 2013, 0:33

I didn’t get the chance to watch the race – it was on at too impractical a time. But between the usual complaints about DRS and the tyres, and yet another victory where nobody looked like challenging Vettel, I don’t think I missed much.

In fact, I think I’m pretty much done with Formula 1 this year. There was a time not so long ago when missing a race was almost unthinkable. Now I couldn’t care less.

• David-A (@david-a) said on 10th June 2013, 5:12

See ya.

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 10th June 2013, 8:23

I think the race was certainly worth watching, if you get a chance of something like the BBC highlights, go for it.
      The defensive driving from Bottas right after the start, the nice battle for 10th between Massa and Sutil that went on for several laps as well as the battle for 3rd between Rosberg, Webber and Alonso early on were all definitely worth it, even if I feel that they were in the end cut short by DRS passes @prisoner-monkeys

• Lachie (@lachie) said on 10th June 2013, 8:24

Completely agree. F1 has become a chore to keep up with and this race just sealed it.

• MazdaChris (@mazdachris) said on 10th June 2013, 10:55

@prisoner-monkeys

Other than the Vettel win, those are the same comments you see after literally every race.

For me, it was a good race. Not a classic, by any means, but plenty of good battles and close racing, plus lots of flat out driving which people have been screaming for all year.

A solid 7/10, though sadly overshadowed by the tragic death of one of the track marshals.

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 10th June 2013, 11:29

@mazdachris

Yeah, but the difference is that I’m the one saying them when I never thought I would. I’ve defended DRS and Pirelli extensively in the past, but now I’ve had enough. I still think the systems have merit – I’m just sick of hearing everyone complain about them.

• MazdaChris (@mazdachris) said on 10th June 2013, 11:42

@prisoner-monkeys

Well if that’s the way you feel then fair enough. I’d say then the best thing is to vote with your feet and stop watching. The worst thing people can do is moan and moan but keep watching. I know loads of people who, for instance, claim to hate shows like X-Factor, the Voice, and so on, yet seem to tune in religiously week after week. The only way things will ever change is if the viewership declines. I think it’s a shame you feel that way – I agree that to me, DRS is not a good thing to have, and it’s not the right solution to the problem. But I don’t have an issue with KERS, nor a problem with tyre degredation (so long as it’s within reason), but to me DRS takes away from the purity of the racing. But I still enjoy tuning in week after week, and I must say I enjoy it a hell of a lot more than I did in the nineties and noughties, because generally even a ‘boring’ race is still one where you get a lot of battling on track. Compared to ten, twenty years ago where there was virtually no action.

But of course, each to their own, and I’d urge anyone who does feel that way to genuinely stop watching, because it’s the only way to make your opinion felt.

• Robbie (@robbie) said on 10th June 2013, 14:11

I do get the sentiment here, although I think I’m too ‘weak’ to leave F1 quite yet. It’s still ‘unthinkable’ for me. I always start every race thinking that anything can happen. Glad prisoner-monkeys is saying ‘this year’ though and I assume you will give it another chance next year with the major reg changes.

For me this race wasn’t about how effective DRS was or wasn’t, and I don’t buy most people’s opinion that they weren’t running to delta times. I think many were. I think some were anticipating tire issues, due to recent experiences, even if the issues didn’t quite rear their ugly heads this time.

For me, I still think the very existance of DRS takes something away from the racing…doesn’t matter if only a few passes were made from it in Canada…it’s there and therefore affects how they run their race. And I hate seeing ‘the inevitable’ where it’s not even a question as to whether a guy is going to be passed or not. It’s that feeling that you know he’s a sitting duck that gets to me.

My opinion after and during this race was…so what do need DRS for again? What do we need degrady tires for again? To avoid processions? To shake up the grid? To make things less predictable? None of that happened in Canada, so it really showed me once again that they need to limit dependancy on aero and the dirty air effect as the only way to shake things up.

The most striking thing for me was the gaps between the runners, and the fact that eveyone after NR who came fifth, got lapped. Obviously, at least for this race, crappy tires and DRS did nothing to ‘help.’ Stable grippy tires, no DRS, and much less aero, and there’d be a much closer field with seat of the pants passes.

14. beneboy (@beneboy) said on 10th June 2013, 0:35

I was going to give it a 6 but after thinking about it and reading some of the negative comments I ended up giving the race a 7. It wasn’t the best race we’ve ever seen in Montreal but that’s a particularly difficult standard to live up to given some of the amazing races we’ve had here over the years.
    Vettel was outstanding and no-one could get near him for the win and DRS robbed us of a few good battles but they’re the only negatives that stood out in the race. There was plenty going on behind Vettel, most of the drivers were able to push quite hard for most of the race and there were several different strategies too with some guys stopping less than others and different compounds being used at different times in the race.

15. Nick (@npf1) said on 10th June 2013, 1:02

I gave it a 7. There were usually some battles around, Alonso’s drive was nice to follow, especially after he was a little behind before passing Bottas, it was interesting to follow drivers like Di Resta, Sutil, JEV, Massa. To be honest, I saw a lot of good drives today.

To be honest, my view might be influenced by never missing a race during the Schumacher era and thus being easily impressed, but it’s interesting to see a lot of commenters on here who I respect say they disliked this race and where F1 is going.