Sutil’s criticises ‘inconsistent FIA’ after penalty

2013 Canadian Grand Prix

Adrian Sutil, Force India, Circuit Gilles Villeneuve, Montreal, 2013Adrian Sutil criticised the decision of the FIA stewards to hand him a drive-through penalty during the Canadian Grand Prix.

Sutil was penalised for failing to respond to blue flags when he was being lapped by Lewis Hamilton and Fernando Alonso in the latter stages of the race.

“Quite disappointing with the drive-though,” Sutil said afterwards. “I was just racing Raikkonen, I was trying to push on. I gave them the straight to pass me, that’s where Hamilton overtook me then with the DRS as well.”

“So I thought, ‘OK’, they were one lap behind me but that’s usual in this kind of circuit. I spent many laps behind lapped cars until I got past.

“It’s just so inconsistent decision all the time by the FIA. it’s something I don’t understand.”

His team agreed with his view of the penalty, telling him on the radio after the race it was “harsh”. The stewards ruled Sutil had ignored blue flags from turn three to turn thirteen.

Sutil’s problems began when he tangled with Valtteri Bottas early in the race and spun. “That created all the problems,” he said.

“I saw a chance there to pass Bottas. He had a bad exit out of turn two and we were side-by-side into this first chicane and I was really inside on the kerb and it just spun me around so it was a racing incident.”

“Unlucky, but I was in that way still lucky to turn around the car and go on.”

2013 Canadian Grand Prix

Browse all 2013 Canadian Grand Prix articles

Image ?? Force India

34 comments on Sutil’s criticises ‘inconsistent FIA’ after penalty

1. celeste (@celeste) said on 10th June 2013, 1:33

Vengeance is a dish best serve cold…

2. uan (@uan) said on 10th June 2013, 1:59

No Adrian, they were not one lap behind you, they were 1 lap in front of you (that’s the whole point) — and you messed up Lewis’s defense against Alonso, because you allowed Alonso to close the gap on Lewis by not moving over. Sorry it sucked for you. Sucked more for Lewis.

3. matt90 (@matt90) said on 10th June 2013, 2:16

If he’s going to complain, it should only be about the leniency towards other drivers who ignored blues, as there was no doubt that Sutil completely deserved his penalty- it was in no way harsh. He admitted that he waited until the straight- that means he intentionally waited 2/3 of a lap. I assumed that he would at least go wide at the hairpin to allow them both past.

4. Red Andy (@red-andy) said on 10th June 2013, 8:11

Sutil wants to talk about inconsistency? Okay, let’s start with him…

5. Bobby (@f1bobby) said on 10th June 2013, 8:44

Penalty was totally justified – if Sutil didn’t realise what was going on behind him the team should have been telling him on the radio.

6. Fixy (@fixy) said on 10th June 2013, 10:43

I was under the impression Sutil was trying to help Hamilton by allowing him to use the DRS. He was just in front of Hamilton but never actually slowed him down, so I was surprised to see the penalty.