Marshal killed following Canadian Grand Prix incident

2013 Canadian Grand Prix

The FIA has confirmed a marshal lost his life following an incident at the circuit following the Canadian Grand Prix.

The following statement was issued by the FIA after today’s race:

“The FIA is sad to announce the death of a Formula 1 Grand Prix du Canada circuit worker, at 6:02 pm.

“The worker, a member of the Automobile Club de l’Ile Notre Dame, was the victim of an unfortunate accident that occurred at the end of this afternoon?s Formula 1 Grand Prix du Canada.

“The worker was helping to recover a car which had stopped during the race. The recovery vehicle had lifted the car to return it to the pits and while doing this the worker dropped his radio and attempted to pick it up. As he did this, he stumbled and was hit and run over by the recovery vehicle.

“The worker was transported via helicopter to Sacre-Coeur Hospital where he was treated by the traumatology department of Dr Ronald Denis, Deputy Chief Medical Officer and Dr Jacques Bouchard, Chief Medical Officer of the Grand Prix. Unfortunately, the worker succumbed to his injuries at the hospital.

“The FIA, l?Automobile Club de l?Ile Notre-Dame and the Formula One Grand Prix du Canada want to communicate their deepest condolences to the family and friends of the victim. The identity of the worker cannot be revealed at this time.”

2013 Canadian Grand Prix

Browse all 2013 Canadian Grand Prix articles

71 comments on Marshal killed following Canadian Grand Prix incident

1. Mr Lance said on 10th June 2013, 1:05

This is truly sad and shocking news. Deepest condolences to the marshals family and friends.

But it serves as yet another tragic reminder of the inherent danger that marshals face at every motorsport event.

2. MuzzleFlash (@muzzleflash) said on 10th June 2013, 1:07

Heartbreaking.

3. craig-o (@craig-o) said on 10th June 2013, 1:16

Horrible news, and it sent a chill down my spine when I read it. The exact same chill when I read about Dan Wheldon.

Marshalling is one of the most dangerous jobs in the world, and it’s a huge shame this had to happen. It was only inevitable that it was going to happen again in F1.

The jobs those men and women do are massively overlooked, and it’s painful to have to come to terms with the first death in our sport for a good 12 years now.

4. Guy Wenham said on 10th June 2013, 1:22

As racing drivers, we are so privileged to have these volunteers to help out of their own accord; without them we wouldn’t be racing and doing what we love to do. Such a shame to hear these stories. May he Rest In Peace and thoughts to the family and friends.

5. Rui Pedro Moreira said on 10th June 2013, 1:45

RIP

indeed it’s a shame but, why are those canadian marshals so clumsy?!

6. ChuckC (@ccassel) said on 10th June 2013, 2:01

Saw this from GS11 and wondered how he fared. They were still taking Gutierrez’ car back to the pits when people started rushing the track to get to the podium. It looked like he was run completely over by the lift. The ambulance came from across the track and was slightly delayed getting to him because of all the fans heading to the podium and then delayed again getting him out just because of how many people were in the area by the time they had him loaded. I suppose under the circumstances he was fortunate to have that much medical attention that close at hand. Even with the crowds the ambulance was out of the area within 5 minutes or so. Tragic that it still wasn’t sufficient to save his life.

I’m curious, if anyone knows, how much training the marshals have usually or what kind of safety procedures are standard? Earlier in the day we saw another near-miss with two marshals helping a lift remove one of the Formula 1600 cars from the support race. The front left tire was off and the suspension was hanging free and exposed. The two marshals were steadying the car, but as the lift ran over the kerb at T2 the car jerked pretty heavily and one of the marshals had to jump clear of catching a suspension rod in the chest.

Just have to echo what several other posters have said that this is definitely a sobering glimpse of the risks these guys are taking. I know I’ll look at it differently the next time I’m tempted to complain about how long a sector has been yellow flagged or how long the safety car has been out.

7. Dragon (@dragon88) said on 10th June 2013, 2:04

Gosh, that’s awful. Rest in peace.

8. jacob (@jack) said on 10th June 2013, 2:30

Awful RIP Motorsports in dangerous, no one should ever forget that.

9. S2G-Unit (@s2g-unit) said on 10th June 2013, 2:37

I was rushing to the podium when it happened. My friend was forced aside while running by security as he saw the marshal laying on the ground.

10. US_Peter (@us_peter) said on 10th June 2013, 2:44

Truly sickening. Thoughts are with the family.

11. Chris (@tophercheese21) said on 10th June 2013, 2:45

Horrible news. :(

My condolences to his family.

12. Coanda (@ming-mong) said on 10th June 2013, 2:55

Terrible news. Just put a dampening on the whole weekend. How ironic though as Martin was saying they shouldn’t have tried to move the car from that spot with only 4 laps to go and that double yellows would have been a better option as drivers hate to see crains & marshal’s running around like chickens so close to the track.

13. ed24f1 (@ed24f1) said on 10th June 2013, 3:27

I don’t think this incident is relevant to Brundle’s comments as the incident happened after the race and the car would’ve had to be returned to the pits regardless of what they did during the race.

• Hamilfan (@hamilfan) said on 10th June 2013, 3:46

I know but it is very ironic that he sensed danger , all the same .

• ChuckC (@ccassel) said on 10th June 2013, 3:53

Yeah, I’m not sure this was avoidable. Nothing to with cars on the track or anything else. It might’ve been better to wait until the pits/podium area were clear of fans, but it’s impossible to say if all that activity contributed to the incident at all; and if the car had still been there when the race ended it would’ve been mobbed by fans and the marshals would not have been able to do the recovery safely. Just a tragic accident.

14. xbx-117 (@xbx-117) said on 10th June 2013, 3:28

What an absolute shame. Terrible news to hear, and it’s such a sad reminder of how quickly someone can be lost.

15. xlr8r (@xlr8r) said on 10th June 2013, 4:07

Wow, I was there at the race sitting in the second corner. I did not see the fatal incident, but after the race I went down to the track opening after turn two on the outside after the grandstand to get on the track to run up to see the podium ceremony. Initially they did not let fans on the track, but just a few random vehicles and a couple of small cranes. I thought it was strange that they wanted all these vehicles diving on the circuit when they knew there would also be fans running towards the pits/podium. Once the anthem started playing, they let us out, and I sprinted as hard as I can remember towards the podium, but the marshals were busy moving vehicles and cranes around with all these fans running, and then I realized how dangerous this really was. I was running on the grass between the track and pit exit and even a tow truck followed right behind me on the grass honking for me to get out of the way. I got to the podium as the anthems finished. I think it would have been smarter to keep vehicles off until the podium rush is over. Or not let fans on the track (which would be hard to stop). But with both out there for those 10 minutes, it was chaos. Sad end to a wonderful Weekend.