Marshal killed following Canadian Grand Prix incident

2013 Canadian Grand Prix

The FIA has confirmed a marshal lost his life following an incident at the circuit following the Canadian Grand Prix.

The following statement was issued by the FIA after today’s race:

“The FIA is sad to announce the death of a Formula 1 Grand Prix du Canada circuit worker, at 6:02 pm.

“The worker, a member of the Automobile Club de l’Ile Notre Dame, was the victim of an unfortunate accident that occurred at the end of this afternoon?s Formula 1 Grand Prix du Canada.

“The worker was helping to recover a car which had stopped during the race. The recovery vehicle had lifted the car to return it to the pits and while doing this the worker dropped his radio and attempted to pick it up. As he did this, he stumbled and was hit and run over by the recovery vehicle.

“The worker was transported via helicopter to Sacre-Coeur Hospital where he was treated by the traumatology department of Dr Ronald Denis, Deputy Chief Medical Officer and Dr Jacques Bouchard, Chief Medical Officer of the Grand Prix. Unfortunately, the worker succumbed to his injuries at the hospital.

“The FIA, l?Automobile Club de l?Ile Notre-Dame and the Formula One Grand Prix du Canada want to communicate their deepest condolences to the family and friends of the victim. The identity of the worker cannot be revealed at this time.”

2013 Canadian Grand Prix

Browse all 2013 Canadian Grand Prix articles

71 comments on Marshal killed following Canadian Grand Prix incident

1. Kingshark (@kingshark) said on 10th June 2013, 4:53

RIP. :-(

2. Bazza Spock (@bazza-spock) said on 10th June 2013, 5:43

With all due respect to the family of the deceased, the canadian race organisation really need to get its **** together. The footage of _two_ marshalls stumbling along the side or right into the middle of the track from two (one) years ago still is very clear in my mind.

3. Fisha695 (@fisha695) said on 10th June 2013, 6:45

I may be wrong on this (I’m sure I am) but this is the first safety worker that I’ve heard of being killed since the 2004 death of Roy Weaver at Daytona Speedway in a NASCAR support series race. I mean I’m sure there has been some especially on the local/regional levels across the world, but as far as “big league” races go this is the first I can recall since 2004.

4. graigchq (@graigchq) said on 10th June 2013, 7:13

This really is sad news, and a stark reminder of why safety needs to remain paramount in all we do in Motorsport. Myself I am part of the East African Rally Championship, which next week sees our round in Tanzania come to Dar Es Salaam and I will be there as results officer for the week.
    Here in Tanzania we have had a series of safety seminars and meetings over the last few years that aim to tackle this kind of accident directly. Its easy to focus on the safety of the drivers, co-drivers and teams in service park or pits, but lets not forget the people that volunteer and put their lives at risk in other areas of the sport, not least someone like this who was removing the car for the safety of everyone else. I will be bringing this up in the first stewards meeting as a reminder that we all need to pay attention at all times, and that even in the top flight of motorsport (F1) there are accidents that can be as serious as this, and even when no cars are driving at full racing speeds. We need to keep our eyes open at all times, and remember our jobs when running these events anywhere in the world. An accident like this could kill the sport entirely in our country. Thoughts are with his family at this time.

5. Abdurahman (@) said on 10th June 2013, 7:15

Oh my goodness. Horrible. I think the FIA is going to have to foot the bill and set up a dedicated crash/recovery/tow truck/flat bed team that travels from race to race and has the absolute best gear and best training

6. fjv said on 10th June 2013, 7:21

With our deepest condolences to his family and friends, our thoughts are with you.

7. GeeMac (@geemac) said on 10th June 2013, 7:31

Such a shock to hear this news, my thoughts are with his family and friends.

8. JCost (@jcost) said on 10th June 2013, 7:39

Awful news.

R.I.P.

9. HiPn0tIc (@hipn0tic) said on 10th June 2013, 7:49

THese guys are heroes, and it’s because of them that GP and races in general can be held. They look like ghosts because they have a background job, but a relevant and important jobs, because if wasn’t for them, million of fans worldwide couldn’t see, and enjoy a real race. For them and for his family, my thoughts and thank you, it’s because of them that i can enjoy on the other side of the world the joys of the Gp’s.

10. Max Jacobson (@vettel1) said on 10th June 2013, 8:00

Horrible, horrible news, to me made especially dreadful considering Martin Brundle was discussing the dangers of having recovery vehicles out during the race.

It is such as shame to hear those that serve to protect life losing their own. RIP.

11. Joe Papp (@joepa) said on 10th June 2013, 8:10

Very sad – a tragedy even. I hope that lessons can be learned and applied to future GP’s to enhance safety not just of competitors, but also marshals, who have a thankless task…

12. Fixy (@fixy) said on 10th June 2013, 8:24

This is particularly sad as it doesn’t sound like something inevitable when it’s clear there’s nothing to do, but more like an unfortunate mix of events, something accidental which could have been avoided. What’s more, he was not doing his job but volunteering to help the event be made possible, it’s thanks to people like him that F1 can continue going on. It’s a shame this has happened and I’m certainly hoping it will never happen again.

13. Master firelee (@master-firelee) said on 10th June 2013, 9:01

That’s terrible to hear, may he/she R.I.P

14. sato113 (@sato113) said on 10th June 2013, 9:39

:( poor guy

15. caci99 (@caci99) said on 10th June 2013, 10:07

Such a sad and tragic news. Condolences to his family and friends.