Murray Walker diagnosed with ??mild? form of cancer

F1 Fanatic round-up

Murray Walker, McLaren MP4-12C dealership event, 2011In the round-up: Iconic British Formula 1 commentator Murray Walker has revealed that he has been diagnosed with a treatable form of cancer.

Links

Your daily digest of F1 news, views, features and more.

Murray Walker: F1 commentator diagnosed with cancer (BBC)

Murray Walker: “They’ve caught it incredibly early. It’s treatable, the doctors say my condition is mild and I’m very hopeful.”

Pirelli warns blocked tyre changes will mean four-stop races (Autosport)

Paul Hembery: “We would have needed to change the hard compound to avoid that, but to do that we would need the agreement from all the teams and we know that is not going to happen.”

??145 British Grand Prix tickets leave sales in the slow lane as fans rebel against price rises (Independent)

“The cheapest tickets for next?s Sunday?s race at Silverstone start at ??145 ?ǣ among the highest of any Grand Prix. This appears to have priced out many F1 enthusiasts as the downturn bites, with a course spokesman admitting to The Independent yesterday that sales ??aren?t that strong.??”

Ellinas to make test debut with Marussia this week (F1.com)

“Ellinas will conduct a scheduled straight-line aerodynamic evaluation with the team at the UK?s Kemble Airfield on Tuesday.”

Mercedes chief Toto Wolff says team ‘can do no more’ ahead of Testgate Tribunal hearing (SkyF1)

Toto Wolff: “On Thursday the judgement comes and we will see whether we can live with it. We have no feelings, neither a positive nor a negative. Our belief is we have done nothing wrong.”

Jenson Button says women will drive in Formula One again (Guardian)

Jenson Button: “It is possible. The big issue is that I don’t think women are given the opportunity at an early age. There are a couple of women racing in Nascar, have actually won races. I think it will change over the years, get women in [at] lower levels but it is a very demanding sport. It is specific training and taking time to get race fit. I personally think it’s possible.”

Tweets

Comment of the day

After news that Williams stand to lose ??20m after Jaguar pulled the plug on a joint supercar project, F1Fanatic reader @Colossal-Squid has sympathy for the Grove team.

Terrible to hear of more bad news for Williams. Not only are they having the worst season in their history but ??20m isn?t exactly pocket change for their organisation either. I really hope Williams can find some success and soon. I can?t imagine F1 without Williams, and I equally can?t imagine that a team as big as Williams can survive long while losing both on the track and off it.
@Colossal-Squid

From the forum

Which was the most boring grand prix in recent memory?

Happy birthday!

Happy birthday to Chris P!

On this day in F1

Denny Hulme, the 1967 world champion, was born on this day in 1936.

Hulme lost his life when he suffered a heart attack while competing in the Bathurst 1000 in 1992. At the age of 56, he was the first Formula One world champion to die of natural causes.

66 comments on Murray Walker diagnosed with ??mild? form of cancer

1. Joshua Mesh (@joshua-mesh) said on 18th June 2013, 0:12

I hope Murray gets well soon.

I dont mind seeing 4 stop races if it means they will not change the game (tyres) mid-season. I’d rather a team win it for the car they built than win it because the dice was re-thrown.

• Linda1 said on 18th June 2013, 1:08

I’d much rather they change the tyres because, Not so much because we could see more 4-stop races (Although I do think 4-stop races suck), But more because the tyre management seen with the 2013 tyres is just making the racing no fun to watch.

Seeing & hearing all the drivers been told to run to a lap delta, To slow down, To not race etc… is just boring to watch as a fan & is a big part of why I no longer watch all the races live, Its also a big part of why im not going to Silverstone this year having gone every year for the past 20+ years.

The 2013 tyres are just plain junk, Have killed the racing & made the entire sport a complete joke.

• HoHum (@hohum) said on 18th June 2013, 6:14

@joshua-mesh, You mean win it with the tyres that were built, the teams built their cars without knowledge of the tyres just as Pirelli built tyres without knowledge of the cars, either way its luck more than skill that makes a car that suits the tyres right out of the box.

• andy190 (@andy190) said on 18th June 2013, 6:35

@hohum The teams did test the 2013 tyres in Brazil at the end of last year, so they should at least have had an idea of what the tyres would be like.

It’s not Pirelli’s fault the teams didn’t design the cars with the tyres in mind.

Also, have you ever thought of becoming a Formula 1 Technical Director since you seem to know everything about how to make a car suit the tyres?

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 18th June 2013, 9:12

Lotus mentioned that they went from the data supplied by Pirelli before september 1st last year @hohum, I do not think its just luck, but rather making the right choices (you could say that is luck, but then being the first with other things – F-duct, exhaust blowing, flex FW that pass tests, etc, is also a lucky choice)

• Max Jacobson (@vettel1) said on 18th June 2013, 16:41

@hohum +1! The test tyres in Brazil were just that – test tyres. They weren’t a finalised compound and there only was one compound. Data is all well and good from a third party but it’s far better to have proper data on your own car. That’s why I consider it luck of the draw: I’d most definitely not have that opinion if Pirelli actually gave the teams finalised tyres to test well before the end of the season!

2. David-A (@david-a) said on 18th June 2013, 0:19

Sad news about Murray.

Here’s one of my favourites of his commentary: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQC06fWqEn4

3. Joe Papp (@joepa) said on 18th June 2013, 0:22

Even “mild” cancer can be terrible and terrifying at age 89, I would imagine, and I hope this doesn’t become more serious for Murray Walker. What a legend. Legend

4. nemo87 (@nemo87) said on 18th June 2013, 0:27

Call me ‘naive’ but why can’t we just have tyres that last lap after lap and bring back refuelling. Limit the cars to a certain sized tank. Therefore cars still have to pit for tyres and fuel but driver can race 100% from star to pit stop to end..

Can’t be THAT hard can it ;)

• Dizzy said on 18th June 2013, 1:03

Refueling coming back would be awful for the on-track racing as it would just move fuel strategy above on-track racing & move all the passing into the pit lane & off of the track, Just as it did before.

Overtaking stats plummeted as soon as refueling was introduced in 1994 & went back up as soon as it was banned in 2010. The stats show just how badly refueling hurt the racing.

• David-A (@david-a) said on 18th June 2013, 1:10

I’d prefer it if they went back to the way things were in 2010, with decent tyres, but with no EBD/DDD, DRS or KERS. I don’t hate F1 as it is or anything, but that would be my ideal. Also the overtaking stats mean little to nothing for excitement. They’re higher than ever, but a lot of the quality of that passing is low. It should at least be pretty difficult to overtake.

• Yorricksfriend (@yorricksfriend) said on 18th June 2013, 1:05

That’s what we had during the Schumacher era, it was boring. That’s why they changed it in the first place.

• Irejag (@irejag) said on 18th June 2013, 2:50

I would just like to see wheel to wheel racing from start to finish at every race. How to achieve that though is probably quite difficult. Every time someone has an idea, someone else brings up a valid point that nullifies it.
        From what I can see, if we want truly exciting racing, that would mean sacrificing driver safety, and while the drivers themselves might say they are okay with that, society in general would be against it.

• HoHum (@hohum) said on 18th June 2013, 6:19

I’d rather we went back to no pit-stops as we had in the 60′s and 70′s , Moto GP shows how it should be done.

• bull mello (@bullmello) said on 18th June 2013, 7:27

From a safety standpoint, it is good to not have refueling.

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 18th June 2013, 9:16

So you would change artificially making stops from the tyres going off for having a stop to refuel? I really fail to see the added value of that @nemo87.
      Drivers will still be told to hold position, to slow or to speed up reacting to what the engineers see in the data, and they will still try to eke out a stop less by driving more fuel efficient if they can.

Personally I think its good to have tyres that do not last all the race, but before I would go with your proposal, I would prefer what @hohum below proposes by far.

5. Spawinte (@spawinte) said on 18th June 2013, 0:54

Please please be OK Murray.

I assume that British GP ticket is Sunday only general admission? Absolutely ridiculous but then the escalator in the contract they signed along with getting the new facilities paid off means this will probably be the norm unless they renegotiate. I’d be in the car on my way to a camp site near Spa with a three day ticket rather than pay those prices.

6. nackavich (@nackavich) said on 18th June 2013, 1:39

I really would hate to be Pirellie right now.
    They’re damned if they do, damned if they don’t.

7. OmarR-Pepper (@omarr-pepper) said on 18th June 2013, 1:40

Jenson, Stirling Moss wants to talk to you

8. obviously said on 18th June 2013, 2:03

- I came here for a good argument!
    - AH, no you didn’t, you came here for an argument!

Serves me right. All this silly talk and even sillier suggestions. As someone pointed out some time ago, you don’t have a right to demand anything. You can turn off TV if you don’t find F1 amusing and don’t want to watch it, but I think the worst thing F1 could do is to listen to fans.
    Unless it is some extremely thorough and careful global market research, done with an aim to improve the F1 as it is, not to change it in order to improve its global reach, it will only make it worse.

9. joelegsss said on 18th June 2013, 2:22

indeed, i dont think the nhs gets the credit it deserves. millions of people owe their lives to the organisation. best wishes to murray though.

10. Zantkiller (@zantkiller) said on 18th June 2013, 3:02

The combined price of mine and my little brothers general admission tickets for Spa were £114.
    So no wonder people are turning away from going to Silverstone.

11. chiliz00 (@chiliz00) said on 18th June 2013, 3:43

Get well soon superstar champ Murray

12. Joe Papp (@joepa) said on 18th June 2013, 4:51

This appears to have priced out many F1 enthusiasts as the downturn bites…

@keithcollantine – Do Most / Few / None of the current FIA Formula 1 championship race promoters make profit on their events?

13. Pennyroyal tea (@peartree) said on 18th June 2013, 5:06

“Pirelli warns blocked tyre changes will mean four-stop races”

Well this is until Hungary, I expect. I think Hembery just wanted to warn people for what’s probably going to happen at Silverstone.
    Pirelli have been really pushing for the implementation of a tweaked hard compound as well. After testing the development hard tyre at Montmelo drivers confirmed that the new compound was at least more durable than the Medium compound. My fear is that Pirelli hasn’t got enough confidence on the current hard compound to survive the lateral g’s of Hungary even, let alone the barrage of high lateral G tracks from that point onwards.

14. the_sigman (@sigman1998) said on 18th June 2013, 5:50

Οh, no! Very sad news, get well soon!

15. q85 said on 18th June 2013, 7:09

why didnt williams fight tooth and nail to keep their exhausts like ferrari or red bull would of ??

instead they just laid down and accept it and probably wasted a fortune.

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 19th June 2013, 8:46

not sure what you are talking about there q85.

If you mean the gimmick on the exhaust exit during pre-season testing, that was not something Williams ever intended to use. Its purpose was more to both attrackt attention to it, and away from the blowing hubs, and to have the FIA clear position on these kind of things to make sure teams would not go the route Caterham were trying there.