Murray Walker diagnosed with ??mild? form of cancer

F1 Fanatic round-up

Murray Walker, McLaren MP4-12C dealership event, 2011In the round-up: Iconic British Formula 1 commentator Murray Walker has revealed that he has been diagnosed with a treatable form of cancer.

Links

Your daily digest of F1 news, views, features and more.

Murray Walker: F1 commentator diagnosed with cancer (BBC)

Murray Walker: “They’ve caught it incredibly early. It’s treatable, the doctors say my condition is mild and I’m very hopeful.”

Pirelli warns blocked tyre changes will mean four-stop races (Autosport)

Paul Hembery: “We would have needed to change the hard compound to avoid that, but to do that we would need the agreement from all the teams and we know that is not going to happen.”

??145 British Grand Prix tickets leave sales in the slow lane as fans rebel against price rises (Independent)

“The cheapest tickets for next?s Sunday?s race at Silverstone start at ??145 ?ǣ among the highest of any Grand Prix. This appears to have priced out many F1 enthusiasts as the downturn bites, with a course spokesman admitting to The Independent yesterday that sales ??aren?t that strong.??”

Ellinas to make test debut with Marussia this week (F1.com)

“Ellinas will conduct a scheduled straight-line aerodynamic evaluation with the team at the UK?s Kemble Airfield on Tuesday.”

Mercedes chief Toto Wolff says team ‘can do no more’ ahead of Testgate Tribunal hearing (SkyF1)

Toto Wolff: “On Thursday the judgement comes and we will see whether we can live with it. We have no feelings, neither a positive nor a negative. Our belief is we have done nothing wrong.”

Jenson Button says women will drive in Formula One again (Guardian)

Jenson Button: “It is possible. The big issue is that I don’t think women are given the opportunity at an early age. There are a couple of women racing in Nascar, have actually won races. I think it will change over the years, get women in [at] lower levels but it is a very demanding sport. It is specific training and taking time to get race fit. I personally think it’s possible.”

Tweets

Comment of the day

After news that Williams stand to lose ??20m after Jaguar pulled the plug on a joint supercar project, F1Fanatic reader @Colossal-Squid has sympathy for the Grove team.

Terrible to hear of more bad news for Williams. Not only are they having the worst season in their history but ??20m isn?t exactly pocket change for their organisation either. I really hope Williams can find some success and soon. I can?t imagine F1 without Williams, and I equally can?t imagine that a team as big as Williams can survive long while losing both on the track and off it.
@Colossal-Squid

From the forum

Which was the most boring grand prix in recent memory?

Happy birthday!

Happy birthday to Chris P!

On this day in F1

Denny Hulme, the 1967 world champion, was born on this day in 1936.

Hulme lost his life when he suffered a heart attack while competing in the Bathurst 1000 in 1992. At the age of 56, he was the first Formula One world champion to die of natural causes.

66 comments on Murray Walker diagnosed with ??mild? form of cancer

1. sato113 (@sato113) said on 18th June 2013, 8:06

If i saw sunday general admission tickets for 60 pounds or a seated ticket for 80 id snap one up and attend. But charging a small fortune really does price us out. And that upsets me.

2. John H (@john-h) said on 18th June 2013, 8:39

To be honest, Silverstone ticket prices have always been astronomical if you miss the earlybird rates. No one is mentioning it, but might it be the Sky effect starting to creep in? The downturn is 5 years old now so I’m not sure its because of that specifically.

• WilliamB (@william-brierty) said on 18th June 2013, 9:08

Sky effect? No, I call it the “Vettel effect” or even “the-effect-of-British-fans-realizing-that-Hamilton-isn’t actually-as-good-as-his-first-two-years-would-suggest effect”.

• “or even “the-effect-of-British-fans-realizing-that-Hamilton-isn’t actually-as-good-as-his-first-two-years-would-suggest effect””

Your not really that stupid, are you?

• WilliamB (@william-brierty) said on 18th June 2013, 13:40

No, it’s called s a r c a s m or being f a c e t i o u s. I’d Google them first if I were you before you try and quote them back to me.

• You must be new to the intarnets, sarcasm dosnt convey in words.

• WilliamB (@william-brierty) said on 19th June 2013, 8:37

I am new to the intarnet, but I have used the internet before. Surely if sarcasm is so blatantly overt, it is apparent to even the most hopeless, unperceptive, wide-eyed wonder? Do you spot it? Oh no, you didn’t did you.

3. WilliamB (@william-brierty) said on 18th June 2013, 9:03

sales “aren’t that strong.”

Yes! Not as many people to compete for Alonso’s autograph with!

4. Julien (@jlracing) said on 18th June 2013, 9:07

Well first of all get well soon Murray.

But I have to say the tickets at Silverstone are very expensive.
    I and a friend of mine go to the GP at the Nurburgring in a few weeks time.
    We have weekend tickets for standing places in front of the chicane, and they cost us £76 per person (89 euros).

Furthermore we sleep at a camping for £60 (70 euros) per person, including parking the car.

So for the whole weekend we pay only £136.
    And even that is cheaper than the cheapers tickets at Silverstone

• WilliamB (@william-brierty) said on 18th June 2013, 9:09

I’m paying £840 for Silverstone…although the seats are rather first rate.

• Maciek (@maciek) said on 18th June 2013, 14:39

I’m sorry, but that’s plain ridiculous. No three day sporting event is worth that kind of money if you’re anywhere near normal people income levels.

• WilliamB (@william-brierty) said on 19th June 2013, 8:42

@maciek – It’s incredible just how easily you can blow money on events. It’s not £840 just for me, two friends of mine are coming too, and it seems that I’ve been handed the bill. Once you’ve booked three decent hotel rooms and got a respectable hospitality package, it could easily have exceeded £1000.

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 19th June 2013, 8:51

I guess we can only congratulate you on being able to field that bill then @willaim-brierty!

Have a great time at the Silverstone race

5. Lucas Wilson (@full-throttle-f1) said on 18th June 2013, 12:01

@William-brierty

I almost chocked on my own spit when I read that.

• WilliamB (@william-brierty) said on 18th June 2013, 13:54

The cash I’m forking out or my glee at the dwindling British GP tickets sale all for the sake of my own greed? Let’s leave my selfish nature as a topic for another day by saying, if you nearly choked when you saw the cost, guess how I feel. There’s me, ordering early, the very first week the tickets became available and, er yep, got rather carried away. I completely forgot about Mr Osbourne’s austerity as I was gleefully selecting my hospitality pack, apparently blind to the ever fattening figure in the right hand column of my screen, and now I feel rather idiotic. For the price of sitting in a field in Hampshire with a glass of champagne I could have gone to Monaco and sat next to the best track in the world with a glass of Appletiser. I mean, let’s face it, overtaking or no overtaking, you’d obviously choose Monaco! And let’s not even mention what I’ve selected for my summer holiday to Spa! I am the stupidest man alive; or the biggest petrolhead alive, either or. No more Waitrose and John Lewis for me this year, instead it’s Aldi and Ikea!

6. Paul A (@paul-a) said on 18th June 2013, 14:34

On this “secret” versus “private” Pirelli/Mercedes test, I don’t remember seeing any press coverage, even by the specialized F1 media — and I have a lot of respect for their ability to “snoop things out.” Can anyone point me to any coverage during the three days in question?

7. F1Yankee (@f1yankee) said on 18th June 2013, 14:59

i wouldn’t be surprised if astronomical ticket prices doom f1 in the states. COTA is asking for superbowl price points, and frankly the demand will taper off after a couple years – not because there aren’t f1 fans here, but because it’s tough to justify a massive spend like that over and over, and they aren’t doing much to generate fresh interest.

8. Thought are with Murray Walker, one of the all time greatest motorsport contributors. £145 for Silverstone? Only a few years ago, well 7years its was £75. I used to go every year but since the steep increases I just cant justify it.

9. sonia luff (@sonia54) said on 19th June 2013, 14:46

Murray Walker ‘The Legend’ get well soon

10. mfDB (@mfdb) said on 19th June 2013, 15:28

According to the WHO, the UK ranked 27 and the US 33, with life expectancies of 80 and 79, respectively. Albania ranked 77th with an wxpectancy of 74. This is a 2012 study which they say is more accurate than the previous studies including the 2009 CIA study, but who knows. My point was that using the life expectancies as your argument for why Mr. walker shouldn’t come to the US is, in my opinion, wrong because they’re not that different. Our murder rate alone drops us below you and that has zero reflection on the healthcare system. Also, were dealing with 5 times the population, making it more complex than simple WHO and CIA statistics. That said, I also think that saying Mr. walker should come to the US for treatment is also wrong. I’m not trying to debate the 2 countries healthcare, I don’t know anything about yours. Looks like they could both improve. Our issues aren’t really with the standards of the care provided and how long we live, they’re mainly financial and ‘for sure’ the system is corrupt. Luckily, we’re reforming our system. Lets talk in 5 years to see if it worked.