Renault reveals 2014 F1 engine

2014 F1 season

Renault 2014 F1 engine launchRenault have revealed the engine which their teams will use during the 2014 F1 season.

The 2014 season will see teams ditch the existing 2.4-litre V8 normally-aspirated engines for new 1.6-litre V6s with sophisticated energy recovery technologies.

President of Renault Sport F1 Jean-Michel Jalinier introduced the new power unit, named Energy F1: “From next year, one of greatest challenges in F1 will be to maximise energy efficiency and fuel economy while maintaining the power output and performance expected of F1 cars.”

“Renault has pioneered this technology in its road car engine range with the Energy series. Naming the power unit Energy F1 creates an unbroken range, from the Clio through to our competition department.”

Renault engines have powered the world championship-winners for the last three seasons. They will continue to supply reigning champions Red Bull next year as well as Toro Rosso.

The complete engine unit for 2014 will be heavier than the current design, as director of programmes and customer support Axel Plasse explained:

“The current V8 is 95kg, 100kg if you add the weight of the MGU. This increases to 120kg when you include the ancillary parts, such as the radiators and other cooling devices. With the 2014 power unit, the V6 turbocharged engine will be a minimum of 145kg, plus 35kg for the battery. At 180kg, this is a 80% increase over the current units, plus a further 20kg for the ancillaries such as the intercooler and other radiators.

In response to speculation over how the new engines will sound, Renault have released an audio clip of theirs being revved. Deputy managing director (technical) said the engine will retain an appealling sound: “The sound of the engine is the sum of three principal components, exhaust, intake and mechanical noise. On fired engines, exhaust noise dominates, but the other two sources are not trivial and would be loud if the exhaust noise was suppressed and contribute to the perceived sound of the engines in the car.

Renault Energy F1, 2014 F1 engine“All three sources are still present on the V6. At the outset, there is more energy in each combustion event but there are fewer cylinders turning at lower speed and both intake and exhaust noise are attenuated by the turbo. Overall, the sound pressure level (so the perceived volume) is lower and the nature of the sound reflects the new architecture.

“The car will still accelerate and decelerate rapidly, with instant gearshifts. The engines remain high revving, ultra high output competition engines. Fundamentally the engine noise will still be loud. It will wake you from sleep, and circuit neighbours will still complain. The engine noise is just a turbocharged noise rather than a normally aspirated noise: you can just hear the turbo when the driver lifts off the throttle and the engine speed drops.

“I am sure some people will be nostalgic for the sound of engines from previous eras, including the preceding V8, but the sound of the new generation power units is just different. It?s like asking whether you like Motorhead or AC/DC. Ultimately it is a matter of personal taste. Both in concert are still pretty loud.”

2013 and 2014 Renault F1 engines compared

RS27 (2013) Energy F1 (2014)
Engine
Displacement 2.4 litres 1.6 litres
Rev limit 18,000rpm 15,000rpm
Pressure charging Normally aspirated, pressure charging is forbidden Single turbocharger, unlimited boost pressure (typical maximum 3.5 bar abs due to fuel flow limit)
Fuel flow limit Unlimited, but typically 170kg/h 100kg/h (-40%)
Permitted Fuel quantity per race Unlimited, but typically 160kg 100kg (-35%)
Configuration 90??? V8 90??? V6
Number of cylinders 8 6
Bore Max 98mm 80mm
Stroke Not regulated 53mm
Crank height Min 58mm 90mm
Number of valves 4 per cylinder: 32 4 per cylinder: 24
Exhausts Twin exhaust outlets, one per bank of cylinders Single exhaust outlet, from turbine on car centre line
Fuel Indirect fuel injection Direct fuel injection
Number of power units permitted per driver per year 8 5
Energy recovery systems
MGU-K rpm Unlimited (38,000 rpm) Max 50,000 rpm
MGU-K power Max 60kW Max 120kW
Energy recovered by MGU-K Max 0.4 MJ/lap Max 2MJ/lap
Energy released by MGU-K Max 0.4MJ/lap Max 4MJ/lap
MGU-H rpm >100,000rpm
Energy recovered by MGU-H Unlimited (> 2MJ/lap)

2014 F1 season

Browse all 2014 F1 season articles

Image ?? Renault

94 comments on Renault reveals 2014 F1 engine

1. slowhand (@slowhand) said on 21st June 2013, 16:34

5 “power units” for 21 races ? Hmmmm.

• Nick (@npf1) said on 22nd June 2013, 0:36

The way the engines were before the rules changed to 1 engine per weekend and so on, engines were basically designed to fall apart after the finish line. This meant you could stress them far beyond non-racing engines.

I didn’t like the rules at first, but to me, it seems that having to build and F1 engine, but making it last much longer, provides more relevant data to engine builders than making it last until the finish flag.

2. Spencer Ward (@sward28) said on 21st June 2013, 16:38

Just looking at the placement of the intercooler. In the case of a side impact crash, would they not have to replace the engine? With the number units per year going down to four, would that not be a trouble point? I mean if Massa had his two crashes at Monaco this year, next year, he would have been out two engines by now.

• Spencer Ward (@sward28) said on 21st June 2013, 16:43

Oh sorry, they will have five units next year, oversight on my part.

• DavidS (@davids) said on 22nd June 2013, 8:48

I don’t think the intercooler (and radiator – which is on the other side, not shown) are considered part of the engine.
      The intercooler is also connected to the engine via the intake plenum and the turbo compressor, which would also be replaceable items.

3. Royal-Spark (@royal-spark) said on 21st June 2013, 16:40

I wonder if the FIA will intervene if there is a performance gap between the three engines. What if one engine manufacturer simply designs a better internal combustion engine the other two? What if one engine is producing 640 bhp (475 kw) but the other is churning a whisker over 700bhp (522 kw)? And that’s before the extra power of the ERS is added into the power train.

4. StefMeister (@stefmeister) said on 21st June 2013, 16:55

Quite like the way that sounds, Kinda similar to the current Indycar V6 Turbo units although the F1 units will rev higher & have the ERS.
    Also bear in mind that the sound was recorded on the dyno, When out on track actually been driven it will likely sound even better.

I think we will hear a lot of bitching from people in early 2014, But once the racing starts Im betting a lot of that will die down. I remember the same back in 2006 when the V8’s came in, It was the death of F1 & people were never going to watch ever again because of how crap the cars were going to sound.

All that talk soon died down when the racing started & now some of those same people think the V8’s they protested about 7yrs ago should remain.

5. Regarding the asymmetry, Grosjean crashes your left side and the party is over.

6. DominikWilde (@dominikwilde) said on 21st June 2013, 18:57

I always thought the new engines would sound great, I hate the current V8s! I also thought by going to V6s they’d sound like IndyCars. I’m so glad my predictions were right, they do sound like IndyCars and they sound brilliant! I love the new sound!

To me, the V8 and even the later V10s just sound a a bit fake and annoying. I love the real sound a car makes, and this new noise seems to be real. I love it!

7. Chris26 said on 21st June 2013, 19:39

Honestly, i dont like the way it sounds. I dont care if it sounds like wrc, champ car or anything. F1 sound is F1 sound, there’s no substitute for it. Ive heard the current v8s on real life, and this is just not f1 for me, oh well, i may just have to get use to this.

8. Mouse_Nightshirt (@mouse_nightshirt) said on 21st June 2013, 20:12

I really wasn’t looking forward to it, but, I’m happy to say it sounds quite “pleasing” to my ears!

I am a bit too young to have seen the turbo era, so this will be a great induction to turbo racing at the pinnacle of single seater racing.

9. dutchtreat (@dutchtreat) said on 21st June 2013, 21:13

For those of you “Nostalgic” for past V12 and or high reving V10’s etc.. I suggest watch the Grand Prix with an MP3 soundtrack of your choice.

10. Eclypse said on 21st June 2013, 21:45

Great, just what F1 needed, a motor that sounds like an Indy car or “Old” champ car. I guess I’ll have to wait until the car is under load to make final judgement, but if this is progress, whats next, all battery power? That’ll almost be as cool as the Audi diesel tire and wind noise mobile! What brought me to F1 was the sound of a vehicle that was nearly as ferocious as a fighter jet. If F1 loses the spectacle of sound, IMO they’re losing one of their greatest attributes that attract people to the sport.

11. Nick (@npf1) said on 22nd June 2013, 0:40

While I’ve trained myself to be able to hear multiple layers in music, the video’s audio seems too chaotic for me to really get a good idea what the engine sounds like.

If anything, the teams could stop by eBay and get some ‘sports’ exhausts to spice up their sound.

12. esine said on 22nd June 2013, 3:55

While the move to the v6 turbo spec will be exciting from a technical standpoint, if anyone believes that the new engines are going to sound remotely as good as the engines from the 90s/early 2000s, then they are fooling themselves.

For example, have a look at this video, and in particular pay close attention at 0:45:

13. karter22 (@karter22) said on 22nd June 2013, 5:59

after hearing it, it´s ok I guess. I would just like it if it had more revs, I don´t mind the tone but, the lack of revs is sort of anti-climatic

14. MemorableC (@memorablec) said on 22nd June 2013, 7:54

Many people commenting on the engine sounding flat are forgetting that the engine is probably stationay and you are not getting any Doppler effect, i have a feeling that will make them come alive

• karter22 (@karter22) said on 22nd June 2013, 11:47

@memorablec
      you might be right but even a v8 or v10 on a bench is quite close to what is heard at a track! I just feel that if it reved a bit more it would sound awesome. I like the sound it´s just the peak note that it produces which I personally do not like.

15. Martin (@andone89) said on 22nd June 2013, 11:50

Why this engine has only 1 radiator bolted on?
    And how many cc’ is it?

• DavidS (@davids) said on 22nd June 2013, 12:21

It’s an intercooler. It cools air from the turbo before it goes into the engine.
      The radiator would be on the other side. It’s not shown, because they would have to include all the plumbing associated with it.

As for how many cc the engine has, the answer is 1600cc.

16. David said on 2nd March 2014, 23:20

Does anyone know what the compression ratio is? Or an educated guess. Also the boost of the turbo.