GT driver Simonsen killed in Le Mans crash

Le Mans 24 Hours

Aston Martin Vantage V8, Le Mans, 2013Danish racing driver Allan Simonsen lost his life in a crash in the opening stages of the Le Mans 24 Hours race earlier today.

Simonsen’s Aston Martin Vantage V8 (a sister car to the one pictured) hit the barrier at Tertre Rouge ten minutes into the race. Although he was attended to quickly by medical personnel and taken to the circuit’s medical centre he succumbed to his injuries.

The Automobile Club de l’Ouest which organises th race issued the following statement:

“Allan Simonsen?s family has been informed immediately by David Richards, Principal of the Aston Martin Racing team.

“Allan Simonsen, an experienced driver aged 34, had taken part in seven 24 Heures du Mans.

“His team mates in the No.95 car were his fellow countrymen, Christoffer Nygaard and Kristian Poulsen.

“The Automobile Club de l?Ouest wishes to express its great sadness following this incident, and extends its deepest condolences to the family and those close to Allan Simonsen.

“The Automobile Club de l?Ouest will make no further statement while the exact reasons for the accident are still being wholly determined.”

58 comments on GT driver Simonsen killed in Le Mans crash

1. Bleeps_and_Tweaks (@bleeps_and_tweaks) said on 22nd June 2013, 21:05

I’ve had the race on all day, and saw the crash earlier. I think the commentators knew it was bad straight away, but I didn’t think for a second it could have been fatal.
    I think I’ve taken it for granted that motorsport these days is so safe. We’ve seen huge crashes from Webber and Kovalainen in F1, and McNish and Davidson at Les Mans, none of which have caused life threatening injuries. This is a major shock and a terrible loss.
    RIP Allan Simonsen.

• bosyber (@bosyber) said on 22nd June 2013, 23:33

@bleeps_and_tweaks, @sigman1998, I think that the difference with those F1 and McNish/Davidson Le mans crashes are their cars are prototypes (F1 too) that have the safety cell crafted into them from the beginning of the design. In an accident they lose bits and look explosive (fly far because they are lighter too), but they are designed from the ground up around having that carbon fiber monocoque to take the energy of impact and protects the driver within from punctures.

That is not the case with GT cars, obviously – yes, they have safety mechanisms, but not to the same standard, inevitably.

Very sad.

2. Coanda (@ming-mong) said on 22nd June 2013, 21:07

After seeing the crash I had a feeling this was the sad news we would later receive. It is never good. A part of me thinks they should red flag the race and call it a day.

3. HiPn0tIc (@hipn0tic) said on 22nd June 2013, 21:08

Problems aside, RIP Simonsen.

4. Tifoso1989 (@tifoso1989) said on 22nd June 2013, 22:24

Very bad news to hear, the second victim in motorsport in 2 weeks (after the marshal’s death in Canada)
    May Allan Simonsen rest in peace

5. andae23 (@andae23) said on 22nd June 2013, 22:26

I saw the crash live and at the time all signs were positive: he was conscious, but was being taken to hospital. And now I just got home and read this horrible news – pretty shocked. RIP Simonsen

6. DaveF1 (@davef1) said on 22nd June 2013, 22:31

Very sad…RIP Allan Simonsen

7. tmax (@tmax) said on 22nd June 2013, 22:34

R.I.P

I was in fact watching this live on TV. It happened Very beginning of the race. Toyota were showing strong pace then. The cameras were on them. There were only a couple of footages shown. I thought it was not very serious. Though the white curtain was a little troublesome. Very sad shows how fragile and dangerous this sport is.

8. Palle (@palle) said on 22nd June 2013, 22:49

I didn’t see the first 6 hours of Lemans, but very sad news to get home to, and especially the Danish camp at Lemans must be in great shock. But I agree that the race must go on. I hope Aston Martin can go on and win their class and that Tom K. in Audi 2 can pay tribute to his late country man by winning. RIP Allan, thoughts to his family, close friends, team and especially to his daughter born in 2012 and her mother.

9. Luc said on 22nd June 2013, 23:10

R.I.P

Heavy crash, from the video it seemed the rollbar was bent, that shouldn’t be easy to achieve.. black day in motorsport.

Very impressive stuff unfortunately, hopefully Aston will win both category’s pro/am in his name.

10. dragoll (@dragoll) said on 23rd June 2013, 0:09

Rest in Peace Simonsen. Sometimes motorsport reminds us, just how fragile life can be. Engineers can create the most sophisticated safety structures, but sometimes, it matters naught.

Its a sad day indeed.

11. Spawinte (@spawinte) said on 23rd June 2013, 0:34

He has a very young child :(

Word is that there was a tree very close behind the part of the barrier he hit, like almost right up against it and he basically hit the tree as the barrier flexed.

• Fisha695 (@fisha695) said on 23rd June 2013, 10:28

Yup that entire run is basically trees right behind the Armco, though I honestly don’t think that’s so much of a problem because it wouldn’t really be any different then hitting a solid concrete wall (it wasn’t as if the car wrapped around the tree like you see with road cars).

• Luc said on 23rd June 2013, 19:39

For me it did make sense, especially if you look at the rollhoop, it’s just bent, that should’ve took quite a bang.

12. Daniel Fidelis (@d-f1delis) said on 23rd June 2013, 5:12

Was seeing it from tv, couldn’t have imagined that was about a fatal crash. The news after the crash were telling that he was ok and conscious…
    Btw, this pic it’s from Bruno Senna’s car not Simonsen.

13. ScuderiaVincero (@scuderiavincero) said on 23rd June 2013, 5:22

Rest in peace Allan Simonsen. You lived as I wish to, doing what you love.

14. Tayyib (@m0nzaman) said on 23rd June 2013, 11:42

No one should die doing this. Motor Racing is dangerous. RIP Allan Simonsen.

15. Tayyib (@m0nzaman) said on 23rd June 2013, 11:47