Marussia have “made a massive step forward”

F1 Fanatic round-up

Jules Bianchi, Marussia, Circuit Gilles Villeneuve, Montreal, 2013In the round-up: Marussia believe they have made huge progress this year.

Links

Your daily digest of F1 news, views, features and more.

Marussia ask for ‘level playing field’ on Formula One prize money (The Guardian)

Graeme Lowdon: “Outside of Mercedes we have probably made the biggest step forward in sheer pace. We have made a massive step forward. People can see we are doing a good job on extremely limited resources. We have a suitably obscene amount of money to go motor racing with but nowhere near the levels of the other teams.”

Lewis: ‘Any driver, any place’ (Sky)

“I would go up against any driver. Any time, any place. Any team. Whoever it is, that’s not a worry for me, I would have happily been Sebastian [Vettel's] team-mate. He has a great car, so it would have been a great experience.”

Hamilton says test ban ‘sucks’ (Autosport)

“That [the ban] does suck a little bit because that test is quite an important test for the year – it’s the only test really. It’s important because we had a lot planned, upgrades and stuff, that we were hoping to test on those three days.”

Bernie Ecclestone : ‘I am not sure what happiness is’ (The Times, subscription required)

“I am not sure what happiness is. What do those feelings mean? I have experienced satisfaction when I have planned something and it has come off. But happiness? I am not so sure.”

McLaren trial upgrades ahead of Silverstone race (F1)

Managing director Jonathan Neale: “The only issue with our car is we lack downforce and that is what we are trying to create at the moment. We’ve got a range of upgrades for the weekend but we’re not there just testing parts, but testing some fundamental understanding issues as well.”

Stefano Domenicali: “We would like to always start from pole…” (Adam Cooper’s F1 Blog)

“The aim is to at least be consistently on the top two rows. Obviously, we would like to always start from pole, which would make everything much easier and that would be even more the case when you consider our car?s potential in the race itself.”

Claire Williams: How rude to ask when I’ll get pregnant (The Telegraph)

“We at Williams have a skills shortage so if girls are coming up to the right level why on earth wouldn’t we recruit from the pool where 50% of society is female?”

Q&A with Jean-Pierre Menrath (Renault)

“In terms of design, the modern simulation tools didn?t exist back then [in the 1980s], nor did all the computer systems and software used to design the engines more effectively and track their performance more accurately. There was no telemetry, no data acquisition. For the record, the driver could alter the booster pressure. Our ‘telltale’ was a dial with a needle that was stuck pointing up. So, at the end of the day, the level of monitoring was somewhat limited. Nowadays, engine technology is a lot more effective. We?re very close to the complex systems used in aerospace.”

The ??nightmare?? of aerodynamic correlation (GoCar)

“While correlating the factory-based models (CFD and/or tunnel) with track, a ‘common language’ has to be established. Otherwise the exercise would risk becoming a sort of guessing game and quite often a cause of painful confrontation… In other words, similar conditions have to be ensured if at all possible, and the un-removable differences need to be recognized and known in terms of effects, for them to be taken into account very, very carefully.”

A never ending tradition (Ferrari)

Pat Fry: “We?ve got a few upgrades coming through for this weekend and so we have to ensure we are well prepared to run them.”

Narain Karthikeyan: “Auto GP is a great championship” (Auto GP)

“I wanted to continue racing in a powerful and extremely competitive single-seater championship and thus Auto GP was a logical choice in this context.”

Tweets

Comment of the day

Over 70% of F1 Fanatic readers consider Mercedes’ test ban too lenient but Andy isn’t one of them:

Compared to a tyre test, this is a fully-fledged test where you can do anything you want to. Pirelli would have never allowed Mercedes to bolt on never-raced updates; that would have contaminated the data. At the Young Drivers Test on the other hand they can do that, with tyres that are known by now.

I also see the eagerness to downplay the input of a “young driver”. Most teams actually do not run a young driver, but a driver who has extensive experience in both other racing series and the in-house simulator. Rest assured: they know perfectly how to drive, operate and set up an F1 car! Therefore, the quality of their input will be only slightly behind that of a regular F1 driver (so much for Helmut Marko?s comments).

Even beside that, the teams run a huge amount of sensors, racks and flow-vis paint. Even completely without any input of the driver they will be able to gather huge amounts of data.

Mercedes drove with until-now never used tyres, will most likely not have been able to test any updates and were limited to 1000km. You can do an additional 500-750km on the same three days if you want to.
Andy (@Turbof1)

What’#s your view on Mercedes’ test ban? Have your say here:

From the forum

Happy birthday!

Happy birthday to Alex Bkk, Greg, Kathryn S and Lemon!

On this day in F1

We mentioned a French F1 driver of the eighties here yesterday so let’s make it two and a row and wish a happy 58th birthday to Philippe Streiff!

Streiff scored a podium finish in his sixth start in the inaugural Australian Grand Prix of 1985, having taken over from Andrea de Cesaris at Ligier. That third place was the peak of his achievements in F1 though he did claim four ‘class wins’ in the Jim Clark Cup for non-turbo competitors in 1987.

For 1988 he rejoined AGS, who he had raced for in Formula Two. But during pre-season testing in 1989 he suffered a major crash at the Jacarepagua circuit in Brazil. A spinal cord injury left Streiff with paralysis.

Image ?? Marussia

75 comments on Marussia have “made a massive step forward”

1. karter22 (@karter22) said on 26th June 2013, 11:06

Bernie is definitely real life´s Mr. Burns. He does not know what happiness is and it is extremely sad.

On another note, It is impressive how one can despise a driver at first and then warm up to him on sheer talent and a gun-ho attitude. I used to hate Lewis in 2007 and 2008 (specially 2008) and now that I´ve started to notice how good he really is, I´ve totally warmed up to him and although I´m a Ferrari/Alonso fan, he is definitely without a doubt my second favorite driver. It´s comments like the one in the roundup that really do it for me! The guy is fearles and I hope he does get his wish! It would be awesome to see him going toe to toe with the “kid” and see who comes out on top. I feel, that there would definitely be sparks coming from inside RBR if that were to happen but it´s likely not to happen because SV is so well protected in RBR that I´m sure, just like in the Ferrari case, that they would not welcome another rooster into the “kid´s” henhouse. It would definitely be interesting to watch though!

2. Max Jacobson (@vettel1) said on 26th June 2013, 12:48

If I were Hamilton I wouldn’t be so confident of taking on Vettel on his turf: I’d absolutely support him should he choose to do so as I feel the battle would be excellent, but he smacks of arrogance in saying “he has a great car” – I believe the implication in that statement is that he doesn’t feel Vettel would be a huge challenge (given his history of complimenting Newey over Vettel; a clear sign he thinks Vettel’s success is solely down to the car).

Given the fact he’s walked into Mercedes and failed to entirely stamp his authority as many expected against Rosberg (of course he’s still beating him, but Rosberg is the member of the team whom has won first) I am highly skeptical that he could beat Vettel. In actual fact, I think Vettel would beat him without having to break too much of a sweat in a Red Bull (for the first season at least). So really my message to Hamilton is I wouldn’t be so sure of myself: relish the challenge but don’t talk as if you’d succeed so easily.

• HiPn0tIc (@hipn0tic) said on 26th June 2013, 13:31

he’s still beating him

You’ve said it all…

• Robbie (@robbie) said on 26th June 2013, 15:31

Personally I don’t think LH has said anything here that isn’t true or that any driver wouldn’t say. The fact is Vettel has a great car and that is the necessary ingredient to winning a WDC. I’m sure all the drivers on the grid not currently driving for RBR would love to have their hands on the WCC winning car and have their turn to prove themselves. He doesn’t say being Vettel’s teammate would mean he would beat him soundly. He says it would be a great challenge, not a cakewalk. And that he is not afraid of any teammate. I think any WDC would say the same thing.

• Deej92 (@deej92) said on 26th June 2013, 15:33

Hamilton is beating Rosberg though, who has had 3 more seasons than him at Mercedes, so I feel he is doing as expected. Both drivers are extremely quick so he’s doing a good job.
      I do disagree with Hamilton (or anyone) if he is indicating that Vettel’s success is all down to the cars he’s had, but I feel he would give him a good fight in the same car.

• Max Jacobson (@vettel1) said on 26th June 2013, 22:15

@deej92 don’t get me wrong it’s a fight I’d love to see but I think he may indeed be implying he’d find it to be a cakewalk, which it hasn’t been at Mercedes (again, he is winging but not dominantly) so yea really I think he should just leave it at “I’d like to be in the same team as Vettel” without going on to talk about the car!

• Deej92 (@deej92) said on 26th June 2013, 23:01

@vettel1 I may be misinterpreting Hamilton’s comments, but what I take from them is that being Vettel’s team-mate in a great car would a great challenge.
          I don’t think Hamilton, or any other driver really (or I sincerely hope not), is naïve enough to believe Vettel’s successes are all down to the cars, because that theory is very wide of the mark. I know there have been comments suggesting it’s all down to Newey, but I just can’t take them seriously, and any driver who thinks it would be easy to take on Vettel in the same car needs to rethink.

• Max Jacobson (@vettel1) said on 26th June 2013, 23:31

@deej92 agreed entirely: I’ve probably been inflammatory based purely on his past history (“Fernando is a great driver” “Vettel has a great car” etc.) but I would sincerely hope he would not be so naïve!

I agree entirely though: I reckon actually no driver would give Hamilton such a difficult challenge of the current crop (I don’t say Alonso purely for the reason that Hamilton is a better qualifier but Alonso a better racer which deflects a certain element of pressure, whereas Vettel and Hamilton both have very similar strengths and weaknesses). So yes, the battle would be epic!

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 27th June 2013, 8:25

I think Hamilton would have to learn more from his experience with Alonso, and with Button, but also from Rosberg now before he would be able to get on top of Vettel @vettel1.
          His best opportunity would be for them do do so when both go to Ferrari (a new team for both), because from what I see about Vettel, he has the team perfectly mastered (I see that as a positive and critical skill – see Alonso at Ferrari, or Schumi at Ferrari before, but also how Button got under Hamiltons skin at McLaren) and it will be very tough to beat Vettel “on his own turf”, if Hamilton is capable of it at all.

3. Pirelli wouldn’t allow Mercedes to run new aero parts everything else they wouldn’t know about and besides Mercedes wasn’t going to risk their data with new aero parts, I think the penalty is okay only because of the ruling.

4. AbeyG (@1abe) said on 26th June 2013, 15:17

I would go up against any driver. Any time, any place. Any team.

Okay Lewis… Time- 2011, Place- Any race weekend, Driver- Jenson, Team- McLaren….

go, go, go….

5. Andy (@turbof1) said on 26th June 2013, 16:03

A good wide spread round up I have to say. Not really one topic sticking out, but several interesting topics in this one. Cheers Keith!