Rate the race: 2013 British Grand Prix

2013 British Grand Prix

Kimi Raikkonen, Lotus, Silverstone, 2013

What did you think of the today’s race? Share your verdict on the British Grand Prix.

Rate the race out of ten and leave a comment below:

Rate the 2013 British Grand Prix out of ten

• 1 (5%)
  • 2 (2%)
  • 3 (3%)
  • 4 (2%)
  • 5 (6%)
  • 6 (6%)
  • 7 (11%)
  • 8 (27%)
  • 9 (29%)
  • 10 (9%)

Total Voters: 851

Loading ... Loading ...

1 = ‘Terrible’, 10 = ‘Perfect’

This is the 101st edition of Rate the Race – see how the first 100 races were ranked:

2013 British Grand Prix

Browse all 2013 British Grand Prix articles

Image ?é?® Lotus/LAT

314 comments on Rate the race: 2013 British Grand Prix

1 2 3 11
  1. sushant008 (@sushant008) said on 30th June 2013, 14:38

A nail-biting race all the way for all good n bad reasons.gave it 9!

2. Pete (@repete86) said on 30th June 2013, 14:39

It was going to be a 1 for me until that last ten laps. Now it’s a 2.

• HoHum (@hohum) said on 30th June 2013, 15:18

definitely some serious negative points but as you say the last few laps before and after the last safety car gave us the F1 we want. Av.5+1 =6 from me.

• Pete (@repete86) said on 30th June 2013, 15:28

Yeah, the last few laps had some phenomenal racing, and the Hamilton/DiResta battle was great, but I just can’t get over the tire situation. It’s just dangerous at this point. The fact that no one got hurt is incredibly lucky.

• TommyB (@tommyb89) said on 30th June 2013, 15:59

Without the explosions it would have been a ten but watching on knowing a huge accident could happen at any moment wasn’t fun at all. It was uncomfortable viewing for me.

• TMF (@tmf42) said on 30th June 2013, 16:16

I still had to give it a 1. Frankly the race should have been red flagged. 3 explosions and a couple of other defective tires wasn’t safe anymore. They all were extremely lucky that no incident took place in a corner and just on straights resp. that no one was around Massa.

• sato113 (@sato113) said on 30th June 2013, 18:30

so you gave it a 1 based on tyre safety alone? a ‘terrible’ race? are you blind? I saw a cracking race with some immense wheel to wheel action all the way. 9/10.

• TMF (@tmf42) said on 30th June 2013, 18:57

@sato113 if you take the laps after the 2nd SC yep you’re right. But the race itself was a lottery – bordering on russian roulette. And I have a hard time to enjoy entertainment if safety is neglected. But could be that I’m a bit oversensitive after last week.

• sato113 (@sato113) said on 30th June 2013, 19:29

ok but it’s people like you (no offence) who skew these rate the race results every race. giving it a 1 based something but also admitting that some of the race was good. at least a 4 or 5 if you were really appalled by the 4 tyre failures.

• yellowsapphire (@yellowsapphire) said on 30th June 2013, 20:33

It’s also people like you (again, no offence) who skew the results. This race was unsafe. End of.

9/10 for that race? So, what you’re saying is that that race was close to perfect for you and you want more tyre delaminations? You like the unsafe tyres and want them every weekend? Because that’s what ’9/10′ says.

• Alexander (@alexanderfin) said on 30th June 2013, 21:15

• OmarR-Pepper (@omarr-pepper) said on 30th June 2013, 21:57

@yellowsapphire I don’t know how the race rate is with 9 at 29%. I thought the time of fun at the Roman Colisseum had ended, but see that many people liked this “near miss” race

• MethylONE (@methylone) said on 1st July 2013, 4:08

Clearly that isn’t what people mean. Why would you even say that? The race was very exciting, the tire issues were not ‘planned’ or ‘staged’ it is just what happened.

Why would you say that when you know that isn’t what people mean?

• yellowsapphire (@yellowsapphire) said on 1st July 2013, 4:32

Using the scale, 1 is terrible and 10 is perfect. Someone rating Silverstone a 9 would indicate that the race, to them, was ‘almost perfect’, little wrong with it. By rating it ‘almost perfect’ one could probably assume, rather correctly I’d imagine, that the individual enjoyed it, enjoyed the excitement the tyres caused.

• Pete (@repete86) said on 30th June 2013, 21:30

Fernando Alonso and Kimi Raikkonen almost got hit in the head at 190 mph by a chunks of steel belted tire because of a politics. Remember when Felipe Massa was hit in the head by a piece of another car at those speeds? This was unsafe, and there’s no excuse for it.

• yellowsapphire (@yellowsapphire) said on 30th June 2013, 21:48

Exactly. I hate to be cliché but a delamination like that can cause a fatal accident. Now, I am very much aware that all motorsport is dangerous, and fatal accidents can happen at any race.

This race could never be a ’9/10′ for me, because a race in which a part of the equipment is malfunctioning to the point where it is dangerous is not a race I can place as “near to perfect”.

The fact that we didn’t have a big accident is a testament to all the drivers. Despite the safety issue, we had some decent racing, but we should not let that gloss over the fact that this race was incredibly unsafe and dangerous.

• Putti SPIII (@veldaarf1) said on 1st July 2013, 12:15

Alonso and Kimi were lucky. It is a very serious issue

• zippyone (@zippyone) said on 1st July 2013, 13:08

I also gave a 1, first time ever, it was very scary and not enjoyable at all.

I did carry on watching after JEV’s explosion but felt the race should have been red flagged right then. Kimi could have been seriously injured or even killed, was it worth it to carry on? No.

Luckily there were no injuries. Spoilt what would have been a great race and would probably have got an 8/9 vote from me.

• Max Jacobson (@vettel1) said on 30th June 2013, 21:29

I’ve gone for a 3: the last laps were very engaging and to be honest I care not a jot Vettel retired as it didn’t really affect the race but I’m just angry over these tyre failures – it’s completely ridiculous. I actually wanted them to stop the race after the first 20-odd laps out of remorse for Hamilton (a driver I don’t like) and all the others.

I am incredibly ****** that teams would block changes having seen this.

• Bobby Balboa (@bobby-balboa) said on 30th June 2013, 22:59

@vettel1

So far you don’t like Hamilton and Ferrari and judging by your name you don’t mind when your favourite driver retires from the lead.

So why do you watch F1?

• juan fanger (@juan-fanger) said on 30th June 2013, 23:40

When @vettel1 says

to be honest I care not a jot Vettel retired

he’s not really being honest.

• Max Jacobson (@vettel1) said on 1st July 2013, 12:35

@juan-fanger no, I absolutely promise you I meant every word of that comment. I care more about the sport than my driver.

@bobby-balboa I watch F1 because I enjoy seeing the fastest track cars in the world with some of the best drivers in the world racing wheel-to-wheel. When tyres begin exploding the sporting integrity is ruined and I can no longer enjoy watching the race for fear of the same thing happening to any other driver (Vettel included).

That is why I don’t care that Vettel retired: the same thing could’ve happened to him and potentially it could have resulted in a big accident. That’s not enjoyable to watch.

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 1st July 2013, 10:24

I think its perfectly fine to love the sport and see a great race, even when the winning is done by a driver you do not like as much. There’s no doubt the best part of the race happened despite (or maybe even because) Vettel dropping out, so its good to acknowledge that in your rating when you are a true fan of the sport. Its not the result, but the way it came about that we rate.

3. kcarrey (@kcarrey) said on 30th June 2013, 14:39

i like to thank the crowd for their cheers before the 2nd SC!

• James Eden (@jameseden) said on 30th June 2013, 18:14

You’re welcome ;)

• TdM (@tdm) said on 30th June 2013, 18:37

It was spontaneous. The crowd jus went crazy. I was there and I can tell you that from track side, that race was awesome. Just sick behind a porsche supercup motorhome on the way home now.

• Diego (@ironcito) said on 1st July 2013, 0:45

What’s with all the Vettel hating? Vettel was only 2-3 seconds ahead of Rosberg when he retired, so it’s not like he had a boring 30-second lead. We would have seen some exciting racing towards the end of the race, even if he had not retired. Another German inherited the lead and no Briton got on the podium, so it’s not a matter of nationalities, either. Furthermore, the comments I’ve seen aren’t generically aimed at whoever happened to be the race/championship leader at the time (whose retirement would make the championship race more interesting), they all seem to show hatred towards Vettel in particular.

4. Ginger (@ginger) said on 30th June 2013, 14:39

9! What a race, I know the tyre situation wasn’t ideal, well far from but made for an exciting race. Wow.

5. Chris (@tophercheese21) said on 30th June 2013, 14:39

The laps after the final safety car was how the entire race SHOULD have been. Had the potential, but the tyres were just rubbish.

• Chris (@tophercheese21) said on 30th June 2013, 14:44

Pros:
      - Webber’s incredible drive at the end.
      - Hamilton and Alonso fighting back
      - The last 10 or so laps were absolutely terrific!

Cons:
      - The Pirelli people need a serious kick up the backside, because that was a disgrace.
      - 4 “punctures” (more like tyre failures), is just not good enough.

Pirelli MUST change the construction of them. It’s simply not good enough!

• bananarama (@bananarama) said on 30th June 2013, 15:06

Considering many drivers had cuts in their tyres, how exactly is Pirelli to blame for that? In case the teams were right and something cut them between turn 3 and 5, I don’t think any tyre manufacturer could do much about it. If it turns out the tyres just blew up all by themselves then yes, that would be a real problem that needs to be addressed. These weren’t just the kind of delaminations we saw this season so far, these were old-school blowing up tyres by the looks of it. We’ll see.

• HoHum (@hohum) said on 30th June 2013, 15:25

Yes exactly, how could I have been so wrong, the tyres are great, I now think Bernies idea of sprinklers is pure genius, only instead of sprinkling water we will have them sprinkle carbonfibre shards, how good will that be.

• Patrickl (@patrickl) said on 30th June 2013, 18:12

Lol, yeah and the shortcuts thing sounded great too. maybe create tracks with a “figure eight” configuration for extra tension.

• Pete (@repete86) said on 30th June 2013, 16:19

Why weren’t they being cut there last year? The track hasn’t changed.

• Eric (@) said on 30th June 2013, 17:39

@bananarama

Where were the tyre failures last year? Or the year before? Or the year before that?

Once is an incident, two is a coincidence, three times a pattern. It happened four times (almost five) so I doubt it’s because of the kerbs.

• bananarama (@bananarama) said on 30th June 2013, 20:39

In 2004 Michelin had 4 tyre failures at Spa and said it was not the construction. It is not unique but I agree, structural problems with the tyres do have to be addressed.

• Max Jacobson (@vettel1) said on 30th June 2013, 21:31

@bananarama we didn’t have exploding tyres last year or in many years previous, and to my knowledge we didn’t have any tyre failures akin to these and the kerbs haven’t been changed. It’s pretty ridiculous I think and these tyres simply must be changed now.

• DC (@dujedcv) said on 30th June 2013, 15:39

After the 3rd puncture I was actually afraid that we were going to see Indy 05 again. Luckily, it turned out to be great, proper and dramatic race.

• Guilherme (@guilherme) said on 30th June 2013, 15:47

@dujedcv It stopped being a proper race after Massa’s blowout and the last nail on the coffin was the ridiculous second safety car period.

I fear we’re edging ever closer to NASCAR-style entertainment…

• Eric (@) said on 30th June 2013, 17:42

@guilherme

Exactly. I fear for the future of F1 if most fans only tune in when a race turns into a lottery.

I also still don’t understand that 2nd SC. Vettel’s car was nowhere near the racing line and even if someone would have had an incident he would have crashed into Vettel’s. How many times have we seen cars parked on the inside of the track without SC’s being deployed.

• Patrick (@paeschli) said on 30th June 2013, 17:54

@baron-2 I agree with you. I think they sent the SC out because they were afraid of more tyre problems.

• Mallu said on 30th June 2013, 14:45

Don’t think so! The only action that happened was between fresh tyres and old ones. It was always meant to be.

• Kodongo (@kodongo) said on 30th June 2013, 14:46

Exactly. Some of the best racing has been in disabled DRS moments: opening laps of the Bahrain Grand Prix with VET-ROS-ALO and the post-safety car racing today. I don’t know why we need this stupid tool two times per lap at every grand prix; it makes no sense.

• Chris (@tophercheese21) said on 30th June 2013, 14:49

Oh I had no problems with the DRS today.

They probably could have done away with one of them (take your pick), but I couldn’t give a stuff about DRS today.

The tyres robbed Lewis of a win.

• David (@neiana) said on 30th June 2013, 15:05

The tires robbed Lewis of a chance to win, not a win outright. Had Vettel’s car not failed and Lews’ tire not “puncture”, I think it would’ve been one hell of a race.

But all these high ratings for the RBR failing? I rate these ratings a 1.

• Chris (@tophercheese21) said on 30th June 2013, 14:46

Gave the race a 6.
      Would have been a 2 or so had the last few laps not been as brilliant as they were.

• sato113 (@sato113) said on 30th June 2013, 18:31

no way. the entire race would have been more strung out and uninteresting had the SC periods not happened.

6. Fer no.65 (@fer-no65) said on 30th June 2013, 14:39

The last 10 laps or so completely overshadowed what was a TERRIBLE Grand Prix.

Pirelli’s failures cannot be overlooked. This is seriously worrying, and really really dangerous.

Not happy at all. 3 failures in no time, and then a last one in the end. All in fast straights, we’re lucky this isn’t Spa, and the walls are not that close… F1 should react INMEDIATELY.

• David BR2 said on 30th June 2013, 15:33

How long has it been now that some of the top drivers like Webber and Hamilton have been complaining that they can’t push these tyres? People have overlooked the complaints, enjoying the spectacle caused by the careful combination of rapid tyre degradation and DRS to ensure lots of overtaking. But today their fragility has shown the danger lurking behind this approach if Pirelli get it wrong. Lucky it was on one of the most forgiving circuits on the calendar.

An investigation is needed, but it seems revealing to me that Hamilton – a driver who puts tyres under more stress and uses the kerbs hard – was the first to experience the blow out, just when he was opening up an advantage as race leader. Precisely the kind of (fast) driving the current specifications prevent. And he was followed by Massa, who again was pushing hardest at the start of the race.

Dismal that drivers first have to nurse tyres to ensure they last, and now have to be careful they don’t explode.

• svarun (@svarun) said on 30th June 2013, 15:44

Gave a 7.
      Completely accept the above comments,apart from webber’s and alonso’s late race charge ,it was just tiring watching the tyres.

7. Zantkiller (@zantkiller) said on 30th June 2013, 14:40

Most up and down race ever, it had everything.

8. Traverse (@) said on 30th June 2013, 14:40

R.I.P Pirelli

• Chris (@tophercheese21) said on 30th June 2013, 14:50

• Piyush (@square-route) said on 30th June 2013, 15:38

+4 … one for each tyres

• svarun (@svarun) said on 30th June 2013, 15:45

Time for a new supplier in f1.
      Is it possible for 2 suppliers of tyres in 2014?

• Traverse (@) said on 30th June 2013, 17:22

@svarun
        We all know what happened the last time there were two different tyre manufacturers! Best to keep it simple and stick to one.
        There’s no doubt that action must be taken to ensure that tyre failures like these today are kept to a bare minimum, else Pirelli should be shown the door…That being said, one could argue that Pirelli have only done what was asked of them, after all, today’s race was made more “explosive” by the tyre blow-outs (even if it is an unacceptable occurrence).

Still this is the pinnacle of motorsport and seeing tyres disintegrate and the rubber fall away from the wheel like chicken meat falling off the bone (you have to try my patented, world famous fried shoryuken-chicken to get that experience, yummy!!) isn’t something that screams premium or prestige, qualities that F1 is famed for.

• DC (@dujedcv) said on 30th June 2013, 16:01

I really wonder how is this all F1 thing affecting their road car tyre sales?

• D (@f190) said on 30th June 2013, 16:35

I guess badly. An f1 fan may still buy them as they know the reasons and the brief Pirelli were asked to work to. The average person will see later on the news that Pirelli put drivers at risk and had 4 blow outs in one race which also cost a brit driver a home win.

• Traverse (@) said on 30th June 2013, 16:37

You’re right, even though their F1 program has nothing to do with their road tyres, mud sticks and subconsciously people may just associate the Pirelli “brand” with the words puncture and failure. It might put some people off.

• gregwtravels (@gregwtravels) said on 30th June 2013, 18:36

On one hand, in the future tyre suppliers may be put off providing tyres to F1 in the event they are concerned about bad publicity.

On the other, how many non-F1 fans would even know about the tyre woes? Just saying that you are the supplier for F1 might be good enough publicity as most people don’t follow the races, and would only think “Hey, that’s the top racing league in the world. I should get those tyres.”

• AdrianMorse (@adrianmorse) said on 30th June 2013, 18:09

@hellotraverse, you may be right this will mean the exit of Pirelli. The ironic thing is, I thought the performance levels of the tyres was spot on: it allowed the drivers to push and race each, while still awarding drivers to make two or three stops.

• Traverse (@) said on 30th June 2013, 18:13

@adrianmorse
        You’re so right! That’s what makes the failures so frustrating. Pirelli are so close to developing the perfect F1 tyre and thus experience for the drivers and fans alike, yet, some how they always find a way to balls it up.

9. Dimitris 1395 (@dimitris-1395) said on 30th June 2013, 14:40

If there hadn’t been the tyre parody, it would have been a fantastic race. Especially the final laps were amazing! Great overtakes, phenomenal drives. But there were the tyres. It was a big joke. It was what we haven’t seen in Indy ’05. I feel awful that this race will be remembered for all the wrong reasons

10. sw280 (@sw280) said on 30th June 2013, 14:41

I thought it was a stunning race. Pirelli nearly made it into a farce though. Well done to Nico, but Lewis and Mark were DotD.

• nackavich (@nackavich) said on 30th June 2013, 15:11

Mark drove a SUPREME recovery, he looks so good around Silverstone. Ricciardo drove really well and it was unlucky he was on the wrong tyres at the end. I thought the Top 5 or so drove really, really well.

11. djdaveyp85 (@djdaveyp87) said on 30th June 2013, 14:41

5 out of 10. Good racing, but the tyre blowouts were a disgrace. I blame the teams though, not Pirelli. F1 shooting itself in the foot again. Pirelli have a solution and the teams won’t let it in. When is this sport going to stop being self governed? It’s holding it back.

12. Fosr Mortin (@fosrone) said on 30th June 2013, 14:41

1/10, horrible race with only final 7 laps of actual racing, cheating and unpunished mercedes get away with another win again, way too many punctures not letting anyone push.

13. Mike Dee (@mike-dee) said on 30th June 2013, 14:42

There will need to be new tyres very soon!

14. Saints (@saints) said on 30th June 2013, 14:42

What a great race, definitely 10

15. Aditya F. Yahya (@adityafakhri) said on 30th June 2013, 14:42

HAM vs The Grumpy Cat was exciting, the cars were always so close. a lot of actions, overtaking, and dramas. but the stupid tyres and 2nd DRS ruined it. all in all, pros weigh equal with down. so I’m giving 5.

1 2 3 11