Rate the race: 2013 British Grand Prix

2013 British Grand Prix

Kimi Raikkonen, Lotus, Silverstone, 2013

What did you think of the today’s race? Share your verdict on the British Grand Prix.

Rate the race out of ten and leave a comment below:

Rate the 2013 British Grand Prix out of ten

• 1 (5%)
  • 2 (2%)
  • 3 (3%)
  • 4 (2%)
  • 5 (6%)
  • 6 (6%)
  • 7 (11%)
  • 8 (27%)
  • 9 (29%)
  • 10 (9%)

Total Voters: 851

Loading ... Loading ...

1 = ‘Terrible’, 10 = ‘Perfect’

This is the 101st edition of Rate the Race – see how the first 100 races were ranked:

2013 British Grand Prix

Browse all 2013 British Grand Prix articles

Image ?? Lotus/LAT

314 comments on Rate the race: 2013 British Grand Prix

1. Jason (@jason12) said on 30th June 2013, 21:29

Massa’s tyre blew up!
    I wonder what’s Ferrari’s position on improving the tyres now.

2. Hyoko said on 30th June 2013, 21:53

Nobody commenting on Lotus’s “team orders?”. Yep, I got the sarcasm in the radio message to Grossjean: “Kimi is faster than you”, but still it sounded like a TO to me.

3. michiamogino (@michiamogino) said on 30th June 2013, 22:07

I don’t think the race would be so good without (tyres + gearbox)..
    but.. a lot of overtake + thrilling finale: 8

4. metalman71589 (@metalman71589) said on 30th June 2013, 22:15

Vettel didn’t finish? 10.

5. Josie Maunders (@jbmaunders) said on 30th June 2013, 22:22

In all honesty I have never been so ashamed to be British. Today at Silverstone, the amount of boos aimed at Vettel for inheriting a lead through no fault of his own were awful, and this was not the first time this weekend it happened. Whenever he was just shown on the screens the crowd started to act like ignorant children. The amount of cheers when his gearbox failed almost made me want to leave. I understand the British public may not like Vettel, but it is incredibly unsporting & immature to boo a driver. I’m just glad Vettel is grown up enough, unlike the crowd, to be able to laugh at himself: asking the crowd to boo for him at the after race show so he could video it on his phone.

After today I am seriously put off ever going back to Silverstone; I’d rather go anywhere else. Shame as I always thought of it as a great British day to take pride in.

• Jon Sandor (@jonsan) said on 30th June 2013, 23:13

Yeah, the low quality of F1 fans (if that’s what they deserve to be called – I have my doubts on that score) is one of the biggest shortcomings to this sport.

• Nick (@npf1) said on 30th June 2013, 23:47

There are Facebook pages that were celebrating Vettel’s DNF as if it was a Mars landing and people commenting on those posts with statements regarding Vettel’s health I’m not going to repeat here.

I’ve said before that Vettel inherited the hatred people had for Schumacher; but back then not as many people managed to make fools out of themselves in front of the entire world..

6. smudgersmith1 (@smudgersmith1) said on 30th June 2013, 22:29

Five blown tyres, Lewis robbed of a win, ridiculous safety car rule re the back markers meant Webber ran out time to chase down Webber, I found it way too frustrating….2

7. Peter (@malaclypse) said on 30th June 2013, 22:44

Following the success of movies like “Watch for These Tyres”, “Save Fuel” and “Don’t Use KERS”, now comes the critically acclaimed masterpiece “Don’t Use Curbs”, written and directed by Bernard C. Ecclestone.
    — My opinion: The ending was ok, but in great parts it reminded me of “Man of Steel”, with all the stuff blowing up. At least CGI explosions looked decent. I gave it a 6 on IMDb.

8. Jay (@j-rva) said on 30th June 2013, 23:07

Had to give it a 6. A lot of great racing, especially at the end. Loved watching Massa and Hamilton’s recovery drives, and Webber running down Rosberg; I did not enjoy the exploding tires.

9. Ron (@rcorporon) said on 30th June 2013, 23:11

Also, nice to see that the “class” shown by my fellow Canadian fans carried over across the Atlantic (and to many members here) in the booing of Vettel / cheering his DNF.

I personally cannot stand Lewis Hamilton but was far from cheering as his tire blew and his chances at winning the race blew up with it. I like seeing all drivers, even those who do not rank very high up on my list, perform to the best of their ability and finish races.

I’d hoped that F1 fans were a bit more classy than their NASCAR counterparts.

10. Colm (@colm) said on 1st July 2013, 0:42

Great race and all caused by ****** tyres. A lot of sublime performances today too!

I thought Williams were going to have a special livery for their 600th gp too but I didnt see it??

11. Njack (@njack) said on 1st July 2013, 1:04

7/10 till the second safety car, 9/10 after, 8/10 overall.

Hopefully some of the “experts” at FIA watch the last 7 laps repeatedly so they can understand why racing is better than tyre conservation runs.

12. Mariano (@mariano) said on 1st July 2013, 1:19

There have been so many good performances in this race that it will be very difficult to vote for just one driver of the weekend!

13. djbasumatari (@djbasumatari) said on 1st July 2013, 2:28

doesn’t make sense to be rating a race which was high on excitement due to the wrong reasons. tyres going off, putting drivers to such extreme risks, is more like a gladiatorial contest. they should have red flagged the race

14. UTBowler0407 (@utbowler0407) said on 1st July 2013, 3:56

I really struggled with my rating on this one. Up until the last ~10 laps, the race was a 1 or 2/10. The race was an absolute farce. As much as I’m sure people will say “quit whining, you asked Pirelli to build tires with more deg”, it’s ludicrous to think that asking for tires that don’t repeatedly puncture spontaneously is too much. The racing after the last SC, however, was abso-bloody-lutely brilliant. In the end, the physicist in me won out and I decided to do a weighted average; it came out to around 3.5, which I rounded to 4/10 out of generosity.

This is really the first race where I have no clue what to feel. I’m angry that Pirelli can’t seem to get the compounds right, but the finish was so spectacular, though…I’ll need some time to stew over this one.

15. Travis (@mcmerctn) said on 1st July 2013, 6:17

Tires were terrible, no doubt. It wasn’t as bad as say, the NASCAR Cup race at Indy in ’08 (they needed cautions every ~10 laps or so for fear of right side blowouts), but the tires shouldn’t blow out like that unless someone had a puncture or something like that. The race until Vettel’s gearbox quit wasn’t great, and quite scary considering the tire situation. After that yellow, the racing got really good. Good amount of overtaking, even without DRS (Webber and Raikkonen in particular) after that yellow, and most guys had no issues with tire conservation in that stint. DRS was still a bit too effective at times (what I mean by that is that DRS exists), but it didn’t usually hand the pass on a silver platter the way it did in other races. I’d say a 8/10, would’ve been much higher without all those blowouts though.